The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: From Street Mouse to Striker  (Read 2808 times)

Alatriel

Re: From Street Mouse to Striker
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2010, 11:20:08 pm »
Daniel was back.  But it wasn't the same Daniel.  He was harder, colder, than she remembered.  Full of a deeper conviction to bring justice.  She knew when she'd gone down this path that sooner or later she and Daniel would be on opposite sides of the same coin.  

He said he missed her, but he had never once tried to hug her, to kiss her, to even touch her so that she could feel that strength and protection that she longed for even as she fought against him.  Daniel was someone she counted on.  Probably the only person she really trusted.  

Bella sat for a long time on the edge of her bed, Rebecca's soft breathing steady and rhythmic behind her, and Daniel's light snores drifting from the floor in front of the fire where he'd chosen to sleep.  She stared across the room at the sound, as if there was a stranger in the room.  It had been so long since they'd been together.  

Daniel was angry.  He masked it well, but he was angry.  Bella had had the chance to lay to rest the mist that took Rachel.  The action did not bring any relief of the pain of the loss, it simply made her feel empty.  The ones truly responsible for loosing those creatures upon the world to kill so many people that did not deserve to die in such a manner were still out there.  One day, Leisa would pay for what she had done.  But today was not that day.

Daniel, however, had decided that Viper was the one he would hunt.  It made sense really.  Bella knew he'd been dreaming about her for years.  Nightmares really.  Rachel's death would be another nightmare added to the pile of haunted fantasies that Daniel harbored about the masked woman he knew nothing about.

Splintering Viper from Bella had grown second nature to Bella.  Viper was the Dread Blade that she carried inside of her at all times.  The mask she wore only to signify to the rest of the world what they would not be able to accept by seeing the plain, small-framed woman that Bella appeared to be in most cases- the Mouse.  Even now, older, more experienced, a true weapon master in her own right, she was still small, and to the untrained eye, she was scrawny.  She spoke quietly, she spoke with her native accent that could easily be traced to Fort Vehl in Co'rys.  Bella the Mouse had never really died, she simply became the other mask.

Bella sat there for over an hour, listening to the rhythmic duet of breaths from her daughter and husband, trying to decide what to do next.  Her love for Daniel had never diminished, but she couldn't help but feel as if something had been lost along the way.  Rachel's death merely made that loss all the more poignant.  Would he ever really understand that what she did, a large part she did for him?  Would he ever know that the choices she made she had done so not out of selfishness but out of the realization that those choices simply had to be made?  There was no other way.  Part of her wanted to believe, that yes, someone who had been called to serve a Dragon, a god of law, would understand the  pure driven need to follow a pull, a calling, whatever that calling was.  That to be true to herself, and true to the Dragon that, even though she did not follow in her heart, she respected enough to trust in his judgement, she had to do things that others would balk at attempting.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of her stomach rumbling.  Almost as if she was once again the small child in the one-room, broken and dirty shack in Fort Vehl, Bella creeped quietly across the floor, her bare feet making hardly a sound as she crossed to the door.  Thankfully, the newly remodeled doors had been well oiled, and the hinges seemed not to let out more than a whisper of a complaint as she threw the latch of the door and snuck out into the hallway of the Leringard Arms.

She quietly crept down to the kitchen, looking for something to sate her protesting stomach, and found the supplies to make herself a sandwich.  Taking her snack with her, she walked quietly back towards her room, when she saw a light on in one of the suites and heard the sounds of a wooden chest being moved into place.

"I thought ya were done in here..." Bella asked, peering in the door, expecting to see Steel still at work arranging things, but he wasn't there.  "Steel?" she asked into the seemingly empty room, then shrugged and went back towards the hallway, leaving the door ajar.

"Pajamas?" the familiar voice asked behind her, as Steel let the shrowd of invisibility fall.  "What time is it?"

"Oh," she said as she turned back to face him. "Was startin' ta think this place were haunted.  I dunno... Dan's here," she informed awkwardly.

"In the condo upstairs?" Steel inquired.

"I got some rent fer ya.  Prolly only bout half whatever it's worth, but it's yers iffn ya want it."

Steel waved his hand dismissively, looking tired, though not weary.  Bella shrugged, slightly uncomfortable.  "He's huntin' Viper... jest figgered I'd let ya know.  Dunno how much he's really here ta see me an' how much he's lookin' fer her... and, well Becca obviously..."

Steel pulled a loose strand of hair from his face, then signed to her ::I wouldn't say that name out loud.  Viper.::

Bella signed back, the ease of the language second nature to her now.  ::I don't think she's coming back for a while.  He's a pretty sound sleeper though.::  She paused a moment, then continued to sign, ::You may have to keep the kid from mentioning her.  If he says something it could get him in trouble.::

"Ah, him."  Steel shrugged and nodded.  "A curious fellow.  We'll see what he grows into.  Reminds me of Hardragh when he was young... with the difference that Hardragh was down every other woman's pants."

"This kid," Bella offered, "He keeps his scret closed up tight.  That ain' a bad thing.... but... anyways, Dan wants ta kinna come an' go as he pleases til he gets a new post.  He resigned the one in Fort Hold."

"The Arms is open to all, so Dan is free to come and go so long as he doesn't attack the Arms or my patrons," Steel informed her.

"Yeah... I know," she shrugged, still seeming a bit uncomfortable.  

"Right, well..." Steel began.

"Anyways," Bella interjected, "I reckon I should get back 'fore he starts wonderin' where the Pits I went..."

"I was just heading for sleep myself..."

"Sides... I don't think he's really here fer me anyhow," she said quietly.  "He picked the floor."

"His loss, eh?"

Bella shrugged.

"Night"

"Night... Bella."

"

Alatriel

« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2011, 12:50:04 am »
It was time.  Past time really.  Steel had given her a place to stay while she took care of what needed to be done, but neither of them had ever intended for the arrangement to be permanent.  Daniel had come and tried to repair the marriage that had long ago shattered, but he had failed.  He had gone again to fulfill his vows to the Gold.  He'd gone off to war, and she hadn't even kissed him goodbye when he left.  It pained her heart to watch him go, to know that she may never see him again, but the pain was swallowed by every other hurt to the point where it had simply been buried underneath and behind the purpose.

Becca would not be returned to the world.  She was content to stay in her world of fantasy where nothing could hurt her.  Her mother had known that there was no place for her among the adventurers and other folk that drifted in and out of the Leringard Arms.  It was for the best when she brought her to the Aeridinite home that vowed to care for her, and let her mother visit when she could.  She would be safer there than she would've been with her mother.

And now, the last tie that she had to her former self was no longer there as a safety net, as a comfort.  She knew that the decision to throw her out would have been as hard for Steel as it had been for her, but neither of them would say it.  It had to be done.  He had tried to get a piece of information out of her by threatening to take away something that he knew meant something to her.  But a Dread Blade has already lost everything.  Losing her home was merely filling in the blanks on the details of what had already happened.  One could say that it was because of Tobias Cole, but if it hadn't been him, it would've been something else.  

She rode up on the hilltop near Dalos Lake and thought back to a time so many years ago when she and the Prophet sat and discussed the beginnings of the path that she had now embraced in every way.  She didn't know then what exactly she had started when she first donned the mask and had taken up the apprenticeship as the Disciple of the Code.  She knew now.

Everything was now gone.  Her family, her love, her home.  There was nothing anyone could threaten.

So where does one go when they hit rock bottom?

There's only one way to go, really.

Alatriel

« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2011, 08:06:09 pm »
She sat down on the edge of her bed in her new room at the Silver Buckle and re-read the letter from Daniel.  This was supposed to be her new home.  It didn't feel like home.  It felt like just another building.  Just another part to play.  She could be the security for the inn.  She could help train the kid that the Songman had for security before her.  Daniel would want to come visit.  He'd want to try to patch up what couldn't be mended.  

He remembered their wedding with fondness, not regret.  When was the last time he'd said he loved her?

Swallowing hard, she crumpled the letter in her fist.  It was gone.  Whatever they had, it died with Rachel.  Maybe it died before then.

She stood up and went to the common room and threw the crumpled parchment into the flames and stood silently as it it burned.

Taking a deep breath she walked back to her room, making very little sound as she went.  She closed the door behind her and made her way to the bed.  She sat down, then curled up on the bed, boots and clothes still on.

The hurt in her chest was overwhelming, but the tears wouldn't come.  Steel was wrong.  She couldn't get back what she lost.  There was no going back.  She could only go forward.

Alatriel

« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2011, 04:34:32 pm »
Bella carefully and slowly walked Becca to her room at the Silver Buckle, her daughters eyes vacant as she moved along at her mother's gentle insistence.

Bella sat her on the bed and the moved to the wall to look at her daughter and the absent expression that her daughter always got when she was afraid, when she was pulled somewhere she didn't know or want to be.  She hit her head softly against the wall, closing her eyes in frustration and anger, then ran her hands through her hair and took a deep breath, letting it out slowly.

Softly she walked back across the room and knelt before her daughter and looked into her eyes.  Slowly and cautiously she moved her hands to either side of her daughter's face and smoothed her hair back in slow gentle strokes.

Becca's eyes continued to stare unfocused.

"Baby, if you can hear me in there," Bella asked softly, "blink once for me."

Nothing.

"Come on Becca... just one blink, you can do it."

Nothing.

"I know the trip was scary, and I know you didn' wanna go, but you're safe now.  Please, just blink once fer me."

Nothing.

Bella sighed and sat back on her heels.  "I'm sorry baby.  I'll let ya get some rest an' I'll try ta see iffn we got some oatmeal fer you ta eat."  

She helped her daughter lay down in bed, knowing that Becca was not even aware of her surroundings at that time.  She took another look at her daughter, then quietly left the room and shut the door behind her, looking for Michael.

Alatriel

« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2011, 10:27:28 pm »
Bella sat against the wall, her things finally packed again and ready to leave.  Becca had been washed and fed and taken to relieve herself and dressed again.  There still wasn't much response from her, but every now and then out of the corner of her eye she could feel Becca watching her as the tears fell unbidden down her cheeks.  She'd have to get over this.

Daniel's words continued to echo in her mind.  "Bella Poetr, I release you from your vows by virtue of infidelity.  I lay no claim to you in this world or beyond."

This was, by far, the worst thing she had ever done.  He would probably never forgive her, nor should he.  He would probably never understand that she'd done it for his own good.  Maybe no one would.  They'd never know.  Daniel would keep it quiet, but their marriage was over.  

She wondered in the depths of her heart if he knew that she had never been unfaithful to him.  She swore to herself that she never would either.  Divorce or not... she still believed that he was the only man she would ever love.  He didn't understand her, but she could at least save him from himself.

His last words to her began to sound in her mind over and over and over again.  "I pray this is what you truly want.... Viper."

And another voice began to echo in her mind, but this time the voice of another man, a man who had shown her the way down this path, but at every step of the way had tried to remind her why she started in the first place.  "What is it you want?"

And for the first time in a very very long time, Bella buried her face in her knees and wept silent tears for all that she'd lost.

Alatriel

« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2012, 09:35:45 am »
Viper sorts out gear on Steel's bed, her mask strewn amid the rest of everything, checking over blades and ropes and knives as well as a few provisions.

Steel enters, closing the door behind him. "Okay, just because I seldom sleep in my own bed doesn't mean it's become yours." He moves to sit at the table. "I'm pretty sure I have spare beds in this place."

As Viper hears the door open she picks up a knife and spins, ready to throw it, stopping only moments before she does as she realizes it's Steel.  Instead, she tosses the knife from one hand to the other, and then drops it on the bed.  "Yours is the only one that's supposed to be secure.  That could've been your head."

He grins.   "Still quicker than lightning, I see. I've news regarding the Tesak plan."

"I'm listening."  She doesn't look at him as she starts repacking her gear.

"They have more than one living Tesak prisoner. However, it looks like we'll be dealing with Siphe instead of the Toranites.  Which means we have to arrange a meeting with Siphe."

"Does it matter?"

"It only matters if Siphe proves to be difficult or untrustworthy."

"And you want me to go with you for this I take it."

"It would be better if you were part of the initial meeting and whatever deal is struck, so that the both of you can assess each other.  I will arrange the meeting, and do the talking, of course, but you may be called upon to demonstrate your skills."

"Siphe isn't a Tesak."  She looks up and turns, folding her arms.  "And, likely, I'll have to talk.  But sure, go ahead, do the talking.  I'm used to it by now anyways."

"You better be." He chuckles. "I have to admit, it this goes through, and you embark on this mission, it will give some meaning to all the time I spent teaching and training you. This kind of mission will push you to the edge of your ability, and then a little further.  All you'll have to get you through is what you believe, about yourself, about the world, about your purpose."

She raises an eyebrow.  "Are you getting sentimental on me Pops?"  She speaks with a level tone.  "All I ever have to get me through is what I believe and my skills that I have to support it.  This is no different."

"It is different. Because this time, your mask won't be physical. This time, you will not always speak through your sword. And this time, you will have to love, hate, and live with people you must constantly lie to.  You will be surrounded by people you crave to help, but instead you must watch, even perhaps increase, their suffering."

She watches him for a moment, her jaw tightening and relaxing a few times.  "I can do it."

"I know you can. I simply wish to impress upon you the difficulty you will face, that you might be better prepared. That you might know I understand." He swallows, licks his lips. His eyes betray a sadness very few have ever seen in Steel.

Her expression softens just a bit, something that rarely ever happens anymore.  "You're actually worried."  Her expression then changes immediately to one of frustration.  "Dangit, Steel, don't you dare do this to me."  She picks up a knife and holds it out at him, shaking it at him somewhat before slamming it into a small sheath on the side of her pack.  "Don't you dare start right before a mission like this.  That's the last thing I need is thinking you're going to fall apart.   Of all people..."  She lets out a curse.

He smiles, a tiny curve on the lips, a slight squint on the eyes. "Relax. I have full confidence in you."

"That's not what I mean," she grumbles.  "You're worried about me.  You can't do that.  It's too dangerous."

"You are the best I've ever trained, the one who understands Wicked's path better than any other. I'm not worried about you. I simply do not wish to see you suffer."

"You need to get past that," she says quietly, still not looking at him.

"Do not begrudge me my feelings simply because you are one of a handful that is allowed to see them," he responds quietly, watching her pack.

"I'm already dead, Steel.  You should know that better than anyone.  I don't begrudge your feelings, but... I can't afford to let them get in the way of things."  There is an edge of a restrained pain in her voice.

"Do not fear your emotions, Bella. The day you see me no longer feel the sting of loss, the lack of concern, the ache at being the cause of so much death, is the day you must destroy me."

Her hands still a moment, then she reaches for a length of rope and starts to coil it.  "You know I will.  There's a difference between feeling the sting of loss and expressing it.  Loss isn't a sting, it's a gaping sore.  If it's only a sting to you, you haven't lost much."

"Others are only allowed to see me as cold and calculating. I allowed you a deeper insight, because I believe in you. I know you have the will to call me to account, and I would trust your assessment."

"You want my assessment?"  She turns and faces him, her eyes showing a mix of anger and pain that likely only Steel would even recognize.  "You're going back on your own teachings now because you're afraid.  You can call it what you want, but there is no going back for me, only forward.  I've been dead a long time, and you should have had your grief past you already."

Steel straightens, studies her a moment. "I am not going back on my teachings. I never taught you to be cold. I taught you that for some, it is our path to be destroyers, that we might bear the burden so that others would not have the need to do so."

"I taught you that you must already assume everyone is lost, but never once did I suggest that such a thing is okay, acceptable, good, or without the consequence of agony."

"This isn't about being cold.  This is about a job that I have to do.  Not you, me.  And I can't have your pain on my conscience when I do it.  Not on top of everything else.  Not this time.  If I let that get to me, I've already failed.  Don't do that to me, you'll sabotage me before I even start."  Her voice, though now altered and scratchy and harsher than it ever was, still has an undertone of someone who has experienced all too much grief.  

With a voice softer than one might think possible for such a monster, "You no longer fear physical pain. You no longer fear death. This is the mission where you learn to no longer fear the heart's pain."

"That's what you're worried about?"

"Bella. This mission ends in one of two ways. Either you become ever more grief-stricken, bitter, cynical....."  He takes a breath. ".... or you become thankful for the pain."

She takes a deep breath and sits down on the bed and looks at him, her voice softening a little.  "Do you remember when we were working with the Doctor, just trying to balance what he did?  Do you remember all of the children that were slaughtered, and there wasn't even anything we could do about it?  I made the mistake of picking the lock to open the door for that thing that -I- released just because I wanted so badly to save those three children that they were threatening..."  She pauses a moment.  "I thought that maybe if I just did this one thing, maybe I could save the lives of those three, even if no one else."  Another pause.  "And because I cared too much I caused a lot more problems.  I caused the death of my own son before he was even born."  She swallows and looks straight ahead of her, not meeting his gaze.  "Every day I wish that I felt as calm as I look, that the pain I live with would just go away.  To be numb at this point would be a relief.  My only solace I have left is that the people I love are no longer in danger because of me.  Even if that means that they are beyond my reach forever.  The only exception I have of that is you, and you're supposed to know better."

"No." His voice now is strong, an even tone. "You did not cause the death of your son. You do not endanger those you care about. In your grief you have forgotten. Your son died because another killed him. Your daughter died because another killed her.  You are not the cause of your loss. You are one of the few willing to do the hard things, to make the hard choices, to try and stop such creatures from taking innocent life."

She sits quietly for a few moments.  "The only way I know of how to approach this is to have enough hate to keep me moving that the rest can be blocked out.  I know what I have to face.  I've heard enough tales now and have seen enough over there that I know that is only just the barest scratching of the surface.  Bella's dead, Steel.  I think I killed her when I left my husband for good.  The only person I have to fight for now is me, and the only way I can do that is by knowing that I have to make some sort of difference for the better.  If I have to be the bad guy to do it, then that's what I'll do.  But I need you to be my counter weight here, so that no matter what I have to do, you can turn it into something that can..."  She trails off for a moment.  "Save me some how..."

He pulls in a breath and releases it slowly. "We have given up saving ourselves so that others might be saved. Whether that will mean something in the end, I cannot say. But it is the path I have chosen; the only path for me."

"Then when that day comes, if it's the only thing left to do, do the only thing left there is to do and save me from myself.  I've spent some time learning what it is to become someone else.  I know I'm not going to like who I have to become in order to do this.  But if I can't get back from it, if I can't find a way to be me again after it, then I'll be the enemy.  I don't want to talk about it much because I know the risks.  You don't have to remind me.  I never forgot them."  She forces herself to get up again and packs in the last few items left on the bed, finding their place in her pack in an organized manner that leaves them easy to access and find.  

He nods.  "It's agreed, then. If we are not accountable to anyone else, we are accountable to each other."  He stands. "WEll, this is exciting! We're going to meet the famous general Jaedon Siphe! Once an enemy, now an ally."

She nods and packs up the final knife, leaving her pack a veritable arsenal of knives of various sorts that will be within easy reach.  "It's more than that, though, Steel.  And, I need a promise from you before I go."  She turns and looks at him seriously.

He looks back at her, silent.

"I need you to believe that I can come back from this.  Even if I get lost in it, even if I don't think I can come back from it.  I know that you're the only one who can keep me accountable, and the only one who can make that decision, but you're also the only person I know that can pull me back if I do really lose who I am to this mission.  I have no idea how long I'm going to be there, and I know I'm going to have to become 'them' more than I ever have before...  I know I've said to kill me if I become the enemy, but... well... before you do... just...  "She frowns and looks away from him as if almost ashamed of what she's asking for.  "Just... fight for me first before you kill me, okay?"

He lets a moment pass before speaking, his eyes pressed upon hers. "Never doubt my belief in you. I will never give up on you."

Alatriel

« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2012, 09:50:45 am »
Steel watches Viper beat down a training dummy in the basement of the Arms. He notes how her kata has changed and morphed from the things he taught her to fit the needs of her own style. "I swear, you're a little faster each time I watch you."

She stops and wipes some sweat off her brow.  "Well, I sorta have to be don't I?  Getting slower'll kill me."

"Nah. You just have to cheat more." He grins and shoots a small ray of frost at the dummy, the spell effect launching from his forefinger and leaving a tiny patch of ice on the canvas skin.

"I don't have that sort of cheat in me."  She puts her blades off to the side and grabs a towel to wipe the sweat off of her neck.  "Carrying too many things on me just weighs me down and gives people more they want to steal from me."

"You'll need all that speed and more inside Kuhl. And speaking of things, what do you plan to bring with you to Kuhl, if anything?"

"As a washed up soldier from there?  Not even sure I can bring my own blades.  If we can get them, we'll need whatever they issue.  So basically, it'll just be me."  She looks at him more fully.  "Why?"

"I didn't know if you'd try to keep some of your magically enhanced jewlery or something that might not actually be as easily lost in a ship wreck situation.  You'll need all the edge you can get... then again, once they find you they may confiscate everything anyway.  You'd hopefully get the stuff back once they decide to trust you, but you never know. May be safer, as you say, to leave everything behind."

Her shoulders slump a bit as she takes a deep breath.  "It's kind of a tough situation, ain't it?  I mean... yeah, I want all the help I can get, but if it ain't standard, it'll make me more suspicious, too."

"Spoils of war." He shrugs. "Have you come up with your story yet?  Where you're from, who recruited you, your job in Sadinia, etc.? Granted, I know so many of the details will have to be added based on what we learn from the prisoners, but a basic outline might be worth preparing."

"I thought we were waiting on something for that.  No?  I mean... I ken come up with something if I have to."  Her Vehl accent seems a bit more prevalent as of late, in spite of the years of learning to cover it.

"I trust your ability in that regard. Just curious how much thought you'd given to it already, if any."

"I've thought about it.  I just ain't come up with anything yet.  Been sort of jest trying to make sure I'm ready in every other way."

"They will use magic to dig into your mind and your past, very likely. Are you prepared for that?"

"How'm I supposed to be prepared for that?"

The subtle grin that accompanies hubris greets her. "Apparently there are still a few things I can teach you after all."

"So teach me."

"The easiest way is to have some other manner of magic that blocks attempts at divining your past, your person, or dominating your mind so that you tell someone everything they want to know. That, of course, requires a permanent spell cast on you or an item."

"A spell can be dispelled, an item removed, however, and worse, having such a wall around your mind may only serve to raise suspicion.  So you will have to best their magic the old fashioned way. With training and determination, only training of the mind, rather than the body.  We will have to prepare your mind to truly accept the story you fashion for yourself, to direct and guide those who look always to that story."

She folds her arms and leans up against a wall while listening.  "How?"

"The Drach Ori mages are powerful, and even I would struggle to keep them out of my head without help."

She smirks slightly.
"But you, you will have to defeat them by happily letting them inside."

The smirk fades with a blink.  "I'll what?"

"I have an added advantage even, in that magic that would normally affect a human or elf has no affect on me. Only the most powerful enchantments can even begin to touch my mind, and even then, I have fierce barriers and traps in place. Because you lack these defenses, and because you are supposed to belong to the Drach Tesak..."  He continues on before addressing her question.  "... You will need to let them inside."

"Then how do I keep what I am away from them?

"... the trick, then is guiding them to see what you want them to see, and convincing them they have seen everything they need to see."

"And you think you can show me how to do that?"

"First, you have to understand some of the basics of the mind, and how one might use magic to dig around in one's past."

Her body posture grows increasingly tense and defensive, even as she stands still leaning against the wall.

"Divination 'sees' that which is most available, most obvious, first. When it is used to ply someone's past or future, it picks up on your heart as it fits into the tides of time. I know, a vague and rather subjective way of explaining it, but divination has never been an exact science.  So, those things for which you have the strongest feelings- home, family, etc.- are what they will see first."
Her jaw clenches more.

"And in many ways, we will be unable to change what those things are... however, we can potentially change a few details so that the truth is, shall we say, wearing a new dress," he continues.  "We need to stick to your real past as much as possible, but deviate enough to fit the plan and still be believable."

"Yeah, but my memories are still my memories.  You're saying they'll see Becca..."

"I would suggest admitting you are originally from Vehl, the new twist being that you migrated to Kuhl sometime before the war. You have enough memories of exotic places and of Nesar and Kuhl I think to make that believable..."

She nods.  "Yeah, I know Kuhl from when I scouted it too... when I found the hole they had the Broken One in."

"... as for your children, your husband, you will have to tweak some aspect, such as looks, vocation, etc. the good thing is that those who live do not know where you are, and that's the truth."

"No, and the only one that would poke his nose 'round is Charlie, and I think Dan's pretty much poisoned him against me anyhow, so even that probably isn't much of a worry."

"And whatever you decide to change, you have to make yourself believe it with all of your heart. that's the hard part."

She sighs and slides down the wall to sit on the floor.  "You'd think if I could've forgotten it all or remembered it differently from what happened I would've done that already."

"The next hardest part will be creating new memories, new memories that are very strong, that show up without much trouble. The memories, in this case, of your time with the Tesak."

"I don't know how to do that.  Just make it up in my head and pretend it over and over and over again until I feel like I remember it?"

"Well, don't worry too much. Divination doesn't exactly allow one to read a person's mind. What it does do is confirm when someone speaks the truth, or show visions of the past and future, which aren't your memories, but as your heart has some effect on what visions are produced by the magic, your memories and your heart must be in sync, and when a question is asked of you, the magic must see it as the truth, even if it is a lie."

"Steel, you're just talking right now, you're not telling me how to do this."

"You have to understand how the magic works in order to know how to 'do it'."

"No I don't, I just need to know what to do.  I've never known how magic works and I do just fine.  I just need to know how to get around it."

"Yes, you do fine, but it's time that you do better than that. Learn, and learn all you can of the craft we call magic, even if you never cast a spell in your life. Understanding the fundamentals will save your life one day."

She sighs and looks up at the ceiling, head resting against the wall behind her.

"To answer your prior question, yes, some of what you will do is simply repeat a scenario in your mind over and over, down to very small details."

"So, I should keep the memories of my children.  And probably the memories of burying them."

"The other parts will involve practice, meaning having someone use the various magical techniques on you so you know what they feel like, what they look like.  If you know what it feels like to be dominated by magic, if you recognize the spells, you will be able ride out the magical effect, much like sailing with the wind instead of against it, and like a ship, you can steer the affect to give you a more favorable outcome."

"Joy," she says flatly.  "Remind me again... why am I doing this?"

"Why? That's not a question I can answer for you. Either this is your path, or it isn't."

She looks at him in the eyes.  "Am I going to be found out as soon as they capture me?  I told you, if I end up in one of those pens..." She trails off, not wanting to finish the sentence.

"Not if you go in prepared. And with skills like yours, I very much doubt that even if they're not absolutely positive of your story, they will want to waste those skills by farming you."

"Unless they don't give me a chance."

"Well, you won't let that happen, will you? You will need to be compliant to a point. When the time is right, make those who are testing you pay for it dearly. That in itself will garner your more trust by the brass of the Tesak than anything else, I wager.  The Tesak are the special agents, they are not so weak that they allow anyone to just roll them with magic at will."

She takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly.  "Alright.  That's what this fella in Belinara's supposed to be good for, right?  That sort of training?  To know where that point is?"

"You must become... " His eyes light up, burn even. " ... the best Tesak that ever lived. Better than Cyn Chen. Because the Tesak are infiltrators, assassins, highly skilled shadows. You will be the Tesak of the Tesak.  You are the infiltrator who infiltrates the infiltrators."

She favors him with a slight smile.  "Now you're just butterin' me up."

"It is the moment you have trained your whole life to reach. Whatever happens, do not be discouraged, do not give up. This must work. Molvaren must fall and Langovale must be restored."

"It's the moment you've trained your whole life to reach too, though, isn't it."

"That moment will come when I crush Molvaren under my heel."

"Alright, so... how do we get this thing to work with my memories then?  Don't give me the how magic works stuff... how do I make it work?"

"First, you'll need to make up new history for yourself, though sticking as close to the real history as possible, and then, as we already discussed, repeat the fiction until your heart believes it to be true. Second, you'll need to test yourself against the magic that will likely be used on you. That is it, in a nutshell."

"When do we start?"

Alatriel

« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2012, 07:33:23 pm »
She slipped back around the corner as the all too familiar face appeared in the distance.  She watched him walk down the road, favoring his knee still from the injuries he sustained in the war.  In spite of everything, in spite of all this time, she could still feel the familiar pain and longing blossom in her chest, threatening to cut off her air.  She stayed in the shadows and watched quietly as he talked with his colleagues.  He smiled easier these days.  He seemed to have moved on.

Do not fear your emotions, Bella, she heard Steel's voice in her head.

But she did fear them.  It was one of the few things she still had not conquered.  She couldn't find a way to fully let him go.  No matter how hard she tried, she still loved him.

Sara Bareilles - Breathe Again (Studio Version) + Lyrics - YouTube

Alatriel

« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2012, 12:40:18 am »
It was odd, being back here after so long.  Part of her felt at home, and part of her felt on edge as if waiting for an attack.  She sat quietly on Charlie's old bed, looking around the familiar, but sparse decorations and furniture that she and Daniel had picked out together so long ago.  Like stepping back in time almost.  She could still see the small eight year old boy curled up on the bed, and herself as she brushed his mussed and unruly brown hair away from his eyes as he made soft noises in his sleep.  Her heart ached at the memory and she shut her eyes tightly.  

"Do not fear your emotions, Bella," she whispered to herself over and over and over again.  She slid off of the bed to the floor and the old ropes that held up the mattress creaked softly in relief.  The old pain was still there.  The love, the loss.  The ghosts played over her mind more as she remembered her children laughing and playing, running through the halls.  Rachel's light blond hair flowing behind her in a braid that had come undone during their games, Charlie laughing and chasing after her, little Becca, toddling along behind, trying in vain to catch up.  There had been happy times here.

But there had been so many times that weren't.  She thought back about the arguments, the look of mistrust in Daniel's eyes as he made vague accusations and assumptions.  The lies she told to cover her own actions and behaviors, the half truths.  So many times she had told herself over and over and over again that it was simply for his own good.  It was to protect them all.

And then she remembered standing in the snow.  Alone.  The small helpless and lifeless form of the child that was too small to live.  Dead because she was reckless.  Dead because she had been cursed.  Dead because she had taken a risk to try stop an evil man from fulfilling an evil purpose.  Dead while she ran from those she cared about to try to keep the curse from harming them.

Her fingers had bled while she dug at the ground outside of Leringard.  She'd carried the body of her son with her from the frozen land and she had buried him herself.  She hadn't been alone because Daniel had abandoned her.  She'd been alone because she ran.

And the waking nightmare went on.  She remembered waiting at the house of Abiorn, waiting for Steel to return with the news.  It was as if she lived it again.  Rachel was dead.  Her first born, her eldest daughter.  Gone.  She had placed her in the ground with friends and family, but Daniel had been gone at war.  She should've been there to protect her.  Instead, she was with the one who unleashed the creatures that killed her child.

So many sins.  Where was the balance that they had always talked about?  Where was the good that she was supposed to be trying to achieve to balance so much darkness that she had done.

She stared at the far wall and let the pain consume her.  Her breathing was difficult, but she forced it in and out.  

"It's not your fault, Bella," Steel's voice came through once more.  

Yes, it was.  It would be until things were set back in balance.

She sat like that for hours, staring at the far wall.  Barely breathing, letting the memories come and go, good and bad.  

When the light peeked in from the door, she still sat on the floor with her knees under her chin, unsure if she had slept at all.

Alatriel

« Reply #109 on: October 03, 2012, 09:37:26 am »
"What was that all about, Viper?"

"Nothing."

"It better be nothing."

"Or what?"  She pulls off her helm.

"Or I'll send you in a box to North Point. Don't worry. I'll make sure there's enough food in the box."

She sets her jaw.  "I know he's saying the right answers, but that kid was supposed to have a better life than this.  He used to play with my kids when he was little."

"You know? This life isn't bad for those who were meant to live it. I'm not saying it's as happy as farming turnips with a pretty wife and fat babies, but you get to do things few others will ever even dream of doing."

"Defeats the purpose of doing what I do if those I want to keep from it follow me into it."

"No it doesn't. Because somebody has to replace you when you're gone."

Her jaw tightens again.  "So you're going to train him then."

"We'll start it up and see where he goes. I've had other pupils get much farther along than him but never finish. You're the only one that came out on the other side, so to speak.  Don't tell him things before it's time for him to know.  The revelation is as important as the choice to join the ranks of the Dread Blades."

She lets out a frustrated breath in resignation.  "It's been a long time."

"And so it has."

"I guess you'll need to replace me anyways," she says, conceding.  "Not like you need my permission to train him."

"Replace?"

A vague hand gesture.  "You know what I mean."

"We'll all need to be replaced.  You and me both.  Didn't you already say it?  Everything dies."

"What do you need me to do with the kid then?"

"Speaking of death..." he changes the subject.  "Why the Pits is my bed always messed up like someone's slept in it when I get back home?"

A shrug and a hint of a smile.  "No idea."  Her grin broadens.  "Could be worse you know.  Could be you didn't have a home.  Could be you had to just go from inn to inn and never have a place you could go back to where you actually belonged."

"If I walk in on you and one of my customers in my bed, I'm not going to ask questions. I'm just going to drag you and whoever it is out into the street and leave you there without your clothes on."

"One of your customers?"  She raises an eyebrow at him incredulously.  

"Or whoever it is you're doing to make my sheets that messed up!  Seriously, do you sleep upside down or something?"

A soft chuckle.  "Don't worry, no one else is in there with me.  I've sworn off men."

"Lily won't go in my room no matter how much I offer to pay her, so no one makes my bed unless I do it.  Maybe you should try sometime.  I could even show you how to do it."

Eye roll.  "I make your bed.  I lived with a Rofie for how long?  I know how to make a bed."

"Uh-huh. You must know when I'm about to come home then... some sort of sixth sense... so you remember not to make it when I show up."

"You just have a habit of coming back before I'm done using it is all."

"Yeah, about that, darn near stabbed you the other night before I realized who it was. Had to go sleep in the owners' room.  And that bust of Quin creeps me out."

"You didn't come near stabbing me.  I heard you come in.  I jest din' think jumping up and yelling 'BOO' was the smartest thing, so I was ready ta move iffn I had to.  Seriously, yer mad about me sleepin' in yer bed?" Relaxed, her old familiar native accent slides back in easily.  "...hold on.  Yer 'fraid offa statue?"

"No. But I have to complain about something. and you'd be afraid of it too if you woke up with it staring at you."

"Iffn I'm not afraid of a blue horned monster about to stab me, I think I can handle a piece of rock with a face."

"That's what they all say."  He shakes his head.

"Iffn you had a couch in your room mebbe I'd sleep there."

"Come on. I'm starving."

She sighs and pulls on her helm.  "There are days I'm ready to be rid of this dang thing."

"Yeah... they get stuffy after a while."

"Smelly..."

"Only after you've vomited in them a few times."

"Shut it."

Alatriel

She'd been sitting in the
« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2015, 08:06:42 pm »

She'd been sitting in the Harpy for a while.  After fighting with Steel, she needed to get away and clear her head.  Somehow she ended up back where she started.  Fort Vehl, the unwashed armpit of Mistone.

The argument kept replaying in her mind.  Why did it bother her so much anyways?  He had agreed to go a year without using magic in exchange for her learning to use scrolls.  It was a bargain struck to make both of them feel uncomfortable, but it was struck.  And when he stated that he would only not use magic in combat for a year rather than going completely with out, something had just snapped.  It was like every disappointment she'd in recent times all the way back until forever just all surfaced and no matter whether it was actually Steel's fault or not, he was going to pay for it.

Because he was the only one that could.

She was grateful for the mask as she sat toward the back of the inn, staring at the people milling around and contemplating the glass of whiskey she had ordered, but had not been willing to remove the mask in order to drink.  When emotions run high, masks are welcome.  She could appear outwardly calm and collected, the silent mercenary, even if her insides were twisted into knots of anger and anguish and regret.

A kid walked into the tavern.  He looked like he couldn't have been much more than fourteen at the very oldest.  A drunkard stumbled into him and yelled at him to get out of the way, but instead of running out, the boy just sidestepped out of the way to avoid his wrath.  The kid walked up to the bar and quietly put his money down and asked Wheezer for a drink.  Must not have been much for coins because Wheezer gave him the cheapest possible excuse for an ale as he could.

Now, what a fourteen year old in Vehl was doing drinking wasn't really all that much of a stretch.  She remembered seeing kids as young as eight getting sloshed off of something that the older and bigger kids in the gangs had given them just to laugh when they got sick.  But this one wasn't doing this as part of a gang.  He was out of his league.  That took something most people didn't have.  There were no backers here with this kid.  She watched him as he sat down in a corner, looking like he couldn't decide if he wanted to be seen or not.

She turned to look at him and made the gestures to warn him off of drinking the swill he had.  She stood and picked up her pack and the untouched glass of whiskey and moved over toward him, setting her own drink before her.  "You might as well drink horse urine if you drink that.  If you want a real drink, take this."  The words came out harsh an raspy.  Her voice had never been the same after the incident with the Kuhl border guard.  They'd taken more than just her boots and a life.  It used to be her choice if she wanted to speak or not.  Now it was a struggle.

She asked him why he was in a place like this.  He said he was looking for work.  His voice wasn't much louder than hers.  Maybe this was the balance she needed.  Maybe she didn't need Steel to give up his magic and reduce himself so that she felt more on even footing.  Maybe she just needed to pull someone else out of the same cesspool she grew up in and give them a chance and that would appease the balance.  Too many memories of her own had been coming back lately anyways of her days as Mouse.  This kid was another Mouse:  dirty and quiet and just trying to get by.  She told him that she might have work for him if he had the guts.  All he had to do was drink the whiskey in the glass she set down before him and she would give him enough money to get out of Fort Vehl and get set up for a new life. 

He hesitated and sat back like he was waiting for something else, or perhaps too scared to try.  Viper frowned behind her mask.  Maybe it was too much to ask after all.  Why would this kid trust that she hadn't poisoned him, even if she did tell him it wasn't poisoned?  She stood, preparing to leave.  The kid sat upright as if startled and almost looked panicked at a lost opportunity.  He took a gulp of the liquid and did his best not to choke on it.  He squeaked out a question if he needed to drink more or if that would do.  

Viper sat back down and pulled out a sack of a few hundred coins.  It would be enough to get him on a caravan and decent food.  She told the kid that if he wanted more work he would need to head north out of Co'rys to a place called Center.  There, he'd need to buy himself a weapon and some decently made leather armor to protect himself.  She told him to buy food for travel and put whatever left of the coin into a bank for safekeeping.  Viper recalled to herself how she used to hide her own treasures under the docks where she could only reach it when the tide was out.

The boy suddenly seemed eager and apprehensive all at once.  She told him to leave town as soon as the conversation was done and warned him not to tell anyone about the coins so that he wouldn't get mugged.  She told him where to find her.

As she left, she wondered if she'd ever see the kid again.  She waited and watched from a distance as he left and followed as he collected his belongings and then did as he was told, getting passage with a caravan heading north.

There was enough there to find  decent life somewhere if he decided to take the money and call it enough.  Even if she never saw the kid again, at least she'd done one thing worth while today.  Maybe there was a little balance to all of the death that followed her.

Alatriel

She hadn't been expecting to
« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2016, 01:37:14 pm »

She hadn't been expecting to walk down the hall and see what looked like a younger image of herself talking to Lily at the entrance to the tavern. She was supposed to be safe at the temple, away from all of the things that could threaten her. Away from her mother that could put her into danger simply by association. She quietly retreated back down the hallway and up to Steel's office, entering without bothering to knock. He was deep into paperwork, but he looked up at her entrance. Seeing the look on her face, his own expression shifted. “What's wrong?”

“Rebecca is downstairs,” she rasped out.

“So she found her way here after all, did she?” Steel mused. “So go see her.”

Viper shook her head. “I can't do this.” She turned and walked out of the office, hearing Steel's chair let out a soft squeak as he leaned back in it, watching her retreat. He'd deal with it. Her heart pounded and she could already feel her hands shaking. The all too familiar bloom of pain started to spread in her chest, causing her throat to constrict. She was having difficulty breathing just knowing that her last and only living biological child was so close. Part of her wanted to go downstairs and run to her, hold her in her arms, let all of the emotions out and never let go ever again. And with each breath of that one single thought, Viper's mind- Bella's mind- was overcome with panic, memories of the other children that she had lost, and the last time she held each of them before they were buried.

She had to get out of here. She kept telling herself it was for Rebecca's safety, but she couldn't help the pit in her stomach as she gathered the belongings she needed and locked her one crate in her room. Gathering everything up, she took one last look at her room to make sure nothing personal was left visible. She kept her room immaculate just in case it was ever needed for anything else. She didn't want anything to trace her to anyone else. She headed down the hall and started to lay out everything meticulously on Steel's bed to pack it into her traveling bag.

She closed her eyes, feeling a need to pull on the mask, to hide within the security that it provided. She slowed her breathing painstakingly to try to calm her heart and to stop her hands from shaking.

After a while, she heard the door to Steel's room open again as she shoved the assorted tools, potions, bandages, and other gear into her bag that she had laid out and organized on Steel's bed.

Steel stumbled into the room, closing the door behind him. “Good thing you like sleeping in my room. I sent her to sleep in yours.”

“It was only a matter of time,” she said softly. “I should have known.” She kept her voice level and even, trying to keep all possible emotion out of her words. “I'll be gone in an hour.”

“She killed to see you,” he softly scolded her. “At least go stand there awkwardly while she awkwardly tries to speak to her.” You owe her that much, the unspoken words still rang into Viper's mind as if he'd actually spoken them.

She shook her head, trying to clear away the thoughts of guilt and panic. “And tell her what? Why is she here anyway?”

“She came here looking for you,” he told her. “Someone, probably another family member, pointed her here to find you.”

Viper set her jaw and sighed. “Well, I'm not what she's looking for.” She could feel her throat trying to constrict again and she focused on the task in front of her to avoid the rest. “Is she staying, or is she going back to North Point?”

“She's not going back to North Point,” Steel's voice said still behind her. “How long she stays here? I don't know.”

Viper turned to look at him, hoping that his face wouldn't show the disappointment that she felt she could hear in his voice. Disappointment in her. She eyed him curiously, though. “Did she remember you?” She often wondered how much her daughter actually remembered from the time when she seemed so lost to them all, the time when they had lived here together, when Bella had tried to be a mother to her in the only way she knew how.

Steel just looked at her, watching her with the eyes of someone who knew her better than anyone, perhaps even better than she wanted to know herself. “She vaguely remembered me. More as a dream, an image, I think, than really having any true recollection of me. As much as we watched her with divination magic, it's possible she was sometimes semi-aware of us.” He gave her one of his all too familiar looks. “Magic bleeds like that sometimes.”

She shrugged and rolled her eyes. “Or she remembered you from when she was a child here at the Arms.” She bit back at him, “It doesn't always have to be magic.” She studied him a moment, then folded her arms. “You want to train her, don't you.” It wasn't a question, but a statement of her observation.

"She said her father recommended that you train her. How about that?"

She pursed her lips. “Dan and I have been trying to be friends again. Perhaps he just didn't realize the implications.” Thanks a lot, Dan, she thought to herself. He had always tried to get her to be a better mother to Rebecca, and Bella had always fallen short of his expectations. Now would be yet another example to add to a long list of other ways she'd failed her.

“Interesting.”

“Besides. I can't train her. I have enough to deal with with Whisper.”

“Whisper could use a sparring partner closer to her skill level,” Steel argued.

His skill level,” Viper corrected. “Nobody else needs to know that Whisper is actually a girl.”

Steel continued, “Rebecca had two short swords wrapped in her pack. She's heard stories about you from someone.” He continued, musing the possibilities, “Mm… besides, you won't have to worry about Whisper accidentally hurting Becca in training bouts.”

She turned her back to him again and took a deep breath. “Well, you know what they say about Reputation.”

Steel continued to stand still. “But I can say for sure, she is a Poetr,” he said quietly hinting at a new revelation from the night.

"How much in her is Poetr, and how much of her is me?"

“Hard to say,” he considered. “She has your build, and your squeaky voice. But she had no trouble binding to the stones, a notorious trait of the Poetr's. Then again, you're bound as well."

She let out a long breath and her shoulders dropped as a wash of emotion swelled over her. She'd never wanted this life for her. But if the binding was done, there was no way to undo it. It changed people. Binding to the stones set people apart for better or worse, and with it came not only the responsibility, but the need to do something with the new ability to cheat death. It wasn't a way to cheat pain. It rather invited more of it upon the stonebound than less. “So she needs to learn how to survive this life.”

Regardless, Bella had always wanted to protect her daughter. She wasn't good at protecting anyone, but she had wanted that, even if in her mind, that protection was to keep her as far away from her own mother as possible. But now, that protection might be something that Rebecca would have to learn for herself. “If she wasn't my daughter, what would you do?”

Steel kept his gaze on her, she could feel it. “Same thing I always do. Throw situations at her to see how she responds. Hint at the Path. In time, she either comes to me to train and learn of the Dread Blades, or she doesn't. The situations help her decide that for herself.” The same as I did with you, again the unspoken words were felt in her memory as if he'd actually said them aloud.

Viper straightened and set her jaw. “Then do it. If she's anything like her mother, it wouldn't matter if I forbade it. She's already proven part of that as it is. I tried to shield her and it failed. If she's here and she's bound, then I failed.” Daniel had tried to get her to do things differently, to do things the way that he'd wanted her to do, to try to make things work in a world where she simply didn't feel she fit. It never worked. If Rebecca was like her, it wouldn't work now either.

She took another calming breath, but it didn't do much to help. “Do what you have to.” She shoved the supplies into her pack. “I can't be around for it.” She felt her throat starting to clamp shut again and her voice was threatening to break on her. “Because if I see you hurt her, I'm going to kill you."

Steel's voice was disappointed. “Why are you leaving?”

She shouldered her pack and turned to face him. “Because I know my limits.”

His expression was hard, even though his eyes showed the understanding of the woman that had become his daughter in so many ways. “Just to avoid the off-chance she wants me to train her?”

Viper glared back at him. “Am I supposed to stand around and watch?”

“But you don't know your daughter,” he prodded again.

“No. I don't,” she snapped. “And it's best that she doesn't know me.”

“You're supposed to be involved,” he tried again. “I already told her gobs about you. She's itching to find out if what I said is true.”

“No.” She started toward the door before the rising lump in her throat threatened to silence her completely, or shut her down and make it impossible for her to retreat.

Steel stepped aside out of her way. “She will find you eventually, Mouse.”

The old name was spoken almost gently, but in a way that stung. It meant she was acting like the person she'd tried to leave behind so many years ago. It made her stop for a moment and breathe deeply again. “I know,” she said quietly. “But I'm not ready for that today.”

“Will you ever be ready?”

She turned so that her body was facing his, but she could not bring herself to meet his gaze. “I don't know.” She swallowed, trying desperately to call upon the mask that was so much deeper than just the physical helm she wore. “I've got a job on Belinara. You know how to reach me.”

Steel finally moved toward her. He continued walking until he made contact, Bella's face lightly bumping into his chest. He tilted his face down toward her. A few strands of hair escaped from his ponytail and dangled down in front of his face. Gently, but firmly, he raised his arms and wrapped them around her.

What should have been purely comfort to Bella simply made her ache. The tenderness she received from the man who was the closest thing to what a father should be to her wrapped her in a web of safety that opened the floodgates of the deep well of sadness, fear, loneliness and heartache that she kept hidden to all except him. She rested her forehead against him and let him hold her while she let the pain envelope her. She was still a mouse. In spite of all of her efforts for so long, she was still afraid. But she could not find the strength inside of her yet to fight her enemy this time. Today, she would need Steel to fight her enemy for her until she could battle it inside of her on her own.

They stood there for several moments, not speaking, in a way that no one else ever witnessed. Master and Apprentice, Father and Daughter, the unseen side of the Dread Blades. One day, Steel had said to her before, you will become grateful for the pain.

“Take care of her,” she whispered softly as she finally pulled away.

With the last of her remaining will, she tiptoed across the room to peek in the door to her room and see her daughter, now grown, now bound, and now entering a dangerous world without her, asleep on her bed. As the lump in her throat threatened her again, she closed the door softly and left, pulling on the familiar mask of Viper.

Alatriel

It had been a long time since
« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2016, 07:44:50 pm »

It had been a long time since Steel had started teaching her the basics of the dark elven language.  With the involvements that they'd had with various dark elves over the years, it made sense.  But even with her basic understanding of many words and phrases, her fluency to speak the language was still clumsy.  So when the dark elf, Nym'roos came with an apparent job offer, and he agreed to help her with her understanding of the language, it was a very beneficial exchange.  Of course, his way of teaching involved him looking down his nose at her pronunciations and nitpicking various words until she got it right, but at least, in theory, she would be able to speak passable dark elven by the time they were through.  And, thankfully, she could verify the meanings of the newer words he taught her with Steel to make sure she wasn't saying something completely wrong.

anything