The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Malar ~ balancing issues  (Read 472 times)

AeonBlues

Malar ~ balancing issues
« on: April 13, 2007, 03:38:29 am »
The Malars, not Malor ;) migrited with the last update due to over hunting.

Well no doubt they got over hunted.  Malar hides are a staple of the the layora crafting system.  They are used for armor, bags, slings, gloves, whips, hood of shadows, and mahogany shields.

Roughly, this is like taking adamantium and moving it some crazy place where no one in the game world knows where to find, and believe me, characters are looking.  From a balancing perspective, you are punishing characters that use wood and leathers as opposed to metal.

Now I have 2 proposals to even things up a bit.

1.  Re design your recipes a bit, so that malar is not tied to so many.  If you simply took out malar bags, and made dire tiger bags or somethings, it would fix our over hunting problem.  Lowering the demand is much more reasonable then making the CNR inaccessible.  If it was just one item....  but like I said, malar is the rough equivalent to adamantium or platinum, besides the making of nice bags.

2.  Take Adamantium, and move it to some crazy part of the game world that no one goes to, so that players that use metal weapons and shields are balanced with the ones that use leather and wood.

AeonBlues :D

The following users thanked this post: LynnJuniper

Witch Hunter

Re: Malar ~ balancing issues
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 04:20:53 am »
*agrees*

that's my input.

Weeblie

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 04:28:59 am »
Actually, I think numerous of characters know where to find Malars still and from what I've picked up, they are not in some impossible place like the Emerald Caves. They have been removed from the most common location, but the most common location was, if I recall correctly, not the only location to find them. It was only the easiest location to find them (too easy, in my opinion).

AeonBlues

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 04:38:33 am »
I guess I need to talk around more.  Everyone I have asked IC is just saying, "No one knows where to find any."

I still think it would be a good idea to fix those recipes up a bit.  Why does so many things we make have to be from lion or malar.  Could we not use lepord skins for mahogany shield?  Or grizzlybear gloves, or some changes like that?

AeonBlues

Dorganath

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 08:47:18 am »
There are two places to find Malar Panthers...one on Central, one on East.  Both are outside, both are accessible, though it may take a little more than the solo runs people were doing when they were in the River of Shadows/River of Darkness.  As Weeblie stated, this location was too easy.  The ones on East have not moved.

The number of available Malar panthers has not been reduced at all.  This is in contrast to the last time Malar panthers were over-hunted, when they could be found on Rilara/Alindor. In that case, they just went away.

LynnJuniper

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 09:52:37 am »
on the one hand I agree with Aeon Blues, not on the movement of the malar but on the frequency it is found in recipes. On the other hand I can see the "Realism" factor come into this as well. Ivory  could be a real life example where things are over hunted for a material to the point of almost-extinction. Poaching is the same deal. Maybe it would seem like a good idea to make the malar hide appear in less recipes and maybe not. Its more of a realism vs. Game issue, but I can see why some would argue for the former.

lonnarin

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 12:27:36 pm »
Now if only anyone was insane enough to go into business as a breeder.  How much would it cost to install a Malar pit in Bjorn's office with a trapdoor right in front of his desk activated by a lever?  He could just keep feeding them former employees and reel one in with the fishing rod any time he wanted a leather.

Of course, a Dire Render would be on par with the Rancor...

I do agree however that Malor is way over-used in the recipes.  The whips in particular I'd like changed to something less hunted, like Hill Hounds or Dire Bears.  Malar bags are kind of a staple, so I think they should stay all rare and such.  Whips though, I think I'm the only player who uses them.

AeonBlues

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 12:32:47 pm »
Well I feel heard about the migration issue.  I fully understand that they are out there, and we need to find them and bring a big hunt pack.

I don't feel heard, except for Lynn, about the over abundance of crafting recipes that uses them.

While I understand from game mechanics, I don't understand from an RP perspective why malar and only malar is needed to bind mahogany planks of wood into a shield. The bags are very nice, and I think what puts the malar hides in such great demand.  So, leave those, but why not change the weapons and gloves up a bit as well?  Shields too eh ;)

To reflect this from a good RP stand point.  If the supply of malar hides was getting short, would leather workers not find another hide that meets the standard?

AeonBlues

lonnarin

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 12:42:07 pm »
Ouch, only malar for the mahogany shields too?  No wonder they're over-hunted.  With gloves, armors, whips, and shields we're only missing boots to have somebody fully covered in it.  Ah well, the druids who only wear leather and wooden shields will just have to own up to being the ones who exterminated the species, heheh.

It's like an environmentalist ramming their boat into an whaling boat to save the environment and making an oil slick 60 miles long.

LynnJuniper

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 02:09:30 pm »
My suggestion: Make a new thread with this. People may over look this one because it addressed a different subject initially.

anything