The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Jennara Creekskipper  (Read 294 times)

Gulnyr

Re: Jennara Creekskipper
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 07:05:08 pm »
... full of werewolves.  Though a few of our group hoped to save some, the more violent, selfish, and thoughtless of the group forced their views.  I am not certain anything could have been done to save the afflicted, but it still says much about those who held the violent position.

When all was done, and the younger Ben had recovered, Acacea and I visited Joseph, Sherry, and Tanna.  Joseph was recovering well.  We helped with some chores through the day, and in the evening I helped prepare a meal of roast chicken with mashed potatoes, giblet gravy, field peas, and corn while Acacea told stories.  We slept by the hearth and enjoyed an early breakfast, though Acacea was not happy to be awake so early.

We said our goodbyes after breakfast and returned to the hole.  The journey was pleasant, but our task within was not.  We spent several sad days in an effort to properly bury the dead within.  Acacea had a habit of creating a hole in each grave.  I think they may have been air holes, but I did not ask.  We did not talk much while we worked, and didn't eat much when we climbed out to sleep under the stars.  

I will be sure to bake a pie specially for Acacea for her help.

Gulnyr

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2007, 11:50:04 am »
... of nature do not seem to act of nature, which makes me wonder if they are as close as they claim to be.

When a group of adventurers sets out with a task in mind, a mission to complete, are they not as a pack of wolves on the hunt?  Certainly, they are not as majestic and likely have motives beyond the understanding of a wolf, but they are a single unit with a common goal.  It may be that others seem too far from nature for those close to see the similarities, but that is no excuse to throw away nature's lessons.

The wolf pack works well because there is organization.  The pack has a leader, and the other wolves follow.  Each wolf understands its place and its duty, and they coordinate their efforts.  Perhaps there are wolves who do not care for the leader, as challenges may arise, but even these discontented wolves know that it is best to be of the pack than alone in the wilderness.  Though there may be squabbles among them, the pack cares for its own.

These are lessons that adventurers should learn, and it seems that those of nature should be at the fore to teach these natural truths.  A group with a leader will fare better than a mob of people traveling the same direction.  Knowing one's task and value in the group, and the value of the others, will make tasks easier, because coordinated efforts are more efficient.  The members of the group should take care of each other, and stay close for support and mutual protection.  

There are, unfortunately, some people who, unlike wolves, will start disputes for the sake of an argument and not for any greater purpose.  These are the people who do not know the value of companions.  In nature, among the wolves, the order and efficiency of the pack is very important, and a continually troublesome and disruptive wolf will not be allowed to remain with the pack.  This is a lesson of nature, that the balance is maintained through order, for a lone wolf is far less likely to survive than a wolf who belongs to a pack.  Thus, the orderly wolves live on and breed more often, making order the norm.

Those of nature would be wise to remember the lessons of the wolves, and teach these lessons to those with whom they travel.

Gulnyr

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2007, 02:40:09 pm »
... and again I question the truth of their connection with nature.  The rumors say that Johan was killed by a Druid as some sort of revenge, as a punishment long in coming.  Revenge is only natural to people.  The salmon do not rise up to slay the eagle for taking one of their number each day.  The deer do not amass to avenge themselves upon the wolves for the loss of a fawn.  Nature is much broader and not so petty.

I had also thought those of nature would understand that all things are interconnected, all things are systems of cause and effect.  Civilization may not be as close to nature as they would like, but it has a nature of its own, a nature generally much simpler and easier to understand than that of the wild.  People act because there is a benefit, something to gain.  Johan was not the first and only furrier, and he will not be the last.  He was but one of many, and he could only have been a furrier because there was a demand for his services.  If there were not others who would buy furs and leathers, there would be no market, and there would be no hunters and tanners.  Murdering one man saves nothing, protects nothing, and demonstrates only that those involved in his death are short-sighted.  If there is a buyer for a golden bear fur, another will take up the hunt, and another, and another.  Murdering one furrier will protect the wilds as well as plucking one leaf will kill a mighty oak.  Certainly there are better methods that will actually protect such rare and wonderful creatures as a golden-furred bear.

Such little minds, so different than the vastness of nature, so similar to the darkness in the cities...