The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: 'Trials by fire light'  (Read 142 times)

Blewz

• View Profile
    'Trials by fire light'
    « on: January 12, 2005, 01:45:00 pm »
    She moves through the dark night, clutching tight her cloak. The air about her feeling filled with sorrow, indeed rich in pain. Soon, as she rounds the final hill, the lights of a dwelling come into view. Slowly the young woman removes a glove, but before she can knock the door swings open. 'Come in child.' floats through her mind, as a current of warm air rolls over and past her into the chilled night.

Removing her cloak and damp boots she strides toward a figure seated in the light of a fire, she breaths in deeply, taking in the scent of roasted almonds as she drops to one knee. 'I am here Head Mistress, I seek your guidance, and forgiveness.' As she turns from the fire the lined but finely featured face of the woman is hard to date. With a soft chuckle the Head Mistress of the nomadic Lucindites sighs. "Selka' dear, rise and join me by the fire.

' The young woman known as Naga glances up, slightly stunned at the use of her former Wicca' title. Getting to her feet she watches as the Head Mistress places a plate and tankard on the table nearby. 'I was just taking a repose, please Child, come there is far more then I require. Warm yourself, in side as well as outside. Then we shall see of easing your mind humm?'

Unclasping her cape, Naga settles into the offered chair, covering her lap with it. She removes a small green form carefully from a pouch. As the scent of food touches the small, slight pixie's senses she stretches and flits towards the the nuts pilled near by. Taking hold of one in both hands the pixie yelps and quickly shakes her hands. "Careful my dear RoXanne, those are hot.'

'I thank you for seeing me so late, indeed with all the strange events about I am suprised to find you here?' Having herself returned to her seat the elder woman sips at her own drink and grins. 'Nonsense, I am old. These matters are best handled with more swiftness then is possibe for me these days. There is a slight ring like burp, and the two watch as the swirling flight line of pixie light comes to rest upon the herth. The women chuckle lighty, 'A bit much for our small friend my thinks?'

The two finish and sit in silence for a time, gazing into the fire. 'I still recall the day Sister D' Antoree brought you to the temple. You were so polite, and quiet... oh so quiet. Yet I sensed such passion and fortitude beneath the surface. In deed Myrena had already told me of your actions with the poor soul Rhizome in her deffence, such a contrast to the child I saw before me it then seemed.'

Neither looks at the other as they speak in the fire light, Naga simply lifts her cape to her chin. 'Am I to be allowed into the Order once more Mistress? I know that my actions were selfish, and that those actions cast a poor example to the public. It is no excuse I know, but I thought I had found love?'

In the darkness of her throne like chair the Head Mistress weaves a series of rapid string weave patterns. 'True enough, sneeking out nights to be with that boy, Indeed allowing him to enter the very temple at night to see you, was most wrong?' At this the hiss of a chuckle escapes the womans lips. 'Though that night I chased him from your room, I did see how you could be so charmed.'

Naga drops her cape, slack jawed. 'You knew, all alone?!' The elder places her string circle upon the table, before uncovering and cresing a smokey crystal ball. 'Why did you not say something, stop me?!'

'It is as I have said, you are a head strong and intelligent girl. Think, if I forbade your relations with the Magnus boy would it have stopped you? After some consideration a frown forms upon Naga's features.

'You are correct. she sighs, I would not have listened.' There is a faint knock upon the door. 'Ah. that would be Sister Rilhredia. Come in . The Healer enters and kneels before speaking, seemingly unaware of Naga's presence. 'The Archivist's chambers are prepared Mistress.' Her message spoken she waits in silence. 'Thank you child, you may return to the Castle. Sister Deagol will join you shortly.' Rilhredia nods and with a quick smile at Naga turns and returns to a now thunderous night.

'In your absennce Ril' had been tending Queen Allurial's library. No offence to her, but her duties as a Healer had begun to suffer for it. She is most pleased at your return, as are most here. But be advised, this is but a probationary situation. You will continue to serve the relm of Mistone, and it's people. When you rejected the assignment in Dresden, Chosen D'Andareth volenteered to fill the void.' A slow sigh escapes the Headmistress. The elder woman moves away from the table, stiring up the coals of the fire as she continues. 'Seems that one had feelings for you as well. I admit you do have a way with people, males mostly I notice. So, you must be dedicated, another error in judgment will not be forgiven.'

The smile that had begun to form slips from Naga's face. She had wondered of Volrath's location for months. To learn that he had gone to cover her rejection of both the Order's assignment, and indeed he himself burned with guilt. 'I understand Mistress, and would expect no less. It is an honor to serve the order as an Archivist. Your kindness once more moves me, I will not disappoint again.' Naga sips the cooling ale and adjusts the napkin covering the slumbering RoXanne, who having discovered a gold piece clutchs it to her breast as she snores softly.

Once more having returned to the table the Elder chuckles softly. 'Let her keep it. I shall recover it from any donations that you earn later on. The new moon approachs, so we shall meet again in two months time to discuss matters of continuing your Wicca' trials, and perhaps... just perhaps a return to the Priesthood.'

anything