The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Notes of a Woodsman  (Read 770 times)

Olme

Notes of a Woodsman
« on: July 20, 2016, 10:53:57 am »
-- A View from Center -- I sometimes wonder if Center was created by Aragen himself for surely it is the most efficient conduit ever devised for concentrating rumor, conjecture, fact and speculation. I am sure there are wise ones that can distill this into usable knowledge. I imagine the process is little different from that of a gemsmith working raw minerals into glittering gems. More expeditions of 'would be world conquerers' have gone forth from here than anywhere else. For all come to Center sooner or later.I am no different.I have these last few years met all types here. Most are quite forgettable, some, for better or worse, not so.A few (in no particular order):An elven? wizard El?.. my memory is vivid yet hazy. We (and a few others) travelled to far off islands to explore but like so many expeditions our return journey was by route of the bindstones.An arrogant metal clad warrior, hauty, boastful ..quite put out that insignificant me did not instantly recognize his name. For all his martial prowess he had the perception of a wooden plank. He had quite convinced himself that I was a dark elf. An accomplished duelist (Phyresse), helped me more than I could have hoped.The 'man' (he alludes to more), Farros, who can wield his voice as a weapon. (I had of course heard tales of those in Krashin with such power but one ...well Center is a much easier journey!)Tori. A most competent scout and a deadeye with her crossbow. I made her some fine bolts and she in turn gave me a fine ring which shall be most useful. I must look her up when I venture to Alindor. Said ? (or did I overhear it?) she could be found at the Silver Buckle tavern (hard by the port in Mariner's Hold.)A wizard I know only as 'Sib' ..He has been most gracious and helpful.The Cleric of Roferian, Sir Daniel. A kindly soul who seems at times as rigid and brittle as his armor. Yet he is full of contradictions (is he aware of them? or oblivious?) I suspect he is fully aware. I think that for one of such stature to be drawn to a fire circle just reinforces my thoughts of what role Center has in the world. But I like the priest. I think he is a help beyond measure to many and a comfort to many more. I suppose his laws and codes and rules make it easier (for him and others) to know how to view the world and others. I have no such luxury. I've watch Daniel struggle at a much more mundane personal level. He apparently is burdened by being part of this enormous family that are all wrapped up in themselves and their ultimately petty differences. (I've run across several members of this fractious clan)Rebecca. The daughter of Daniel and his greatest? torment. She has, it seems, returned from isolation (as a youth) in North Point. She seems fascinated with elves: travels constantly with a metal clad one; shows up in Center with another, dressed as a doxy and touting her newly found prowess with blade, alluding to Mist. (as much to shock Daniel perhaps?) I actually travelled a bit with her a while back. I made her a gift of both a fine blade I had found and an amulet that might be of use. I suspect she has since hawked them both.Annie Firefly . Another legend come to life! A Brownie! I have been blessed to have her travel with me. A most accomplished sorceress and cook and just plain fun to have around.Neema. None has affected me as she has. Not sure the how or the why of it, but there it is. She has suffered much of which I know little. I suspect there is much that I will learn in time. At her bidding, I have used my skill to fashion her a fine staff and clothing to specifications she gave me. Unbidden I also made her a fine hood. I shared a poem with her. She seemed delighted with it. So much so that I took up pen and scroll and scribed it for her (a difficult task when your desk is a table in the Bullseye!)

The following users thanked this post: Acacea, cbnicholson

Olme

Angra 22 1568 (at the Zainge
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 08:02:57 pm »

Angra 22 1568 (at the Zainge River)

A Chance Encounter

My travels took me near to Krandor. It had been quite a long time since I had set foot in that village, but in need of a good kitchen, ale and a meal I stopped by the inn. Much to my surprise I found Neena there.

We shared a meal together and had a long 'discussion' of news and such. I then agreed to accompany her to the house of the dead.

It is a terrifying place.

I have been in this crypt and others in the past but never on a trip like this one. We were (as expected) assailed by the corpses and such of those we had disturbed. There is no reasoning with them so we of course defended ourselves. But this time we moved slowly, almost reverently, as if we acknowledged we were trespassers. The priestess took care of the dead, as far as that might be possible, by gathering the remains , blessing them and reinterring them. After a while it seemed not unusual and I assisted her as well as I might.

We ventured as deep as we thought was prudent. I showed her a chamber with an altar but she could only observe it from a distance safely.

It was only later after a good sleep (and having departed Krandor) that I realized I have a hundred questions to ask of her about these crypts and their denizens. I suspect she has answers to some.  I'd wager she seeks answers to most .

I must head back to Krandor and find out.

anything