The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Gor's Book of Sword Learnin'  (Read 51 times)

OldBugEye

• Followers of Shadon
    • Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
Gor's Book of Sword Learnin'
« on: July 27, 2006, 11:52:51 pm »
What's gone on before...

19 years ago, the forest giants of Dregar banded together to form an overly confident raiding party under the poor leadership of their chief. Their target was the small village of Orc's Watch on Dregar. Their continued attempts were ever thwarted but during the last wave of attack, they stole from the town, a brilliant young female sword master. It was her fate to suffer the ravages of giant pregnation and her ensuing death during child birth.

Gor was born into the land. The bastard son of just another lusting battle giant and a woman who's name was never known or would be now long forgotten. He was named for simply for the mess he made, struggling into this world.

Gor was no giant among giants. Bald and darkskined, Gor is definitely has not come to his full size as a giant. Maybe not as strong or as big as even other half-giants. Although certainly large, he had a wit about him. Maybe it was that bit of dazzle in his eye or maybe the way he moved, but he was different then all of the rest. The other giants would simply never understand.

Raised by his giant brethern, he grew up as giants did, fighting and bouldering and eating and such... but games such as that bored him. Maybe it was because he was a halfer but he knew the world was bigger than his next dinner on the side of a cliff. He knew he would one day leave this clan and seek out the world at large.

Yes, Gor had something between his ears even as half-giants went. He was no scholar but a man of tactics. When the larger, stronger giants would test him, it was not the toe-to-toe battle but the little ways he could evade his opponent, maybe throw off his balance or lead him in the direction he wanted. Oh, the twist and whip of a wrist. The angle of the elbow. The dip of a knew, twist of a hip, or drop a shoulder...a wink here, bend there, and the dance of the sword would begin. Oh what rapture to understand the battle blade, to be one with it and as it was whipped about it with frightening ease. Yes, his training and practicing with a sword and shield was a natural thing and something he thought he might get better at some day. Not the bashing method of a barbarian like his brethen.

When he had come of age, it was a natural thing to leave his clan. They could see it from the glint in his eye. A giants life was too dull to keep this halfer close to the clan. Besides, they all knew he didn't fit in. Small, smart, agile, ... not a giant among giants... but who could be a giant among men.

With no love of the giants who took his mother, and less for the humans who now spur him, he's alone. He goes on. The dark curious type, adventurous, and looking for the next foe to fall as he learns his sword. He will test himself against what the realms have to offer or crash to his demise.

OldBugEye

• Followers of Shadon
    • Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
RE: Gor's Book of Sword Learnin'
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 12:05:00 am »
I've been real busy since I've arrived.  All ready my skills have improved ten-fold.  I've bought a shabby copper sword, a big shield and some armor from a local vendor.  They will do as I learn my craft.

My sword arm has strengthened as I've learn to twist every so slightly when attacking.  It's helped me balance the weapon as I dodge my opponents blows that little bit better than I did before.  It helps but only the foe I fight... still can't see over my shoulder *laughs to himself*.  Been travelling with Elgon.  He claims he's not a sword master but he's far better than I.  He's saved me a few times as I'm simply to slow to fight against big foes.  He's helped a lot in my training.

Next, I'm also been working on my ability to move in battle.  It's it's been difficult with my size but I am more agile than I once was.  Especially in the armor, it weighs a ton for a big fella like me but it's been better.

The other giants, they wouldn't understand, but I've bought a few books to read.  My spelling and common has really come along, but I still have the giant accent that I can't seem to break.

Well, that's all for now.  I'll continue with my sword against all the goblins.  They are good practice!

OldBugEye

• Followers of Shadon
    • Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 11:48:07 pm »
Well, training has been excellent.  My book readin' is getting better all the time.  Soon I will be bright enough to pass the tests of a sword master.

Lately, I've been travelling with Jaleel. He is a good man and I've been watching his double-sword technique.  Although I prefer the defences of a good shield, there is something to learn there.  He has mastered the spinning attack and against all foes around him.  I shall need to learn that soon and shall continue to watch.  He is an apt fighter of some skill.  Not strong like I am but an apt student of the sword.

My writing skills improve with each book on weapon mastery I've read.

Gor.

OldBugEye

• Followers of Shadon
    • Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 12:48:01 am »
I have reached a new peak in my training and have at last finished to the two skills I need to move forward.

Travelling with Cymerian and Elgon, I've watched their fighting techniques and have adapted them to my own.  Even Cym's magical dog has taught me something.  I've been watching my steps in battle, careful to move quickly and predict my opponents actions.  Moving as fast as I can, I believe I can successfully defend against attacks that might normally have caught me unawares.  I think this alone saved me in the crypts with the undead.

My last skill was the most difficult and I must say watching Jaleel has helped a bit though not enough.  Simple training that I've repeated against kobold after skeleton after goblin, I've nearly perfected it.  I am nearly one with my big sword as I twirl in combat, striking foe after foe around me.  Fighting the spider of high forest with Elgon, this was the only thing that kept them at bay.

I have tested myself against ogre, giant, ettin, golem, gnolls, goblin and what have you.  Always, flawless victory.

I submit to the powers that I am soon ready to become Weapon Master of the Great Sword and take up that study at the soonest possible opportunity.

anything