The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Drexia's Journal-excerpts  (Read 405 times)

ycleption

Drexia's Journal-excerpts
« on: January 09, 2007, 12:31:56 pm »
It has taken me a little while to do this. Although I have been outside for a while now, I have not yet grown accustomed to paper being anything other than sheer luxury. Being able to afford a material that cannot be eaten, worn, or used to build tools or shelter is somewhat thrilling. Of course, I have written on papers and parchments before, but only when scribing the dictations of one of the elder monks, or copying treatises. Recording my own thoughts, my own words in anything other than a box of sand or piece of bark is. . . well, I don't think it has really struck me until now just how different my life is now. I remember, many years ago, I and some of the other children, writing with sticks in the dirt, pretending to be monks writing Important Things.
It seems a bit wasteful to be writing my mental meanderings, when I have no great thoughts nor earthshaking ideas. And though I can afford it now, paper is still not cheap. A part of me thinks that such money would be better saved, and put towards my project. Still, there are two reasons I bought this book. Firstly, I feel that  expressing myself like this could be a valuable aid on my path. The last instruction I was given, after I received my monk's robes, was "learn who you are, act in accordance with your ki, and your road will become smooth." What better way to understand myself than keeping a record of my thoughts, and reading what I write? Secondly, I have been outside but a short time, and already I forget some of the names of those who helped me when I first arrived in Hlint. I train my mind diligently, but somehow there are always things which elude my memory. I do not intend to use this journal as a mental crutch, but rather to reinforce my training.
Thus, I dedicate this journal: to better know my own mind, and to better know this world in which I find myself.

ycleption

RE: Drexia's Journal
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 01:13:14 pm »
A short list of those who have aided me in some way. some I have journeyed with, others I have conversed with, or learned from. I will keep most of this page blank, since there are many names I do not remember, or never learned, and I anticipate needing to add people as time goes on.

Angelique

Christine

Sallaron

Galan

Mando

Praylor

Samuel

Hrothgar

Clarissa

Mylindra

Many others have been very kind to me, and it pains me that I cannot do them the simple service of remembering their names.

ycleption

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 11:32:31 am »
A few of the things which have happened to me since arriving in Hlint.

It is my intention to write on a regular basis, but I feel that in order to clear my mind for future writing, I need to at least touch upon what has happened to me thus far.
When I arrived, I decided to explore town a bit, talk to people, find out what's going on generally. Before long, I had secured two short term jobs. One, to bring back a ledger from the ratman of Hlint, and the other to defeat an undead creature. Although both tasks proved too difficult for me to achieve on my own, very nice people helped me finish the job. Although it is frustrating to need others to accomplish such tasks, I have grown to accept this, and I have become much more aware of my own limitations. Also, I find that I can learn much simply by watching others fight, even if they use different disciplines. Effectively coordinating attacks is not something I have had much training in, but it is important when fighting with others. And despite my relative lack of fighting prowess, on one occasion, I was able to use my skills to help another complete a task: a man named Samuel, needed some assistance dispatching some troublesome goblins, and was a bit nervous to ask others, but I was able to put together a fairly impressive group on his behalf.
Since then, I have taken a number of mundane jobs, such as delivering packages and such. A man named Sallaron showed me around Sielwood, and we found a necklace I later learned belonged to a bard, who rewarded me for bringing it back to her. I have been investing my earnings from these excursions at the bank: every time I get 200 True, I deposit it. I never withdraw more than half of what I have in the bank, and after I make a withdrawal, I must deposit twice as much as I took out before making another withdrawal. In this way I will always be saving money, until I have enough. Not all of my earnings have been in True though; I delivered weapons to Llast, and received a helmet with protective powers in return.
One of the more unusual events I have witnessed was an encounter with some sort of shapechanging being. A man named Hrothgar and I first encountered a group of goblins outside of Haven, in an area where they do not usually dwell. They were far stronger than any goblin I had ever seen, although Hrothgar did not seem too surprised. We were able to kill all but one, but the two of us were unable to land a single blow to  the last one. We went to search for a few companions to return with, but when we came back, we found not the goblins, but some creature who claimed he had been traveling with them, observing them. This creature seemed to be able to assume any form he chose, but had a distinctly arrogant air about him in all of them. We spoke with him for awhile, trying to ascertain exactly what he was. . . we really didn't learn much, but seemed to determine that he was not directly involved in the goblins' attacking us. After, he simply disappeared. I investigated the goblin camp, and found his tent still there, but he was nowhere to be seen. I also  found a plant growing there which has the property of protecting again shapeshifters, although whether it grows there normally or is somehow connected with his presence I do not know.
Since coming to Hlint, I have explored a good deal, Spellguard, Fort hope, and Leilon being at the far ends of my travels. The merchants in Spellguard are very nice to me, so I often journey there to buy supplies.
Besides my martial training, and travel, my days lately have been filled with the disciplines of fishing and working with cloth. Although I used to do both, it was many years ago, and regaining my skill has been a challenge: both are skills which build patience, and between the two, I should always be able to keep myself fed and clothed, thus increasing my self-reliance, and saving me True. In addition, when I have established my school, I will be able to teach these skills, since obviously not everyone is able to follow the path of the monk like myself.

ycleption

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 09:05:07 pm »
Today was not one of the better days of my life. As I mentioned, I have been working on my tailoring, but many of the items I wish to make require spider's silk thread. I asked a man (I didn't catch his name) where I could acquire spider's silk, and he told me that there was usually some cocoons in the Sielwood. He failed to warn me, however, of the exact nature of the spiders which produce this silk: I've seen smaller wolves, and they are swift too. One spider chased me all the way from the south end of the Sielwood, into Hlint. It nearly killed me, and all I could think was run, I thought I might be able to lose it, but every time I looked over my shoulder, it was still there. Finally, I reached the gates of Hlint. I thought I would be able to get inside, and bar the gates behind me, but it somehow slipped by. Luckily, I had done enough damage to the creature that another adventurer who happened to be standing there finished it off with a single stroke. I have never ever been so embaressed. The spider could have injured or killed an innocent townsperson, and it would have been my fault. Even just thinking about it, my cheeks are turning red. I was such a fool, I should never have let it inside Hlint, even if it killed me, rather than endanger bystanders.
I am not used to running away from anything, but it seems like this is becoming a far too common occupation.

ycleption

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 03:54:22 pm »
Of Culture and the Gods

In the orphanage, we were always told to refrain from speaking of the past. I have abided by this, and yet, there is one thing which I wonder, namely, would I be a follower of a particular deity had I been raised in an elven community. Obviously, the monks believed that culture was important enough that I was taught the language, and trained in the tradition elven weapons, but in my theological education, they seemed to feel that the elven gods were not worth great study. Most of the elves I have met worship deities that I think are probably incompatible with my monastic path: those who follow Aeridin are usually too hesitant to use force, those who follow Folian too unstructured, etc.. I have no doubt, the path of the monk is the correct one for who I am, the only way I could be true to myself. Still, there is a part of me that is forced to wonder if I would be a different person, had been raised in one of these traditions. Of course, the monks did not try to push any of us towards a particular god, but since they mostly worshiped Toran, Rofirein, Vorax, or no god at all, I think most of us simply adopted one of these choices without nearly as much thought as such a decision would seem to warrant.
The reason for all this, is someone (they did not offer their name) today asked me what god I worshiped, and I, quite reflexively, said none. However, upon reflection, I fear that my answer was less than truthful. Almost universally, I have found, when people say they worship a god, they mean that they do not worship any other. While I am not devoted to a single god the way paladins and clerics are, I feel that the justice of Toran and Rofirein guide me on my path. Does the fact that I do not give either my exclusive worship invalidate my prayers or the way I draw inspiration from the pair? I have never thought so, and yet somewhere I seem to have absorbed the notion that caused me to answer the way I did.
On my path, re-creating myself into the best being I can become is the single most important thing. My body must be strong and quick; my mind even more so. However, this in itself is useless without some purpose. The path may be more important than the destination, but without any destination at all, one will just wander in circles, and make no progress. On my path, only I can see within myself, but Rofirein and Toran help me with the destination. In the short term, they help me execute justice in the small missions I find myself charged with. In the longer term, they are a major reason I have decided on the goal I have. Toran's desire to empower the weak, and Rofirein's desire to forge egalitarian order, searching for justice and knowledge: these impulses are in harmony within me, they help create my destination.

ycleption

Re: Drexia's Journal
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 12:59:59 pm »
Well. I secured the apprenticeship I was looking for, however, I seem to have sparked an argument in the process. Katrien mentioned that she funds an orphanage and helps distributes clothing and goods to those who need it. I noted that often problems such as hunger are more difficult to deal with then evil beasts. Katrien, unfortunately, used my comment to criticize (I believe at least part in jest) Storold, who took it a little harder then I think was intended. Jharl joined in, accusing Storold of inappropriate behavior, which I think was far off the mark. Storold left, and I followed him. I don't know if any more was said, or if anyone apologized. I had already agreed to the first assignment of my apprenticeship, 25 cloaks and 25 patterns, but I'm a bit uncomfortable working under someone who behaves like this. I plan to speak with her about it the next time I see her.

ycleption

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 12:34:13 pm »
On Ki

Many people have been asking me why I run so fast, or how I can punch hard enough to knock down an ogre. Some have even tried to tell me that I use the Weave. I have tried to explain the nature of Ki, but I fear I haven't done a very good job; one of the things I think my education is lacking in is how to teach. So much of my studies focused on internalizing concepts of Ki, so that I understood them without relying on empty words. It's one thing to be able to say "an effective hand-strike is a movement in which the rear foot pivots, the hips and shoulders turn, propelling the arm forward..." but that knowledge hardly demonstrates physical ability to punch. In the same way, being able to take about Ki is very different from understanding it. Still, I think it would be valuable for me to write a bit about my understanding of Ki, so that I can have the words in my mind the next time somebody asks me about it, and someday, if I have a monastery of my own, I will better be able to give the foundations of the discipline.
Most simply, Ki is the force or energy that all living things possess. The great sages enjoy debating the exact nature of Ki, some saying that it is like air: an invisible material, while others argue that it is purely spiritual. Some say that Ki is an expression that springs from life, others that Ki is what creates life. Some even say that non-living materials also possess or interact with Ki, although I do not know of anyone who has demonstrated this. Given the variety of views on KI, it  must be understood that much of what I say is my personal understanding, and that of my teachers. Ki is often referred to as life energy, and because of this, is often misunderstood as a purely physical force: indeed, when properly harnessed, Ki governs the body, and with proper control, Ki can be used to help wounds close, expel toxins, and rise above the the body's physical limitations. In reality however, Ki is closer to mental energy than bodily energy: the mind is much quicker than the body, it is the mind that sees the arrow fly, and moves the hand to block it, for the arm is too slow. It is because the mind is focused on the goal that the legs move faster, not that the body is better trained. Physical training is important, because when strength of will and strength of body are in harmony with each other Ki flows strongly, but action derives from  the mind.
This life energy is similar to physical strength in that it can be trained, focused, and strengthened. However, because it is a subtle force, awareness of Ki must be achieved before it can be trained. Thus it can take many years of meditation before the smallest manipulation of Ki can be attempted. I have seen some experienced monks punch straight through well-forged metal, and I have seen some I have heard that some great monks can use their Ki like a third arm, or slay foes at a distance. However, most begin with simple exercises, such as dodging punches or thrown rocks, since body movement is one of the simplest ways to channel Ki, and also paves the way for more intensive martial application.
Personally, I have been paying a great deal of attention to these simple exercises, since the fundamentals can never be over-trained, and I think I will soon achieve greater control over my reaction speed. Following that, I plan to train my offensive speed once again. This is often the way of the monk: training in one area, and then when steps have been made, training complementing or harmonizing aspects in order to create balance in the self.

ycleption

RE: Drexia's Journal-excerpts
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 11:30:22 am »
Apprenticeship

After speaking with Storold, I decided not to confront Katrien about the matter, but rather to focus on what I can learn from her. I feel I have made significant progress in my skills, even though I have made fewer finished products than I had hoped. I have completed the 25 patterns and cloaks, and 4 boots from cougar hide. Some god must have blessed the first assignment: I only failed with 2 out of the 25 cloaks. The boots, however, were more difficult I made one with three hides I found myself, it took the nine hides that Katrien gave me to make the second, and 6 hides I found myself plus one piece of leather from Katrien to make the last two. That's 18 cougars for four pairs of boots. Perhaps the boots were simply a more difficult task, but the sheer number of failures was a bit demoralizing.
Through my apprenticeship, I have begun to craft in a very different way. It used to be I would gather a few of each material needed for a product, try to make a single item, and then repeat. Now, I have much greater resources, so I am able to work with a quantity of a material at each step, before moving on to the next. I find that doing things this way, for instance, curing five or ten hides before stretching them out, allows me to focus on the details better, I can develop a rhythm, meditating and becoming aware of every little movement I make. I think I progress much quicker, and it is more enjoyable as well.

ycleption

Re: Drexia's Journal-excerpts
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 06:16:13 pm »
I had a conversation with Krysthalien the other day. It was following a minor breakthrough I had... I've been working on a few areas of combat, and I think I have finally perfected the techniques. I went alone, and fought creatures that challenged my skills; large ogres and the like. Anyway, after meditating for a while on what I had learned, I came back to Hlint, and ended up talking with Kryshthalien. Apparently, he was also a friend of Angelique. I haven't seen her in a long time. I hope that she is training with the monks of fire, but it is a bit unsettling that neither of us have heard from her. Krysthalien and I discussed the nature of balence, I said that it seemed that devoting one's life to a single element seemed fundamentally unbalancing. He replied that some people find balance by examining one aspect, and recentering themselves around that element; seeing all else in relation to that. I don't know how much I buy that argument, but it is something I must consider and meditate on.

ycleption

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 06:43:26 pm »
Tailoring update.

I think I am almost ready to put some of my goods on the market. Thus far, I have armors from cougar leather, cougar studded leather, jaguar, jaguar studded leather, and leopard leather. I also have made two cougar bags, and have various items I have gathered in the course of my adventures.
In payment for 12 panther cloaks (of which I have made six), two lion leather slings (made), and one lion whip, plus the things which I have already made, Katrien gave me two boxes of silk, plus one of thread AND enough hides to complete the task. Although the latter I have not seen yet, the slings and four of the cloaks were made from animals I hunted myself. Given how much I have seen silk selling for, her payment must be around 10,000 trues worth of material.
Also, I talked with Katrien about selling my own work, and she said I should feel free to do so, the competition won't hurt her. In hindsight, I should have asked if I could just display my products on her shelves. She also said that the foundation would buy anything I made, at a cost less than market value, but greater than the pawnshop's offer. Perhaps this is what I should do. . . merchanting has no place in my training, but every true I gain is one closer to my goal, as well as helping to cover the cost of my own materials.

ycleption

RE: Drexia's Journal-excerpts
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 01:45:45 pm »
On trues

Trues are power. I have been criticized for holding this belief, I think some misunderstand me as endorsing materialism. There are many types of power in this world, many of which are greater than trues, but I fail to see how my belief could be construed as false. As a monk, I do not place too much value on the material, but that is irrelevant to recognizing the power of true.
In the first place, trues are power because others believe it. Many live with the solitary goal of gathering trues, many die seeking trues, many die for lack of trues.  Anything that can so consume our minds has power that can be used. So the question this leads us to is how can trues be used? Every true that I have is one that lawless sorts do not have. Every true that I gather from the body of a fallen foe is one that will not be used to buy weapons of oppression, is one that will not be used for illicit purposes. However, it must carefully be kept in mind why one is gathering true, lest we allow its power to control us, rather than the other way around.
Every time I spend true, I have a choice in whose hand to put power. If I buy something from those I know, I can be assured that the right hands hold power. If I spend carelessly, I may be paying for tools that will be used against me. Thus, it is just as important to be mindful when spending as when gaining true.
For me personally, the greatest power of trues is to buy time. Although I may physically be buying silk, or tanning oil, or whatnot, from a practical standpoint I am really buying the time I would be spending gathering or making these things by myself. When I entered this world, I tried to do everything myself, and indeed I still value self-sufficiency and I cultivate the ability to exist without help from others. I consider this a vital part of my training. However, I often find that the time gained by buying minor supplies allows me to train far more than I would by doing things myself.
Again, the key to all of this is to keep in mind personal goals, and like all forms of power, make sure that you are in control, and do not let trues have control over you.

ycleption

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 01:41:25 pm »
A few adventuring notes.

I had the most interesting adventure the other day. The Mayor of Fort Wayfare hired myself and a handful of others, including Clarissa, Nyeaeana, Zergon, and Talia. Apparently travelers had been disappearing around the caverns where the beholders dwell. We asked a a local, who said that there were bodies all over, undead crawling around the place, and some sort of taint. When we arrived, we saw all of this, but none-the-less waded into the dark tunnels. After cautiously making our way through, we came across some sort of dark undead being (one person mentioned that it was a "shade"), who claimed responsibility for the atrocities, saying that he needed a particular kind of heart. He said even if we slew him (which we did of course), there was one other. We went on, and destroyed the beholders lair, but unless one of them was what the dark thing referred to, we found no trace of this "other" nor any more undead. However, the dark taint that we experienced seemed to have gone away. We fought our way out, and returned to tell the mayor what happened and receive our reward. As well, a cleric came to revive the two members of our party who fell.

Yesterday, I encountered Peanut in the crafthall, and we decided to go adventuring somewhere. Shiff, who happened to be there at the time, came along with us. We decided, on my recommendation, to investigate the mercenary and criminal activity outside of Mariner's Hold. The mercenaries that I had encountered the previous day were no longer there, however, we went into the stronghold, and slew a number of thugs. It became quickly clear that it would be unwise to press further, so we retreated to discuss our options. I sent a falcon to Mylindra, who brought Storold and Tyrian with her... It was a good thing that she did so, because the gang, apparently provoked by our initial incursion, brought significant reinforcements. Even for the five of us (Peanut, unfortunately, left), it was no easy battle. Indeed, Shiff died... Although he is often reckless, charging without thinking, I cannot fault the way he engaged the enemy, as I almost fell as well; I got trapped by the door and was unable to retreat. Unfortunately, Shiff did not have a soul stone with him, and Mylindra raised him, which took a considerable toll on her. To his credit, he clearly felt bad about the incident, and understood how his folly cost others, but still. . . I  can't figure out that man: he can be callous, shallow, reckless, and foolish, but I have also seen him act with thoughtfulness and even gallantry. It was not the best ending to a journey, but I had not fought alongside Peanut, (or Mylindra and company for that matter) for awhile, and it was enjoyable to do so.

Banking note:

I have decided to abandon my proposed plan to save true. Although it was a good exercise in monetary discipline (since I had never owned a single true before), I feel now it was a bit naive of me. In the first place, it is wasteful to have resources sitting in the bank, doing nothing for me. Secondly, if I invest my true in equipment that I intend to buy, it will probably pay for itself in the long run, since I can make far more true with better equipment. Thirdly, I can sell them if I outgrow them anyway. Especially after my meditation on the nature of true, I have realized that my long term goals are not helped by idle resources, even with the best intentions to use it at some point.

ycleption

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 05:06:59 pm »
A short note on an interesting adventure.

Kobolds have apparently been creating more than their usual havoc. I joined a group trying to track down and kill a kobold who has been placing lethal traps around Silkwood forest, all the way up to the gates of Hlint. We were able to find the culprit and kill him, although it was  a rough adventure. Apparently, there are more like this one that we have yet to find. Hopefully, I will be able to seek these out as well.

ycleption

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 05:53:19 pm »
Tomas the Archer

A new elf in town, named Cai'ron, has apparently incurred the wrath of a drow by the name of Tomas the Archer. This Tomas made repeated threats to poor Cai'ron, and generally made it clear he has little regard for anyone but himself. I believe him to be a follower of Bareon Ca'Duz, as he seems to have a reverence for spiders. He also apparently summoned some sort of metal spider, that somehow marked Cai'ron for death, according to Tomas. I have reported the whole matter to Captain Trent, which appears to be the only thing I can do at the moment, but I still find the whole thing very unsettling. One part of me wants to follow Toran's dictum to seek out servants of evil (which I have no doubt that he is, despite the fact the he has only spoken of these things thus far), the other seems bound by Rofirein's law, which tells me I have done all I can.
Tomas is very slippery; he always seems to be able to evade questions, and even disappeared when he pushed me too far and I offered to fight him. I feel that if I take his words too seriously, I give him power: he is clearly trying to frighten us, and I do not want him to succeed. On the other hand, if I dismiss his threats, it gives him freedom to carry them out. I have made it clear that I do not, and will not trust him, nor will I go on excursions where he is present.
I have heard of the slavery that goes on in drow society, but hearing the way he speaks of people crying in the slave pens is just chilling. He mocked the fact that I do nothing about something I find so abhorrent, but obviously addressing such a problem is far beyond my current capabilities.
He claims (or I should say, he did not dispute me me when I asked him) that he came to the surface out of sheer boredom. I find this hard to swallow, especially since he admits to being a spy. It just seems to convenient. Combined  with his interest in our discussion about outfitting archers, I see no way that I can trust this drow. He will have my eyes on him, and should he carry out anything he speaks of... I shall make him rue it.

ycleption

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 04:14:52 pm »
On governance

Last night, I had the most interesting discussion with Tadgh and Katrien and a few others. Although Tadgh's argument was completely absurd and tautological, it did provoke a lot of thought. Tadgh's basic argument was that any single-ruler system is tyrannical, but his definition of tyranny was when a single person holds power. I tried to point out that all he was saying is that people who have power are people who have power, but I think the emotion the word tyranny invokes seemed to be as much his point as anything else. Katrien wisely pointed out that while monarchies certainly have a potential for abuse, so does any other system. While in an ideal world, absence of government would work, since everyone would police themselves, we are in far from an ideal world. Tadgh also proposed, as an alternative to anarchy, an elected group of people to rule a nation. I can see such a thing in a small town, where everybody knows each other and can make decisions by a simple show of hands to choose a mayor. However I think it utterly impractical to implement such a system on a larger scale. In the first place, the sheer cost involved would be enormous: can you imagine going up to a poor peasant and telling him that the tax was going to increase, in order to buy paper for ballots and supply people to travel and collect and count votes, just so that he could have a tiny bit of input into choosing who would rule. Secondly, unless you had one member of this group from each little hamlet, how would people be able to know anything about who they were voting for? Thirdly, the cost of maintaining such a group, and time for decisions to be made would be prohibitive. Still, there are certainly merits to have municipal leaders in some sort of capacity: perhaps local advisers, each living in their own town, but with a private falcon to send messages to the king or queen, that way they could have input on decisions from various perspectives throughout the kingdom, without the expense of traveling.
Now, while there are certainly downsides to having too much power in one person's hands (and I don't think it's much of an intellectual exercise to enumerate possible abuses of power), monarchies have many positives as well. In the first place, it seems to me that the child of a king, having been prepared for the responsibilities of power from childhood, is far better equipped to deal with being a ruler than anyone else. Having centralized power permits much faster response to emergencies. If something goes wrong, the responsibility is clear, and there is not the bickering about blame that too often occurs when groups share power. Finally, a bit more cynically, a monarch depends on taxes in order to do anything, and if their kingdom is not healthy, it will not produce goods to be taxed. Thus it is in the best interest of a monarch to work for the well-being of the whole; monarchs who neglect the needs of their peasants tend not to have long reigns.
I am sure there are many other types of governance that could be implemented, some of which may be inexpensive to the public, more resistant to abuses, and encouraging of looking out for the public good. However, the cost in the social unrest that changing systems generally causes is in all likelihood greater than the potential benefits of a new system. Especially now, when there is already a great deal of unrest, we need to band together under the systems that we have, otherwise we shall surely splinter and fall apart when more difficult times come.

//It's rather fun to try and get in the head of someone living in a pre-modern society, thinking about said society. . .

ycleption

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 06:38:04 pm »
Another adventuring note: evil kobolds

Well, after the last episode with the kobold trapper, I decided to pursue the matter, and so last night joined with a group, many of whom went last time, to seek out more. We realized that the next spot we needed to check was the Haven Iron Mines. Some thought to seek out the local kobold population, and convince them to divulge any information. However, as I rather suspected would happen, our attempts at diplomacy were met with a knife, and we were forced to kill all the kobolds in order to defend ourselves. Seeing that failure, we decided to head for the mines.
We talked to Kit on the way, who reported no suspicious activities. Once in the mines, we were very surprised to see no foul creatures, neither gnoll nor kobold. In fact the first creature we did come across was a dead kobold, apparently left there by the gnolls as a warning. This was definitely one of the ones we were seeking as it had a Pyrtechonite tattoo, apparently one indicating relatively low rank. We found the beginnings of a tunnel, in all likelyhood started by the dead kobold.  We had a skirmish with some some gnolls, and proceeded down the stairs. Luckily, our rear guard (who I had recently introduced to the idea of watching behind the group when guarding the rear, instead of just listening), saw a door open and then close, undoubtedly the kobold trapper under a spell of invisibility. We quickly realized what was going on: the kobold was intending for us to clear the gnolls out of the cave, then the kobolds would be free to open up shop. The trapper wasn't putting anything in front of us, because it wanted us to be healthy enough to fight the gnolls, and so it just trapped behind as as we made our way through the mines. We decided, since we knew it was behind us, to head back for the entrance. Although the gnolls and the traps did a deal of damage to all of us, we managed to find and kill the trapper, and make our way out with only two casualties. Unfortunately, we were unable to find the trappers laboratory, or do a thorough search to see if there were any underlings left. I am somewhat apprehensive about that... surely if the trapper thought we were skilled enough to defeat the gnolls, it must have had some plan to ensure our demise (what kind I'm not sure): it must have known that once the gnolls were dead, we had sufficient know-how to disarm any traps, since it would not have then been able to use the gnolls tactically to lure us into traps any more. On the other hand, maybe we were mistaken, and it was trying to use the gnolls to kill us rather than the other way around. Regardless, we were able to kill the thing, so at least that is taken care of. I hope that my training permits me to go on further missions to finally solve the matter.

ycleption

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2007, 04:18:43 pm »
Mylindra and Tyrian and I went to Dragon Isles yesterday. Mylindra fell trying to distract a group of trolls, but we were able to help her back to her grave. Other than that, it was a splendid outing. We fought a variety of creatures, and I finally found out where [unamed cnr] hide. I have been working on some new hyung, or forms, and I think I have finally moved to the point where I can use them in combat, rather than just as meditation and practice. I struggle to achieve the attack "swift as falling meteorites" that the master spoke of. Still, I am improving. The other day, I had a theological disagreement with a Mistite from northern parts, a tribe that follows the soul of the elk, she said. She challenged me to combat, testing our respective styles. The wielded a large sword, with which she struck quite hard... the first blow that she landed on me knocked me flat on my back. For a second, I thought I was in trouble, but I calmed my mind, channeled my ki inward to re-prepare my body, and fought. Although she was strong, I landed many more blows than she did, and was able to land a knife hand into her collar bone, which stunned her for a moment, and then was able to knock her down with my ki, after which she had little chance to recover. After I rested, I met her coming back to find her grave... it was interesting, we each were able to find respect for the other, despite our deeply different philosophies. She seemed embarrassed about falling to me (more so, I think, than had she fallen to one of her own ilk) and I told her that knowledge of our encounter would remain between us alone.

ycleption

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2007, 08:36:08 pm »
Black Box

Yesterday, while discussing a number of matters with the renowned Ozymandias, Canius asked about how one might expect to be greeted by a lord of the astral plane. Apparently, some wizard whose master was said lord, was seeking a small group to perform some task. Intrigued, I joined with the group who set out to Allindor to meet this wizard.
There was some confusion about exactly where we were supposed to meet, but we made our way to Greywatch Tower, where the wizard made a . . . flamboyant entrance. He explained to us our task: his mentor created a small black box which we were to retrieve. Apparently this mentor went insane around the time he created this box, and the wizard was forced to kill him. What properties this box has, and whether it caused his insanity, or was mere coincidence is unknown. The box is sequestered in somewhere, "a fortress of madness" protected by arcane powers, and we were to be teleported in.
Although the arcane details eluded me, he seemed to take great precautions to ensure our safety, preparing a mystic circle, giving us some sort of stone which helped him scry on us, and giving Malor a wand, which could be activated to alert the wizard that we needed to be brought back.
We stood on specific points of the circle, and the next thing I knew, we were standing in a doorless and windowless room filled with food, and people partying - a veritable celebration of excess. I asked a man where we were, and he explained we were in the plane of gluttony. Although I am no expert on planar matters, I immediately doubted the existence of such a place. It soon became obvious that the denizens of this place would be no help in escaping, as they were too focused on their hedonistic pursuits. Some of the group's attention was drawn to a mirror, made of strange material, in the corner of the room.  After some examination, the more brutish members of the group (such as Steel) decided to use the direct approach, and smashed through the surface.
A "void," as Malor termed it, opened, and despite our best efforts, we were sucked inside. We were all disembodied, deprived of most of our senses, save hearing, I was aware of  the others (perhaps our ki still flowed: must meditate on that). After much disagreement about what we should focus on, we realized that simply walking, ignoring the fact that we didn't have bodies, walked to an exit, a door, and found ourselves in a dungeon.
We met a dishevelled man, who appeared to have lost his mind, (perhaps why the wizard called this a fortress of madness), who raved about how there was no escape, and zombies would eat our brains. Indeed, we were set upon by foul undead things. After defeating them, we found a chest with a key and charred mace. Somehow in the confusion of battle, the poor lunatic we found disappeared, to where I don't know. Through dint of arms, we broke through a wall, and found another chest, which was unlocked by the key we found. Inside the chest, were four gemstones, each of which presumably corresponded to a colored light in the room, and an inscription, "Unlike to like or like to like. Do opposites attract your or does that which you know hold your appeal?". After discussion, we agreed that the gemstones and lights corresponded to the four elements, and hoping to gain new knowledge (although, in hindsight, I realize that the inscription is not really speaking of gaining knowledge), we placed them in what we hoped were opposing containers. I do not know where we made an error, but first a group of air, then water elementals appeared and attacked us. We were able to beat back the first group without too much difficulty, but while battling the elementals of water, one came at me with incredible force, and I felt water entering my lungs.... the next thing I knew we were back by Greywatch Tower, summoned back by the wizard who sent us. I do not know how long it was before I was revived, but given their discussion, I do not think it was long.
We are meeting again in a month to go back. I will make sure to write down what transpires then.

ycleption

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2007, 03:09:36 pm »
Rofirein

While I am still trying to put all the pieces together, the changes that I have heard of in Rofirein's church are unsettling to say the least, if what I hear is true. It seems that the church is  abandoning its own law, and enforcing that of Broegar. They are not wanted as an authority in Prantz, but are willing to simply be enforcers of the unduly harsh system. Some say that as Rofirein governs law, this is right and proper. I could not disagree more, from all that I know of Rofiren's dogma.
Rofirein dicates that all are to be treated with honor; how can a system that treats people so poorly be construed as being part of Rofirein's ways?

Rofirien implores his followers to follow the path of virtue,  justice, and knowledge; How can laws that twist or suppress these concepts to serve those in power should not be called Rofirein's ways?

Rofirein is called Lord Protector, and adjures aiding others; How can laws that do not protect but oppress be said to be part of Rofirein's ways.

I believe that Justice can only be created by balance. Lean too far one way and you have anarchy, too far the other and you have tyranny. Laws that enforce the extremes are fundamentally unjust. The Rofireinite church seems to disagree with me. Thus, followers of the All-seeing are left with a few choices: one, go along with the new direction the church is taking. Two, abandon the church's new direction, but try to follow Rofirein regardless. Three, apostasy. Mylindra (who I respect greatly) seems to be one of the few devoted followers who is not choosing the first option, although I'm not exactly sure which she is selecting. Myself, I have been wrestling with how to respond to these events. Still, anything I feel can only be a fraction of what Mylindra must be going through.
All I know is that prayers to Rofirein have not sprung joyfully to my lips the way they used to.

ycleption

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 04:15:42 pm »
A few notes.

I Have made much progress in working hides of late. I need to work a bit more on my needle skill, for I have not had much success in finishing items, but I have become much better at working the hides of dire animals. The one finished piece I have created of late, I took extreme care with, and was rewarded with a very fine belt. Mylindra took one look at it and promptly purchased it, and even made me an enchantment for a new pair of gloves I hope to buy or make soon. Since I have quite a bit of true that I didn't anticipate having before, I am considering placing a bounty on lions, to try and make a bag or two.

Peanut and I went hunting and fishing yesterday, and after catching a few large fish, we decided to explore a bit. Oddly, we didn't come across any of the forest giants that I've seen around that area before (and we stayed well clear of the blue snakes), so we didn't fight or train at all. It was rather nice to be able to relax and just travel a bit, and I enjoy any time I spend with Peanut. While we were there, I finally found the Elemental Monastery: it was truly an awe-inspiring place. It confuses me however, how a temple can be devoted to balance between the elements, but encourage each follower to take a single element, seems to unbalance the individual...