The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: The Testimony of Francis Lorme, Order of the Wyrm  (Read 95 times)

Garwor

• View Profile
    The Testimony of Francis Lorme, Order of the Wyrm
    « on: July 17, 2005, 08:02:00 am »
    My ship has finally set sail for the Port at Lelion on the continent of Mistone.  As the High Priest had promised, a berth had been prepared for me onboard the sturdy ship 'Avenger.'  Fitting, it is the transport that takes squires of our Order to their destinations.  The crew has, judging from their eyes, seen things that I have only dreamed of thus far, for their grim discipline belies a comraderie that comes from necessity, rather than an understanding of the need for order.  Theirs is the necessity of staying alive in the heart of the seas.  Their faith in Mist is strong, as it must be . . .  

Pranzis fades into the mist and darkness this morning, and the darkness gives way to a slate gray morning, which reveals that Dregar has disappeared over the horizen as well.  Truthfully, I am filled with forboding of the unknown.  In Pranzis, where the Order has strong and messengers could summon scores of heavy Knights in a matter of hours, a squire had much less to worry about.  Out here . . .

I know that when my feet touch the ground again in Lelion, I will, for the first time, be truly alone with Rofirein, Lord Protector, The All-Seeing One.  It the favour of his power that will sustain and protect me in the face of His enemies.  I have only my robes, provisions, a few personal items, and my emblems of Rofirein, which shall soon adorn my armour and shield once I arrive.  I long for the day of my first report, when I shall return to Pranzis with news for the Order.

The First Mate, knowing my station as Squire, has entrusted me with an old seeing lens, a "spyglass" he calls it, for the duration of the trip, so that I might learn of the coast of Mistone as we make our way around the northern portion of the continent.

After signalling our peace to the sentinels at Forwarn Fort, our ship turn northward and the coastland sinks into a swampy morass that would make landing impossible for any armoured troops.  This is the High Moor, I am told.  This quagmire continues forever itseems, and every once in a while, I see movement among the stumps and tangled weeds onshore, or the glint of sunlight reflected off of a subdued piece of armour.  I inquire to the first mate, who only shrugs, "lizardmen."  "You won't want to go there," he states, winking at me knowningly and nodding his head to encourage me to agree.  "I hope we don't run aground tonight," he adds, laughing as we walks away.  Oddly humoured these sailors . . . .    

The next day, the view is much more encouraging with snow covered peaks and one of the most beautiful forests I have seen stretching to the sea.  This is the High Forest.  A mixture of beauty and danger, I am told.  Watch as I might, I see no creatures here though - the mists and tangles of the wood giving them sanctuary from the sight of interlopers such as I.  A welcome relief from the dark moor we passed yesterday.

None too soon, the walls and towers of Lelion begin to be visible.  As we approach, various ships and boats are coming and going from the docks, and the place seems fairly lively.  "There's your distination Squire," the Mate says.  I take a last look through the spyglass before handing to back to him.  While most of the people that are visible are going about their daily business, there are many whose business is perhaps less obvious.  Shirkers, idlers, conmen, black marketeers, bandits, pirates . . .  As much as I would like nothing better than to see to them immediately, my orders are strict.  I am to make my way inland to the Town of Hlint, near Fort Llast.  From the Fort, messangers will be available to provide me with further instructions.  As well, the crafthouses of Hlint should provide me a base from which to maintain my armour and weapons.

I put away my pen and journal as the crew secures the Avenger to the pier.  Gathering my satchel, I set my feet on the wooden docks of Lelion . . . Squire Francis Lorme has arrived.  Praise be to the Lord Protector for my safe journey.

Garwor

• View Profile
      RE: The Testimony of Francis Lorme, Order of the Wyrm
      « Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 10:48:00 am »
      My trip from Port Lelion to Hlint was uneventful.  It was all I could do however, not to draw my weapons several times and dispense justice to the many malcontents who were in open disregard of the Law.  From the Port itself through to Hlint, the various criminals and recalcitrants did not even attempt to hide their lawlessness from view, but instead, merely smiling at me as I passed and carried on as if they were engaged in legitimate business!  Absurdity!  They will soon soon be judged . . . but a Squire must obey his orders above all else, so I moved on to Hlint at all speed as instructed.  

Hlint, as promised, contained the basis necessities that I will need to sustain myself for the time being.  However, all manner of races and professions were within the walls, ogres, drow, thieves, animals of all types . . . and all this under the nose of the Captain of the Guard, who patrolled seemingly unaware.
      So much so that evil has a home just outside the gates of this lawless and chaotic town.  A large goblin camp to the west, within view of the walls - and a small outpost of orcs to the north, which threated all who travel to the Tower there, or gather resources in the valley.  Utter nonsense!

After settling in the Inn, I went out to investigate the town.  Decently appointed.  However, the crypts of Hlint were teeming with Undead.  I entered with the intention of sweeping their vileness away personally I could not destroy them fast enough.  As soon as one fell, two would emerge from below and take their place.  The name of Rofirein alone was proof against them, I drove them into the darkest corners and laid waste to them.  Others simply disintigrated upon the sound of the Lord Protector's name - for they knew that my faith in The Great Wyrm was unshakeable.  While the battle was truly an inspiring one - and I regret now not having had the foresight to bring a bard to record the tale - I eventually withdrew, for when the stairs to the lower levels came into view the evil sounds and stench that came from that dank pit confirmed that much devoted prayer would be needed to enter there.  Happy to have reclaimed the top floor of the crypt, I returned to the surface.

The only island of Law and Order that I have seen thus far seems to be in Fort Llast.  Perhaps the Temple of Toran, whose guardians are strict about weapons being displayed in the sanctuary, also serve to keep criminals at bay.  Or perhaps the eager young officer - Jursten I think - is doing a better job than his colleague in Hlint.  Any criminals were outside the walls, along with the merchants.  Wise, from a security perspective.

In any case.  I have arrived and I will waste no time in beginning my task of gathing information on on the progress of the War, and dealing with the various criminals that are about.  Once that is done, I can hopefully set about uncoving the enevitable spys that Blood must have working ahead of his forces, which, I heard yesterday, may have landed around Fort Valensk.  If this is so, then things are much more grave than I had feared.  I will have to complete my squirehood quickly, so that I might rally the local warriors to Rofirein's call as a Knight of the Order.

*Replaces the tome in his pack and heads off toward Lelion*

Garwor

• View Profile
        RE: The Testimony of Francis Lorme, Order of the Wyrm
        « Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 12:50:00 pm »
        I was approached yesterday by the undertaker of Hlint, who informed me that he would offer a reward for the return of the essence of a Darkshade, which inhabited the Crypt in town.  I agreed.  The source of the stench and evil sounds that I heard from the lower floor now makes more sense, with such a vile creature in residence.  

Having been forced to withdraw not a day prior, at the steps to the lower levels, I was wondering how best to obtain entry to the lower area when a fellow Cleric of Rofirein, Brother Nimi Nimi approached me and immediately offered to join in my quest,.  We entered the main level of the crypt, only to find a cleric of Aeridin, Ayla Bineau, alone and battling against the vile Undead.  Though only a slight 5’ tall, she wielded her weapons with authority and her faith in the Lifegiver was strong.  We told her of our quest and seeing the dangers involved, she agreed to help.

Ayla, Brother Nimi and myself were able to overlook the differing views of our respective Churches, who are typically neutral to one another, and work together exceedingly well.  Many Undead were destroyed utterly, as we three Clerics surged forward, exorcising them in the names of our respective Gods, and truly, the power of Rofirein and Aeridin were proof against most of the creatures.

Ayla’s lack of the strict tactical approach of soldiers of Rofirein, while it concerned me initially, proved to be beneficial, since the Undead seemed confused  - unsure as to whether to attack Brother Nimi and I, or attack Ayla, who would be off on a flank rebuking them in the name of Aeridin.  On the other hand, if Ayla was offended by the sheer violence with which Nimi and I destroyed the Undead, she did not mention it to us – instead perhaps accepting that it was they way we had been trained to fight.

Rofirein teaches that the only justice in battle is in sheer overwhelming brutal force – so brutal that it brings mercy in the form of instant death and thereby extinguishes all desire and ability to resist of those enemies who are nearby.  Aeridin’s view of death as part of the great cycle perhaps allowed her to accept this, but in any case, she seemed to approve of the fact that our approach did not promote pain and suffering, even among our enemies.      

The way Brother Nimi moved and fought brought me comfort, reminding me of my days training at the Monastic Order of the Wyrm in Pranzis.  Moving straight in without fear and exploding into the enemy with total focus and ferocity, driving them before you in fear as a dragon in flight, leaving them unable to respond.  This is the way the Undead fared against us.

The battle went well to the very end, and soon we were battling the Shade itself, and the evil in its lair.  Ayla and I were engaged with the Shade, while Brother Nimi was slaying it’s minions, who were trying desperately to protect their master.  I looked over to see Nimi, driving a ghoul before him and rebuking it in the name of the All-Seeing One.  I looked away as it ran behind the large obelisk in the centre of the Chamber, with Nimi in full pursuit.  

Seconds later, with the Shade now fallen, Ayla and I ran behind the obelisk to assist our colleague, only to find him lifeless, with three of the vile creatures splayed about his body.  Shocked, we tried to heal him to no avail.  With nothing left to do, we prayed quickly for his soul and left the crypt, sorrowful, yet privileged to have fought along side such a bold warrior.

No sooner had we cleared the portcullis of the crypt, when an apparition appeared before us – It was Brother Nimi!!  It seemed that the Gods, whether Rofirein and Aeridin, had been pleased by our struggle in their name, and been moved to intervene and restore the good Nimi to life.  

Our prayers are answered, and I have new allies in the struggle to save Mistone, and perhaps ultimately, Leonara itself.      

anything