The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Tarradon Duvall's letters to his parents  (Read 186 times)

Dezza

Tarradon Duvall's letters to his parents
« on: February 14, 2005, 12:50:00 am »
Dear Mother and Father,

I know I have not written for some time and I hope that at the time you receive this you are both well. I still have not heard from Doric and Ramen and hope that you have. I guess they are busy serving in the King’s army at present. Anthon on the other hand I saw once again a few months ago bringing in shiploads of grain from Mistone to Pranzis. It seems he was making a healthy profit from the food shortages in Dreger at the time. Although I suspect the harbourmasters and the law were keeping a tight reign on merchants making too much of a profit, well that’s what it seemed talking to Anthon and with some of the guards at the town.

Anyway I write to you now to inform you of where I am at in my life and my intentions for the future. It appears a while ago I came to one of those crossroads in my life which I never thought I would meet but which you both always talked about; somehow I suspect that you mother and also Talia it seems, had some inclination of my potential even if I didn’t.

Father, you have always hid it well but I have always known that you were disappointed that I did not take up a position in King Waysend’s army like my older brothers Doric and Ramen. I have admired and respected you all my life but no more than since they went off to war and I chose to instead move to Mistone and work with those based here. I know how much that hurt you after you have spent every spare moment of your time outside work drilling the four of us in the arts of combat and your code of honour and chivalry. You may think that Anthon and I did not always listen but while with Anthon that was true, I always listened. That’s why I so respect and admire you for when I did not chose to join the army you said nothing but gave me encouragement and wished me well. I hope that as I explain further your heart will be put at ease knowing the path I am now pursuing.

Mother, I know that I have brought you unnecessary pain since I moved to Mistone. With the troubles with Master Febris, the drow, the Brotherhood and the sickness and for that I am deeply sorry. I never intended for it to get so out of hand or end up the way things did. I hope that the efforts I went to in securing the cure and quelling Master Febris and the renegade drow’s plans has in some way gone towards showing you how much I love you.

As you know I went through a trying time after that having finally met up with Talia again and finding that she had used me to achieve her goals in dealing with her father. After the feelings I had for her before Febris sent her away I was overjoyed to see her again yet felt betrayed by her actions. I guess as you say the first love is the hardest to overcome. But overcome it I have and I have finally accepted that Talia has become a respected druid in her own right and has her own work to do with the Elven community she’s now living with, and their continuing fight against the drow.

As you both know I have made a number of friendships over the last few years that I hope will stay with me in the years to follow and as I hinted at in my last letter I have met someone who shares common interests with me and well, we are getting along very well and I hope that I will soon have a chance to introduce you to her.
Times being what they are at present however we both have been working hard in training and preparing for the war that you have already been feeling on Dreger for a while now.

Now to come to the point of all this.

As you both know, much to father’s envy, some time ago I was honoured enough to meet High Priest Quintayne and his radiant wife Lady Kasha when they visited Hlint where I have based myself. I know Father that you have always encouraged us to follow the worship of Rofirein and I find that since the day I met the High priest and his Lady I had begun to question and challenge my faith and what it meant to me.

As you know for as long as I can remember I have always loved dragons, probably due to all the stories father told us as kids and Doric always giving Anthon and myself dragon rides all the time. I guess that intense interest and knowing that you Father believed in Rofirein so deeply has helped me to understand and focus on what believing in Rofirein means to me. It has helped that the woman I have been spending some time with is also a worshipper of Rofirein and well, she talks a lot, and then talks some more. It was through her that I met with the High Priest and Lady Kasha once again and was invited to journey with them to Pranzis to see the Grand Temple to Rofirein.

This visit was the most profound experience I have ever had; it was like something that had been lying dormant within me was awakened the first time I set eyes upon the great golden dragons flanking the entrance to the temple. At that moment nothing else in time mattered, I could not hear anything but the sound of mighty wings beating the air with powerful thrusts. After what felt like ages but I would suggest was only a few seconds I was startled back to reality by High Priest Quintayne calling to me to enter the temple with him. I did so and found myself bending knee and praying at the altar.

As much as it might amaze you Father I prayed like I have never prayed before. A feeling of peace and purpose filled me as if I had been a dry field yearning for nourishment. It was a soul drenching experience which left me dazed and confused. I kept asking myself questions like; what was happening to me, what were these feelings filling me, why? Was it like this for everyone?

When I tried to tell High Priest Quintayne what had happened he just smiled at me and said ‘Rofirein calls each of his followers to serve him in their own special way. Some followers do not realise what way that is and for others, well, they find enlightenment.’
I left Pranzis confused yet instilled with a sense that there is more out there that I need to discover. I found a greater awareness in those around me, in the fragility of life and found a sense of purpose to protect that fragility of life. Thoughts troubled me for some time, even talking them over with my friend I was unable to fully grasp what I was feeling.

Then there were the dreams, I could hardly sleep. Every time I closed my eyes there were either dreams of huge flights of mighty dragons flying through clear blue skies, or more often dreams of them fighting and dying in clouds of fire and brimstone, dragons of all colours battling again and again, killing each other until I could take it no more. I travelled again and again to the Grand Temple in Pranzis for only there did my dreams lessen and a peace seem to overcome me. I see now that this was merely a stepping stone to my ultimate destination but let me continue/

I spent numerous days praying in the temple and talking with the clergy there, increasing my knowledge and ultimately my faith in the Great Dragon. It was these times where I found myself most at peace.

After some time one of the Priests who I had become friends with and who has taught me much about Rofirein approached me and asked that if I was willing he would nominate me to be accepted into the order of the Knights of the Wrym. The sword arm of the Church of Rofirein. At that moment I felt a rush of joy, as if deep inside I knew that here finally was a destiny that I could play a part in. I knew that the training and indoctrination would be long and tedious and yet I yearned to begin there and then. Little did I know the joy I felt was part of Rofireins plans for my future unveiling.

I hope that both of you can understand that I did not say anything of this nor did I invite anyone except my sponsor, Sir Remiel Delmir,. a holy Paladin of Toran, to attend the ceremony for acceptance into the order as it was something I wanted to accomplish on my own, like an initiation into life so to speak. I hope you both understand.

As it turned out, fate, and Rofirein, had decided another path for me. I was not accepted into the order but was told by the priest that I was not ready and had to study more about what the temple required of me. I can tell you I was crushed. I had studied so hard; even my sponsor Remial was surprised that I was not accepted.

I thought that it was due to the fact that I had been helping a group desperately trying to quell the uprising of a force of evil, a demon with no remorse. During the trials involved in pursuing the creature we were responsible for taking and ultimately destroying an artefact of Rofirein. It had been kept in a sacred temple hidden from men. It saddened me to think that it was perhaps this that had prevented me from being accepted even though what we did was just and for the protection of all.

Both Remiel and I pondered this curve of fate that had been dealt to me and what would become of me if in fact the temple held me accountable for the loss of the artefact. It was in this moment of time one who I could not say was entirely of this world opened my eyes to the possibility that those within the temple had to some degree lost what it meant to truly serve the will of Rofirein, He then revealed to me a way that I may restore the lost artefact and heal the damage done by us in defeating the demon to those who were most faithful to Rofirein by in fact restoring the artefact itself, rebuilding the sacred temple that housed it and returning it to the eternal guardianship of worshippers of Rofirein called the Ageless.

For my part I was overjoyed to try to do this task, a difficult one to be sure but one which I wanted to fulfil with all my heart. A chance to set things right and redeem myself in the eyes of the church. How soon was my eyes to be opened to that unfulfillable determination.

Over time my trials and journeys awakened within me a realisation that I know that you father, being a devout attendee at services and proclaimer of the doctrine that the church clergy proclaim, may not fully understand. I came to realise that I was being called, called by the will of Rofirein to accept his challenge, the challenge of serving him as he truly wants to be served and to carry out his will.

I set out on my journey and have sacrificed much in my striving to achieve what to many seemed impossible. You should know that those at the Cathedral in Pranzis do not look with favour upon me; they wished the artefact for themselves when I knew that it could not be so. To enable that to happen would mean a great imbalance in the world. I could see how so called leaders of the faith’s outlooks changed when the artefact was mentioned, how those at the Cathedral acted when they felt they had the chance to claim what they considered a great prize. It was all so wrong, I could see that the only place it could truly go was to the place it was originally taken from and entrusted to those who would keep it safe forever.

During this time also I was able to seek out and find a clan of dwarves called the Hammerweavers whose forefathers had originally built the sacred temple that held the artefact. I was able to negotiate with them to rebuild the temple once more to its former glory. An achievement to which I will always remain proud of as the finished product was a wonder to behold.

I was forced therefore to gather stalwart companions to join me as I entered the sacred crypts below the cathedral in Pranzis without the blessings of the clergy and reclaim that which had lain there in secret for ages untold. This item, a holy tome provided me with great insight and knowledge into the will and life of Rofirein. It also gave me the way to restore the artefact. In so doing I learned also that sometimes you have to do things that seem unsavoury and work with people considered in that capacity for the greater good. Such was the case in this instance.

Once we had the Holy Tome we travelled back to the sacred Temple of the Ageless. As I said earlier it was a wonder to behold. We entered that place where here finally I completed the final stage of my awakening. Here I learned more about Rofirein and what it is to truly serve him than I learnt in my entire life. I found wellsprings of wisdom within me deep inside that sprang forth giving me new and fresh insight into the sacred duties of serving the Mighty Dragon. I was both humbled and awed by the honour and the sacrifice that comes with service to all who dwell in the darkness and need to be shown the light.

In that place I was challenged to understand the true meaning of faith, love and sacrifice; to protect those who cannot protect themselves and to protect those you would not normally want to protect. The tests I faced left me physically and mentally drained and weakened but I found myself filled with a sense of the holy will of Rofirein.

I write to you now from a small room I have been staying at in Lorindar as I rest and recuperate from the events of the past few months and spend some time reading about the wonders of Rofirein from the Holy Tome I was allowed to keep for a short time. Soon I shall return it to its final resting place.

And so as I draw this letter to a close I wanted to let you know that I would like to visit you both some time in the next month before I head back to the place where I started on this journey. There are people there I need to see again, and in the current times, dangers that I will be required to help deal with.

May the Wings of the Dragon enfold you with love, his Scales protect you and his Claws give you the strength to face life without fear,

Your loving son,

Tarradon Duvall

Dezza

Tarradon Duvall's letters to his parents
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 05:49:00 pm »
Dear Mother and Father,

Much has happened since I last visited you…as you know I was experiencing a spiritual awakening and finding my place in the world and what Rofirein wished me to do it in. I find now that I have discovered meaning and purpose. I now strive forward to act and carry out the will of the Great Golden one.

I see what my life will be like from now on in the service of Rofirein.  I will ever be forced to defend and protect the faith, resist anger and hatred and to bring back to the light those who have drifted from the path of what’s good and decent and have descended into paths of darkness and shadow.
I have to make this my mission, we now more than ever need all those called by the Dragon to aid in the war against Blood and his generals. A darkness is creeping across the land and shadows are flickering across the heavens and the servants of faith are being called to rise in response to these threats.

It is inspiring indeed to see the overwhelming response to the call by those of faith the world over. Followers of Rofirein, Toran, Vorax, Lucinda and many others are gathering to show their alliance and discuss the future and how we can aid in the war against Blood and the threat in the heavens.

As too the war, the battle rages back and forth. Recently a group of powerful heroes found an ancient lost library that we all hope contains information about Blood and his armies that may assist in thwarting him in future. In retaliation Blood and Milara attacked the town of Hlint with high casualties being suffered amongst the very heroes who were celebrating their victory and discussing future plans.

Alas I was in Arabel at the time on another matter seeking information about an ancient Dragon we seek to enlist as an ally in the war.  This is proving to be an extremely difficult task and one which many of us are trying to find a resolution to as we need all the dragons united in the cause.

Where the future lies we do not know at this stage…there is much to be discussed and plans to be made for the war effort. I will try to keep you informed with what I can but things are moving quickly and danger lurks at every turn..I fear that if we cannot bring the heroes all together on this we will suffer a terrible fate.

I hope you both are still well and the small amount of money I left with you is helping. I saw Anthon again the other day in Point Harbour. He was complaining about a ship he lost near Roldem to pirates but other than that he is still Anthon. Of Doric and Ramen I have not heard as I know you have not either for some time. I will be in Pranzis soon and will call into the Kings army barracks there and see if I can get some information directly. I am sure if they were in trouble then we would know by now. More when I can.

By the Light of the Dragon,
Your Loving son,
Tarradon Duvall

Dezza

RE: Tarradon Duvall's letters to his parents
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 12:13:00 am »
Dear Mother and Father,

I know I have not written of late but I find myself busier than I have ever been in my life. Service to the Great Dragon is demanding but fulfilling.
While many things are happening lately of which I will write soon I have most joyous news that I know father will be overjoyed to hear. However I beg of you to keep quite about it for now as if our enemies learn too soon of their existence they will likely become targets.

I finally caught up with Quintayne once again the other day and he told me the news which I have brought to the High Council and to the Faithful of Rofirein that good dragons have once more come into the world! It is the most wonderful news I have heard for such a long time. I pray that one day we shall see once more their beautiful forms flying overhead. Alas Quintayne could not stay long enought to continue the teaching of the tongue of Dragons. I shall have to wait a little longer to practice what I have already learnt I fear and to learn more.

Mind you it does cause me some concern as well, it brings to my mind once more the dream I told you of after I set out from Waysend and I dreamt of the dragon war. If you remember  I had been telling my friend Mr Ozy about it. When I gazed into the skies above the land, into a sky filled with violent storms where dragons warred with each other. Metallic against Chromatic. A great battle that was waged as I gazed on eyes filled with tears to see them destroying each other. I pray that this will not come to pass and that it is merely a dream of the wars of the past.

But for now I wished to share the wonderful news with you and especially father.
I hope to hear from you soon on whether you have received any word on Doric and Ramen. As I understand it Anthon was in Roldem the last few months working on some shipping deals.

Your Loving son,
Tarradon Duvall

Dezza

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 12:01:00 am »
Dear Mother and Father,

Time marches on once again and these days I find myself much given to the tasks asked of me by the Great Dragon.  It seems there are many tasks asked on me by my friends and comrades and the good people of these lands.

I have tried to spur the High Council into action but alas I fear the members are spread far and wide across the world and as such have lost the meaning of the High Council in serving other duties. When I stand within the empty council chambers sometimes I lament the fact that it has come to this, so much hope and possibility was breathed into it when we fought to keep the council from disbanding..but for what. I fear the council has become impotent in its voice. There are those who would clap and cheer should they read what I have just written to you for the Council has enemies both from amongst those we fight against and also from those who stand with us. Powerful opponents who carry much influence and whom I once could count upon as friends.

Strangely I cannot bring myself to hate them, I have spent much time and thought and instead I have come to understand them and their reasons and I cannot blame them for their own ideas can I. I wanted to show them that they were wrong and that the Council could survive and flourish and do good.
We did survive, we did good but we did not flourish, we foundered..are foundering, the Council has not sit for many months and the last debate many members did not respond to the calls for votes.

Instead I put my efforts to that which Quintayne called upon for me to do..The Congregation of the Faithful, this shows promise although once again people’s spirits are willing but the flesh is weak. I and others who think as I do call them and they say they will come…but they do not…

Our Great Lord stands in harms way and very few are willing to act on this. One thing that brings me great joy is the Toranites intention to take a Pilgrimage from Hlint to Pranzis soon. I and many Rofireinites as well as followers of Vorax and others have pledged to act as guards on this journey. It should be both a spiritual and purposeful trek and one I am glad is happening.
I got your letter and the copy of the contents of the letter from the Pranzis army headquarters about Doric and Ramen’s unit being lost behind enemy lines in Roldem and I too fear for their safety. I have fought some of Milaras troops on Rilara and met some of Bloods forces as well in battle and they are formidable enemies. I pray that Doric and Ramen are alright. If you do not receive word from the army headquarters soon let me know and I will see if I can get a force together to seek them out.

I pray that you are both well and I will come to see you soon,

Your loving Son,
Tarradon Duvall

Dezza

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 11:38:00 pm »
Dear Mother and Father,
I know my letters have been staggered of late, it seems there is always something to be done these days and I find moments of peace and quiet a rare gift. Even as I write this letter to you several of my companions have arrived outside and are awaiting me to accompany them on a journey to Dreger. I wish that I was coming by Waysend so I could see you both as it seems so long since I have been there. Alas our mission has a purpose and it does not involve time nor travel near you.

You will be pleased to hear that my petitions have been heard and fresh inductions into the Knights of Rofirien will be conducted soon for myself and those who would join me in this endeavour. From there with Rofireins aid I feel we can be a force to reckon with against Blood. You will have known by now of the fall of Roldem, this has caused a great deal of panic upon Mistone. This coupled with several forays by Bloods forces into Fort Velensk and the Dragon Isles has caused much chaos. But it also has sparked something else, something which I hope fosters and grows amongst those heroes summoned to this place by the dragon in the first place to aid in the fight against Blood. I see a renewed effort and a coming together amongst people, finally, to work to prepare to fight Blood and his forces when they finally arrive.

Unfortunately my letters to Quintayne remain unanswered as I seek more information ont he tongue of the dragons which he was going to teach me and indeed started to so long ago.

I must admit my blade remains close by at all times when I travel the lands these days, a fact that I wish did not have to be so.

I am sorry that my efforts to discover the fate of Doric and Ramen have come to naught. The ministry for War in Pranzis could tell me nothing except that they are part of a contingent of men on a mission for the King. Whether that means they are alive I hope that is the case.
What does worry me though is that the last I heard of Anthon he was taking several of his merchant ships to Roldem. As much as we don’t get along I hope that he got away from there in time before Blood invaded. I hope you have heard word from him.

In your last letter you asked how Gabrielle was and I must reply that she is very well, in fact she is becoming quite well known for her skills at the forge. You asked if our friendship was something more and honestly I must admit to you that I want it to be and I think she does too but something holds me back. I serve Rofirein with all my heart and soul and I will join the battle against Blood and if I fall I don’t wish to see Gabrielle heartbroken. Perhaps its better this way, that we remain friends. If we succeed perhaps then something could come to be but I must focus on the task as hand and the best was I can aid the Great Dragon.
As always some gold is enclosed here for you and father.

Your Loving Son,
Tarradon Duvall.

Dezza

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 04:33:56 pm »
16-02-06

Dear Mother and Father,
Once again I find a moment of peace in this hectic time to put quill to paper and send you this letter. I finally have some good news for you both. I was in Lorindar recently and found Anthon alive and well. He was even more surly than usual but he is alive. I spoke with him for a lshort while and it seems that he had just left Tibum when Bloods fleet rounded the headlands and attacked. Anthon lost several ships when some of Bloods ships diverted to follow his merchant group but the bulk of them escaped. It seems Blood was more interested destroying Tibum and securing Roldem than pursuing fleeing vessels. Lucky for Anthon, although as usual he can only complain about the lost revenue. Will he ever change?

I also have another piece of news for you which I know you will be both relieved to know. Doric and Ramen are alive. Yes, alive. I saw them in Pranzis. Their unit had been deployed in Roldem and almost destroyed when Blood invaded. They along with a few of their unit managed to escape and return to Dreger. I spent an evening with them in Pranzis before they had to leave. They have been re-assigned to Suadaria for the time being, keeping an eye on the coast for any of Bloods forces and also dealing with slavers. I told them to get in contact with you and father as soon as they can.

As to myself, well I once again applied for acceptance into the Knights of the Wyrm. I brought with me several companions whom I felt would serve the order well including Gabrielle. It was amazing, the ceremony and testing was unable to be described. But..I felt Rofirein with me and I think this time I will make it..I have so many plans to fulfil. I was accepted but have yet to attend the initiation ceremony where we get out postings and ranks. So time will tell.

Well, duty calls so I must go. Love to both of you,

Your loving Son,
Tarradon Duvall

Dezza

Re: Tarradon Duvall's letters to his parents
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 01:16:49 am »
29/05/06
Dear Mother and Father,
Well another chapter in my life has been completed and a new one begins. Father you had better sit down before you hear the next part of what I am going to share with you because I am sure it will create such disbelief that you might faint. I am joking of course. Just a few days ago myself and the others who were accepted at the initiations attended the inaugural Acceptance ceremony for the Knights of the Wyrm.

It was incredible, the entire temple district was illuminated and decorated. Many knights attended with their entourages and many Rofireinite faithful as well as general populace from Pranzis also came to view the spectacle. It was great to see people so happy for us.

Myself, Gabrielle, a man called Lyons and a woman called Jennara were the accepted that attended the ceremony. We were brought into the Cathedral with much pomp and ceremony and into the inner sanctum where only us, several senior knights, the Knights Historian Fethoz and the Wyrm Commander were present. I was humbled greatly by the enormity of the moment and I could see that the others were as well.

As the ceremony progressed we each had to tell a tale to be recorded into a tome under our name, a permanent record that will be written as we carry out our days in the service of the Great Dragon.

You will be pleased to know that my friend Gabrielle was honoured with the title of a Unit Captain. I think she even surprised herself, but she will make a great captain. People naturally look to her to keep them safe when they are travelling with her.

Lyons, a very pleasant young man, whom I have only known for a short time, was ranked as a Knight. An honour of which I am sure he is very proud.

Jennara I myself have met some time ago is one whom I have heard stories about, her name is mentioned often when anyone discusses the re-capturing of Roldem. She was ranked as a Knight and given the honour of bearing the Golden Standard of the great Dragon. I was very proud for her. She deserved it.

You will be pleased to know as I was that I too have been given the title of Unit captain. An honour I did not expect but one which I was very grateful to achieve. The part that I am sure will have father laughing at in irony is that I was also granted the title of Umbra. To be a spiritual advisor to other Knights on the will of Rofirein. An Honour of which I cannot be grateful enough. I truly believe it is Rofirein that has set my feet on the path to bring his will and word to the people.

For now..we must prepare for the coming battles with Bloods armies. I hear whispers that he is once again gathering his forces, calling his armies together. I hope we are prepared.

I don’t know if there will be time but I would like to find Talia once again, I am not sure why. I am not truly sure of my feelings for Gabby. I think they are clouded still by thoughts of Talia. I must seek her out to see that she is safe and well. If she has a life she has made for herself then I think I can live with that and look to my own life. But for now Rofirein is my life and when he calls I answer.

Your loving Son,
Tarradon Duvall

Dezza

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 12:26:33 am »
Dear Mother and Father,
I have no way of knowing if this letter will reach you or if the forces against us will interrupt is passage and burn its contents before it reaches you but I pray it gets through.

I write this as I stand in readiness to face the enemy that has broken through the east gate into Pranzis.  I have already fought in several battles at the main gates; our losses there have not been as severe as other areas of the city. We have been under the direction of a Paladin of Toran, Matilda. A fine women who I must admit in the past I did not think her the type to engage in warfare. But her decisions were sound and sat well with us as we fought to hold the gates.

In our midst we had a powerful dwarven general who commanded over two hundred dwarven soldiers I must admit their strength enabled us to hold the gates for so long. Alas Varka who saved my own life once embarked on a crazy mission which if successful would have seen at sudden end to the fighting I must admit. His mission failed and left us seriously weakened for a time until aid from the healers could restore him too us.

In that time I was called away from the main gates to defend the Cathedral district and the path to the main castle. It is here now where I write to you. I can hear the battle getting closer. Already fires rage through many parts of Pranzis. Refugees flood into the area and are being directed by the clergy inside the Cathedral or to areas away from the gathered soldiery.  I saw Doric and Ramen briefly, their unit was dispatched to support one of the holding groups who had taken heavy losses.
I suspect at this time now it is only a matter of time before the enemy approaches our sector. All I can say is that my initial suspicions while on the main gate was that the enemy did not expect such heavy resistance. We have a lot of good people here right now. A lot of people with a lot to loose and thus we are fighting harder than those attacking. But their numbers are superior to ours. I just hope that our actions here aid those doing what must be done to end this once and for all.

I must go now, the men have approached me to lead them in prayers. It seems the enemy has been seen several streets away. It wont be long before I will be in battle once more.
My love to both of you. May Rofirein bring you the strength to endure in the days to come.

your loving son,

Tarradon Duvall

Dezza

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 02:39:22 pm »
Dear Mother and Father,

As I write this letter to you I feel troubled in my heart. No doubt you are aware of the current situation in Prantz and the takeover of the General Broeger. He is firmly entrenching himself in the hearts of the people in the city with gifts and superficial offerings while slowly taking from them any liberties they once enjoyed and they do not see it. Our letters to the once Great Cathedral of Rofirein go unheeded as the Head of our order has become a recluse within his prayer chambers refusing to come out and deal with the situations at hand. Those below him seem to be of differing opinions on whether to work with Broeger or to treat with those trying to stir up rebellion from outside the city. It seems no one is able to stand forth and make any lasting decisions. With our order in disarray and shock still from the loss of the King, then the takeover of Prantz, the sullying of the Cathedral and then the death of the kings daughter it is slow to recover.

There are those within the faith who seek to join the potential rebellion slowly growing strength, their words rushed and impetuous but understandable. I have tried for so long to emphasise the will of Rofirein and the faith and belief in the great dragon but its hard to take a step back from direct action and consider other aspects in light of all the events unfolding. I know its foolish for us to act now, without proper consideration and planning, without clear directions from the Cathedral and those who preside over the church but the time is coming when I feel events will necessitate action. I just wish those in the hierarchy above myself and others would show some leadership and direction. If not then once again it looks like those of us in the lower ranks will have to stand up and deal with the matter. I think I will allow them another week to respond to my missives. If not then I will have to organise to meet with those of our faith who would see the matter resolved. I realise in this I should be careful of my word since it appears Broegar is trying to control the mail as well and this could well be conceived as treason in his skewed view of the world.

On a personal level I feel Gabrielle and I have grown apart. Gabby is focused on her metalworking and forging as well as her duties and I have been taken up with duties of the church and things like I have mentioned here. We are still great friends but my thoughts that she was the one Rofirein had chosen for me do not seem to be correct. I have met another charming young lady of the faith who I get along quite well with but once again at this stage we are just friends. Not that I am overtly looking for anyone but I know that both you and father love to know about that sort of thing. Sometimes I wonder if Talia truly was the one for me and that I have missed my opportunity in life. I still think of her with love and affection, the image of her still fresh in my mind from so many years ago. Perhaps one day we will meet again.

I am finding that since the war there are more Rofireinites around who I am endeavouring to meet and expose to the ways of Rofirein. It is a task which I find I enjoy. There are even a few others whom I am trying to woo to the faith of Rofirein or at least to lead a better and more useful life.

I was glad to hear that both Doric and Ramon plan to wed soon and move back to Waysend I know how much you both will enjoy that. I will attend the wedding most certainly and look forward to having the family back together again. Will Anthon be there? Last time I saw him he was in port in Point Harbour complaining that he had lost one of his ships to pirates north of Dreger.

I am glad both of you are well and things have settled down for the time being. I will see you soon.

By the Light of the Dragon

Your loving son,

Tarradon Duvall

Dezza

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 07:44:23 pm »
Dear Mother and Father,

Once again I send you a note but alas this time I fear it is not full of glad tidings. I am writing in part due to frustration and in part to gather my own scattered thoughts. You most likely have not become aware yet of the current turmoil within our faith. The Cathedral in Prantz (the taste of that word is still bitter on my tongue) is in disarray with the High Priest locking himself in his prayer chambers after a visit from a group of Broegers sycophants. The cathedral itself  is not what it once was, much of the damage caused in the battle for Prantz has not yet been repaired, clergy left un-replaced, orders do not flow out to the other temples across the world and worse yet thoe within the faith who seek advancement above all else now seemigly pander to Broeger and spout adherence to his unfair laws. On top of this I fear Rofirein has abandonded the Cathedral and I do not put this in writing lightly. The last time I was there which was after Broegers Sycophants had been I prayed at the alter as I had done many times in the past and felt nothing. There was no presence, nothing. It may be that I was out of touch with him considering all that had happened but I do not believe this is the case. Since the day i pledged to follow him on bended knee before the angel of the Gold I have always felt him when I have called. I did not feel him close to me in any way within the boundaries of the cathedral. Perhaps Broegar has done far greater damage to our faith than we could even possibly imagine.

We have no guidance, we have no direction. Those outside of Prantz look towards what was once our most holy and illustrious cathedral to the Great Gold with growing trepidation and anger at the lack of action. I have tried to stem their feelings while at the same time trying to determine what is to be the fate of what was once such a grand place full of some of the most learned minds on our beloved Rofirein, justice and law as well in the world.

Even the commanders of the Knigths of the Wyrm have indicated they will not act until they receive word from the High Priest and so we are stuck in a nowhere land appealing for strong leadership. As Umbra of the knights I receive on a daily basis requests from our applicants and members alike troubled by the whole situation and seeking guidance. I sense that unless a priest comes forward with enough strength to lead those still based at the ineffectual cathedral in Prantz there will be a schism within the ranks unlike anything we have ever seen.

This in turn occurs when the days grow darken and more of the dust clouds cover the skies above. Just the other day as I left Corax lake several birds dropped from the sky covered in a layer of ash that had burnt their wings and lungs. If we cannot regather our strength now in this time then the forces of Pyrtechon and Corath may sweep across the land in their insidious ways and take advantage of the turning tides of despair and darkness.

For the first time since I swore my oath to my beloved Rofirein I feel adrift in a sea of doubt. I believe Rofirein will show us the way but for now I must focus on bringing my own thought into line and then giving support to those of the faith who are straying from the path in this difficult time. Already there are those planning things that do not truly follow the paths and tenants that Rofirein suggests. Recently I received a missive from an aquintance about a Rofireinite who is using some sort of mind control to force people to follow the Great Dragons principles. This abhorrant behaviour cannot continue if we are to remain a united order, to save face and stand forth before the poor innocents of the world suffereing under the strains of the aftermath of war.
I am sorry for the somewhat fatalistic tone of this letter and I urge you to not dwell on the matters for now. I will do what I can do in the name of Rofirein, I will be the shoulder for people to lean on in these dark hours. I pray the Rofirein in his wisdom will show us the way forward.

Your loving son,

Tarradon Duvall

Dezza

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 01:03:53 am »
Dear Mother and Father,

Its funny how fate works, my last letter to you was full of doubt and unease and not long after I posted it Rofirein set a new path before me which I have taken and found renewed vigour. It brought home to me the fact that in doubt I should never loose hope in the Great Dragon. For he has always watched over me in the past as he has done so now. I have found myself travelling with a group of like minded people. A monk called Jin who is the orchestrator of our missions, an well spoken elven mage called Eghaas, Valdemar a half giant cleric of Aeridin, Charlotte whom I have told you of, Alliena a cleric of Aeridin as well and several others.

Together we have taken it upon ourselves to delve into regions of darkness where evil dwells and bring light and order. So far this has begun with some success and I look forward to more missions. This is exactly what the Knights are there for and I find that I relish the opportunity to serve Rofirein in this manner.

I made some enquiries recently as to the whereabouts of Quintayen and Lady Kasha but still have not been able to make any headway. I know at one time Lady kasha said that they might have to leave to raise there children somewhere they will be safe.perhaps they are on Voltrex with the young Dragons. That is one place at this time I cannot find out about. And so I practice the few words that Quintayne told me before he left and hope that in the future there comes a chance to fully learnt he tongue. I fel that when I am ready Rofirein will give me the opportunity.

That is all for now. I will be there next month for Doric and Ramons wedding most assuredly. Give them my best wishes.

By the light of the Dragon,

Your Loving Son,

Tarradon Duvall

Dezza

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 02:25:05 pm »
Dear Mother and Father,

Life in the service of the Dragon is never dull it seems. Just when I think that we are finally establishing some sort of order in the Faith something comes along to disrupt it. Recently Barion and Serissa came to me on separate occasions with problems associated with a seed that has been located and needs to be returned to the temple in Fort Velensk. I gave them the best direction I could. Then I find out about a rogue Rofireinite priest acting in the name of the Dragon in a fashion contradictory to the ethics of our faith.
Now with the plague in Hurm I pray that it will not spread to Waysend, that it can be contained well before that.

I have petitioned the High priest in Prantz to come forward and sanction sending a unit of Knights to Hurm to establish order so the Aeridinites can fulfill their duties quickly and efficiently. If we do not receive this sanction then I will have to decide the best course of action in service to the Will of the Dragon. For it is his Will I swore to serve when I took on the mantle of Paladinhood. I hesitate to say it but if his Will and the will of the High priest are at odds, then I will be forced to act on His Will and suffer the earthly consequences of my actions. I pray that it does not come to this and that Rofirein speaks to the High priest and convinces him to leave the solitude of his chambers and bring direction to the faithful once more.

We cannot sit in this land of unknown without strong leadership for too much longer. I see the faithful turning away from the Great Dragon, I see the church in disarray and it cannot be so. I will not allow it to be so.

I ask you to pass on once again my congratulations to Doric and Ramen for their marriages. Being there last month with all the family was a wonderful spiritual renewal for me and has given me more than you know. It was a shame Anthon did not come but it seems that more and more Anthon has become his own man with his own life.

Finally I have not heard word from Quintayne of Lady Kasha yet even though I still remain hopeful. I have however found the pages which Quintayne wrote down some of the ancient language of dragons which I have begun to learn again. I will hold close to me this knowledge because as I understand there are very few people in the world who are still able to speak it.  There is a pattern to the language which I can see, it is a rich language and beautiful to listen to when spoken, even though I am sure I do it no justice without proper instruction.

Be well,

Your loving son,
Tarradon Duvall

Dezza

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 08:44:30 pm »
Dear Mother and Father,
Once again I write and this time I have news of a great achievement. Recently Magistrar Reus called for those of the faith to investigate a theft from the temple in Velensk. In the course of this investigation we discovered a terrible attempt by the order of Pyrtechon to sow seeds of evil and further separate the alliance between Toran and Rofirein faiths. An evil artifact had been given to the temple in Velensk at some time in the past hidden as a golden statue of Rofirein. This artifact apparantly is one of many infused with the power of Pytechon far back into the past and left to re-awaken at some point in time and bring forth terrible destructive powers. It seems agents of the enemy had discovered its location, stole the artifact and we were led to belive it was placed within the temple of Toran in Fort Last.

Thankfully this was not the case and we tracked the villian responsible to the dire woods where he had kidnapped some children and was planning to complete the ceremony to bring forth raw destructive powers into the world.

Allied our party that had tracked the villian across Mistone surrounded him within teh forest and struck. We managed to disrupt his ceremony, capture the artifact and rescue the children thankfully.

Alas the artifact had been activated and it was left to the priestess Serissa and myself to try and quell the powers of the device. This concerned me greatly because of late Serissa has been questioning her role within the church and where her heart truly lies. I have tried to explain to her that she needs to believe in her faith, that which she believes inside that is important, not what people tell her to believe or what they do not tell her which is the main problem. Still no word from Prantz.

Besides all this I was well pleased when Serissa's call to Rofirein was loud and clear and together we used the power of Rofirein to destroy the chaos of the enemy. Alas the backblast of the event caused considerable damage to the surrounding area as well as taking the lives of two of our allies who had stayed with us to aid us in whatever way they could. I was saddened to see their deaths but heartened to know that in Rofireins power Serissa and I were held safe, his shield protected us. I was equally moved when Serissa called on Rofirein once more to restore the lives of those who had aided us in this venture and once again he answered her call.  I pray that she finds her way within her faith so that she can continue to find the joy of service to the Great Dragon.

The other piece of news I have that I ask that you do not reveal is that I found another document that Magistrar Reus has allowed me to keep for a while. It is a page of script written in ancient draconic. I am using it to try to compare to the notes I already have to see the patterns within the lettering. Perhaps it can aid me in further understanding the ancient lost tongue. I do not know at this stage.

You should know that I am planning a trip to Dreger soon, I plan to investigate claims of increased activity amongst different moster races in the mountain ranges there. Some claim its the beginning of an attempt to gather the monstrous races together to descend on the civilised towns and villages. PLease do not be be too concerned I have yet to investigate if these claims are true. My thinking is that it is baseless, but you never can be too sure and I would like to be safer than sorry.

On the personal front I have not seen Gabby for some time, she left to Roldem to serve with an advance party of Knights sent at the churchs request to aid Lady Jennara if they can. And the search for Talia goes on although I know that the trail has long gone cold, feel the same for both women and yet I know this cannot be right. I know Rofirein will guide me to the right person when I am ready. I guess the years take their toll and it would be nice to coem home some days and talk to another person who shares your life with you. I know I talk to Rofirein all the time but sometimes...it would be nice for some company.  But then I think on all that I still have yet to do and the responsibility upon me to follow the will of the Dragon and I wonder if there is a place yet in my life to share with another. Perhaps there is not which is why my heart cannot decide. It is not ready for such enlightenment from Rofirein.

You will recall I sent a missive to Prantz about Hurm, I received no reply and yet I did. I seems that something is happening at the Cathedral it just has not been communicated yet to the rest of the faithful. Something needs to happen soon, somethng positive. Is this the test of faith that Rofirein is putting before his followers...? I do not know. But I do know this. The Cathedral would not have remained so quiet for this long unless in dire trouble. Yet with Broeger controlling Prantz its difficult to get any real information out of there. It may be time soon for a direct engagement of the Cathedral. Time will tell.

Your Loving Son,
Tarradon Duvall

Dezza

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2006, 10:25:23 pm »
Dear Mother and Father,
I guess by now you have heard of the mess down in Rilara. I plan to head down there soon to take stock of whats going on. The place has been slowly spiralling down for a while after the war with Blood finished. With no real leadership I fear it will descend into civil war or at the very least it will break up into various domains fighting for control. I am not sure what role the Knights may have there but I think a sizable force would be required to bring order to the chaos at present.

I have taken this moment to write since I was recently reflecting on my life so far, what I have accomplished, what I have taken part in and what I want to do for the future. I was speaking with a priestess of the Faith, Serissa, who is of late having difficulty finding her way. We spoke at length about Rofirein, about his will and various other religious matters. I think that I have helped her find comfort and solace within herself. She is experiencing much of what I also felt at one time before I truly encountered the will of the Great Dragon and answered his call.

I was also reflecting because I feel that the trials and tribulations, the highs and the lows of my life are slowly catching up to me. I feel more and more dedicated to the cause of Rofirein every day, i feel closer to the Great Dragon than I have ever felt. I just pray that I have time to finish the things in my life here that I want to complete before its time to join him. Dont worry I am not going anywhere just yet..but I serve knowing that any day may be the one when Rofirein calls me to him finally.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you both dearly and that my thoughts are always with you.

Light of the Dragon be with you,
Your loving son,
Tarradon Duvall

Dezza

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 03:22:34 pm »
Dear Mother and Father,
Success comes fleetingly so when it does one must grasp it with both hands and make the most of it for it will sustain you through the longer darker times. Word returned from Prantz and the cathedral. They have agreed for Healer Reus the Residing Judge of the temple in Fort Velensk to preside over the initiation ceremony to enlist more knights. The Knight Commander of the Mistone Chapter is returning from Prantz with a member of the Keeper's office to also officiate. it is a glorious day.

The only downside of this is that I have been summoned to the Cathedral in Pranzt at the time the initiations are to take place. Why? I do not know but I am to report to the Office of the Principium when I arrive. I can only surmise that this is in relation to the discovery and subsequent destroying of the Prytechon crafted statue recently found in the temple in Velensk. Beyond this I can see no reason for the summons. Time will tell.

Much has happened of late and I feel myself becoming worn by the constant trials and obstacles to overcome. I do not know what the future holds. I leave that in the hands of Rofirein and I try to spend every day involved in doing his work, in bringing peace and harmony through law and order to the good people of the lands.

While I see much that is going wrong in the world I know we must never give up hope, that we must continue to strive for order and bring the laws of the common man to the heart of all. Such is my goal.

My blessings to you and father and to my brothers and their families. I shall try to return home soon.

Light of the Dragon be with you,

Your Loving son,
Tarradon Duvall