The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Fireside chats with Mrowr  (Read 534 times)

Iconoclastic

Fireside chats with Mrowr
« on: November 06, 2012, 09:18:22 pm »
"You stink."  came the growl from the shadows.

Elyse blinked, and looked around.  The shadowy panther lay there among the bushes at the clearing's edge.

"How did you get here Mrowr?" she asked, flicking her tail in annoyance.  She knew she stunk.. that short stocky two-foot had led her through artificial caves filled with unnatural.. things.  Destroying them had been good work, but messy and.. yes, stinky work.  "Last time I saw you, you were running off to court a mate, and that was an ocean away...?"

"Another male, she with him.  Followed you.  Hid in the floating den."  He stretched unhurriedly, making her wait before he wandered over to her by the campfire.  "Now here in new place."

She made a face, grimacing as she looked over at the town nearby.  "These two-foots are strange, barbarians.  They don't know how to live.. they smell, and make the land around them smell.  And they never shut up.. all day, all night.. there's jabber and banging and running around and..."

The panther sniffed at the fish she ad been preparing when he first spoke.  "...and it not like home?"  She had the distinct impression he was laughing at her then.  "It not home - it new place."  He then rewarded himself for his pearl of wisdom by swiping one of the fish to chew on.

She hmf'ed softly, "that one's not cooked yet."  He didn't answer so she sighed, poking the end of a stick with a spitted fish into the ground so the fish was over the fire.  "Its not home... I can't talk to hardly anyone... hey!" She gave the panther a glare at his amused look.  "Don't tell me...  I know.  That's how it always is for you.  But I expected at least a few to speak a civilized tongue...."

Mrowr sat up again having made short work of his fish.  "You wait.  Meet people.  Do people-things.  Have more friends soon."

She sighed and then hugged her friend, giving him a nuzzle as she purred softly.  "You're right.  I'm glad you're here, with you I'm not so lonely."

Mrowr turned to her and slurped her face with fish-scented tongue.  "You not lonely."  He murred, amusedly.  "Just stink."

The following users thanked this post: lonnarin

Iconoclastic

Re: Fireside chats with Mrowr
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 08:17:43 pm »
"Are you going to tell me I stink again?"

The panther had looked up at her as she came striding back to the campsite, sniffing and scrunching his muzzle.  But at her question he turned his head non-chalantly and began to lick down his fur.  "No.  Why would I do that?"

She chuckled.  "Because I've been out killing those.. unliving things again, and I know you can tell.  Some of them burst all over everyone like rotten fruit when they're put back to rest.  Its disgusting."

Mrowr growled softly, nipping at a burr caught in his coat, then spat it out.  "I'm sure it is, because thats how you smell when you come back from those places."  He started licking one paw and running it over his face to wash it.  "But I'm too polite to mention something like that." He murred aloofly.

"Oh, since when?" she laughed and sat by the fire.  "First that short stumpy two-foot Kay-gin, then this other group's hunt... I wonder if this whole land is infested with those things?"

The panther stopped his grooming to listen, stretching out in the circle of warmth around the fire.  "So how did the hunt go?  How many did you kill?"

Elyse sighed and poked at the fire with a stick.

"What, none?"  He flicked his tail.

"One.. but even that wasn't on my own.  Someone else mostly-killed it first."  she sighed, then dropped the stick into the fire.  "The things were too strong.. if I'd been alone.  Well, alone I wouldn't have gone in there at all, but that is beside the point.  I would have been the prey, and easy prey at that, for those things.  Without the others I was with."

Mrowr rolled on his back, and stretched, batting his paws at her leg to try to cheer her up with a bit of kittenishness...  "Of course.. a pride is always stronger together than a lone hunter."

She smiled at his antics, and rubbed him under the chin a bit.  "Its not just that.  Every one of them fought like the most skilled Elders I've ever seen.. or better.  Their blades could cleave stone, and blazing auras surrounded us with a wave of their hands, and storms answered their calls.  I felt like I was just a cub again, compared with them.  I wonder if I could find someone to teach me to fight better, or other ways to help...  then I wouldn't feel useless in their company."

Mrowr purred a soft rumble from the petting, "I know where you can practice hunting.  There's a flock of birds just up that road there."

"Birds?"  She peered at him...

"Uh huh, big ones, several of them, right by the road."

Her suspicions were confirmed when Mrowr licked his chops.  "You just want dinner I think.  Why don't you catch one for yourself?"

The panther looked affrontedly to her.  "I couldn't do that...!  There's some cougars there, its their territory.  Not my place to hunt, that would be a grave insult to them."

She narrowed her eyes, "So you want ME to..."

The panther sat up with an eager gleam in his eyes, as his tail flicked with the thought of dinner.  "Hunting for myself would be a transgression you see... but if I'm just there to aid in my friend's hunt...."

She rolled her eyes.  "Come on...  Lazy panther."  She didn't look back, but could just imagine him grinning, or sticking his tongue at her.  Sometimes she regretted teaching him that expression...