The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: A letter home  (Read 743 times)

Fian Bearsark

A letter home
« on: March 14, 2005, 09:44:00 am »
Altha Eldreal looked up from her knitting as the butler approached with a messenger-boy in tow. She smiled woodenly as only the wealthy are known to do in the presence of the lower class. The boy hesitantly offered her a weathered,tri-folded piece of parchment with several post dates stamped on it. She knew immediately who it was from.

Dismissing the boy with a gesture to Nils to tip the urchin, Altha slowly unfolded the letter to reveal her daughter's handwriting:

Dearest Mother,
 If you are reading this that means my extra "incentive" to that dour ship captain in Fort Velensk paid off. Mail does not seem to be a top priority in Mistone. I will try to write more often as the oppurtunity presents itself.
 I do hope all is well with you and the family. Is your ankle getting better after the fall? Why you don't have the groundskeeper care for your roses I will never know. I miss their colors in the summer! Did you get the yellow ones to come back this year? Those were always my favorite.
 I can't believe Alaric is marrying that silly girl. I suppose he  will benefit greatly from her father's business though. I'm sure there is a place for him that will suit his talents. Little Tal will probably be next to bind the knot before me though! Don't hold your breathe mother. (smiley face drawn in)
 I hope father is well. I do miss him you know. I hope he misses me. Tell him I said hi. (*The writing here falters*)
 I have seen many things here on Mistone, many not nice at all. I was in a group which penetrated the heights of the GreyPeak Mountains, a haunt of foul ugly Ogres and a few Giants. All was well until we sought out an oil which a rather irresponsible girl in a nearby town keeps losing. She dresses a bit utilitarian as well. You know, all armor and no style. Anyway, we came upon a horrible chief who held the oil and everyone except one person was cut down. It was awful. I hid as best I could and snuck away. I felt terrible at first for leaving everyone behind, though there was nothing I could do. I need to learn to protect myself better and am intent on learning. That was a month or so ago, and I still have nightmares of those Ogres.
 I have bought several nice dresses while here, though tailors skills here seem mostly devoted to armors or simple materials for the most part. One such tailor, Derrick, made me a wonderful outfit with Iron woven into it! It is light and I made it a nice two-tone blue. (You always said I looked good in blue!) It is supple and strong - sometimes blades just slide off of it! I hope to find more artisans like the kind in Pranzis to make me some better dresses. Really, these people need to make fashion a bit more of a priority.
 I hope everyone is healthy and happy. Please ask father to write if he gets a chance. The mail service here is not the best, but I should get your letters eventually.

Love,
       Drawna

Musing over the light, bubbly script a moment longer, Altha slowly folded it back up and slid it into the drawer of the table next to her. The hint of a smile played across her lips and then was gone.

Fian Bearsark

RE: A letter home
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 06:08:00 pm »
A young blonde woman, dressed in a tailored dress of magenta and lavender silk, sits at a quiet table in Caring Hope Inn. Quill pen in hand, she reflexively runs the feathered end across her lips as she waits for the words to come to her.

Dearest Mother,

I hope I have equal success with this letter as I had with the previous one. I think I have finally won a benefactor in the form of a merchant captain in Velensk. I think he's sweet on me! (smiley face drawn).

More recently I have tried to hone my abilities with swords as well as gemcutting. I have traveled a bit with a man named Seteece; he fights sometimes with two swords and is quite impressive! I told him I very much envy his style with blades. Also I met a young woman known as Key who fights with a twin-blade style. She is without fear it seems mother! I saw her fight ogres without hesitation and clearly win! She was a bit gruff with others but seemed to like me. A bit softer clothing might do her some good though. She has a wonderful skin tone that I think could be highlighted with the right blouse. O well.

I know you do not approve of such things for a dainty girl such as myself, but it really is something I long to master now. My desire is to prove myself once and for all. I want people to see me as independent and capable. Someday I might get there.I also have been practicing gemcutting--I know, I know, me and gems are best friends as you always say! (smiley face drawn with tongue sticking out) I am getting better and will hopefully be able to start selling some to other craftsmen. Cross my fingers!

I hope all is well with the family and I hope father's business deal you mentioned reaches its fruition. Tell him I said hi.

Love,
                     Drawna

Fian Bearsark

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 05:28:00 pm »
Nils found Altha in the east garden tending to her roses. He dutifully walked over with a silver tray extended in his gloved hand. Upon it rested a crumpled and waterstained paper. Wordlessly Altha stood,
removing her gardening gloves and pushing her sunhat back. She glanced to Nils as she took the weathered parchment; a darting quizzical eyebrow was his only response as he turned to leave her in privacy with
the note.

Mother,

Some things have happened to me since my last letter to you. I seem to have drawn the attentions of a man of great power and influence. It's unwanted. I don't know yet what I will do about it, but I cannot give
in to his advances. I can't say much more right now; his motivations in pursuing me are foggy at best.

Don't fear--I have friends around me to help me: Brutus, Pathfinder, Eylianna, Aine, Father Maylin, Dyness, Yashilla, Seteece, Bama and too many others to name.

I am studying to be a better swordswoman in battle; I have learned my tricks and have noticed that a good amount of intelligence is even better than simple brawn in combat. I am getting better everyday. You
would be proud of me!

I will write again as soon as I can. Please don't worry. I will explain everything later.

Love,
      Drawna

Fian Bearsark

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 01:13:00 pm »
Dearest Mother,

I haven't had a chance to write lately, so I thought I would send you a quick note. All is well here in Mistone, and I am happy to say that man who was showing an obession in me has not been around. I hope it stays that way!

How is Alaric coping with marriage? Does she order him around? You have to get a picture of the two of them together sent over to me so I can finally believe it!

Things are getting better for me. I am now able to cut gems pretty nicely now, and have even sold a few. I guess if no man will give me jewels I can at least make them myself! (smiley face drawn)

My skill with blades is coming along wonderfully. I feel more confident each day (with setbacks of course). I can fight an Ogre and win! They are smelly,ugly beasts with half a brain. My training with no armor is difficult but I figure soon I won't remember what it was like with armor. I just bought a very nice belt made of animal fur (a little tacky, I know) that helps protect me a little more. Someday I hope to anticipate my opponents moves and out-think him. I can almost see what he wants to do before he does it.

I haven't had much time to look for clothes. A shame really, but I am gonig to help a nice girl named Silvra with her clothing. She needs help designing it and I took some basic dresses from her to pretty them up for her.

I recently saw an amazing sight on Rilara ( a thoroughly inhospitable backwater by the way). It was a huge Plain with monuments and puzzles across its surface. A giant chessboard with enormous pieces that have been known to move, a scale model of a ship on a pond and strange sculptures of Gods dot the landscape. These things apparently tell a story of sorts of everything that goes on in Layonara. I was awed and also a little fearful being there. Also, we briefly saw that "man" Milara, who wanders about with
huge giants as guards. We killed his giants and avoided him!

How is father? Is his arthritis acting up in the rainy season? Let me know.

Love,
Drawna

Fian Bearsark

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 01:10:00 pm »
The two women sat in the Scamp's Mug Inn at a window booth while the rain ell steadily. Aine sat huddled over her cup of Dragon Isles Spice blend tea, elbows drawn up together on the table and supporting her cup right up to her lips. She peered at Drawna through the steam rising from the hot tea.

"--so this isn't going to work I said. How could it possibly have worked?" Drawna gestured in exasperation, throwing her hands up dramatically. She reached once again for her warm brandy, sipping it slowly in thought. Aine shrugged her shoulders in response.

Just then the bell above the inn door rang and a soggy, well-dressed figure urched into the dim common room. The bartender looked up expectantly with a greeting to the older man, clearly a well-to-do merchant in from the road. Both women looked the man over with darting, experienced glances without turning their heads. Aine held her index finger to her nose briefly
n the tell-tale gesture of "Easy Mark" in the Cant. Drawna grinned and hid her smile in her cup.

The rain tapped plaintively on the window. Aine sipped, Drawna brooded. "You know, those days seem so far away now.....and so quaint in a way. Just living from one mark to the next, one score after another...it almost seemed to make sense." Drawna put her cup down almost to underscore this observation. "But getting caught--it was hell. It was mortifying. I failed all the way around. To my parents and to myself. I couldn't even pull the con off well enough. Navala was such a bad turn for me." She scowled and
stared at the countless marks in the rough wood table.

"Sounds like somebody has something to prove." Aine raised an eyebrow ever so slightly as she studied Drawna curiously. "C'mon sis, that was long time ago and a world away. You're in Mistone now, living on your own. You can take care of yourself now."

"Well yes--" Drawna spoke haltingly as she struggled for the right words. " I want to prove myself. I want my family to see me cut an Ogre to ribbons as I dodge his blows. I want my brothers to see me in a different way. I want Gascon to see me not as a sheltered rich girl virgin but as a competent swordswoman. Somebody who can take care of herself."

She paused and drew thoughts from the pattering raindrops. " I remember Alaric when he joined the militia. With his full plate mail guilded in silver, a longsword hanging pompously at his side." She scrunched up her face in distaste. " Everybody thought he was grand! Such a good little Sheep of Toran! I thought he looked ridiculous all clapped up in steel--he could barely walk, I swear!" Aine let slip an explosive giggle, then glanced sidelong at the two workmen seated across from them. One caught her eye and
winked.

" I'll tell you sis--" Drawna leaned closer and lowered her voice " I sometimes--feel--that She is with me in combat. That The Lady of Pleasures wants me to fight beautifully for her...Not in armor or pounding away at an enemy, but gracefully." She brushed a blonde lock out of her face self-consciously and sat back.

Aine smiled slowly and sat back as well. " Well, there's nothing wrong with that. It makes sense. You're too hard on yourself about this all. You obviously have left a part behind you and are moving toward another way. Just let it happen dear. Xeen is there to help is all." She smiled confidently, then she looked off to the other table. She crossed her eyes slightly and stuck her tongue out a bit as one of the workmen sauntered up to their table. Drawna brushed her brow with her thumb in Cant: "Idiot".

" Well hello to ye there ladies!" A brute of a man with wet hair plastered to his forehead grinned down at them, completely ignorant of the two ladies' distain. " A roight wet day eh?" He obviously felt he was making progress. His companion grinned stupidly in the background.

"Wet --um, yes. Why don't you go play in it dear?" Drawna sneered at him and Aine snickered in her tea. "Whoa there lass, ye is feisty! " The brute's smile wavered a bit and he looked to his companion in support. " How about you two show us a good time in Hamp eh? We is in from Lorindar with a shipment an' got some time to kill--So how bout it eh?"

Drawna stared at him in silence and Aine giggled quietly, glancing from one to the other. The man's smile slowly disappeared and he grew embarrassed and angry in a heartbeat. "Now look wench-" Drawna's hand settled on her rapier sitting on the table, though she never took her eyes from the workman's stupid expression. Aine's lips curled in a evil smile. The man began to speak, then hesitated, eyes darting to each of the women in turn. He wavered, turned, and stumbled into a chair on the way back to his expectant companion. They huddled in defeat at their table. Aine looked to Drawna " All grown up now, see sis?"
Drawna sat silently for a second, then slowly smiled in agreement.

Fian Bearsark

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 06:17:00 pm »
A slim blonde figure walked quietly into the Temple of Xeen in Karthy. She paused a moment in the doorway, admiring the temple interior in the flickering light of candles ringing the walls. At this late hour no one was in sight, the last offerings to the Mistress of Pleasure having been more than two hours ago. Slowly the young woman walked about the main room, distracted in thought.

With a deliberate gesture she drew two rapiers from their embroidered leather scabbards, the candlelight dancing off the finely crafted iron. She placed one to either side of her as she knelt down in a reverent position in the center of the main hall. Drawing a short sword as well, she laid it out in front of her and began to whisper with eyes closed.

Minutes passed and nothing stirred, only the enunciation of painted lips and the swaying of blonde hair as Drawna with lowered head prayed. "O great Mistress, may Your joys be everlasting, may Your Beauty sunder all forms that stand against You. I ask for this tonight because I fear for your children, for your servants, and for your temple here. Evil things approach, and the times are changing. I ask only that you summon all your Powers to beguile,... Powers to seduce..... and your Powers of Beauty to
defeat those that threaten." Drawna paused in thought. " I pledge myself to--your defense--to create a Dance of Beautiful Death in combat. I wish only to make you smile--and be proud of me, your daughter. I will try as much as I can to defend your Hall here--and to--be as graceful and beguiling in battle as an homage to you O great Mistress of Pleasure."

Just then she stopped, hearing soft footsteps approach. She turned her head and tucked her hair behind her ear. A priestess of Xeen appeared out of the shadows, stopping to smile at the kneeling figure. Drawna recognized the servant of Xeen but could't remember her name. The priestess came closer, touching Drawna's head lightly with a perfumed hand. "Hello, Miss. I did not mean to interrupt you." she whispered with a smile.

Drawna smiled a bit self-consciously and felt her face redden a bit. She moved to retrieve her weapons. "I -was just saying a -few words. Nothing much. I realize it is late."

"It is never too late for such a sweet devotee of the Mistress. You seem genuinely touched tonight. Though I must admit weapons are not a typical sight here."She laughed quietly and gestured to the swords being sheathed.

"Oh, that. -I mean no disrespect -I was-uh-" Drawna frowned and seemed unable to express herself. The priestess smiled and held out her hand to help Drawna up. "Its okay. I think I have heard just about everything. You can tell me if you like."

Drawna stood and stared at the candles lining the far wall. "I feel that I need to defend Xeen. Rilara is not safe. No where seems safe anymore. I have-felt--these past weeks that--I can help Her if I fight -um- gracefully? Does that make sense? " She dare not look at the priestess for fear of ridicule. She self-consciously started running her hands through her hair.

"Hm. I must admit it is not a common sentiment. But-" The priestess reached out to touch the silver basket hilt of one rapier." -I think I understand what you seek. Defending Xeen's Shrine is a loving gesture my dear. If you are able to do so with Love in your heart and do so with a grace--well I cannot protest in all honesty."

Drawna glanced sideways to the priestess, noting her bejeweled, preened appearance and delicate features. " I feel that I'm not able to -um-live like I used to. I was - wealthy, uninvolved. Things didn't touch me. I lived for men's attentions and fine jewels and dresses." She giggled a moment in reminiscience." Oh, how things have changed! I sleep on the hard ground, I get hit with Ogres' clubs, Wolves and other furry things bite at me! I don't even get a glass of wine everyday!"

The priestess snorted in abrupt laughter. "That sounds-mm-ugly!" She nodded and tiny bells in her hair jingled. "I think that-you should do what your heart tells you. For there Xeen dwells, it is in joy and lust and pleasure that she dwells-" She stared into a candle flame across from her, almost hypnotized by its movement. "If you feel desire in battle, if you cry with joy in the leap of an attack, if even the blood of Xeen's enemies is a lustful sight to you-" Her expression darkened " Then there the Mistress also dwells for you."

Drawna nodded slowly. "Yes." This was spoken almost as a declaration of faith, and she lowered her head for a moment in thought.The priestess touched the rapier hilt again. "Then I think you have some dancing to do my sister. Xeen grant you your pleasure."She kissed Drawna on each cheek in a traditional Xeenite gesture of blessing. "Good eve to you." With that, bells jingling, the servant of Xeen drifted out of the hall. The blonde woman stood for a few moments in silence, then departed.

Fian Bearsark

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 01:47:30 pm »
Alaric,

I just wanted to let you know I am settling back in over here in Mistone. I have already run into some old faces
who still remember me. (shocking isn't it? *smiley face drawn*) It was nice spending time with you and your
wife, even though she hates me. (I think that was a joke.) Little Tal actually made an appearance too, which is
amazing that he found time away from slaying dragons in the service of the King of Dregar, et al. Ah well, we
all can't be so noble! I hope you will be able to check in on mum every once in a while. She was stoic at the
funeral, but I could see her ready to bust apart at the seams. That rose garden isn't going to be able to cure
all her ills. So please check on her from time to time. Or at least give her a grandchild will you?! Ha!

I am better than I thought I was with my blade. My first week back I traveled to the Dire Wood with a large
group and held my own there. It is infested with ghosties and creepies who are very tough to hit, but I
surprised even myself in how well I did. Next we poked at a nest of Ogres in a well-known cave and I did great
there. And I am still modest too, did you notice? *face with a big round mouth drawn* I am trying to decide if I
need heavier armor though, my dodging in combat is good, but not good enough. I may need to drop some metal
links on myself or carry a bigger shield, though being weighted down like that is gonna hurt my poor widdle
sleek body. Oh well. A hunt into the Greypeaks here resulted in the usual beating, with 3 of our group dropping
in a field of Ogres. I know that place like the back of my hand, and I still get caught unawares sometimes. On
the plus side I got a nice rest in a soft bed in Lar. I think the guys there are all descended from bears
though. They are waaayy too hairy for my tastes, thank you very much.

I haven't tried crafting too much, I think I am still rusty. I desperately need some coin for all my trifling
wants, like food, clothing and shelter. I may try and collect resources for other craftsmen. We'll see how that
pans out. Gemcutting is ok, but getting the minerals is pretty difficult most times.

I'm glad you service is over with the Army, now you can work on getting fat and happy. Tal has how long to go
yet? I can't remember. Please keep in touch, I will send notes when I can, and tell mum I'm thinking of her.

Hugs, Drawna

Fian Bearsark

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 02:19:35 pm »
Drawna stood on a sandy inlet, Haven castle looming in the distance behind her. Facing east, she gazed over the
ocean, noting with a hard expression the grey-brown cast to the sky. It seemed to endlessly drift in from the
East now, a cloak of sickly ash spread over Mistone. She dropped to the sand and took out a stylus and paper,
smoothing it flat on her bent knee, and began to write.

Mother, Alaric and Tal,

This is my last letter home. Because home is no more. Its been taken from us, all of us who love
Pranzis. Alessa's Dress Shop, The Emporium, Anstar's Inn, that little fruit stand by the fountain that always
had such delicious apples. Its all gone and I won't see it again ever the way I used to. *the paper here is
crumpled slightly* I am sorry about your roses mum. I hope some are still growing. Alaric, please, I hope you
didn't fall in the defense of the City. Or maybe I hope you did, so you won't be held prisoner or worse. You
always wanted to be the noble one after all.

Tal, I hope you are safe somewhere. I hope you ran and ran and never looked back. I hope mum and you are
somewhere like Lakeside, by that house on the hillside, the one by the evergreens. We always liked to hide in
those trees. It always felt safe. I will miss the plays that we would go to in the Square, on those hot summer nights when we would whisper and gossip about people in the crowd, pretending to watch the latest theatre troupe on tour.

I hope the house is safe, I hope it didn't burn down. I hope the view from my window is still the same. I hope I won't die wondering about all of you. I hope dad's gravestone isn't broken. It was so hard for mum to pick it out and he wouldn't like a broken gravestone. I hope all my friends are out of the city, I hope the defenders held the line long enough. I hope Blood's general is not like that Demon, I hope he can see the beauty of the city and protect it. I hope he dies a horrible death.

I hope I can lead an army back to Dregar, to take back our city. I hope I will win. I hope. I hope I am strong
enough someday to make a difference here.

I hope.

Slowly she dug in her bag and drew out an empty Tower Malt ale bottle, drained in sadness the day before. She
thought of Armolas, the quiet man who gave it to her, who said they tried to hold them off long enough for the
citizens to leave. He tried. He seemed nice, as if he would try. The pain in his eyes was sufficient to tell her this. She believed him. Uncorking the bottle, she rolled the letter and slipped it inside, pushing the cork back on. With one quick movement, she flung the bottle in a high arc over the waters, watching it tumble lazily end over end to land in a white blossom of spray. It bobbed up and down, drawn slowly out into the ocean, up and down, up and down. Pulled along by the course of events around it, not knowing if it would ever reach Dregar.

Fian Bearsark

Re: A letter home
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 04:09:29 pm »
Drawna slipped off her boot and rubbed each toe to get rid of the aches. She had settled under a tree in Hempstead fields to relax and jot down her thoughts. It had been too long since she sent off a letter to Alaric. The last one she received from him nearly gave the messenger doubts about his profession. It took him several tries to locate the blonde woman, she had become ever more elusive.

After the second boot came off followed by more rubbing, Drawna set to writing:

Dear Alaric,

I hope all is well with you and Sara and I hope those kids aren't driving you mad! They must be so big now, its been 6 months since i saw them last. Did you get my care package for them? I sent it out about a month ago and it has a couple presents in it for them - nothing grand but enough shiny things to keep them interested for about 15 seconds. I hope your job has improved and you don't want to do terrible things to the overseer anymore. If you do, I could probably stop by and...... *evil face drawn with 'x' s for eyes*

I am settling in well in the Center area, though I travel constantly now. I have begun recording the geography and resources on a series of maps. Much has changes and I need to make sure I keep good records. I know, i know - me and record keeping never mixed, don't remind me.

But so much now, I find myself alone and hiding in the shadows. I explore without companions which is a mixed blessing. I have no backup. If something goes wrong, I have no one to help. Its a sobering thought but one that keeps me focused on honing my skills at blending in to my surroundings. At times, its as if I can actually direct my thoughts to another: "You don't see me. I am invisible". Just the other day, I glided past a mated pair of panthers, the very  creatures my armor is cut from! They didn't see me at all, or hear me. I was so impressed with myself. Almost no beast or humanoid can see me at this point. I do not get as much practice with the blades as I should, but I also am intrigued to see how often I can glide through places unseen. There is a happiness and sense of belonging I feel somehow, like the shadows and me are together.

I still practice cutting gems, though I need to set my tools on something more challenging. But the more challenging stones lie in more dangerous places, so it is slow going. I have started tailoring a bit more lately as well.

I hope you checked on mom and dad's plots this spring. Those weeds keep coming back no matter what I do. If you see a new plant there, I planted it. Its a lavender plant I want to try to grow on mom's side. She always liked the scent. *the words here grow small and written in a light hand*

Give my love to everybody and tell Tal to pick up a quill sometime!

Love,
Drawna