The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: My Observations and Explorations, Raine Ba'lak  (Read 145 times)

Allorian

• View Profile
    My Observations and Explorations, Raine Ba'lak
    « on: August 09, 2006, 12:49:23 pm »
    Trials and Tribulations in the Town of Hlint, Day One:

Quickly I have discovered the difficulty of the lone wizard; while trying to explore the town and under city, I have encountered multiple near-death experiences. Relying on my limited spell casts per day, my powers are quite limited. While trying to enlist the help of others, I have discovered my Dark Elf appearance to be a large obstacle to bypass. Hopefully another adventurer will heed my calling...

I have decided since my exploration of the city has been somewhat halted to research the nature of the people of Hlint. I have summoned my familer in the form of the Eye to document the reactions of the townsfolk. I have noticed that humans in general have been quite sympathetic and inquistive toward my research, however I have met two dwarves that have expressed somewhat hostile reactions. Perhaps if I am to make more companions in this locale, I should revert fair Valdimar to his panther form.

I have halted my studies for a little to venture down toward the undercity with Donnchadh and Rynik. We ventured to the lowest level of the city where we discovered the Ratman and slew the feind. As the fighting entailed I discovered a fair amount of relics and fixtures. On the corpse of the ratman, I discovered the city of Hlint's lost tax records. Upon surfacing and returning the records, the party decided to spend a joyous night in the local inn and split the findings.

Upon returning to the social spot, the benches outside the bank, I have met many new faces, particularly an elf by the name of Karn. We notcied a man of the shadows starin down at us for a long period of time. Eventually my curiosity had me venture to this man of the shadow to confront him about his actions. However, I discovered that he was not willing to mention anything about himself other than that his name was "the only thing they did not take from him".

I decided to venture with the elven bard Karn and the champion Praylor Falcus. We ventured to the caves of the Red Goblin. This area was far above my level of skill, however, I managed to keep up wit hthe two adventurers while I studied the caves. Interesting structures adorned the layer. We eventually slew the Goblin chief and his head is now in my posession until I can find whom had a bounty on the goblin leader.

I have met a surprisingly friendly Wild Elf by the name of Drogo. He has acted as my guide in these new parts. He has helped me slay multiple goblins and removed their ears for my quest given by the town's miltia quartermaster.

My friend in the guard of Toran Praylor Falcus has began to describe to me the story of the Emerald Skull the Lich that has evaded the circle of Toran for some time. It is said that the Emerald Skull was driven to Lichdom through the betrayel of an elven maiden. The Lich came from a long line of Necromancers, his mastery of the undead is unquestionably strong.

Allorian

• View Profile
      Trials and Tribulations in the town of Hlint, Part 2:
      « Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 07:42:21 am »
      Today I ventured with a fellow comrade in the Arcane to the caves of Sielwood. Through the deeps forest we travelled and I was able to study the actions of the beetles and kobolds who took the land as its own. The exploration ended in a cave hiding a myriad of kobolds within its caverns. Within the cave I located the missing necklace Ragrian was searching for so greatly. I should probably return this amulet to the bard, perhaps I will gain a reward that can help further my studies.

I have had a rather lengthly conversation with one I believe to be a necromancer. His eyes glowed with red hatred during the night and his body was aged so far that how old he was could be a mystery to all. However, our discussion emcompassed good and evil the meta-physcial theory (my area of expertise). I have discovered that not even the Temple of Aragen has in posession a magnifying device. I must plead with the high scholars to contract the greatest gnome tinkeres to develop such a device to further my meta-physical knowledge and possibly discover more untold secrets of biology.

Again another simple town quest has been completed. I have ventured into the crypts under Hlint where I met a warrior whom helped me come into Essence of a lesser dark shade. I gave this shade to the town undertake Erag, he had requested such materials probably from necromantic means.

A large group has formed around the outside of the local bank. The group had decided to raid the cave of the goblins, I joined the party. They had been looking for more adventurers to join their group, a good oppurtunity to futher study these beast-men. We travelled quickly to the caves, however contrary to what I expected, the party of mostly warriors hacked up the goblins quicker than I could observe any social interactions between to creatures. Warriors...They only know how to scourge the world of potential. Angered, I returned to town yearning to leave.

Not long did I have to wait for an oppurtunity. Two elves were heading to Fort Llast and I decided to accompany the group. Although one elf was aprehensive of my actions, the elf eventually tolerated my presence. Running to Llast, I found a new outpost of oppurtunity.

Allorian

• View Profile
        Adventures Throughout Layonara, Day 3:
        « Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 07:49:30 am »

I've found myself exploring moreso outside the city gates. With a group, I ventured to the deserts of the south slaying creatures known as the manticore. We moved north to the township of Haven whence we were enlisted by the local monarch to rid a nearbye cave of an Ogre chieften. My first encounter with Ogres ending quite ... destructively. My group of adventurers slaughtered the Ogres with superior tactics and with the assistence of my blossoming powers in the arcane. I've managed to take note of some of Ogre artifacts and culture. However, after suceeeding in our task of removing the head of the Ogre chieften, we fled the cave under the guise of invisibility.

Visting the local library and proceeding in a few conversations with local scribes I have come across a few tomes. One, a book of translations from elven to both dwarven and halfling; this book I will put a large amount of time studying in the coming week. Secondly, I have come into possesion of a book on theories on physics; reading through simply a couple of pages into this tome, I see I can add futher input. Finally, I have located a book on Necromancy, a subject that fascinates my mind; I chose not to partake in this art, however its ability to drain even the strongest willed of mages incites a certain mystique.

I have acquired a new robe, and have been trained in the art of tailoring..Perhaps I can use this skill to gain some coin to help with my scholarly studies.

I have witnessed the summoning of a celestrial being; this creatures appears to be similar in appearance to a female drow, but her back adorns angel wings..A wonerous sight indeed.

Allorian

• View Profile
          RE: Adventures Throughout Layonara, Day 3:
          « Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 10:35:04 pm »
          A Dark Change, Day 4:
          Anger befell the young wizard as prejudice continued to blaster the young Drow. It appeared that even in a place of great learning and intelligence, the magician was not welcome. As Raine returned from his journey's abroad, the mage took a quick sidestep to the castle of Blackford, and its great library. Upon searching the halls of the great castle, the dark elf located the the bastion of books and also a portal to the Great Library. However, before reaching his destination the scholar was assulted by a group of elves obviously angered by his presence. Thinking the group would be genuine scholars as himself, Raine mentioned his intent, yet still he was slandered. With almost unwavering will, the young wizard continued in an almost ambivilent fashion, but to no avail. The castle guards were summoned to boot the blue skinned elf from its walls. Without hearing a word in the elf's defence, the guards demanded the wizard leave.

The elf angerily left, falling to the anger he had worked so hard to supress, "And you call the Drow a race of hatred and pain" the dark elf shouted to the group as he walked toward the portal, "Look at yourselves! You call yourselves scholars yet you are more prejudice than of the most hateful of the Drow!" Angerly, the Dark Elf cursed under his breath. Realizing his lack of power, he decided to retreat to the Great Library. "Never again shall I retreat from such ... insolence."

Allorian

• View Profile
            The Travelling Wizard, Day 5:
            « Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 12:24:04 pm »
            The Travelling Wizard, Day 5:
            Long has the time come when the wizard journeyed to town; Raine had rarely returned to the town of Hlint. Rather he had become obsessed with the halls in the Great Library and that of the Arcane Academy. Futhermore, he pondered how he could enlist as a stupid at the great arcane tower. However, the mage instead decided to wander the lands, studying and futhering his arcanic powers.

Raine had been studying his language books intently. With his intelligence, tongue of the halflings and the dwarves alwere becoming more natural. Speaking the words of another would assist greatly in educating the races of the world the wizard believed.

Using his skills of lore and research, Raine began writing an inquiry on souls and completed his first volume. Returning to the town of Hlint to enlighten to townfolk with his new work, Raine was interrupted by the request to venture to the far continent of Dregar. He could not resist the venture and joined the party of explorers travelling to the realm. Slaying giant scorpians and snakes with poison that could kill a sapient in minutes Raine's fortitude was greatly challenged. However, the exphidition was a sucess, and Raine decided to return to the town of Hlint for rest.

Allorian

• View Profile
              From the Hermitage
              « Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 12:32:50 pm »
              For many weeks Raine had decided to cloister himself within his small hovel built in the battle fens. Though most would believe the battle fens a nasty locale filled with greedy lizardmen, to an illuionist wishing to research, the battle fens were a perfect; secluded and easy to stay hidden.

The wizard studied intently, multitasking many of his self lessons. From alchemy, to scribing and language to observation, Raine felt a joy that he had been neglected for a very long time. As he improved in his tradeskills and other studies he realized that his arcanic knowlege was taking a back seat. Therefore, Raine decided he must return to the town of Hlint in search of new adventure, new scrolls and new observations of his world yet to be documented.

Allorian

• View Profile
                Learning the Language of the Dwarves:
                « Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 12:42:09 pm »
                Overhearing a conversation of dwarven, the mage decided to test his skills in dwarven.

"Ao'rh nazt." Interjected the cloaked drow. The dwarves responded with a simple "Ao'rh." The two sturdy axemen began speaking in common obviously noticing a differetn dialect. One discussed the commencement of Temple Toran's rebuilding in Pranzis. Once again attempting to use his knowledge of the dwarven language, Raine responded, "Khazrt nazt, kaz". Seemingly suspicious of this tall man speaking their language, the dwarves spouted off in dwarven, "Poaah," and walked toward the direction of the tavern. Raine translated the comment as Ale. The wizard then sighed and walked to the benches by the Hlint bank to join the denizens of the city in discussion...

Allorian

• View Profile
                  A New Being
                  « Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 07:57:37 am »
                  A New Being:

Raine was disturbed for quite a bit of time. Feeling the dilemma which each surface dwelling Drow is subject, his soul felt beaten and distraught. Though the wizard had forged many friendships, he found a vast amount of people still did not welcome his Underdarkian heritage. After speaking with his good friend, the Toranite Praylor, Raine decided to make a pilgrimage to Aragen's Temple in Rilara to beseech the knowledge of the divine.

Leaving the town of Hlint once more, his black hood hiding his face from others, he silently made his way to the town of Port Hampshire. Finishing three novels during his two day journey, Raine arrived in the port city welcoming a long sea trip on the relaxing oceans.

The wizard found himself to the contrary; heavy winds and storms battered the vessel during the journey. An almost ominous telling of what may occur. Arriving in Point Harbor, Raine bought his supplies and marched through the wooded scenery of the Rilaran continent. Enjoying the trip, he found the peaceful nature of the forest strangely relaxing compared to the bustling cosmopolitan towns of Mistone and Dregar. Eventually he arrived at his destination: The Temple of Aragen.

Upon his coming to the inquisitive temple, he found himself well greeted in the eyes of other followers; it was as if they knew he was their spiritual brother. A priest spoke to him, comforting and bolstering the Drow’s confidence. He found himself at home with other philosophers and scholars, however the mage had come with a purpose: to participate in a ritual and consult the divine.

A priestess described the method of Arcane bonding; a taxing ritual which brings follower and deity closer in a link empowering the worshipper. Raine agreed and purchased the proper instruments from the temple to engage in the ritual.

During the period of meditation, Raine felt that he had become no different. Frustrated, he left the temple to return to Hlint. As he left, the clergy of the temple smiled; they knew much the scholar did not. Walking through the woods on the return trip to Point Harbor, the wizard strangely found himself not feeling the need to smoke his beloved pipe weed. Raine felt it odd that his addiction not need be fed.

The strangest situation happened the first night; the mage had strange dreams of a white ghost guiding the people of Layonara to something. The ghost turned to Raine and touched the Drow on his forehead with a smile. The people of the world seemed almost united under this man, or elf or perhaps some other celestial being. Upon waking the following day, Raine discovered his clothing no longer bore the colors of the Black and Green, but rather shimmered a flowing white, bordered by a wonderful navy. His pen had been replaced by a stave, blue with a white vortex guiding him. Bewildered, the wizard still felt no different.

Returning to Hlint via the Freelancer portal in Point Harbor, the change in the Drow was about to appear evident…

Allorian

• View Profile
                    Guidance and Hope:
                    « Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 08:25:10 am »
                    Guidance and Hope:

A few days passed and Raine seemed to walk with a new compassion and confidence. No longer was the wizard such an angry, xenophobe who made few friends and cared not for the sake of others. Rather, he became quite confident, social able and willing to guide and assist those whom he previously thought as ‘lesser’. He walked the streets hoodless, though he realized his presence may still cause ruckus.

This is when he began to wonder about his heritage and the curse of the Dark Elves. Though the wizard was born in the Underdark, his knowledge of the realm was almost non-existent. Previously, he had no care to learn about his condemned heritage, but he began to wonder why the elves split. Pondering thoroughly, his thoughts were intruded by a demon roaming the streets of Hlint; chase was being given by famous (or Infamous) bard known as Ozy. Assisting the Bard aimlessly, Raine found himself participating in actions he whence would have stayed ambivalent.

Following the banishment of the demon, the Wizard found himself in deep conversation with the wise lore master. He questioned the bard about the wars of race and the past. Ozy told a tale of why the ancient curse of the Drow was placed and the ability to remove the taint through proper action. He vaguely hinted at the possibility to return not to simply and elf, but a true elf. He left Raine with the words, “I live to serve…” a sentence that Raine would continuously repeat. Feeling a new found obligation to assist in the preservation of the peoples of Layonara, regardless of race, the wizard found a dilemma. The arrogance of all would be a hard counterpart to the balance and continuality of the realm. He decided to venture to the Great Library in search of more answers.

Arriving at the place of Knowledge without trouble, the mage searched the hall for books relating to ancient times. He found quite a few books however failed to discover anything relating to a topic Ozy mentioned, a Drow Wizard by the name of Milara.

During his readings, Raine discovered elves to be the servants of an ancient race of almost fairy like appearance know as the T’oleflor. They had been summoned around the time of the Dragon Wars to assist the Fey’s in their manipulation and balance of the world. Though the task seemed dutiful, it also required dedication; a commitment that present day elves, Underdark and Surface both seemed to lack. Raines surmised that not even a hierophant was truly a pure guardian of balance and a harbinger of the creators; the elves were slacking in their duties and the weave of time had ...ed them for it.

Raine came to the conclusion that the Drow and the surface elves had been equally cursed; the divine had ...ed the elven race for the unwillingness to their duty and arrogance toward the ‘lesser’ races. Their power hungry struggle split the group, though they could possibly be united, Raine believed, the damage had been done and that possibility was slim. He felt no anger toward the ancient elves, though he found himself intrigued by their once brilliant duty as harbingers for the divine and masters of balance. The wizard thought to himself, "Perhaps there is a means to once again be the benefactors of this world..."

Allorian

• View Profile
                      Re: My Observations and Explorations, Raine Ba'lak
                      « Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 07:19:23 pm »
                      Now holding many towns discussion about ancient histories and new philosophies, Raine has found himself in a new role as a guide. No longer does he quarrel with his inner intentions or ask himself why he participates in certain actions; he has found his path and the role he must take. He has begun to believe the stories of ancient times; the deals with the T'oleflor and dragons sit deeply in his thoughts. Raine now wishes to do his duty as an elf, drow or otherwise and act to maintain the ultimate balance of the world.

The wizard now finds himself at peace; a belief in an explanation for all and a heart rooted in destiny. He has found a new love of nature as well, now spending weeks in the wilderness enjoying the comforts of that serene life as well learning himself in the arcane. Raine seeks to balance all; good blanced with evil, natural balanced with unnatural and arcanic balanced with divine. Raine yearns to make contact with the ancient T'oleflur and receive their bidding. Though certain of his fate; he is still unsure of much...

Leaving behind much of his once prevelant arrogance, Raine now has managed to gather a few friends in town. Hiding his hated ancestory, the wizard has not removed his coverings publicly in quite some time. He has found that his guidence is well appreciated by most, and without the harsh arrogant tone in discussions, many enjoy speaking with the scholar.

Raine has entered a new stage in life; but what do the fates truely hold for this young mage...?

anything