The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Life of a Land Lubber - Capt R O'Hagan  (Read 76 times)

Rasterick

Life of a Land Lubber - Capt R O'Hagan
« on: May 25, 2005, 09:33:00 am »
Reef, sat in the corner of the Inn, begins to write up his log. The log's pages are crinkled from being immersed in water after his ship, the WindBlade sank, and him and Mender Pengelly, the only two survivors managed to swim to shore.

As he writes he remembers his crew with sadness, all of them he was able to call friends. Their loyalty had kept them together for almost three years. Through many dangers they had sailed together, each one reliant on the abilities of the other, a crew second to none, their heritage, race and beliefs was their own business, each one was an accepted part of the crew.

The Journey round the northern cape of Mistone was meant to be routine enough, a following sea and fair wind had help them make good time. The awkward tides in this area could prove troublesome, but at this moon phase, they were a full spring and ran in favour of the Windblade. The Windblade; a twin masted sloop, was well built from the finest Calishan teak, while this made her heavy; her large sail area and revolutionary hull more than made up for it.

The bell was rung for the change of watch, Dogwatch men, gave way to those of the first watch. Handovers complete, the sailors settled down to a quiet four hours and end of the day. Hugging the coastline to cut down the distance, the seabirds squealed and squawked their way round the early evenning sky. To all it seemed like any other night at sea.

The mast watchman, high up on a platform on the foremast, scanned the horizon, being young, his eyes were sharp and he was able to see a long way, to port the Island of Mistone, and inland the snowcapped Greypeak Mountains. To Starboard, a clear view to about 12 miles, ahead, the setting sun gettiing lower on the horizon, forcing him to shield his eyes with his hand. As he turned about, he caught a flash of reflected sunlight, just off their starboard quarter, he stopped turning and peered at the surface, the wave pattern gave no indication of anything untoward. He turned foward again, putting the flash down to a dolphin or large sunfish. As he glanced over his shoulder, he saw the reason for his earlier sighting; disappearing below the surface, the large tail fluke of a very large sea creature. Rab Toln, had seen many strange things at sea, squid the size of a ship, white whales, giant underwater rays. But he had never seen a creature this size before, it tail easily the size of four men stood on each others heads.

As he had been directed, if he sighted anything; he shouted down to the watch master, standing on the quaterdeck next to the two steerage men on the rudder. "Green quarter, 50 paces, large beast, sounding." Sadly his warning, came to late, not that anything could have been done had he been given any more time...

Rasterick

RE: Life of a Land Lubber - Capt R O'Hagan
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 09:32:00 am »
The aft section of the WindBlade housed the Captains quarters, the galley and the senior crews quarters. Reef and his First Mate; Mender Pengelly were sat planning a route through Broken Corals to the South east of Mistone. Mender sensed something was wrong, he looked up from the chart, and then at Reef, "Somat aint right Skip", he said. It was then that they heard the cry from the masthead lookout. Mender and Reef both stood. But no sooner were they on their feet, than they were thrown against the bulkhead, as the WindBlade heaved to Port. The sound of screamed orders, screams of pain and the sound of creaking timber filled the evenning air.

They tried to get to their feet, but the vessels severe list to Port prevented any such thing. Just as quickly as it had heaved to Port, the WindBlade righted itself, all was still; albeit momentarilary. The next noise they heard was a crashing sound similar to a tree being felled. As Mender and Reef, attempted to grab hold of something to steady themselves, the fading suns light flooded into the room, the complete foward bulkhead of Reefs cabin, now detached from the room that they were in. As they looked up in terror, all they could see was the axe like green fin of some enormous sea creature, the fin that had sliced through the aft section of the WindBlade.

The aft structure, about the size of a small house, hit the water. The Sea creature, temporarily gone from sight, suddenly reared out of the water, and plunged downward into the front three quarters of the ship, splintering it, and all its contents as if it were an eggshell, scattering broken bodies, wood and the ships contents across the surface. As those that survived, bobbed to the surface. Smaller versions of the giant creature attacked and dragged them below the surface.

Meanwhile Reef and Mender, bruised but unharmed, regained their senses, and clambering to the edge of the slowly sinking aft section viewed in vain at the ensuing carnage taking place. "We have to get out of here Mender," Reef said, " And damn quick.". They had no other choice, the wreckage from the foward part of the shop was some 50 feet away, they had to take their chances in the water. Lowering themselves over the side, they kicked away and started to swim, putting as much distance between themselves and the scene of terror that was the feeding frenzy of the sea denziens. Both Reef and Mender were strong swimmers, but in a choppy sea, scared and cold, they were never going to get far. However it was far enough to put themselves out of danger.

Treading water, they knew that unless help arrrived soon, they were going to tire and drown. Providing they were not snatched by one of the horrors that were the creatures that had destroyed his ship and killed the majority, and possibly all of his crew. Mender, muttering to himself, was the first to spot the large tree floating some 100 feet away. "Look Skip, the lady has smiled upon us". Mender said. They struck out, new found energy driving them on. Reaching the tree they hauled their aching bodies into the branches.
The tree, about 60 feet tall and with a large amount of its brancehes and leaves, was a Cedar. Its lowers section bore the marks of a lumberjacks axe.

This was to be their ship for the next two days, the strong Northern tides, pushed them across the North of the Island of Mistone, their closest point of approach would be about 2000 yards from shore, if they rested, and timed things right, they could both swim that distance, and to saftey; they hoped.

It was with some sadness, that they left the cedar, slipping into the water and using a slow ecomomical stroke, made the saftey of shallow water about an hour later. Landfall, and two tired and very cold sailors dragged themselves up the shingle beach. Little beknown to them, they were  mere days walk from Harmony Grove in the High Forest, but following a couple of hours rest, they set off.  Skirting the densly wooded area, they headed west, reaching the Road from Leilon to Blackford a day later. From there they turned south. Arriving at the Gates of Hlint a day after that.

They talked often during that long walk, mosty their converstaion turned to the friends that they knew had certainly perished. Fat Oloan the Cook, Chippy Shelles the carpenter, the smiling and jovial Tren Yare; the Bosun Ulai To'kaua. Seventy men bar two, they remembered each one in turn. And Both Reef and Mender paid their own respects to them. There could be no revenge, no retribution, just let them rest; friends to a man.

Reef woke from his thoughts, and with quill in hand, began to write

An ode to friends of the sea

Not a favour ask, nor one taken.,
They will not waken.
For in their slumber below the sea,
they remain and ever will be.
Friends to a man.

Each and every one,
sadly now gone.
Gone but not forgotten,
Three score and ten.
Sleep in the oceans arms.

-----------------------------

Reef set down his quill, and lay back on his bed, he wiped the tears from his cheek, closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep

Rasterick

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 09:35:00 am »
I have seen many things, some sad, some horrific and some you would never wish to see again. I have seen great beauty, great evil, strange and mysterious beast and met some very interesting people. However, as I review my good fortune, I will recount some of the funny tales about things I have seen heard and done.  The Crazy Surgeon  While working as a bosun on a Naval vessel, under Capt Appleyard of the Imperial navy. We had set into a Kings Landing on Rilara, provisions were taken onboard prior to the voyage to Dregar. However the vessel had srprung a couple of timbers in a storm, and the local artisans and onboard shipwright had estimated it would take a good day to repair.  Appleyard being had granted most of the crew leave, and as was their way, those that went ashore, headed for the nearest Tavern.  The sign above the Taverns door should have been warning enough; 'All damage will be paid for' in big bold letters. In we swaggered, and after several scoops of the local brew, a few of the lads started singing. My pal at the time, a young man called Hohar Sholan, a stormy type, with flame red hair, and with a temper to match, didnt like the way a local man was looking at him. So he decided to try and do something about it. Well the fight kicked off, and in true bar room style, it had everyone involved.   The unfortunate Hohar, had a knife pulled on him, and a deft slash to the side of his face neatly removed his left ear. Seeing his prediciment, I made my way to his side, he had by this time rendered his asailant unconcious with a chair leg., and recovered his ear from the sawdust coverd floor. I dragged him out of the tavern, and we made our way back to the ship, I the hope that the surgeon would be onboard and be able to stitch his ear back on.  The surgeon; Arell 'Boneset' Omer was a big and jolly man, had been having his own party. Him and the cook had consumed several bottles of some cheap local wine and by the time Hohar and I had got back they were both very drunk. Hohar still wanted his ear stitching back on, and despite my pleadings, the surgoen insited on doing it.  It started well, Boneset had Hohar hold his ear in place on the side of his head, while he applied the stitches. In the light of the tallow candle, he must have had good eyesight I thought in my confused state. After several minutes, Boneset announced he had finished, and bid Hohar to remove his hand from the side of his face. Horar duly obliged, and as he did I saw that the drunken Boneset had sewn the ear to Hohar's hand.  Never again did we trust that surgeon, Hohar's ear was eventually sewn on by the sail maker, and now he has one ear lower than the other.  The Denzien of the Deep  The Windblade had two hatches in its forward section, leading to the Port and Starboard crew quarters. In warm weather these were left open, so as to provide a flow of air through the stuffy quarters.   Anchored off of Molten Island, awaiting the return of a party of adventurers, some of the crew decided to do a spot of fishing. The island's volcanic activity, warmed the surrounding waters quite considerably, and the abundance of fish made it a popular spot to catch a bit of lunch. On this particular day, the majority of the crew were nearly all below deck, listening to the tales of Rabbit Mcgreen, a bard and renowned stroy teller. while he recounted the tale of a famous vampire hunter. On deck and fishing were two Dregans deckhands.   The line and hooked baited with a piece of meat, proved iressistable to a four foot Moray eel. And as they realised they had caught sometine big, both of them hauled the snapping creature up on deck. As they dragged it over the side, its final act of defiance was to shake the hook from its mouth. As it did so, it flipped its body and slithered down the starboard hatch into the space below. The sight of a four foot eel, teeth bared in the subdued light, sent the crew into a frenzy, scattering them this way and that. Some escaping up the ladder, some managed to cling to hmmocks and ropes. Others just ran round in panic.  The eel, now very angry and confused by all the commotion, did what it did best, thrahsed around biting at anything in sight. Eventually secummbing to a crack to the head by a belaying pin. The happless creature, was carried trophy like to the galley, anticipation of the feast it would provide had the mens mouth's watering.  It was placed in a cask, there it stayed for several hours. Until, a returning adventurer decided to sneak into the galley and fix himself a snack, a hard days fighting the Molten Islands' inhabitants, had given him a massive hunger. Groping round in the darkened galley at midnight, the unfortunate Dwarf happened upon the now extermely angry eel. The ensuing fight saw the previously uninjured Dwarf suffer worse wounds than he had received on the Molten Island.  The dwarf, well he recoved from his wounds, Mender Pengelly ministered to him, after that is, the dwarf had consumed a cask of ale to calm his tattered nerves..  The surgeon, well, Ear Ear has he came to be known, met and married a Rilaran lass and settled down in Karthy, where he now runs a barbers shop.  What happen to the eel? you may ask.. Well no one knows for sure, some say it slitehered over the side and back into the sea, others say it dissapeared int the shipes bilge, Ill tell you one thing, that ship never suffered from rats after that day, and several crew swore to have seen the eel in the bilges.   Reef closed his book and placed it on the table near his bed, stapping on his sword he stood and walked out his room into the Wild Surge Inn.  ' Ale barkeep' he shouted. 'I feel like a party, who wants to join me?' the room went quiet, several patrons raised their tankards in agreement, other carried on drinking and talking among themselves.  A man who laughs in the face of danger, is either very brave; or an idiot....

Rasterick

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 05:44:00 am »
Many years ago, when I was just a lad, I was told a tale so fantastic it has stuck in my mind ever since. When I was told the story, I was led to beleive that every word of it was true. Time changes many things, and over the years I began to view the tale with more and more sceptism, its gloss wore off. Even though it has stayed with me over the years, it simply became one of those tales that I would racant to audiences.

That is until I recieved a mysterious letter two days ago.

Rasterick

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 08:17:00 am »
   Reef placed the letter in his desk, the man was right, he didnt remember him. There it stayed for two days, but a niggle at the back of his mind made him read it again, the second time a small burning sensation began in the pit of his stomach, the burning curosity that makes someone touch paint near a 'Wet Paint' sign.   Reef then removed a new leather bound jounal from his desk, and on the first page wrote the words; Prince of Sky in large letters. He took Calems letter, and with  small a steel needle, attached it to the second page. Shaking his head in dismay he muttered to himself 'Curiosity killed the cat'. He placed the two jounals in his desk, and left 185 Haven and went to look for anyone who would listen to the tales of woe that were buzzing round in his head.  //OOC The Prince of Sky; a legend some say. Others know different. A brief description of it can be found in the new Campaign Handbook, in the section describing the seas and oceans of Layonara, under Silent Sea.

Rasterick

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 01:53:00 pm »
The cardboard tube given to Reef by the Postmaster, only contained two things. The sender was unknown to Reef, as was the girl that had given the package to the postmaster.

Someone or something was starting to control Reef's future, and he did not like that, he knew what had to be done. So taking some letter paper from his desk drawer he began to write to his six best friends.

He could not do this alone.

Rasterick

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 09:39:00 am »
Reef had spent a troubled few days pondering the letters and chart sent to him. As yet, his request for information from various sources had yeilded no fruit. Delays in postal services would account for the delay in information from the various maritime, port, insurance and bonding authorities. The hastily scribbled note left in the Wild Surge Inn was only a long shot. Thinking about what he asked in the cold light of day, why would anyone risk being turned into a walking dead?

The chart was so far the most interesting, a standard maritime navigation chart, based on celestial bodies positions at a particular time of day. The charted course on it, taken from the log of the Prince of Sky, howvever the pencilled crosses and annotations show reported sightings of the mysterious vesssel. It does seem odd however,  that they all seem to be around the Forsaken Island to the South East of  Janipola. The Island that has no name.    

Rasterick

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 10:06:00 am »
He had himself, in all his time at sea, only passed through the Sea of Mists twice, each time without event, but he had met men who had strange tales to tell of that mysterious stretch of water. Most notable was a ships carpenter called Digby Gant, a old and experienced shipwright, whom he had met while serving as a mate on the White Dolphin. Digby's story was one of those tales that stuck in the mind, for Digby was a man who most looked up to, he was sober and honest, and to have seen him tell the tale, one would have taken every word he spoke as the truth.

When Reef knew Digby, he must have been a man in his late fifties, he was broad and strong, and it is said his grip was second to none, a grip that it is rumoured could crush rocks. Reef as the mate got to know most of the crew, however Digby stood out among many, for the high regard others held him in.

Many a night Reef would sit talking with the crew, singing songs, telling stories and generally whiling away the long days at sea. One particular summers night, the White Dolphin was becalmed between Dregar and Vanavar, as the ship was sail only, the only option was to wait for favourable winds. The majority of the crew had assembled on the upper deck, due to the oppressive heat below. They sat in various sized groups, talking, dozing and looking at the starry sky. Reef and several others were lent on the guardrail, watching the dolphins frollick near the ship. Next to Reef stood Digby.

As they watched, Digby spoke to Reef, "Some say they are as clever as men.". Reef nodded "Aye, happen they are smarter than some" he replied, grinning. "Some say they have senses that we have lost with time, for they seem to know the hearts of men". Said Digby solemnly. "What makes you say that then? " Reef said. And so Digby started his tale.

When I was sixteeen and an apprentice shipwright on some ship or other, we often sailed through the Sea of Mists. One day, the lookout let loose a cry of "Object in the water, looks like a small boat". the helmsman turned to Port to investigate, and yes it was, two hundred miles from any land, a small rowing boat, inside a young man, badly sun burnt and very dehydrated. We helped him onboard, as we did we saw a large school of dolphins along our side, they were leaping from the water, and trying to sink the rowing boat by crashing into it. their calls and crys almost seemed like a child crying. Well it was most strange, but we seemed more concerned with the well being of the young man. Wh sat him on the deck, and offered him water. In his semi concious state, his eyes would simply flitt from face to face, but his face never changed from that mask of pain he seemed to wear. He would not drink, he never spoke a word and had a very strange smell about him, sort of sweet, like rotten meat. The second mate, who had some basic medical skills examined him, but aside from dehydration and sunburn, could find nothing wrong with him.

I looked at him, and something just didnt seem right about him, to look at he seemed like any other young man, tall, slim about two years older than me, but he seemed like he was not real. His eyes to blue, his teeth to clean and white, his hair to brown, like he had stepped out of a painting.

As I looked at him, his face changed, it became troubled, he attempted to stand, and two of the crew helped him to his feet, he pushed their helping hands away, and lurched forward, ducking past the first mate and in two strides had reached the shipes side. In a single bound he lept the rail and hit the water with a splash.

What I saw as I dashed to the side, I have never heard of, or seen before or since. The school of dolphins attacked him, their noses hitting with such force that within only moments his body, broken and twisted sank beneath the waves, the dolphins realising that thier task was complete, gave one final squark and sped off. We did not venture in the water, for fear of attack ourselves, but we tried to hook the body with rope and hook, all to no avail. Afeter several hours searching we found nothing, we proceeded on our way, superstision made us cast adrift the boat, and as it bobbed away into the setting sun, I could have swore I saw a hand clinging to the side of it, I shook my head and looked again, this time nothing, so I kept quiet. The light faded before I lost sight of it.

We continued on our way, the crew were quiter than normal, more subdued. A day later we arrrived in North Hampton and unloaded our cargo of fruit. As we did so, the port inspector opened a few casks to inspect against the manifest, to the suprise of everyone, all of it was rotten, as if it had been stored for months instead of a week. Upon futher inspection every barrel was found to be the same. We could not explain the reason for this, and the whole cargo had to be dumped, and we forfiet out bounty.

I left the Ship in Vanavar, and helped a local shipbuilder build and repair fishing boats for a year or two. I never saw or heard  of the any of that crew again.

I to this day, do not know what made them gentle cretaures attack the young man, I, nor anyone else I ever met has ever seen them behave in that manner.

And the smell, at the time I could not place it, but having seen my share of dead men. I now knew of what he smelled.

anything