The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: The hypocrisy of law, right through might  (Read 373 times)

thedagda

The hypocrisy of law, right through might
« on: October 06, 2011, 03:47:27 pm »
//bio for reference
Name: Leathan Lampter
Race: Human
Class: Wizard
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Deity: none

Description:
Unkept dirty blonde hair hangs to the shoulders of this lean, nearly six  foot tall man.  The wrinkles around his green eyes suggest either years  of over indulgences or sleepless nights.  He has a calm demeanor and a  relaxed stance, possibly indicating confidence or apathy.

Bio:

Sipping on a mug of apple juice in The Bullseye Inn, Leathan glances to  the man next to him "This is Center you say?  I haven't been in these  parts in years it seems."  He winces a bit and rubs the faint, fading  remnant of a rope burn on his neck.  "Funny story how I got here,  quicker then walking, but I wouldn't recommend it. Woke up laying in  those blood red flowers that circle that big stone out back. Pardon me I  should start from the beginning. It all began when I was waiting in  that blasted cold cell and I heard the bells start to toll.  That sound  gets a man to thinking 'bout what he's done and what he ain't done.   Tried to lead a good life, ain't never hurt no one intentionally."  He  shakes his head slowly and continues on "I know those gallows are  waiting for me, now all a man can do is wait for the final stroke of the  bells.  And as the last bell rings signifying the sixth hour past noon,  the guards march me out through the streets.  The onlookers, the  cheers, the jeers, it all comes crashing in on you.  My life ain't  turned out like I had thought all them years ago when I was just  kneehigh to a grasshopper.  Before I know it, I'm standing there and the  noose is being slid over my head.  I tried to plead my innocence once  again but the words just weren't coming. A quick drop and a sudden stop  is all I can tell you about what happened before I woke up out by the  stone." Leathan pauses for a moment to take another sip of juice and  studies the man listening to his tale and mimics his question "Where'd  it happen?  A little village down south in Co'rys, north of Vehl."  

Glancing around the inn quickly, Leathan answers the man's next question  "What'd I do?  I didn't do nothing, except be in the wrong place at the  wrong time.  The constable swore on his mothers grave that it was me  who killed Kranton Weller's daughter, and nothing I said or did could  change their minds.  'Course some coins from the constable helped the  judge make his decision.  Just cause they're the law, don't mean they're  fair or right." Tapping the side of his nose knowingly "Usually the  biggest dung heap in town can be found where the courthouse is. Huh?   How'd I end up in them flowers by the rock?"  He drums his fingers on  the bar as he continues on "Well, near as I can reckon it started back  when I was a small lad and my father was taking me up to Fort Wayfare  for my uncles funeral.  I remember passing through these parts and  seeing those ruins on the stone.  I was always an inquisistive  boy...least that's what Pa always said.  I ran right over and study  those ruins, tracing them, trying to commit them to memory so I could  draw them once we got back home.  Must been my lucky day or just plain  fate that I got lucky enough to get bound to the stone.  I learned years  later those stones can bind a man to it and call him back from the  brink of death.  Not sure if it's worth it or not to tell ya the truth  of it."  He studies the man's reaction as he wets his lips with more  juice.  Nodding as he answers the man's next question "Pa was a  researcher of sorts and he taught me for years.  Mixing different  powders and oils together, how to make a spark with your fingers, making  light from the air, he had me so interested I studied day and night,  trying to learn all he could teach me of the Al'noth."

He glancees around the tavern and leans nearer the man as he lowers his  voice "Now those rofies, I ain't saying they're all bad, they think  they're doing good for the people.  But should a man pay a fine he can't  afford or spend time away from his farm and family in jail for stealing  food to feed his family?  Laws are only as good as those who make them,  and ain't many places I've been that a man ain't bent a law or two for  the better of his family.  Now I ain't saying we let those Corathians or  them dark ears have their way, but you can try to outlaw them all you  want and what's that get you at the end of the day.  A lot of talk and  filth walking the land hiding in disguises.  I say let a man defend his  own as he can and to the pits with the laws.  Most folk do what's right  as it is, they just want to see their family be healthy and hale.  Laws  only take their toll after the fact, a man's gotta have the freedom to  act in the moment and protect what's his. If you don't let the bugger  get away you never have to track him down to apply their bunk laws."

"Nope, he wasn't no powerful mage or nothing, just a man doing his best  to raise a family.  He knew enough of working with the Al'noth to earn a  decent living, we weren't rich by any means, but Pa always found a way  to get me enough books to learn how to weave the Al'noth.  Over the  years after Pa's death, I kept up on my studies."  Let's out a long,  quiet sigh "Little good it did me.  A few lies, a bag of coins was all  it took to best all my studying.  I coulda tried using what I know to  help me escape, but I ain't one for killing those who don't deserve it.   Even the constable and judge, while I ain't liking them much, I'll see  them deposed, embarrassed, humiliated, not killed.  I've spent the last  fifteen years studying what my father was teaching me about the Al'noth,  whether it was with him when he was alive or with his books after his  passing.  I've learned enough to know that I want to learn more.  That's  the only way I'll be able to best Constable Harnel and Judge Welton.   But I will get my revenge." Leathan winks at the man and stands with a  groan, muttering as he turns to head up the stairs to his room for the  night "I got to find a better way to travel."

thedagda

Re: The hypocrisy of law, right through might
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 04:16:58 pm »
Leathan dabs his quill into the ink pot and hesitates briefly looking over the blank pages of his journal.  With a quiet sigh, he puts the tip to the pristine page and begins his writings.

Such an abrupt and sudden journey to Center.  Whilst I do recall traveling through the area as a boy, it has changed a great deal.  It is good to see areas improving after all this world has endured.  But the people, all new acquaintances, are the most intriguing.  Many stone bound souls pass through the trading post.  One of the more interesting fellows I have encountered claims himself a Knight Captain in the ranks of Rofirein.  His companions seem willing to accept this as fact.  And whilst he does have the arrogance of a lawman, I still hold my doubts.  I have yet to engage him on points of law, even though he has inquired to my skepticism of the law.  He has found the most inopportune times to have a civil debate.  Invading others habitats for the minerals and ores found there is not a time for a gentlemans conversation.  Perhaps I will suggest a mug of warmed cider while relaxing around the hearth of an inn.

On the subject of said lawman, one of his associates is quite charismatic.  An elven lady quite capable with her use of blade,bow, and footwork.  Even though she is a guildmate of the aforementioned lawman, they do not seem to be like minded.  She more of a free spirit, not chaining herself in the quagmire of law.  Perhaps there is hope to show the lawman the folly of his ways, if he has companions such as the elf.

He groans slightly and stretches his fingers.  Closing the journal after dusting the ink with sand, he secures it in his bank vault and sets out for the inn and a hot meal.