The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Annals of a dwarven healer  (Read 309 times)

slipperhero

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
Annals of a dwarven healer
« on: February 08, 2005, 02:03:00 pm »
*a loose page that has fallen out, it is dated 15/7 1368*

We followed the trail south towards the peaks east of Shoufal. Midgrey led the group and let Felv and his brothers scout ahead. I wonder if dwarfs are supposed to like climb over mountains? I sure don't, thats for sure. These mountains are a pain to climb.
It took us a good six hours and the sun was setting as we spotted the raiders resting near a small ravine. The leader, big even for a mountain giant, seemed to brag to the rest of the raiders, showing off with his great maul and tossing around the head of Grandur of the second watch.
I nearly had to knock Felv out since he almost charged them by himself. Felv and his brothers might be skilled fighters but they sure as hell ain't got an ounce of tactics. Head first and screaming their lungs out. It can be quite fun to watch as few can stand their ground against them, but in the end it will be more work for me.
We left our gear and Midgrey positioned the men a short distance up the cliff. I performed the shortest blessing ever as I was afraid Felv wouldn't stay put for long.
As the last sunbeams hit the cliffs, we charged. The band of raiders was completely taken surprise and the battle was short. It was exciting to see the brothers waraxes cut through the giants flesh and bones.
I only had a few minor fleshwounds to tend to, and I don't think Felv even noticed them until I started applying my herbs and ointment on him.
It took the whole night to find our way home with Grandurs remains and I was immidiatly rushed to the temple to prepare the funeral cermony.

*signed*
Vigg, temple of Vorax

slipperhero

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
Vigg meets Fenrir
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 12:06:00 pm »
"...and may ye axe be the tool of Vorax!"
Vigg opened his eyes and watched as flames licked the edge of Fenrirs axe.
"-Tis be it brother. Can ye remember they way ye went?"
Fenrir nodded and started up the narrow path leading up into the mountains.
There was the unmistakenable smell of ogre, although the heavy raining was more of problem at the moment.
The path was more mud than rock and their short legs sunk deep. "-Curse tis weather" he grumbled as they waded through the mud. After hours they reached a grassy plains with a dozen ogres. Back to back they faught, Fenrirs axe cut deep and Viggs hammer crushed bones and soon not an ogre was standing. Still breathing heavy Fenrir pointed: "-There Vigg. Up o tha' cliff."
Vigg leaned back and sighed, that was gonna be a rough climb. Nothing you could do in a breastplate with hammer in hand.
Gear packed up they climbed, Vigg first and Fenrir close behind. As he reached the top, BANG. A giant maul hit the rock besides his head. The adrenaline pumping he hauled himself over the edge and faced the enormous ogre grinning at him ready to give him another swing. Vigg quickly grabbed his hammer from his belt and hurled it, knocking the ogre out cold. Fenrir, who was right behind him, dispursed of what was left of the beast.
"-Tis musta been the bastard who got me good last toime." Fenrir muttered as his unvedged his axe from the ogres chest.

slipperhero

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
A letter home
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 01:01:00 pm »
*A rough translation of a letter written in dwarven*

Dear Grandpa,
I hope you have your health and that the temple is thriving. It has been too long since my last visit but there has been so much to do and places to visit in the last year that I have not found the time.
The surfacelands are strange and I find the humans a complicated race to get along with. They fight a lot amongst themselfs and there is much bitter fighting amost the different tribes and religions. Fortunatley I have met a lot of kinsmen on my journeys. Brother Deiwos is an excellent axeman, perhaps a bit quiet, but he sticks by my side through thick and thin. Vorax has really blessed me with such a fine friend.
Send my love to mother and give her the ring I sent with this letter. Tell her I will return and find me a wife very soon.

Sincerley,
Your grandson, Vigg.

slipperhero

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
Prelude to a war
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 01:38:00 pm »
"Hold up guys! I think I found something."

The man picks up the vial from beneath the pile of bones and dusts of the dirt.

"Looks like a letter in a vial. Bring that torch over here!"

The lid opens with a small pop and the man picks out a parchement and a small pouch of glod coins.

"Hmm... looks like an a dwarf wrote this. The letters are almost readable. Lets see...
I am not sure I can translate all of it you now. Hey! Get that torch closer!"

"Dear Grandpa,
I hope you have your health and the temple is well. I am writing to you concerning a matter of great importance.
Since my discovery of the death of the great green dragon I have known that the war against the legend Sinthar Bloodstone has been a fact. The disasters in the village of Hlint was a mere nuisance of what was to come. The great blue dragon, whose name I have trouble writing, called for aid not long ago. Although she would never admit the fact that she was in grave danger, a minor force of heroes set out to defend her. The villains had set up camp throughout The drift lands, hiding behind sand dunes protected by powerful spells and summoned demons from the abyss. The battle was long and hard, dreaded deamons summoned by the minions of Blood rushed forward to meet our axes and with the help of Vorax we prevailed.
This action of Blood was not the first since his devouring of the great green dragon, I fear that war is upon us and things will not get any easier.
Please inform the king of this and I hope starts to prepare for the outright war I am sure too come.
*signed*
Your grandchild,
Vigg

P.S Please accept this small donation to the temple"

The man sighs. "That is about it... Strange to find this in a cave with the bones of giants"

slipperhero

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
Fall from grace
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 04:53:00 am »
The messenger stands infront of the kneeling, redbearded dwarf and speaks with a deep voice.

"Vorax is not pleased with your actions, Vigg Belber"
"Your have strained from the true path and angered the Father of Battle."
"For this you will pay the price."

The messenger vanishes and the image of an axe placed upon an altar appears in Viggs head.

"I will do whatever you ask of me."

Vigg feels empty and the everpresent feeling of Vorax is gone.

He picks up his axe and shield, they feel a lot heavier than they used to, and starts walking.

slipperhero

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
A little help from his friends
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 09:32:00 am »
Deiwos gives the dead duergar a small kick.
"- This one was a tough little bugger."
Vigg removes his helmet and wipes his forehead.
"-Yup. Fastest one I've seen... ever!"
They lean over the corpse and examines the red outfit with caution.

A bright, warm light appears and against the dark walls of the underdark two dwarven figures appear.

The first one approaches and speaks.
"-You have done well, Vigg Belber. The Father is proud of your actions. But it is not complete."
He walks over to an anvil, basking in a red unsettling glow and raises his axe.
As he lets it smash onto the anvil the red glow seems to fight back but in the end the anvil crumbles to dust and the red glow vanishes.
He then again adresses the now somewhat confused Deiwos and Vigg.
"-I am Kelp and this" He nods to the other dwarf "is Mart. We once served with Rainstoff's Red Axes. The duergar you see before you called himself the Red Axe and by slaying him you have ended what could have been a great threat. It is a good deed and you may call upon our aid when you need it the most. Farewell... for now."
The bright light appears once again and the dwarfs are gone.

"-I'm hungry, but this might not be the best place to start a fire." mutters Deiwos and they set off towards the surface.