The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: A simple leather journal  (Read 77 times)

SyntheticSoul

A simple leather journal
« on: June 03, 2008, 12:28:28 am »
In your hands is a simple leather bound journal. Its pages are of crisp bleached paper and cut by a deft craftsman. The first reads: In service to Aragen, for the greater knowledge of all.

The following pages have a handful of ink splatterings. The handwriting is in a carefully practiced calligraphy, but the lines are half scratched out and unintelligible - marked as though someone began again and again, unsure of how to do so. Finally it seems the author gave up and started fresh on a new page entirely. The formerly laborious calligraphy gives way to a more fluid, natural handwriting.

"I've tried to begin this document a dozen times, but I can't find the voice, the perspective. I guess the only way I can is through my own.

I've set out on my own. After all the time within the monastery walls, this place seems so alien to me - so exposed. I can't describe the excitement I feel. The path seems like it could stretch out forever beyond these footsteps and I know not where it leads.

I don't know if that thought is awe inspiring or terrifying - perhaps both.

I miss my temple - it's libraries, it's gardens. I miss the people, the bustle - I even miss the chores. I'm homesick and its been but a scant few weeks.

I will go on. I will see the world and record every detail. I'll make you proud, Elifon.

All things in time."