The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Personal Excerpts from the Tome of Tyeaan  (Read 73 times)

Stephen_Zuckerman

Personal Excerpts from the Tome of Tyeaan
« on: August 16, 2006, 01:45:44 pm »
Many small, discarded spellbooks turn up occasionally, for those who look. After all, most wizards do not burn thiers when they buy another, larger libram. Tyeaan, a simple linguist, born in Hlint, is one of those who simply sets it in an out-of-the-way corner of a tavern or inn, leaving it for those with the fortune to come across it. Unlike many, however, Tyeaan has never held his spellbook sacred against other writings - it is as much as journal and ledger as it is a book of spells. In many places, it reads like a dictionary, cataloguing terms and grammatical errata from various languages; these sections take up nearly as many pages as the arcane texts of the spells.

It is those journal-like entries, however, which may be of most interest... It is those journal-like entries which show how apt, perhaps, Tyeaan's name is...

----------------

Hlint.

This town has grown and changed much in the years I have been away; few of the folk I once knew remain, and many new arrivals have shown thier faces here. Trade expanded like a blooming flower, and now many master craftsmen call what was once a humble trading post, home. Those Dragoncalled, and those recently come on the Road to Destiny, seem to find Hlint a welcome respite from the outside world, even with the constant incursions of goblins, orcs, and the occasional Baalor or devil.

The people here now are even more astounding than when I left; humans grow and mature so quickly, grasping concepts it might take a longer-lived race decades to understand. There is a human illusionist by name of Rhynn, who for some reason often accompanies a garishly mad grey elf named Mith. While Mith is truly a madman, Rhynn, despite her cynicism, seems a genuinely good person, inasmuch as I am. There is a sorceress, however; a halfling by name of Larissa. She wishes to learn Elvish, and I am teaching her what I know. We typically meet for several hours at least once a week, and her grasp of the language is quite remarkable already.

In exchange, she is teaching me what she knows of necromancy, a fascinating art. I recently purchased a scroll of Animate Dead, but it is far to complex for me to prepare at this time. Further study, I hope, will change this.

*The entry is left off almost abruptly, followed by a list of notes on the animation of unliving objects.*

Stephen_Zuckerman

Re: Personal Excerpts from the Tome of Tyeaan
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 07:17:29 pm »
//Reminder: Afela = Ebony. Th'azta = Shade. ;) For you CDT readers, this is your official foreshadowing/teaser.

anything