The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Helper's desire  (Read 189 times)

Yar Ydnar

Helper's desire
« on: September 05, 2011, 02:35:45 pm »
How do they do that? I mean. I can see them and then I can't. It's not magic. There is no waving of the hands. No incantation. They just fade away and return to attack again and again. Those vile creatures knew not what was tormenting them so. Is it something I can learn? I'm good at hiding. Very good in fact yet I cannot just hide on a whim. I need space. I require unprying eyes. How do they do that!? I must find out. I must.

- excerpts from Helper's journal after witnessing two Shadowdancers battle Trolls in the Sinister Forrest -

Yar Ydnar

Re: Helper's desire
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 02:39:15 pm »
From Helper's diary.

I must get to know these persons who pass themselves as shadows. But how? They stay within their group. Rarely have I noticed them consorting with any others not their own. Is it a matter of trust? I must continue to observe from the shadows while keeping distance. If they have noticed me they have not indicated so. So I am inclined to think they have not. I must ... arrange a chance meeting. Befriend them. Travel with them. Learn from them.

Yar Ydnar

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 02:43:41 pm »
From Helper's diary.

Last eve I blundered in with a group in the home of the long legged ones and, as of lately, the Dark ones. Unspeakable actions by the Dark ones against captured Toranite warriors spurred us on to clean out the den of evil. It took fearless action by all and the odds at one point in the final battle seemed to have turned against us. But in the end we prevailed and rescued one tortured soul who steadfastly insisted we were illusions sent to inflict forlorn hope upon him. Some in our party finally talked sense to the man and we left ere the long legged death return. During this entire adventure I had the luck to act alongside someone who was able to blend with the shadows at will. I watched closely and I do believe I I've learned a thing or two. Well, some anyway. I asked her after we were safe from the caverns how it was she came by this ability. She smiled and told me that another in the party taught her well and with practice she honed her skills. Her skills are impressive indeed but I really think I've discovered a smattering of information from my observations last eve. Now I must put it to the test. It may take some time but I am determined. She said practice is key. That's what I shall do. Practice, Practice. Practice.

Yar Ydnar

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 09:01:52 pm »
I've been busy.  Yes I have.  And I know I am almost close to having it all the time.  Yesterday I was in the Goblin caverns and I would dispatch one and let the other chase me.  Then I would concentrate and slip away into the background.  Sometimes it works.  Some times not.  But when it does it's amazing.  To see that Gobs face when I turn to him and he knew I was just right there.  He's all bewildered.  He knows that death is near.  But just to get more practice I let him see me and the chase is on again. Again.  Sometimes it works.  Sometimes not.  Eventually he gets so discouraged he just leaves.  Such a good feeling when that happens.  I'm almost there.  I need to practice on something more than these slow minded Goblins. I think I'll try the Ogres by the river bridge.  More of them to see me.  More of them to fool.  Yes.  The Ogres next.

Yar Ydnar

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 02:25:54 pm »
I played with the Ogres at the bridge.  I've played there before but nothing like this.  Strike, blend, strike once more.  Poor oalfs never knew what was hitting them.  However, it wasn't fool proof.  There were times that I had to run and hide because of a failure to fool them all.  But no matter, once I struck again and reimmersed myself into the surroundings those few lost sight.  I feel I am ready to take the next step in this journey.  I'm prepared to assume the mantle of those they call "Shadow Dancers".  But first more practice.  I see more Ogres coming into the glade.

Yar Ydnar

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 03:03:23 am »
These Ogres are no longer a challenge.  But they do carry true.  Something I require to upgrade my blades.  I had my eyes on some of the adimantium making.  I hear that those hit more often and cut deeper.  But if I get them I will require them to be treated as well.  Ahh more true needed I guess these Ogres aren't so bad after all.  So back to hit and hide.  Then hit again.