The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Jennara Creekskipper  (Read 295 times)

Gulnyr

Jennara Creekskipper
« on: January 23, 2006, 02:28:58 pm »
... unfortunate.  It seems the sentence for Holas should have been much harsher, though the Citadel surely has information I do not.  Still, the greed of Holas led directly to the death of the dock shopkeeper, and he was not even slightly remorseful when we spoke to him in his cell.  That alone is enough to earn more than the short five-year sentence he received.  Maybe the Healer in Pranzis can tell me more about the trial.

I am saddened that any of this was necessary, though I am pleased that my letter did some good.  I hope to meet the new clergy in Velensk soon, and offer my services to help repair any damaged impressions caused by the corrupted former staff.  I hate to imagine what horrible rumors may be spreading because of this trouble...

Gulnyr

Jennara Creekskipper
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 01:26:41 pm »
... and it seems he has some deep problems.  It started out as scoffing against play.  He says play is a waste of time.  Play is, apparently, anything impractical.  There is no time, he says, for anything but the matter at hand, and that matter is the war against evil.  

I tried to explain that play is important.  People need to relax, and take their minds off their troubles for a while.  It relieves stress, and that's important to a healthy and useful mind and body.  Klaug said he uses prayer and meditation for that.  When he's not praying or meditating or sleeping, he's training or polishing or off somewhere trying to kill something.  If his prayers were enough, I don't think he would seem to have an iron rod from his nethers to his neck.  Maybe it could be enough, but he needs to unburden his heart first.

I think he may be afraid to relax.  With all the trouble from other Toranites in recent months, I think Klaug is trying harder than ever to be the upright, shining beacon of Toran.  Unfortunately, that makes him even more aloof.  I think he's out of touch with the average Layonaran.  I have heard the stories of paladins who were great leaders, but Klaug, I'm afraid, is not on that path.  A leader who cannot relate to his followers is no leader at all.  A paladin who is out of touch with the commonfolk does a disservice to his god; if they can't relate to the paladin, a living symbol of the god, then how can they relate to the god, or the god to them?  If he's trying to make up for the misdeeds of other paladins, he's trying far too hard, and he's only going to hurt the Church of Toran that much more.

The drunkard Kharl was mentioned at one point, and I suggested that wasn't much of a loss.  Klaug snapped.  He calmed down before he said anything informative, but it's obvious something from his past eats at him.  His stiff outward appearance could be partially due to whatever happened in the past.  Maybe he keeps himself focused on his duties so he doesn't have time to think about it.  Maybe that's worse now because of the Toranite troubles.  

I visited the temple in Fort Llast and examined their Codex.  I examined the Code of Navarre carefully, and didn't see anything at all about unceasing action or iron rods.  The Code does say there is no shame in retreat, but I'm not sure Klaug feels that way.  It also says all life is sacred, and killing is a last resort.  Klaug often seems eager to be on his way to kill something.  Something evil, surely, but still something alive.  

Klaug seems utterly bent on destroying evil, in fact.  Almost a fanatic.  That was one of his arguments against play - there is still evil, so there is no time to lose.  I told him there would always be evil, one way or another, and that he could slow down a little.  The evil will still be there later.  He was deep in the debate then (perhaps caught by fanaticism?), and I'm not sure he understood that to be a lighthearted jest, despite my smile.  Regardless of their intentions, fanatics are dangerous things.  I will have to watch him carefully.  

I don't believe he is hopeless.  I have seen him much more casual, but only for brief moments.  Maybe one day I can teach him to play.  I did show him how to make juice...

Gulnyr

Jennara Creekskipper
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 11:09:20 pm »
... three times.  Each time, I was a defender.  Twice, it was the decisions of others that found me among those holding the beachhead.  Once, it was of my own volition.  Was it destined that I always be among the stalwart and unyielding on those beaches?  Did the Lord Protector Himself have a hand in it?  Was it coincidence?  I don't know.  I do know I am a defender, a protector, a Knight of the Wyrm.  I was where I belonged, and my strengths were not wasted.  

Now, Roldem has been freed.  The enemy forces were defeated and routed.  Not through my actions, but through our actions.  All the pieces were important.  All the people were important.  It is two first steps in one.

It is the first step in rebuilding the Kingdom of Roldem.  It is said that everything is in ruin, and it would be hard to imagine it otherwise after an army of demons swept in.  Now that army has been driven away.  Driven where, I don't know.  Many escaped through magical portals.  If they went elsewhere on Layonara, we'll have to fight them again some day.  If they went back to the Abyss, so much the better.  One way or another, Roldem can be rebuilt.  I will find ways to help.

It is also the first step in turning around the morale of the majority of the fighting folk in this war.  The "retreat" of Xandrial was certainly good news, but that was accomplished by a small number of very skilled individuals in a place most people have never heard of and will never see.  The liberation of Roldem was aided by some of those same skilled individuals, but also involved many soldiers and sailors from Mistone, Dregar, and Roldem.  It was a victory by hundreds.  People are beginning to believe the war can be won, and that they can be a part of it.  They can make it happen.  We can make it happen...

Gulnyr

An Unexpected Letter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 01:32:46 pm »
... while I was deep in the Wildlands Forest.  The others were trying to decide which way they wanted to travel, so I took the time to read the letter.  I could not have imagined the contents any more than I could imagine receiving a letter from her.

It was an invitation to listen.  Not a general invitation, but one specifically directed at me.  We had barely met, and never had time for a conversation, so why approach me?  The letter gave a hint of the answer: we had fought together at Stone, and I did not follow the amulet blindly.  

At Stone, she and I were among the last few standing, and the only two still fighting from what I saw.  Perhaps she remembered the sling.  When the situation changed, my tactics changed, and I used my sling against the enemy mage rather than my fists.  It is difficult to make a slingstone hit as accurately as a punch, but the mage's defenses made close proximity very dangerous.  I did not blindly commit myself to the fist the way a Dwarf may blindly commit himself to the axe.

Most of those gathered around the amulet were as clueless as I, and when the amulet was taken toward the Shifter's tower, they followed right behind it.  Sheep in a flock.  But I saw that a few had gathered off to one side, and I am no sheep.  Some of these were the ones that had questions about the destiny of the amulet.  It was obvious that the great mass of sheep and their leaders had already made up their minds, so there was little to hear on that path.  There among the few was one I know can be trusted, so I stayed to hear what they had to say when the flock left.  

These seemingly trivial, ordinary actions have apparently spoken loudly of my nature, and she seized on them in the hope I would listen.

And listen I did, at the arranged meeting place.  I wish I could say my eyes were filled with the Sight and all became clear, but that isn't true.  Instead, it is as if I were born blind, and now have normal vision.  I can see a small part of what I did not even know existed.  I now know enough to know I don't know anything.  When she had finished, she asked if I had any questions.  Only too many.  But also too few.  Even though she told me a great deal, I feel as if I don't yet know quite enough to form good questions.  It would be like barely starting the corner of a jigsaw puzzle before trying to guess the full image.  It would do me good to sit and listen to her and others for a while, to gather more pieces of the puzzle so I can ask informed questions about the holes in my image.  Maybe there will be a chance soon...

Gulnyr

Nature Fanatics
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 08:51:20 pm »
... happened to pass through Vale.  There I met Cole Etinfall, the Druid Luna, and Jacchri the archer.  I think they are all part of the organization centered in Vale, the Vakhar.  I don't know very much about that group, except that they are concerned with the balance of nature.

Cole received a message while we were there.  I think it was an invitation to meet someone, who happened to be sitting near the temple of Katia.  The man almost left when we all came toward the center of Vale, saying Cole didn't follow instructions and come alone.  Cole chased after him, alone, but later asked us to join him on a trip, as he might need our help.  The Dwarf Garnet happened into town as we were preparing to travel, and Cole enlisted his help, as well.

Cole was not very clear on what we were doing, or even exactly where we were going.  I'm not certain he really knew himself.  He mentioned Drow and Dark Druids, and that they were preventing the harvesting of mahogany.  The man he spoke to wanted mahogany, it seems, and Cole had agreed, at the very least, to negotiate for some wood.  That is my understanding of his statements; Cole was very confusing, and probably very confused.

We traveled north until we could see a single mahogany tree in the distance.  Near it were several giants, which are the natives of the area, and several smaller people.  I think most were Elves, but it was hard to tell at that distance.  Several giants decided to attack once they noticed us standing across the valley.  I doubt I'll ever understand why giants behave that way.  We managed to hold off the giants, only to have a few other the others charge us.  They changed into animal forms, fully prepared for battle.  Cole yelled that we had come to talk, and they broke their charge only yards from us.  

One stayed to speak, while the others slowly drifted back toward the mahogany tree.  These were the Druids Cole had mentioned, the Dark Druids, though I didn't see any Drow.  The Dark Druids, from what I have heard, are fanatics, defending nature through any means necessary.  That defense may often involve proactive offensive actions.  Their actions seemed to support what I have heard.  They were on the attack and didn't seem interested in asking our business until Cole spoke up.  If not for that, I believe they would have tried to kill us, not caring why we had come to the mountains.

In the conversation that followed, the Druid said their purpose was to prevent the loss of all the mahogany in the area.  The word "extinction" was thrown around rather freely, as mahogany is not near extinction.  I happen to know of another forest where mahogany grows quite well, and the Druid claimed that her group had planted other trees elsewhere.  It is true that only a single mahogany tree still grew in that particular valley.  It is also true that an effort should be made to conserve the trees and prevent overharvesting, so that there will be mahogany for the future.  Attacking any who come within sight of the last tree in the valley is not the correct solution, though.  

Cole, Luna, and Jacchri decided they were generally in agreement with the Dark Druids, and would help to protect the tree.  I told them I could only allow that if no one was harmed without just cause.  If the protectors of the tree injure or kill anyone without just cause, I will bring them Justice.  I believe Cole will do his best, but I will check with him from time to time.  I don't trust those Druids...

Gulnyr

RE: Jennara Creekskipper
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 05:59:08 pm »
... and delivered Klaug's payment for the raffle ticket.

We had a brief conversation afterward.  Kobal asked from where I come, and looked uncomfortable when I mentioned the orphanage.  The expression was made clear when he told me of three Halfling girls he has taken into his care.  He said they were from north Dregar, and that they would be staying with the Dwarves in the restored clan home once it is rebuilt.  

Kobal honored me greatly when he asked if I would aid him with the girls as they grow.  He told me I could visit them in the clan hall whenever I like.  I will be very happy to help.  

Though I might be concerned for the young girls were they the wards of some other Dwarves, I know Kobal to be a very sensible person, and my experience with Berdin leaves me with a good feeling.  Kobal is a servant of the Lord Protector and will be a good influence on the girls.  I did warn him that the girls may cause some trouble, because Halfling humor is not always funny to Dwarves...

Gulnyr

Unasked Question
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 01:21:47 pm »
... without all the answers.  It was an overwhelming experience, so it is understandable, but unfortunate all the same.

I asked Plenarius and Triba why we had to bring the Silver Veign back.  They didn't have any answers, only guesses.  Triba said the Great Oak was poisoned and dying, but it seems that is no longer true.  Plenarius suggested that planting the Silver Veign near the Great Oak would strengthen the land, but he wasn't very sure of his answer.

I asked Rhizome, and he spoke with great certainty.  I don't think he understood the depth of my question, at least at first.  He said planting it would strengthen the roots of the Great Oak, and strengthen nature, and that would be good for everyone.  Certainly, strengthening the forces of life would be good for us all, but planting that strength means planting the destruction of everything, too.  Are things in such a poor state that we should take that risk without question?

Rhizome said we didn't need only the silver juice from the plant, but the plant itself.  At that, he recited the catechism:

The Descendant gives the Tools
The Heroes build the Vessel
The Vessel holds the Ridge
The Silver Veign flows down the Ridge
The Soul flows down the Silver Veign
The Soul touches the Bone of Blood
And with that all is done

It was a rather frustrating conversation at that point.  To me, this speaks of the weapon that is to be forged.  The Blade of Shadow, I think it's called.  There could be a deeper meaning to these lines, but it seems very straight-forward.  There is at least one gem or crystal which holds a soul for this purpose.  The T'oleflor also gave Rhizome a vial of the silver juice from the Silver Veign plant, though surely they are our ancestors and not our descendants.  Triba told someone else that we had pieces for a weapon, and there was some discussion regarding who would forge it and what form it would take.  Connor suggested that maybe it wasn't a weapon in the usual sense, and Triba said someone speculated that it could even be a person, though how the "Heroes" would "build" that "Vessel," and what "Tools" we would need from the "Descendants" (whoever they are) I have no idea.  That just sounds like a wild guess.

I asked Rhizome how he knew we needed the plant itself as well as its juice, and he said the T'oleflor told us so.  I am certain that I was told no such thing.  My conversation with Plenarius leads me to beleive that he was not told such, either.  Basically, the King of the T'oleflor said to plant it near the heart of the world, and no one bothered to ask why.  That includes me, of course, and I consider this a personal failure.  I will have to be more conscious of myself, and perhaps be more forward with questions if others cannot be trusted to ask.  

I can understand that Rhizome sees things through the eyes of who he is.  Thus, all things are seen in their relation to the Great Oak and nature in general.  We all see things through our own frameworks.  His final answer to why we had to bring the Silver Veign back was that the silver juice would not work within the weapon unless the plant itself were growing near the Great Oak.  I think this is pure speculation, but it is not impossible.  

I wonder if he heard what he expected to hear, or perhaps what he wanted to hear, rather than what was actually said.  Did his faith in nature get in the way of his observation, or does he really see deeper than anyone else?  Rhizome mentioned a possible return trip to the home of the T'oleflor when Acacea asked him about the key to the door in the tree.  If that journey is more than idle chatter, I would appreciate the chance to ask the King, "Why?"

Gulnyr

The Second Battle of Stone
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 03:12:33 pm »
... details of the fighting are irrelevant, though it seems proper to credit everyone for their efforts until the temple was excavated.  Once the Gnomes within were recovered, discipline and order broke down.  

It is possible there were cowards, those without faith in their gods, their companions, or themselves, who ran away to safety.  There were likely some who fled to avoid seeing any more, so horrible was the combat.  There were certainly those who felt the task was complete, that defeating the garrison and rescuing the Gnomes was enough.  I heard them yelling for a retreat before they ran back to the Belgaer Hills.  And, as always, there were many sheep, following along wherever they might be led and mimicking the actions of those near themselves.  When they had gone, we had well under half our original army.  At the time, I was not concerned with our numbers, but I think we may have been twelve or fifteen.  In the end, even the priest of Beryl lost his nerve, and the rest of us were forced to follow him in his retreat.

The original goal of the attack was to retake Stone.  At least, that's the way I understood it.  Our army, though, was highly mercenary, likely consisting mostly of those who wanted a chance to strike at our enemy.  That sort may make effective combatants from time to time, but they are certainly not good for garrisoning a town.  So we were able to win the town, but not to hold it.  That makes little difference in the end, for Stone was just as destroyed as it was the night it was taken by Blood's forces.  Then and now, there is no Stone, just a place where Stone once stood.

This campaign was a partial failure, I believe.  Saving the Gnomes trapped within the collapsed temple was certainly a wonderful thing.  Striking and destroying such a large portion of Milara's army on Rilara was also very good for our cause.  But I am certain the majority of our army was Dragon-called.  We are bound to the bindstones, and the Soul Mother is still weak.  I do all that I can to avoid death, and to help others avoid it as well, but this was a time when we should have been willing to die to show our resolve.  How many times have these same people tossed their lives away for some silly, trivial rock deep in a mine?  How many times have they sought out combat with giants, knowing they could be killed?  Rather than treating the power of the bindstones as a precious gift, they treat it as a given, knowing they will have another chance should they be killed.  Yet this time, when we could have presented a unified line against Milara's giants, and shown that we aren't afraid to fight and to die for what is right, we ran away...

Gulnyr

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 08:25:35 am »
... for the new courthouse.  With the Paladin of Toran, Michaelis Draego, I left two fine dire boar belts, a set of cobalt clothing, and two diamonds for jewelry.  I still need to set aside some time to make a set of adamantium clothing for the raffle.

Master Draego thanked me for my donations, and seemed genuinely moved by them.  Perhaps he was surprised that someone who is not a Paladin would so freely part with items of such value.  Though I had been holding the diamonds for Berdin, none of the donations were of any great value to me personally.  I can only wear so many belts or tunics or rings at one time, so it is better that the items go to others who can put them to good use.  I am no barker or merchant, and donating the items for the courthouse is equal to donating them to the Lord Protector at the Citadel, which is likely where any profits from selling them would have gone, anyway.  

Indeed, donating to the raffle for the courthouse is the best way to help the most people.  The raffle will raise funds for the construction, and the items will go to those who will make good use of them.

Gulnyr

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 02:33:18 pm »
... saddened each time I return.  It is difficult to see the Roldemians in such poor conditions.

Though I have previously left bread at the camps under cover of darkness, this time I was in Tibum during daylight.  I do not seek any special recognition for aiding the survivors, but I could not leave without offering what I had.  

I had packed extra food for the journey.  Going to Roldem involves giving to the hungry.  I carried twenty-one loaves of rye bread, two cherry pies, two blackberry pies, and a blueberry pie.  In the end, I gave it all to the people of Tibum, along with four bottles of milk and eleven bottles of pear juice.  Their joy was heartbreaking.

When they asked my name, I introduced myself as a Knight of the Wyrm.  They had never heard of the Knights, unfortunately.  I hope that I have left them with a good impression of the servants of the Lord Protector.  I told them they could send word to me in Pranzis should they have need of anything.  

There are so many people in such terrible conditions, it seems that I could never help enough no matter how hard I try.  At the docks, I spoke briefly with Master Plenarius, and asked if he ever felt the same.  He led me to the thought that helping them keep up hope may be enough.  If they have hope, they can do much to help themselves.  If I help them keep hope, then I have helped them to help themselves.

Gulnyr

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 04:41:07 pm »
... beginning to show.  The farmers have been more or less organized, as have the carpenters and masons.  Most people have some sort of employment, even if it is only as a general laborer.  As Tibum and Rodez are rebuilt, there will be new opportunities.

I am hopeful that the new farms and continued food donations will be enough to carry the people until the farms are once again fully fertile and lush.  The glowing quarterstaff experiment is only just beginning, so it is impossible to say if the extra light will be of any benefit.  If it proves effective, I can spread the word to other farms across Layonara.  

I am anxious to see the orphanage completed.  Everyone should have a home, but these children are the least capable and most vulnerable survivors.

Gulnyr

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 10:35:46 pm »
... all over again.  The plan to liberate Roldem ended with the attacks, and the plan to liberate Stone ended with the attack.  No one considered the aftermath.  Now, every enraged fanatic is jabbering about an attack on Pranzis, without giving thought to what would become of the city afterward, and all because of the recent notice of executions to be carried out soon.  In order to truly win the city, there must be a government in place to keep order, and there must be a garrison to secure the city from attacks and enforce laws.  The rabble of rabid sword-swingers thinks of neither, only of how much blood they can spill to improve the short-term while ruining the long-term.  

I debated the proper course of action with a Paladin of Toran.  I don't think he listened to what I was saying.  He seems to think finding a new government for the city is extremely simple, and that ousting the Dwarf is simply a matter of taking action to do so.  What truly disturbed me is that he seems to have only considered the plight of Pranzis after the notices of the upcoming executions were posted.  Where has he been since Pranzis was taken?  Was the new law in Pranzis only unjust after these individuals were named traitors and murderers?  

I am unhappy that the Dwarf rules my home city, and I wish it were not so.  I am concerned the Citadel may no longer truly be a temple of the Lord Protector, nor the people within His followers, and I worry for His orphanage where I grew up.  I cannot, though, support any thoughtless assault on the city.  I will not be responsible for more suffering like in Roldem.  I do not want to see my friends executed, but I am afraid trying to stop this injustice could lead to more and greater injustices.  It rends my soul.

Gulnyr

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 12:15:07 am »
... aren't working.  I think the light may simply not be bright enough.  The light from a crate full of glowing staves can be uncomfortable sometimes, but it is not anywhere near as bright as the Sun.  But the farms, overall, are not doing any worse than farms anywhere else on Layonara, though that isn't very well.  Some are doing rather well, though, and will likely have a very good harvest considering the conditions.  

The orphanage is overcrowded.  There are far more children there than I imagined, but they are well-supplied and the conditions are not too bad.  Instruction is going well, and I hope this orphanage can raise productive citizens just like the orphanage where I grew up.  

There seem to be several seperate governments forming.  It is understandable, given the population spread so thinly across the islands.  It is difficult to say exactly what form these governments will take, as these are still the early days.  So far, there have been very few problems, so I am hopeful that the citizens will make wise decisions and just governments will reign.  I have offered to assist any of the young governments in any way I am able, and I do my best to discuss any major undertakings with them.

I recently met with Sir Michaelis in Rodez, where we discussed the reconstruction.  He volunteered to help find more trainers for the militia.  That is, unfortunately, the one area where I cannot help very much.  I do not know anything about the proper use of weapons or armor.  Sir Michaelis also mentioned the possible construction of a large Temple of Toran in Rodez, and I informed him that I had already asked followers of the Lord Protector to donate funds for a Temple there.  We agreed to work together, each Church helping the other in these troubled times.  Hopefully, Rodez will soon have two new Temples where now it has none.  I must also be sure to find more help for the Temple of Aragen in Tibum, and for the Temple of Shindaleria in what is left of Silden.

Gulnyr

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 08:48:41 am »
... seems more and more that the Church is lost.  Still nothing from Pranzis, and Reus charged me to take a very odd message to the followers of the Lord Protector.  It involved the bright seed, which I believe is another of the set of four which we have been seeking to repair the damage Selian has done to the Broken Forest.

Reus said the servants of the Lord Protector should be at the forefront of any search, and that the demons seeking it should not be allowed to succeed.  But he added that the seed should be brought to the Temple in Velensk, and that an object so potentially useful to the growth of the power of law could not be trusted to the Druids.  

I agreed to pass his message to others, but the words do not sit well with me at all.  One of the major trade and travel routes between northern and southern Mistone lies along and through the Broken Forest.  Would not a safer forest be an improvement in order for the good of all the citizens of Mistone?  Is any gain from the seed worth the damage to the Church's reputation should the Temple take the seed for itself?  How can we be trusted to be fair and just when we hoard treasures for our own purposes like selfish children?

If there is to be an increase in lawfulness and order, it is for us to show others the benefits of such a path through our actions, not force order upon them.  The ends do not justify the means; we cannot betray our friends and steal the seed from the group then claim victory for law and order afterward.

I remember when Reus arrived to replace Holas.  He came from Pranzis, and he may still have strong ties there, loyal to whatever has become of the Citadel under the Dwarf's rule.  It is more and more difficult to trust any member of the Church.

Gulnyr

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 10:09:49 am »
... accused of violating Edict 33.  Adding to my suspicions about the fall of the Church, I was given absolutely no information on the specific accusation nor the accuser.  Reus actually seemed irritated that I would have such simple questions, and hurriedly excused himself, saying that recovery of the Summer Seed would be the quickest and best way to clear up any misunderstanding.  Where is the just and fair treatment proscribed by the law?

Gulnyr

Re: Jennara Creekskipper
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2007, 11:01:19 pm »
... broke in Hlint, and it is taking time to fit a replacement.  No one has mentioned any more dreams of that strange nature, nor any other problems, so this pause in the journey has been rather quiet.  The bad crystal is still safely stowed, though, and Emwonk is still upset about it, so I cannot claim to have had a perfect visit.

While the stop is involuntary, it is not entirely unwelcome.  I have many friends in Hlint.  They and others need help.  My first stop was the home of the Brendels, to visit Lilly and Daisy and their parents, Cori and Jesse.  I helped in their fields the remainder of the day, and spoke to some other farmers the next day.  I am hopeful that they will look favorably on the homeless in Hlint should they need any assistance.  

After speaking to and helping the farmers as I was able, I visited my friends among the homeless.  I was not sure they would accept me, especially considering that I am, to them, an adventurer, and that I left as they slept last time we met.  They were not, overall, too upset, I think.  The MacDoughals were the most understanding, and I believe their acceptance helped persuade many of the others.  There will always be those who refuse to forgive anyone who might be even remotely responsible for the extra hardships of life, and 'adventurers' are easy to blame for many things, especially the sky and the failing crops.

After some pleasant conversation, and dancing with Cal, I let those who would listen know that they may be able to find occasional work and shelter with the farmers, and I asked them to spread the word to those who didn't want to listen.  Maybe by helping the farmers, they will have more hope, and feel more useful, boosting their confidence and pride.  And maybe there will be a few more who make it through the dark times because they work together for the benefit of all.

Yesterday, I was happy to see Dal Brinner and his daughter Missy helping in the Brendal fields.  I helped in the Corniss fields, and I think I saw 'Shifty' there, but he kept his distance and I didn't want to approach him and upset him, so I am not sure.

Gulnyr

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2007, 10:39:31 pm »
... to visit the orphans.  I am ashamed and saddened that I have been too busy with other things to see them more often.  I will not allow that to happen again.

I was reminded of the children during a conversation in Port Hempstead.  The Lord Protector's servant Caighd spoke of time with his family, as did two others who joined us later.  There were many things mentioned I was never able to experience with my mother, like braiding each other's hair, or hearing her wisdom, or just spending time together.  

It is a terrible feeling, and it hurts all the time.  I don't want the children to feel it their whole lives.  I will visit regularly, and we will do the things we did this visit, and many more.  We will braid each other's hair, and tell stories, and sing songs, and skip rocks across the water, and look for familiar shapes in the clouds of the sunny skies.  And we will do things together, like a family.

Gulnyr

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2007, 09:29:22 pm »
... traveling merchant outside Port Hempstead.  She had many and various wares.  There was a well made cloak with a sturdy weave of very fine fibers, and I felt it could be useful in times of trouble, but she asked a very high price.  Had I millions of True, I would not feel so guilty buying things for myself rather than using the coins for the benefit of others; I could do both.  But I do not have such wealth, and I could not buy the cloak for the price she asked.

I was going to leave, but I decided to ask if there were any dolls or building blocks or other toys.  She had six rag dolls and a box of other toys in good condition.  For the price she had named, I asked for the cloak and all the toys.  Though I am a fair seamstress, it takes time to make dolls, time I would gladly spend were there not so much to be done.  Though I still feel that I may have spent too much, and feel rather guilty at having used the coins mostly for myself, I know that I have done so in the hopes of being better able to protect others, and to bring some happiness to children.

Gulnyr

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 10:24:04 am »
... in Krandor died, and I can only hope that is the end of the troubles.  

Unfortunately, those who wish to help often forget to look beyond themselves, or do not care for others in the first place.  I asked Caighd to tell the others to leave town to experiment with the robed man's artifact, but I was too late.  Some of those trying to eliminate the artifact chose to do so within the city, without thought for the consequences, and a black smoke rose into the air.  

Now, I can only hope that the black smoke from the artifact will not cause trouble for the citizens of Krandor, nor anyone else.

Gulnyr

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2007, 11:25:21 am »
... with Acacea, listening to stories.  An otter approached, and laid down nearby to enjoy a fish.  Not long after, another otter joined the first and started eating some of the fish.  So that they would have enough, I caught another fish for them, which attracted more otters.  So I caught one more fish.  The five otters ate and then took naps in the warm sunlight between the rain showers.

Suddenly, an eagle swooped down and flew away with one of the otters.  I was going to stand guard over the other four so they could finish their naps, but Acacea yelled at them to return to the water.  That was probably best, but it is unpleasant to be awakened from a good after-meal nap.  

Nature is a good teacher, and this was a reminder of a lesson I have known a long time: when you do something nice for someone, you are not necessarily doing something good for them.  This is why I only offered hope and some supplies to the people of Rohden.  By rebuilding their homes and cities themselves, they were not weakened but empowered.  If the work had been done for them, would they be as strong or independent?

anything