The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Increase bonus for healing kits  (Read 1003 times)

Pen N Popper

Increase bonus for healing kits
« on: April 05, 2007, 02:58:03 pm »
The difference in usefulness between a +1 and a +9 healing kit is not proportional to the effort involved in crafting them.  Keeping the recipe the same but changing the four types to +3, +6, +12, +24 would make them more useful.  The +1 and +3 ones are sold at merchants.  (Those higher bonuses are completely arbitrary and I don't think anyone would have a problem with bumping them up further.)

Alternatively, recipes could be changed to produce two (or three?) bandages per successful attempt thus doubling their effectiveness in a more mundane way.

Stephen_Zuckerman

Re: Increase bonus for healing kits
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 03:05:02 pm »
+1, +3, +6, +12.

Let's recall that anything over +14 grants auto-success on the Heal check.

Masterjack

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 03:59:12 pm »
I agree. I could make a +9 bandage with the ingredient that I have or add a bodak's tooth and make a cure critical potion (+35 HP when used). The ingredients for both require about the same amount of effort to gather. So I think it would be a good idea to get more bandages when you make them, or increase the bonus.

On another note. I think it would be a good idea to make a higher level of bandage, that uses essence of heal instead of cure.

Masterjack

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 04:47:59 pm »
Quote from: Pen N Popper
The difference in usefulness between a +1 and a +9 healing kit is not proportional to the effort involved in crafting them.

I agree with this. It's not even proportional to the cost difference when buying them at a shop (for +1 vs +3) where they're something like twice as expensive or more.

I only ever bother with +1 heal kits since the bonus is negligible compared to the value of a character that would use heal kits heal skill.

For instance, a lvl 14 char with 17 heal heals 18 hp with a +1 kit. The same character pays 2x (or whatever the difference is) for a +3 heal kit (or they spend 2x the CNR on a +3 heal kit) then they heal 20 hp. Thats very little added value when they could just use the same resources to obtain 2 +1 kits healing a total of 36 hp together.

The only advantage of the +3 in this case is that it only takes them 1 round to heal 20 hp rather than 2 rounds to heal 36 hp. But 36 is so much larger than 20 that this benefit isn't really worth it.

---

Perhaps a solution to the issue that Stephen brings up is to make the bonus not count toward the heal check to see if you succeed but only toward the number of hp cured.

oneqtbebe

• Followers of Beryl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 05:12:45 pm »
I have a small and inexpensive solution, have a cleric travel with you ;-) or you can always buy the healing potions from a cleric or other charcs. It's cheaper and it promotes RP.

Pen N Popper

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 05:15:26 pm »
@oneqtbebe... what? LOL

Witch Hunter

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 06:04:39 pm »
He's trying to promote his char!

Pen N Popper

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 05:47:22 pm »
*bumps* Perhaps just a change in the database of CNR recipes to give seven bandages (a stack) instead of a single one for each success?  It is still very difficult to make them but they are used now more than ever on Dregar.

Pen N Popper

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 01:58:21 pm »
Pretty please?  Recipe change to yield stack of 7 per attempt.

Honora

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 02:04:21 pm »
As a tailor, I totally agree.

ycleption

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 02:07:11 pm »
*nods*
If they were a stack, there would actually be a reason to make them... except for when it was good xp to do so, I have never once made healing kits, because it's so much easier to buy them.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 02:08:46 pm »
Me too, and I don't make them, but it's more productive that way.  I'd even think a small increase in the CNR required would be a fair compromise

Drizzlin

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 02:32:09 pm »
I couldn't agree more. In 5 years I have never bought anything better than a +1 bandage for the reasons stated above. I never waste the CNR on the other bandages when I can make far superior heal pots with that same CNR.

Krell Himmler

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 01:46:18 am »
Not that it comes up often but Bandages cure poison and disease. Healing potions do not.

Drizzlin

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 06:33:04 pm »
Quote from: Krell Himmler
Not that it comes up often but Bandages cure poison and disease. Healing potions do not.

The point is that you never make bandages better than the +1 because they are only good for removing poison and disease and your base healing bonus.

The +3, +6, and +9 is insignifigent when you look at the materials required to make those bandages. Carry a stack of +1 bandages for the poison/disease removal and then use your materials to make healing pots for healing.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 06:36:04 pm »
Drizzlin: As someone who can't make healing potions, I find buying healer's kits an extremely good deal. At level 19, I'm getting 35 hit points a shot out of them.

Honora

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 07:33:31 pm »
And that's part of the point, Stephen.  You can buy them at any temple.  Aloe is not *quite* as hard to get now, so for a tailor to make them for themselves isn't an issue, but for the purpose of turning a small profit or having something unique?

If you could not buy them...well...that would be another story.  They are rather underpriced at the vendor if you think about how much work goes into making one - you need two crafting disciplines and two gathered ingredients, one of which is doubled in the recipe, and if you are talking about +6 or +9 then it's three gathered.

Too much work to even consider competing with temples, and really too much work for a possible result of one single kit.

I still agree - it would be nice to either raise the bonus on the base kit (say, make +1 vendor only and jack the bonus on the tailored kits up to start at +3 etc.) OR give more than one kit per successful attempt.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 07:55:39 pm »
:) If the payout for what currently goes into the bandages were better (either in bonus by eleven or so or in quantity by six), it'd be more worth it to go that route - as it really should be, for a crafter. Better to make your own arrows and all that.

Drizzlin

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2008, 12:15:28 am »
Quote from: Stephen_Zuckerman
Drizzlin: As someone who can't make healing potions, I find buying healer's kits an extremely good deal. At level 19, I'm getting 35 hit points a shot out of them.

I am not even remotely sure why you can not make healing pots with alchemy. I am not trying to be a smart rump, but i thought everyone could make healing pots with alchemy.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2008, 02:13:23 am »
I can, but A) not nearly so easily or cheaply, and B) not past Cure Serious Wounds at all. Alchemy's a tough craft.

anything