The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Sacrifices of Al'rix  (Read 798 times)

LordCove

Sacrifices of Al'rix
« on: January 13, 2013, 04:25:55 am »

The sun. I had never seen it before. It pains to look at, hurts the eyes. Surely it must be the Eye of the destroyer itself, burning down upon the world.

I remembered the tales of the Dark Elfs banished to the surface, so I must be cautious and careful. I have a project to keep to, and it would be folly to get myself killed or captured before it begins.

The surfacers have little fear of their land. They travel alone or in small groups. Already have I made my first sacrifice.
They were surface dwarves, yet they seemed thinner and more ragged than their Deep counterparts. They approached me with blades out, seeming intent to kill me for no reason I could see. A shame really... such devotion to death should have been rewarded in some way.
I removed my hood to show them my true face, which both terrified and enraged them. When the battle was done, I piled their bodies and set them ablaze, leaving the tip of my blade in the fire to drink their souls.

I have also found the location for my project.
A small town called Hlint.
It is sparsely populated, a place I can sneak into and out of, using the facilities they have for my own purposes.
But i shall not rush, patience will make the sacrifice so much more deserving.

LordCove

Re: Sacrifices of Al'rix
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 09:14:21 am »

My alchemical lessons do not go well. But I will persist, it being a necessary part of the project. My frustrations reached a breaking point, the fire welled up within me, and I felt it necessary to take a small break.

I had not known such creatures existed, bulbous and fish-like, living near the oceans. Such a rare creature surely would make a worth sacrifice to the Rager.
Their nest was in a cave by the sea. I entered and slaughtered them all, including the ugly children, who mewed besides their mothers as i approached. Not that I could tell between the males and females.
A fascinating reaction though, as they did not burn with my alchemist's fire, as so many other things did. They bubbled and melted, leaving me no ash to take, and nothing but a sticky pile of goo on the floor.

One thing of note. In my day-light disguise, I came upon a man the Destroyer must surely have his eyes on. He made an art form of killing, and seemed to relish the kill more than the rewards he claimed he sought.
Dog he was called. I shall keep this name, one such as him may prove useful for the upcoming project.

LordCove

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 11:19:23 am »
Finnaly a break-through in my work. This "Alchemist's fire" is volatile, a thick goo that is highly flammable. Alone it would do little, but in larger quantities... it could be quite useful for the Project.
Perhaps even finding a way to improve its potency.

The burning feeling rose up stronger than before. I gave myself over to it, and poor sacrifices although they may be, a great number of goblins and kobolds fell to the Rager. Their blood washed my blade. Their ashes I collected into the jars. A fine tribute for the Destroyers Temple, should I one day brave the trip.

LordCove

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 04:29:49 am »
The burning rose, but I felt something more formal was needed.
The flasks of fire I had made I had buried, there they will keep until I can gather more. The ridiculous robes I wear, the heavy hood, all these I hid.
There would be no hiding tonight, no quick sacrifice. I would take my time.
I donned the fiery red armour I had crafted, and smeared some of the alchemists fire onto my blade, then sat on a boulder by the road and waited.

It did not take long. The female seemed to be dragging a bundle of food and rags back from town. Perhaps she had dawdled, for it was close to twilight before I came upon her on the road.

The fear was apparent in her eyes as I approached her, she dried to drop her bags and run, but I was too quick for her. As my hand closed about her neck, she let out the most high pitch shriek I had ever heard. A strange, annoying sound, I had never heard such a shriek from the females in the Deep.
I dragged her into the forest despite her shrieks and tossed her onto the pyre. She begged for her life inbetween sobs as I knelt by my blade and prayed.

I am willing to die as surely as my prey as no life is sacred, not even my own. I destroy all that breathes and all that throbs with the pulse of the world. And when he asks, I will turn to ashes to please him. But for you... I have nothing to give but death.

She stared at me dully, stupidly as my sword skewered her. At least it stopped her pathetic whimpering.
As she staggered, blood flowing from her wound, I tossed her onto the pyre and lit it. If it possible, as the fire consumed her, her shrieks reached to an even higher pitch than before.

Within a few moments she silenced, and I prayed by the pyre throughout the night, until the Destroyers fiery gaze lit up the landscape once more.
The ashes of her feeble life I scooped into a jar, and my blade drank the blood.

I felt so at peace afterwards, I felt I deserved a day of rest.

LordCove

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 04:50:30 am »
"As I embrace this flame, let the Raging One feel my body ignite. I hold myself to the fire in devotion to him. Let my blood evaporate in his heat. Let my flesh burn and nourish nothing. I am willing to die as surely as my prey as no life is sacred, not even my own. I destroy all that breathes and all that throbs with the pulse of the world. And when he asks, I will turn to ashes to please him."

Alrix spoke the words, knelt on the ground, his brow resting on the hilt of his sword, the blade of which flickered with a fire. There were no other sounds to him, other than the crackle of the fire and the words of his prayer.

The dwarfs curses and the humans whimpers were nothing to him. He had come across the two by the Splendor Lake, playing cards and fishing and joking. They seemed to be mercenarys, but had left their armour and weapons away from the shore, leaving themselves defenseless.
Alrix had almost planned to take them there and then, but felt it would be a cheap sacrifice to the Rager.
He took their two rusty swords from their camp, dragged them down to the shore and tossed the blades at them. The fools didn't seem to understand the significance, until Alrix drew his own sword and advanced on them.
Only the dwarf put up resistance, the human seemed to have lost his wits.

The battle was over quickly, but Alrix made sure not to slay them, only wound them.
He tied the pair to the trunk of a tree, piled up some brash around them, and doused the pair in his alchemists fire before he began his prayers.
Their cries of agony as the flames consumed them seemed to bring a deathly silence to the surrounding woods, as though all living things were holding their breath.

Alrix's prayers  lasted some time. And when finnaly he stopped, the tree was a blackened chunk, and nought but ashes and smoldering ruins were left of the two mercenaries.
Once again, he scooped up their ashes, a decent sacrifice for the Rager, and left the grisly scene for others to find and wonder over.

anything