The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Marcan Telo's Journal  (Read 56 times)

Jeff_K

• View Profile
    Marcan Telo's Journal
    « on: July 12, 2005, 12:21:00 pm »
    As I explored the town of Hlint, I came across a strange man meditating behind some buildings. I waited for him to finish, and I asked him where I could find some merchants to purchase equipment. He kindly pointed me east, where I found exactly what I was looking for. I bought some studded leather armor, and a morningstar. I also got a sling, just in case. It was not expensive, thankfully.

After talking to the town undertaker, I decided I would attempt to purge the nearby crypt of foul undead. In hindsight, this perhaps was not a good idea, at least now. I got fairly far, but in the end I was felled by a ghoul. As I lay on the floor, dying, I saw two adventurers, one of whom attempted to revive me. Alas, it was too late. I succumbed to death, but I did not find what I expected. I found myself in a strange world of blackness, but I was soon again walking among the living. I now realize that I should *not* have returned to the same crypt, as the same fate soon befell me. However, this time, while I was alive, I had the chance to thank these two people. Unfortunately, they left before I could do so properly. I will remember their kindness if I ever see them again. Something tells me that I will.

Jeff_K

• View Profile
      RE: Marcan Telo's Journal
      « Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 05:27:00 pm »
      As I wandered Hlint, I came across a dwarf named Tagar, and his companion. We travelled together to a swamp, and defeated many enemies. After this, we returned to Hlint in search of a wizard to help us on another quest. Instead, we found a group of adventurers planning a dangerous trip into undead infested areas. Of course, I had to jump at the chance, despite my lack of experience. Wherever undead are being hunted is where I must be. Not only did they kill my father, they have killed countless other innocents. I swear in Toran's name, that one day I will be the greatest foe undeath has ever seen.

Anyway, we met up with a number of others who were planning this. As we set off, it became apparent that our mission was doomed to failure. Half of our group got lost, and had to be retrieved by the leader. We did eventually get to our destination, but we had lost the main warriors of our group, and dared not continue.

Jeff_K

• View Profile
        « Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 11:23:00 pm »
        Today started out simply enough. I was looking for a quest, and I came across a woman wanting me to find some tax records. So I retrieved them for her with few problems. I also played a game called "Creatures" with a man there. He won all but two out of six times.

When it started to get strange was when I noticed the sky looked a lot... darker than it should have. Apparently everyone else noticed it, too, because we all gathered in the center of town to discuss it. A lot of the ones there had previously seen other strange things, such as demons, or had had visions. It was decided by a dwarf called Bruenor that we should see the druids in the High Forest. So we all went. Except for a few of us getting lost, the journey was uneventful. We arrived where everyone else was apparently without missing anything. After listening to the conversations, I learned that an army of some evil force would soon be marching upon us. While it would be my inclination to strike first, the druids decided (wisely, I think) to bide our time and collect information, instead of rushing into the unknown.

This seems to be a very grave matter, and I will pray fervently to Toran to try and gain any information I can.

Jeff_K

• View Profile
          « Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 04:18:00 pm »
          I am beginning to wonder if I am really suited to a life as an undead hunter after all. Not only have I died at least five times so far, but I lost all my gold (about 1000 pieces) playing Creatures. I beleive I will concentrate for the moment on something benign, fishing perhaps. Maybe it is the stress of so many deaths, but I need to take a break from this way of life for a few days. Though, this probably is not the best time for it...
          If the opportunity arises, however, for me to travel with a group, I think I will do it. I will see.

Jeff_K

• View Profile
            « Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 08:18:00 am »
            Well, my fishing was mildly successful, but that's not what made the day.

I won some of the money back with Creatures. I had to sell some things to do it, but it was worthwhile. Something else interesting happened, also. I overheard a drow elf saying he needed assistance on a quest. While I must admit that the sight of him unnerved me somewhat, I could not pass up the opportunity to help someone. I ran up to him, and introduced myself. As I had suspected, he seemed very un-dark elf like. While we were talking, I met Teefal Soulcry, husband of Zerpa Soulcry, whom I had met previously. He said that he, his wife, and a sea elf were planning on visiting the crypts. He invited me and my new friend to come along, so we did. The five of us managed very well, though I must say I surprised myself with my ability. It's true that I almost got Teefal killed with an errant spell - sound burst. (I should write something so I remember that. Something like "Target someone, and you're done. Target the ground, you'll be safe and sound." Or not.) But I was also able to destroy a whole room of the undead with a single turning. I had expected perhaps a few of them to run in fear, but not this.

After our successful trip to the crypts, we decided to go to the goblin cave. This seemed harmless enough. We did fairly well at first, but I ended up getting killed once again. Teefal barely survived, but managed to fight on. I quickly ran back to the cave in my ghostly form; perhaps not the smartest idea, but it worked. We got out safely. We were going to visit my grave so I could get my power back, but I thought it would be too dangerous, especially with me in my weakened state. We went to the nearby campground, where we met a woman called Gre'. She seemed very powerful, so I thought we would be fine. I was correct. I successfully found my grave, and regained my strength. Since we had come so far, we decided to keep going. We found the leader of the goblins, and brought him down.

Teefal and Zerpa said that next time, we would travel somewhere with a druid called Luna. I have seen her, but never talked to her. This should be interesting.

Jeff_K

• View Profile
              « Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 06:15:00 pm »
              Well, me, Zerpa, and Teefal met up with Luna, among others. But it was hardly the adventure I expected. I got separated from the main group, and decided to try and get back to Hlint. This was a problem not only because I did not know the way, but also because I am nowhere near strong enough to travel such a distance on my own. But I attempted, anyway.

My first problem was not knowing where I had set sail from to get here. I took a guess, and it ended up being the right choice. As I travelled, I began to think that perhaps I could handle this. Then, I came upon a creature that looked like a living shadow. My turning attempts had no effect, and the creature soon had killed me. Thus, I ended up back where I started. Not only do I have no gold for passage on a ship, even if I did, I would not be able to survive the trip to Hlint. The only option I see is to travel with a group kind enough to buy me passage and protect me. But I could never bring myself to ask for such a thing...