The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: I, Uilliam  (Read 109 times)

AbnerMojo

• View Profile
    I, Uilliam
    « on: October 16, 2006, 04:57:25 am »
    “Getting my Adventuring Legs”

I have saved up a little money, enough to buy some starting off gear, and to cover expenses for a time. Like so many before me, I went to the center of town, and binded myself to the Celtic stone, I now feel that I have officially started my career.

And so far?

Well to be honest it has been a disaster. I came across a lady at the courthouse, and she pressed upon me a urgent need to retrieve some stolen tax records from a 'ratman' who dwells in the sewers. I took up her quest, believing that I would be in and out, quickly resolving the matter.

What a fool I am, I should have known better. I know from growing up here in Hlint, the sewers are a grave and dangerous place. I am not prepared to do this. Try as I might, I descend into the sewers, and am quickly overwhelmed by swarms of rats, hungry for my flesh. When I emerge again I am bitten head to toe and lucky to not have contracted a disease.

Still though, as I walked about town I saw some of the nice homes. And I know why I am doing this. One day I will buy one of these dwellings, so that my Mother and Father have a decent roof over their heads for a change.

I must keep trying, perhaps I am going about this the wrong way? I need to rethink this, I must also find help. After all, what is one person by themselves in this world. I need to find allies and travel companions, and soon.

Until then, I'll keep in mind what Mrs Yawnlots told me several times as I was growing up.

“The difference between a failure and a success is only someone who tried one more time.”

I should also note, I expressed my interest to a local guard about collecting a bounty of goblin ears. There is also a bard from the local inn, who I have agreed to help find her necklace in a nearby cave.

I hope I can rise to meet these challenges as well. I just hope my ancestors will watch over me, and give me guidance in the mean time.

-- Signed, Uilliam SeeksPeace.

AbnerMojo

• View Profile
      Re: I, Uilliam – Vol 1.
      « Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 05:23:39 pm »
      “A Letter Written Home.”

Written out on plain parchment, with charcoal pencil, the letter was sent by care of a fellow traveler back to Hlint, to the Halfling ghetto.

“Dearest Momma and Poppa,

I’m sorry I have not come around lately. But I have been hectically busy these last few weeks. I have seen so many things these last few days, from the frozen heights of Lor, to the rolling sand dunes of the Blood Desert. And I have met many interesting and knowledgeable people. Every day I have traveled across Mistone I have found some new wonder, and feel the richer for it in my soul.

I must however be honest, our world is far more violent then I had wished to accept in my youth. The loss of comrades and travel companions is an often enough occurrence. And there are monster it seems at every turn waiting to descend on the party unprepared to meet them. I have seen the horrors of Umber Hulks, Zombie Lords, and even Manticore during the course of my travels. But I’ll spare you further details, just know that I do my best to stay as safe as possible.

I shall be journeying home soon, by way of boat to Port Hampshire, then by land to Blackford Castle, to Fort Llast, and finally to my beloved Hlint. I hope I find you both in excellent spirits upon my return.

I also hope to soon have the funds to buy us a proper house. I work hard, and save a full two thirds of every True I get my hands on. I know you believe banks a scam Poppa, but to be honest they are quite handy to an adventurer like me.

Hope to see you soon, your loving son.

-Signed, Uilliam SeeksPeace.”

AbnerMojo

• View Profile
        Re: I, Uilliam – Vol 1.
        « Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 02:57:28 am »
        ~Depressed, miserable, and no longer caring really.~

Uilliam woke up in his apartment at the independent. A few empty bottles were on the bed with him. His mouth dry, and his head throbbed. Grumbling as he slipped out from under the covers, he went to sit up.

A good deal of bitterness was possessing him lately. He had worked hard to learn poison making, and had payed the price with bits of his soul when the spiders had brought him down. And despite his best efforts and practice, he was unable to do anything much with it. Even his trap making through his tinkering skills was at a stand still. Unable to collect the heavy amounts of ore he needed, on top of the failures when he did have it, everything was just seeming pointless now. As if he had wasted his life becoming a Wilderness Scout, learning the rogues discipline. After all, he had to crawl, and move slowly to hide and move quiet. But who had time for all that, when all you needed was some magic caster with an invisible spell handy. Just poof, and you were of running with your enemy none the wiser. Between that, the difficulty of making traps, and the complete waste of learning poisons, Uilliam didn't even feel like bothering to get out and doing anything anymore.

Even when he did, it didn't feel like he was learning anything new. All the fights seemed the same. And always there was the specter of loosing another strand on him. It was as his friend had once told him, 'Fighters fight, Casters cast, and Rogues get to be pummeled for their mistakes.' Which is exactly where he was now, being mauled on a regular basis as he tried to fill the roles of front line fighter, or part time archer, just doing whatever the groups he took up with needed. And it was getting him no where but to a early grave. Sometimes he even felt like not doing anything at all, just hiding in the shadows, looting the bodies of fallen enemies, and nothing more risky then that.

Finally hopping off the bed, he made his way over to the small washing bowl he kept on top of one of the trunks in his room. Splashing the near warm, and stale water on his face then looking down into his reflection on the water, he could see his eyes were as red as his hair after having drunken himself to sleep.

“I hate my life.”

It was all he could say to himself in a mumble as he went to go place his clothes on. Half staggering as he walked across the floor to where the pile of clothes was on the floor.

Today he was just going to finish up some deliveries for the package master in Krandor, then go to the library in the Arcane tower in Port Hampshire. There he would do some research on what he had heard of Twin Lions at the meeting he had attended. Right now, trying to help with that, and see if it actually went anywhere was about all that was keeping him going. Everything else was just constant disappointment at the moment....