The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: The Nature of Balance - Caius's Journal  (Read 52 times)

Talen

• Druids
    • Followers of Kithairein
    • View Profile
The Nature of Balance - Caius's Journal
« on: September 28, 2006, 11:41:04 pm »
As a druid I must speak for nature, but I also must try to seek, and promote, balance.
Since I have been in and around Hlint, I have seen many acts of good, but, by and large, many more evil than good.

I have seen orcs and goblins, generally thought of as evil,  go out of their way to help strangers in need. But, also, though it pains me somewhat to say it, I have seen paladins, supposed warriors for law and good go out of their way to slaughter entire tribes of goblin and ogres purely for personal profit. They make a desert and call it peace! These do not strike me as acts of good. Or even acts of neutrality or balance. These are evil acts.

Perhaps I just do not know. I do not know the precepts of Toran. Perhaps he does call his people to engage in wholesale slaughter in his name. But don't these so called 'monsters' deserve a voice as well? I am not the one for this task. I would slay them as well, in my own defence or the defence of someone I cared for. But there must be balance.

These things do raid settlements and kill innocents, but I believe their settlements are raided and they are killed FAR more often. I must think about this further. Perhaps there is someone I can discuss it with.

Talen

• Druids
    • Followers of Kithairein
    • View Profile
Re: The Nature of Balance - Caius's Journal
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 05:49:27 pm »
Balance.

Do I seek balance within myself and let those around me tend to their own affairs? Do I assist who I must to try to ensure that neither of the extremes of good or evil achieve victory? I believe that I would be alone in this task, for it seems that the majority of the people here believe they are good whatever their actions show. Perhaps the problem is that these so-called 'evil' races have no rights under the law. Could it be that the people's views of right and wrong are solely based in law and not in morality?
Is evil thorough ignorance still evil?
I believe it is.

anything