The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: From Street Mouse to Striker  (Read 2726 times)

Alatriel

Re: From Street Mouse to Striker
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2009, 12:23:43 pm »
I can't write when Stalker's here... She can see what I'm writing... but she been teaching me how to swim.  Be better if the water weren't so dang cold.

Alatriel

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 01:24:19 pm »
I had to get a box from Stalker's pa.  He seem to think that she were gonna be there not me and then he just want to talk to me bout all the stuff Stalker's teaching me.  I don't know if I'm supposed to tell people what she been teaching me, so I told him just the basic stuff bout her teaching me how to swim and how to be a Striker.  He done told me that there are lots of different kinds of Strikers.  He said he couldn't move or sneak none, but Stalker could, but that she ain't no Mouse cause she's round like a woman.  He said she look like her ma.  I dunno if I look like my ma.  I don't wanna think bout that.

Mister Shiff told me ta stick him and then when I done that he wapped me on the head with his stick.  Stung something fierce too.  He done it a couple times and he said I were sneaky.  Then he made me walk with him all the way back to Vehl again and go to the Arena with him.  He said he don't want me to hit him no more, but he teached me something he called the Nine Alleys, but first he called them angles, not alleys.  Stalker done corrected me though and said they were called Alleys, not Angles.  Don't really matter none.  Same thing.  Nine different ways to hit people.  Don't matter what you hit them with, they all gotta be in one of them directions.  

Stalker gave me some armor made outta cougar hide, but I already got some of those leathers.  They're alright but I like my other ones better.  So she took them back.  Then couple days later she gived me some really pretty black ones made outta panther skins.  They look sorta like hers.  She told me I can grow into them cause they're still a bit big for me.  I don't think I'm gonna get much bigger'n what I am right now, but maybe she can make them fit me if I ask her real nice.  She told me to go away after that when this man who talks real odd came up named Zahid.  She didn't want me round when he were there.  She told me afore she ain't that kinda girl neither, but maybe she changed her mind.  Either way.  If she gonna go and be with that odd talking man, she won't want me round no more.  Guess I gotta learn what I can while she still wants to teach me.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 07:33:30 pm »
Tyra takes an entire day to work on grappling with Bella.  Ranging from simple hold breaks to complex counters-grapples, she makes sure that Bella gets an idea of how to protect herself without her swords.  However, Tyra seems to put a lot into this training, seeming to want Bella to know and understand the grapples well enough to even use them well against Tyra.

Though by the end of the day, Bella has not reached any sort of mastery yet, they are both very sore.  Afterwards Tyra goes off to meditate alone, leaving Bella with her own supply of ointment, and letting herself hurt on purpose.

Afterwards Tyra remains with Bella to talk...

Alatriel

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 07:34:46 pm »
I ain't training with nobody but Stalker no more.  I don't like getting beat.  Stalker done promised me she won't beat me none and she ain't been beating me none.  But everybody else that knows I been training always want to see what I know now, and then I get swatted or beat.  Mister Ben done knocked the wind outta me.  Guess I still can't trust nobody but myself.

Alatriel

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 01:58:30 pm »
Maybe I shoulda just left afore I started with the real training.  Stalker keeps telling me she care bout me.  She get all serious like and telling me that I ain't nothing no more.  Well maybe I ain't nothing no more, but I ain't something yet.  She change her mind bout men I reckon.  She like that bald funny talking man who think I'm stupid.  I reckon he don't think I'm stupid no more, but I done got in big trouble for saying I were gonna throw a *expletive* rock at him when he were meditating.  I don't like him none.  Maybe he were nice now, but he won't be nice forever.  Men get mean.  I seen it plenty times.  I ain't gonna let nobody be mean and hit Stalker none just cause I'm round.  It ain't gonna be my fault this time.  She done told me I shoulda been her daughter.  But she ain't my ma.

Alatriel

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 01:48:59 am »
I think Stalker's off her nut.  She talks to a fake little bear.  And she makes it talk back to her... and to me.  She told me she were going to get me my own bear if I want one.  I told her it's okay but I don't want mine to talk none.  I know it ain't real.  She said I'm lergic to her room or something.  She keep telling me I gotta go wash my hands and face but I already been and take a bath every day cause she made me but then she make me go and wash my hands and face again any time my nose itches.  She went and cleaned up her room after she said I were lergic to it.  And she went and put a pillow and a blanket under her bed for me.  I ain't never had a pillow afore.

And I don't never want to never think bout that big blue man being my pa ever again.  Even if he were joking, it weren't funny.

ShiffDrgnhrt

A Place of Safety
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 04:24:30 pm »
The next time Bella goes into Tyra's room at the Arms, she will find a bed roll laid out under Tyra's bed, along with a Blanket and pillow.  She also might notice a fresh sheet over her head, covering the underside of Tyra's bed.  On top of the pillow, however sits...

...along with a note:
To Bella,
Here is your own teddy bear.  Teddy promised me that he won't talk to
 you unless you want him to.  Try to keep him clean, and leave him on
 top of my bed when you're not in the room.  And be sure to name him.
From,
Tyra

Alatriel

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2009, 01:50:36 pm »
Stalker gived me a bear of my own.  She said I gotta name it.  I did.  I named it Harrison.  Stalker said it's a boy bear, but I don't rightly know.  I don't wanna tell Stalker, but Harrison's the softest thing I ever owned afore.  And... I don't wanna tell her she's right or nothing, but he's real good to hug at night.  Specially when there's thunder.  He don't talk to me and I'm glad cause I might have to throw him cross the room if he did cause I don't think he's supposed to really talk.  But he don't.  But he don't mind if I ask him questions none.  I don't never talk to him out loud, but I talk to him in my head.  That way nobody can think I'm off my nut like Stalker is.  

ShiffDrgnhrt

"Don't worry, I'm here.."
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2009, 03:46:30 pm »
On one of Leringard's stormiest nights, Tyra comforts Bella as she cowers under her bed. She learns, however, that it's not the storm Bella fears, but her father. Eventually Tyra calms her little apprentice, stuffed under the bed with her, holding her as Bella cries, finally letting go of some of her horrible past.

"It's okay, Bella..." she says softly as she holds her, "I'm here..."

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2009, 10:23:30 am »
With a touch of bitterness, Tyra tells Bella that her father has been dead for years after coming back from her hunt in Fort Vehl...

ShiffDrgnhrt

The Rules of the Striker
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2009, 12:40:37 am »
Tyra leaves a letter under her bed for Bella to find.  Attached to it is a tab, reading "The Rules"...

Upon opening it, Bella would find...

• 1. If you don't know, ask. If you need help, ask. Never be too proud to request help.
  • 2. Know your enemy; knowledge will keep you alive. Location, strength, numbers, weaknesses.
  • 3. Never rush headlong into danger - a Striker is little better suited to taking an enemy charge than a mage.
  • 4. A Striker flanks, and cuts down the enemy. A Striker is like an archer who gets much closer, and hits much harder.

Alatriel

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2009, 08:55:06 am »
Bella writes back to Tyra:

Stalker,
I thought you didn't want me to ask so many questions cause it hurts your head something fierce?

- Mouse

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2009, 10:09:00 am »
Seeing the note on her desk, she turns it over and writes...
[INDENT]This applies to more then just me.  Those are the first rules of the Striker.  If you don't know something, ask.  And you already are rather proficient at it...  Just don't ask me so many questions all the time...  I'll tell you what you need to know when you're with me.

~Tyra
[/INDENT]

ShiffDrgnhrt

A Mission of Import
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2009, 11:18:04 pm »
A parcel appears on Bella's pillow.
 [INDENT] Bella, I need you to get ready for a task I need your help with.  We will be looking into commandeering the old Fort in the Dapplegreen.  Make sure your swords are sharp and your armor is mended and secure.  Prepare any provisions you think you might need as we could be in the woods for a while.  I will look over what you want to bring before we leave.  This will be potentially dangerous.  Prepare well.  I will tell you more when I can.

Stalker
[/INDENT]

Alatriel

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2009, 12:14:28 am »
A note is left for Tyra on her bed.

Stalker-

I got to talk to ya.  I got some questions I wanna ask you.  

~Mouse.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2009, 11:22:47 pm »
Tyra leaves a scroll for Bella...

[LIST=1]
  • Your livelihood rests on two things: knowledge and reputation.
  • Know your enemies.
  • No one is innocent.
  • Everything dies.
  • Do not kill unless you are facing your enemies.
  • Protect those who are not your enemies.
  • A child is never your enemy.
  • Retreat in the face of defeat is wise, if not noble.
These are the first 8 of the 11 Axioms.  I want you to think about them and memorize them.  I want you to have questions, also.  These are things that you can use to figure out how to accomplish your goals, if you have any.

And the next time you decide you are going to disappear for a month, tell me.  I was almost ready to come looking for you, and I don't think you want that.  Just leave a note, at least.

~Tyra

PS - You did well in the caves.  Keep it up.

Alatriel

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2009, 05:42:05 am »
*another note is left for Tyra*

Hey Stalker,
I done read all these things you said were them Axioms you wanted me to read.  I ain't sure if I agree with them or not.  You telling me you don't think a little bitty baby's innocent?  And I know that Big Blue Man Steal said everything dies, but I still don't think he's right about that.  I know that the wind can die down, but it ain't cause it really died.  The air didn't die or nothing.  And you can crush up a rock, but it ain't dead.  I tried.  I done broke some with a shovel.  They still rocks, just littler.  And what it says bout reputation.  That some part of why you always telling me to go take a bath?

You told me to ask questions.  You cain't take it back now, I done heard you say it.

~Mouse

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2009, 08:58:34 pm »
Tyra, having been there for the fire, comes up behind Bella and drops something in her lap...

A singed but intact pair of Teddy Bears...

"That's why you leave him on my bed..." She leans over and pats Bella on the head and walks back to the scene of the fire to retrieve her collection of weapons and a few pairs of armor, all stored, and all metal...

Alatriel

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2009, 08:03:03 am »
Well, I guess it were nice to have a roof over my head again.  Even if it weren't gonna last too long.  It don't matter none.  I been fine afore sleeping in the dirt and I'll be fine again sleeping in the dirt.  Alleys ain't nothing new to me.  I don't rightly know what they're looking for that big blue man Steal for.  But his hole house just got burnt down to the ground and now stead of letting him build it back up again he got people looking for him like he done something wrong.  I ain't talked to Stalker bout it none yet.  Maybe she know whats going on.  Iffn she do, might be she won't tell me anyhow.  Sometimes she like that.  She don't wanna tell me cause she says I don't need to know none.  Or she says she'll tell me later, but then forgets.  That big blue man Steal done taught me something though.  Everybody dies.  Welp, I ain't died yet and I wanna keep it that way.  But by the look of those Blackwatchers, iffn they get a hold on him he'll be doing some dying hisself.

Alatriel

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2009, 10:32:33 pm »
Stalker says I ain't no Mouse no more.  I guess I ain't really.  She been yelling something fierce all the time now and ordrin me round like I'm hers ta boss.  I reckon I still care bout her and all but she done taught me to not let nobody push me round no more, so why's that mean I gotta let her?  That big blue man Steal done said something right funny though.  He done told Stalker iffn she ain't careful her lil mouse's gonna bite her finger.  Well, I done told her iffn she don't wanna be my teacher no more she ain't gotta, but I ain't gonna let her jest tell me to shut it all the time.  I can take care a my own self, I can.  I can buy my own rooms at inns and I can buy my own food and drinks.  I don't need nobody taking care a me none no more.  I done took care a myself for a long time and I can do it again sure thing.  She says she wants me to work with her.  I told her I'll work with her, but I ain't working for her, specially not iffn I ain't getting paid.  I read them Axioms she done told me to read and I learned them good.  

anything