The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Jetta Ravenlock - Written Journal  (Read 523 times)

Nehetsrev

Jetta Ravenlock - Written Journal
« on: June 09, 2010, 01:31:01 pm »

The following users thanked this post: gilshem ironstone

Nehetsrev

Re: Jetta Ravenlock - Written Journal
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 10:59:31 pm »
The first page of the journal seems to contain the letters of the alphabet aranged into five rows all in capitals and the name Jetta, as well as another note differentiating vowels from consonents. Stuffed inside the cover of the journal is also another copy of the alphabet in someone else's handwriting.*

A B C D E
 F G H I J
 K L M N O
 P Q R S T
 U V W X Y Z

JETTA

A E I O U - VOWELS
 B D F G H J K L M N P Q R S T V W X Y Z - CONSONENTS

I M SMRTR DN DM!

Nehetsrev

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 09:35:01 am »
*A few more pages had been written on with repeated practices of lettering.  The latest include the addition of a page with both upper-case and lower-case lettering written in another's hand in an itallic script stuck into the book where the prior practice pages left off where previously only upper-case lettering had been used.*

Quote from: Extra Page Tucked Into The Journal
A a   B b   C c   D d   E e   F f   G g   H h   I i
 J j   K k   L l   M m   N n   O o   P p   Q q   R r
 S s   T t   U u   V v   W w   X x   Y y   Z z

ROOK
 jetta rook

F A N
 A P P L E

RAVNLOK
 Ravenlock

ANDRU TEECHS BETTER TEN JEL
 ANDREW

*The table of upper and lower-case letters is re-copied into the journal as practices continue on following pages*

A a   B b   C c  D d   E e   F f   G g   H h   I i
 J j   K k   L l   M m   N n   O o   P p   Q q   R r
 S s   T t   U u   V v   W w   X x   Y y   Z z

I EM LERNING TOO RITE END REED EEVEN MOR TANCS TOO ANDREW
 MABEE SOON I WIL BEE ABEL TOO REED A HOL BOOCK ON MI OAN
 I CANT WAT FOR MI NEKTS LESAN
 I HOP I EM RITEING THEES RITE BUT ANDREW WIL SHO ME IF I GOT TEM RONG WEN HE TEECHS ME AGAN
 ANDREW SAS I DONT HAV TOO WOREE ABOT LOWRCAS LETRS YET IF I DONT WONT TOO SO I EM JUST USING UPRCAS WONS TOO START WIT

JETTA DANSAS WIT HIR FAN
 ANDREW LIKS SEEING JETTA DANS WIT HIR FAN
 ANDREW CISAS JETTAS HAND
 JETTA TINKS ANDREWS LIPS LOOC SILY WIT INC ON TEM
 JETTA HAS INC ON HIR DRES
 JETTA NEEDS A NU DRES OR TOO OR TREE OR FOR
 JETTA NEEDS LOTS OF FANSEE NU DRES S

Nehetsrev

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 01:36:00 pm »
*Another book found within the same box with Jetta's own writing journal and writing supplies is added some days after her previous lesson.  This new book appears to be a primer of sorts.*

Quote from: Reading & Writing Primer by Andrew Reid
Dedication:  To Rook, who will someday smile when she reads this and know how far she's come.

Andrew

The book is an illustrated primer. Each letter is there, in upper and lower case block and also upper and lower case script. Each letter's sound is represented in a few pictures and the word spelled underneath in block upper case, block upper and lower case, and upper-lower script so Jetta can see all the ways a word can look. The words are carefully stacked so the letters align top to bottom;

APPLE
Apple
Apple

The pictures themselves are small and simple, sketched and charcoaled in a few colors; the author clearly doesn't rely on this medium for expression although there is some talent there.

Further into the book are a list of vowels.

A
E
I
O
U
Y

After that, combination sounds and spelling rules, all in upper case block letters, and a number of words with different variations of E and Y on the end.

TH
CK
TION
SE
CE
OU
ING
ED
ER

The end of the journal has notes on paragraphs and punctuation: how to use a period, comma, colon, semi-colon, quote, and dash; when to capitalize a word or sentence. This is written in his italic script.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 03:06:16 pm »
*More pages have been written on in the course of various practice sessions. Also, some corrections to some of the earlier sentances are written in as well, below the original sentances.*

Quote from: Previous Page With Corrections Added
ROOK
jetta rook

F A N
A P P L E

RAVNLOK
Ravenlock

ANDRU TEECHS BETTER TEN JEL
ANDREW

*The table of upper and lower-case letters is re-copied into the journal as practices continue on following pages*

A a B b C c D d E e F f G g H h I i
J j K k L l M m N n O o P p Q q R r
S s T t U u V v W w X x Y y Z z

I EM LERNING TOO RITE END REED EEVEN MOR TANCS TOO ANDREW
I am learning to write and read even more thanks to Andrew   (<--Red text indicates writing in Andrews hand)

MABEE SOON I WIL BEE ABEL TOO REED A HOL BOOCK ON MI OAN
 MABEE SOON I WIL BE ABEL TO READ A HOLE BOOCK ON MY OAN?   (<--Green text indicates Jetta's own attempts at corrections)

I CANT WAT FOR MI NEKTS LESAN
I CAN'T WATE FOR MY NEKTS LESSEN.

I HOP I EM RITEING THEES RITE BUT ANDREW WIL SHO ME IF I GOT TEM RONG WEN HE TEECHS ME AGAN
 I HOPE I AM WRITING THEESE RITE BUT ANDREW WIL SHO ME IF I GOT THEM RONG WHEN HE TEECHES ME AGAN.

ANDREW SAS I DONT HAV TOO WOREE ABOT LOWRCAS LETRS YET IF I DONT WONT TOO SO I EM JUST USING UPRCAS WONS TOO START WIT
ANDREW SAYS I DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT LOWERCAES LETTERS YET IF I DON'T WANT TO.  SO I AM JUST USING UPPERCAES ONES TO START WITH.

JETTA DANSAS WIT HIR FAN
 JETTA DANSES WITH HER FAN.

ANDREW LIKS SEEING JETTA DANS WIT HIR FAN
 ANDREW LIKES SEEING JETTA DANS WITH HER FAN.

ANDREW CISAS JETTAS HAND
 ANDREW KISSES JETTA'S HAND.

JETTA TINKS ANDREWS LIPS LOOC SILY WIT INC ON TEM
JETTA THINKS ANDREW'S LIPS LOOCK SILLY WITH INC ON THEM.

JETTA HAS INC ON HIR DRES
JETTA HAS INC ON HER DRES.

JETTA NEEDS A NU DRES OR TOO OR TREE OR FOR
 JETTA NEEDS A NEW DRES OR TWO OR THREE OR FOUR.

JETTA NEEDS LOTS OF FANSEE NU DRES S
 JETTA NEEDS LOTS OF FANSY NU DRESS'S.

*The practice pages continue...*

TO - going to, been to, I'd like to.
 TOO - also, very, excessivly - I ate too much.  I was there
 too.
 TWO - 2

ONE   TWO   THREE   FOUR   FIVE   SIX   SEVEN   EIGHT   NINE   TEN
 1        2          3            4           5        6       7            8            9         10

the kwick broun bard jumpt over the lazy prants gard.
 The quick brown bard jumped over the lazy Prantz guard.

Note - "ed" lives in the past (Poor "Ed", he should reely loock to the futur! :)  )

guard / gradual

guard your hart or I might steel it.

hart - a deer
 heart
 (a drawing of a small heart underneath the word "heart".)

STEEL - is a metal, very hard to make and very hard to break.
 STEAL - is to take from someone.

*following is a list of some common verbs conjugated for past, pressent, and future tense, written into the margins in Andrew's hand.*

to awake - has awoken - will awaken
to be, has been, will be
 was, were
to choose, is chose, has chosen
 etc.

*the list goes on with some other examples*

Nehetsrev

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 11:16:07 am »
*The next page seems to be a draft of a letter.  Some words are crossed out and followed with corrections, or attempts at corrections.*

Deer Andrew,

You [strike]sed[/strike] said I [strike]shud[/strike] should write a letter to you for praktise.  I will write a bout sum of the things I have dun [strike]laitly[/strike] lately.  I have maid sum new [strike]close[/strike] cloeths.  You seamed to like the set you saw.  I have been trying to maik sum new lethers too.  It [strike]taiks[/strike] takes lots of salt to kuer skins and maik lether.  Asids and oyls too.  It is kosting me lots of [strike]Trew[/strike] Tru to learn but I thinck it will be wurth it in the long run.  I hoep you are [strike]duing[/strike] doing well and that you enjoyed my letter?  Thanck you for teeching me to read and write.

With [strike]luv[/strike] love,

Jetta Ravenlock

Nehetsrev

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 02:15:17 pm »
*A loose page is tucked into the journal at this point.  It seems to be a copy of the letter on the previous page, re-written in Andrew's hand with corrections.*

Quote from: Andrew's Corrected Copy of Jetta's Practice Letter

Deer Dear Andrew,

You said I should write a letter to you for praktise practice. I will write a bout about sum some of the things I have dun done lately. I have maid made sum some new cloeths clothes. You seamed seemed to like the set you saw. I have been trying to maik make sum some new lethers leathers too. It takes lots of salt to kuer cure skins and maik make lether leather. Asids Acids and oyls oils too. It is kosting costing me lots of Tru True to learn but I thinck think it will be wurth worth it in the long run. I hoep hope you are doing well and that you enjoyed my letter? Thanck Thank you for teeching teaching me to read and write.

With love,

Jetta Ravenlock

*Also tucked into the journal with the corrected version of the letter is a letter from Andrew with more tips for Jetta to learn from.*

Quote from: Second page enclosed with the corrected letter
*in block italic, carefully written*

Dear Rook,

I am pleased, deeply so, to read your letter. I see you've been reading your book on punctuation! I understood everything you wrote, and I have offered some corrections above and will put some definitions below.

I think it is time we found you a dictionary; I believe I can locate one from a local gentleman who is a scribe and runs a bibliotheque near town center.

And yes, I liked your dress a lot. Rather too much, I think, as I am committed to not abusing our friendship or taking advantage. Rest assured I'll try to keep my eyes in my head and my jaw off the floor.

Tailoring is an expensive profession to be sure, I've only gotten good enough to design and make a few things but nothing like what I prefer wearing. I'm glad you find it satisfying; I've always enjoyed the motions, sewing often reminds me of using a conductor's wand or a rapier.

I'm going to introduce some new ways to understand sentences and words; nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, and prepositions.

Noun - a person, place or thing. Jetta is a noun (a person); Leringard is a noun (a place); letter is a noun (a thing).

Verb - any word that indicates an action. Run, walk, dance, and sing are verbs.

Pronoun - this replaces a noun in a sentence to make it less repetitive. In your letter you wrote "It is costing me a lot of True." I understood that what you meant was "Tailoring is costing Jetta a lot of True" but "it" replaced "tailoring" and "me" replaced "Jetta". These are pronouns. You, it, she, and he are other examples.

Adjective - this adds information to a noun or pronoun. "The big house" or "the pretty dress" - big and pretty are adjectives.

Adverb - this adds information to an adjective, verb, or another adverb but never a noun. So "I moved slowly" and "Her dancing was fast and sensual" - slowly explains how I moved, and both fast and sensual explain how she danced.

Let's look at some of your letter:

"I (pronoun) have made (verb) some new (adjective) clothes (noun)."

Have and some we'll get into later. I don't expect you to apply all this now, but it's there for when you need it.

I will keep the letter you sent as a present to myself for being allowed to assist you in your introduction to the written word.

Some definitions:

sum = the total portion of an item (I have the sum of True you asked for, I need the sum of those apples)
some = any portion of an item (I have some apples, but not all of them)

maid = a person hired to assist with househould chores or cleaning (I hired a maid to help clean the house)
made = to create; to make (I made a new dress)

seam = a place where two pieces of cloth are joined (My vest split at the seam)
seem = appearing to be (it seemed red, I seem to be burned)

I know this is a lot and we'll go over it next lesson.

Muse inspire you,

Andrew

anything