The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Silver Reinforced Clothing  (Read 515 times)

Olme

Silver Reinforced Clothing
« on: May 22, 2006, 07:11:30 am »
Would it be possible to have a new type of 'reinforced clothing', one crafted using nuggets of silver ?

Such an item might have stats like: +1 AC vs normal , but +3 AC vs Undead or Werecreatures.

Stephen_Zuckerman

Re: Silver Reinforced Clothing
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 11:11:13 am »
Sounds interesting, but it would have a very, very small market.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 01:11:36 pm »
True... not many undead slayer types wear clothing.  I know of... 1

Dorganath

RE: Silver Reinforced Clothing
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 01:17:02 pm »
Talan Va'lash - 5/22/2006  3:11 PM  True... not many undead slayer types wear clothing.  I know of... 1
 I know you mean they wear armor, but I had a flash of this cult of naked undead slayers....*chuckles*

Ozy_Llewellyn

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 01:37:54 pm »
Silver Armor:

According to the “Unusual Metal Armor” table I’m looking at, Silver Armor receives a -2AC penalty. This is mostly due to the simple reality Silver is a very soft metal. A pendant of silver isn’t going to affect your armor class either way, thus it is assumed that in a material item such as reinforced cloths a significant portion is the threads of non-smelted metal.

However setting aside that fundamental problem and assuming you have found stronger then normal silver, there is still game mechanics. A +1 suit of armor with +3 against Shape-changers and Undead has a GP Value of 11281 and a level requirement of 18. While a suit of +3 armor has a GP value of 7031 and a level requirement of 15. Meaning the silver armor would be absolutely worthless whose only purpose would be to level crafting and raise gold thru the pawnshop.

This problem persists at.
0 AC bonus
+2 Shape-shifter
+2 Undead

Where a +2 suit of armor is identical to the silver. As would a 0/3/3 or 0/1/1. Now of course the building team could edit the 2da’s to give a much lower value (or no value) to GP based upon AC Bonus Vs Specific.

An idea I can approve of, but for now game mechanics is a hurdle.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 01:48:21 pm »
@ Dorg - ....  LOL!

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 06:51:53 pm »
Ozy- where the heck do you get these wonderful toys, like... like... Unusual metal armor charts?

Harloff

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 12:28:51 am »
Unless you get a better bonus from the armor than suggested, I cannot why anyone woud want to use it.

I think it would be a better idea to make a "undead resistance powder" (based on silver) giving some sort of additional bonuses that would be usefull against undead.

Olme

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 05:42:44 am »
*grins* I never new about the 'Unusual Metal Armor' table ... (excellent analysis job Ozy)

Anyways just an idea with nothing scientific about the stats I proposed.

So if this  idea morph's into something else,  or goes nowhere, so be it.

Asmodean

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 06:02:57 pm »
Mooo.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 12:07:11 pm »
Stephen_Zuckerman - 5/22/2006  7:51 PM

Ozy- where the heck do you get these wonderful toys, like... like... Unusual metal armor charts?

I would bet this is a 2ED source.  I remember having all sorts of neat charts and things that I haven't seen in the 3.0+ materials.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 01:19:38 pm »
Very true... I need to steal my girlfriend's AD&D2e stuff.