The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Storm of the Forest  (Read 56 times)

LordCove

Storm of the Forest
« on: March 30, 2007, 06:55:54 am »
Hawk climbed down the vines with ease and dropped the last few feet gracefully, peering through the woods to check no one saw him descend. Content he was alone, he hid the vines back behind the small outcropping of rocks and climbed through the small opening into the grove of Folian and approached the temple.
It seemed farily quiet today...he noted. The clergy no longer hurried back and forth doing their duties, but stood together in small groups talking in hushed tones.
Hawk spotted his master talking to an elven lady and approached them, though waiting a little distance away in silence till they had finished. The lady nodded a little and wandered off, and his master turned to him with a bright smile.
" Ahh...Hawk....you return. How was your patrols?" he asked
" Fine master. The wolves hunt the deer a little more vigourously as of late...but that is to be expected with the cubs growing stronger. Other than that...I dont believe many have passed through the grove except on Temple business."
" Good good.....you've been gone a few days. I was beginning to wonder if old Grumpy had snuck up on you again."
Hawk smiles as this, his hand going instictively to his side, where an old wound still seems to pain him.
" No master...I gave the old bear a wide berth this time."
" Ah...well....learning to stay quiet and hidden was never one of your things eh?"
" No master....I'm afraid not. I received your message....I understand you have new work for me."
" Mmm..." the old man nods sagely, a slight glitter in his eyes, and pulls out a small envelope from one of his inside pockets, handing it to Hawk.
" I need you to take this to Port Hempstead, and their deliver it to Captain Trent. He will know what to do with it."
Hawk takes the envelope with a raised eyebrow, stuffing it into his shirt carefully.
" A....delivery master? Should I be bringing a message back?" he asked.
The old man shook his head.
" No....I wish for you to....wait there....at Hempstead awhile. Explore Mistone a little....take some time to wander Whitehorn woods, perhaps perform a few tasks their in Folians name."
" Explore Mistone? You....you no longer need me to safeguard the woods?" Hawk looked at the old man confused, a little dissapointed, to which the old man merely smiled softly, putting his hand on Hawk's shoulder.
" That task will be passed to....less experienced people now Hawk. You have grown strong in the faith of Folian....it is time to put your teachings to use. Go...explore....and return to us with your reports regularly. From time to time there may be....tasks....we need you to perform for us."

Hawk paused a moment, glancing about the woods that had been his home so long, and then back to his master, who regarded him solemnly. Then, with a slight shrug, he nodded.
" As you wish master. I will return by the end of the season."

Taking his swords and armour, and little else more, Hawk prepared for the long journey to Hurm....and a boat to Mistone.

LordCove

Re: Storm of the Forest
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 11:30:13 am »
Hawk sits before his teacher on an old log, shifting the weight of his armour and swords. His master smiles at this, settling to the floor before him.
" So Hawk...it's been a month. Tell me....what have you been up to?" he smiles at the young man.
" Well master....the land is....strange, the people have such bizzare ways. I spent my time exploring and helping with a few small chores around town...as you suggested."
" And....have you made friends....contacts?" the old man grins.
" Well...many seem.....self involved....un concerned with matters beyond themselves. I only encountered a few that seemed.....honourable."
" Ahh.....but you did meet some. Excellent. There in lies a strength to be found Hawk....allies....those you would call friend....those who would bleed for you....and for who you yourself would bleed for."
Hawk nods a little, a slight shrug of his armour.
" They are rare to be found master."
" But they are to be found young man, " the old man clambers to his feet, wagging his finger at Hawk.
" Go back....find these..."honourable men"....journey with them....befriend them....make allies of them....and be an ally to them. A man can accomplish many tasks, but with friends around him, he becomes more than just a single man."
Hawk nods slightly, sensing his meeting is over already, and makes his way to climb back up to the clifftops for the road back to Hempstead.

anything