The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: *The cover of a weathered brown leather book reads:* Darren Dai'Tana  (Read 258 times)

nyufilm

• View Profile
    RE: *The cover of a weathered brown leather book reads:* Darren
    « Reply #20 on: July 27, 2006, 07:55:01 pm »
    *Written in a fine, delicate print and underlined precisely:*

The Quandary of Gift-Giving

*The elegance of the writing remains as the ink adopts a more fluid and natural flow*

I am beginning to understand better why it is that I have such difficulty with accepting--and, for that matter, with giving--gifts.  The realization dawned on me recently, after Tegan gave me a belt intended to boost a bard's performance (it was one that she had crafted of tiger skin and that she was going to throw away if I did not take it (sound familiar?)).  I believe that receiving a gift correlates to one's capabilities.  

Traditionally, I have thought that receiving a gift indicates a weakness: that it signals that the receiver is incapable of handling himself and of forging his own path, and that he requires outside assistance in order to achieve his goals.  I am learning, however, that the giver's intentions do not often align with that of a malevolent individual bent on usurping one's individuality.  A gift seems to be given not out of spite, but, rather, out of...Well, goodness.  Kindness.  Love?  A gift is a complement to, not an inhibitor of, oneself...I can receive a gift from one whom I know cares for me (as, in retrospect, I realize I have done with Rhynn) sometimes without a second thought, because...Well, because I *know* that such people do not wish to hurt or control me.

*The elegance of the writing deteriorates slightly*

Another revelation, I suppose.  A hypothesis based on faith...I must nevertheless keep my guard up so that I am not completely vulnerable.  Why would one leave a castle entirely unguarded?  To make others feel at home...But a large degree of risk is involved; anyone could penetrate the castle walls and strike at the castle's heart.

*Following stray, searching ink marks:*

I don't know for sure.  I can't, really.  Still thinking.  Maybe that is the problem...