The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: The training of Jet  (Read 214 times)

Ne'er

The training of Jet
« on: August 17, 2005, 06:01:00 am »
I remember most of my training, most of the lessons that Tyde had taught me. He showed my how to use a sword, how to fight with a true mastery of the blade. Now that I must face him, I feel I must reflect on my lessons and a push my training to higher level than even Tyde could go. I still remember the first lesson clearly…

My life had just been spared by Tyde. The warrior told that he saw usefulness in me. At the time, I didn’t care, as long as I was alive. Now I sat on a bench, next to the small house that served as the current base for the Crimson Blades. Tyde approached me, a katana in each hand. I thought he had come to kill me, that he had for some reason changed his mind. “Stand” He told me. I got up on my feet. I left my head done. My legs were shaking terribly. I knew that I was about to die.

He shoved the handle of the katana into my hand. I looked up at him surprised. “I intend to train you, Jet. To teach you our ways. You seem a strong and capable man, and you have observed our fighting style for over a month now.” I didn’t know how to feel. These men had kidnapped me, and now I was supposed to become one? This feeling did not last for long though. My options were death, or survival. I chose survival.

“B-but I have never used a sword before Tyde.” I said. I had heard others refer to him as master Tyde around camp. I simply did not feel obligated to call this man master. “You have made your first mistake already. I shall be addressed as Master Tyde. I am your superior, and shall be treated as such.” His voice was stern.  “It is important to recognize your superiors Jet. You may learn much from them. The are far more skilled than you, and should be treated as such.” I despised him even more now. He was arrogant, but there was nothing I could do about it. I simply followed his instructions.

For the next few years he would teach me the art of swordplay, and I would bow down to him as master. Even now, after I have turned against him, I still think of him as master. But no matter how hard I try, he shall remain my master, my superior, until I can prove him otherwise…

Ne'er

RE: The training of Jet
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 07:39:00 am »
Throughout the next months Tyde taught me the proper way to hold and use my katana. He taught me to dodge blows as well as how to make those that hit me less serious. I was given a katana to fight with, and an armplate to serve as a shield. Tyde had said that the mainfocus of our fighting style was to keep our swordarm mobile, and our free arm empty to focus on deflect blows. I have chosen against this method, as I now use a smaller katana in my other hand. The smaller blade is good for quick counter attacks, just after the arm has absorbed a blow. But there was more to the training than the grip on my sword or the fighting stance I was in.

"Any strong arm can hold a sword, and anyone with quick feet can dodge a blow. However, only when these two are combined, along with a stable mind, is a ture warrior created." This was Tyde's second true lesson. The day that he taught me this was cold, as almost everday was in the mountains. I had walked to the training ground, katana and arm plate ready. Tyde told me to come at him with everything I had. I entered my combat stance at let it at him. I tired every move he had taught me, but I could not land a hit on him. I began to hesitate, I was unsure of where to find the next the opening adn began to hesitate with my attacks. I then felt a searing pain in my swordarm. While of where to strike, Tyde had struck my arm, fortunatley very lightly. He laughed at my pained expression. "You hesitate because you fear defeat. You cannot find an opening, simply because you are afraid you won't find one. Cast away these thoughts of fear, and come at me!" I was angry at his words. I came at him, my full strength behind every blow, I stop thinking about the opening, and only thought of hurting my master.Again, my arm was in pain, another slah from Tyde. Only this time he was laughing. "Your anger fails you, Jet. You do not pay attention to the training at all, only your target. Cast your emotions aside. Forget anger, fear, or compassion for your enemy. Think of only your blade, and your opponent. Now go back to the camp and bandage your arm."

Cast aside my emotions was difficult for me. Throughtout my training I had struggled with it, although eventually I gained a degree of control of anger and fear. But my compassion for the enemy, the one I would eventually learn the most about, I could not let go of. As I reflect now, I realize that this training will be essential to stopping my master...

Ne'er

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 05:52:00 pm »
The next few months Tyde focused on getting me to put my emotions aside. He was making incredibly progress. The fear and anger that would swell up inside me in the heat of combat was dissappearing. My swordsmanship improved as well. It was as if my blade was becoming a part of me. But again Tyde tested me, this time playing on a larger fear. One that, until then, I felt was impossible to overcome.

It started off as a simple bit of sparring between us. He was testing the different skills I had learned over the past few weeks. Then a well placed blow forced my blade from my hand. He followed the blow up with a swing to my neck. I closed my eyes...

When I opened them Tyde was standing there smiling, while the blade was barely pressing against my skin. I did not know what to say, what to think. "Had I not so much control over my katana, you would be dead, Jet." He pulled the blade away from my neck. "You were afraid, Jet. Tell me, what is it that you were afraid of?" I stared into his eyes, unsure of how to respond. "Death Jet. It is death you fear." I nodded slowly. Of course I was afraid of death, who wouldn't be? "Toss your fear aside Jet. Accept the fact that you will die. After all, death is inevitable. What does it matter if it happens to you now or when you are old?" There was sense in what he said. At the time I could not believe what I was hearing, but it eventually sank in better, and I began to understand.

"If you are not afraid of death, the enemy will know fear unlike any other. They will see you coming, and when you are not detered by your wounds they will be unsure of how to fight you. Cast aside this fear, Jet, permanently. Do not be held down by mortal fears." The words of the lesson ring in my head even now. My fear of death is aside me now, and as Tyde said it proves to be very useful. I will show Tyde that I am not afraid when the time comes...

Ne'er

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 01:41:00 pm »
The Crimson Blades have always used strictly one blade. We use the heavily plated left arm in order to block incoming attacks. We are trained to focus on our blade and only our blade... to cast all other thoughts aside. However, I have differed from the path of the Crimson Blades. I still wear the armor, yes, but I fight differently. I have begun using a smaller katana in my armored hand. While this makes it more difficult to block incoming attacks, I have become quite adept at fighting with two weapons. I have seen others using shields in combat. WHile they fight well with them, the thought never crossed my mind to use one until today...

Today, while traveling near the Far Reach Forest, I encountered a mighty warrior, named Derrick. After observing me fight, he said that I should invest in a shield. He demostrated the usefullness of a shield to me, and I gave in. He gave me a shield to practice with, and it is quite a nice shield. I have done a little training with it, but I still feel awkward fighting with an extra 20 lbs or so on my arm. Still, the shield has proven very useful and has saved my many grievious wounds.

When I told Derrick that I had to focus on my weapon, he told me otherwise. He saide that I must not focus on it, but to instead become the blade. I shall take his advice to heart, as he is as good as, if not better than my master. Master Tyde will be surprised to see me with my new fighting style... and when he is surprised, he will be unprepared to face me.

Ne'er

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 03:43:00 am »
Again I ran into Derrick, this time amidst a swarm of massive spiders. We he fought it was like a dance. He spun around, striking all the spiders standing next to him. He calls this move the 'spinning death'. Tyde tried to teach it to me, but I still have yet to master it, and be able to put it to practice...

"You have gained much skill since we started, Jet." I nodded bck to Tyde, I had learned much from the first 3 years I had spent with him. "You are becoming formidable in one on one combat. But I wonder how well you will last with more than one opponent?" I looked around. Four of the other warriors walked in, each from the different entrances of the room. They surrounded me, and drew their blades. "Show me your skills Jet. Show me what I have taught you." He smiled and then rose his hand, giving the order for them to begin attacking me. I was easily overpowered. I tried as best as I could to simply block their attacks, but to no avail. I was taking many hard blows, and had little opportunity to strike back. It then came to me... a move that I had seen Tyde trying to teach the others while I was imprisoned. I lashed out in a spinning attack, but then I tripped and fell to the ground. "Stop." Tyde said calmly. The others withdrew themselves from combat, and Tyde walked over to. I was bleeding in many places, and bruised pretty bad. I looked up at him and he smiled. "You try to perform a move far beyond your skill level. It was brave, but it would get you killed in a real fight." I looked back at him and said "But I would have died had I not used the move!" He just looked back at me and said "That is why you must master it." I brought myself up from the ground and looked around. Iric, one of the Crimson Blades who had been involved in that fight had a massive cut on hi arm, one I had given him in my attack. HE just glared at me... we never spoke to each other after that fight.

Derrick it seems has become a master of his blades... more so than even Tyde mastered his katana. Derrick for some reason chose the longsword for his weapon, although he mentioned that perhaps the longsword chose him. That is something I must think about. Perhap sit is my fate t wield the katana, and all these years I have been under the impression that I live and wield my blade at the whim of one man have been an illusion. I will learn one day... I will master the blade, and I will confront my master.

Ne'er

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 05:06:00 pm »
I have mastered the spinning death... it came with much practice, but it will prove to be useful and worth all the hard work. As Derrick showed me, it works best with a shield. Already many foes have fallen by this new technique, and many more will join them.

The time has almost come, the time to fight my master... to face Tyde once and for all. My skill has improved considerably, as has my equipment. I will use the new stances i have practiced to catch him off guard. He will not expect my fighting style to have evolved. I think it is time that reflect on my final lesson, my final test.

I was woken by Tyde early in the morning. The previous night I had been left behind while the others, the 'full members', performed a raid. Tyde led me out of the camp and into a clearing in the mountains. The morning was cold, but i had become used to the temperatue of the mountains. The trip took an hour or so... not a word was spoken during that time. When I arrived in the clearing, I saw a man bound and blindfolded. I reconized him immediatly... it was Saern. Saern was the best warrior in the group, with the only exception being Tyde. I was wondering what was going on, when Tyde handed me my katana. I looked at him confused. "Kill him" he said. I could not believe it... how could he expect me to kill one of our own. i looked at him and said, "But why Tyde? What has he done?" Tyde looked down at me. "He has dishonored us. He refused to slay one of the witnesses. He showed mercy..." I was utterly confused. Saern had violated the code, but I was not sure he deserved death. "It was a child Tyde... I could not bring harm to him. He reminded me of my son!" Saern yelled. Tyde responed to him by kicking him hard in the gut. "Silence worm" he said. Then he looked back to me. "This is your final test, Jet. Finish Saern, and you will be a full member." I was still unsure of what to do... I held my blade up to Saern's neck, and then pulled back to swing... but I could not. I could not kill this helpless man. My katana clanged as it hit the ground. Tyde did not look surprised by my choice. "I... cannot do it Tyde." Saern breathed a sigh of relief. Suddenly, in one full motion, Tyde drew his blade and struck Saern, taking his head off.  I could not breath for a moment. "You are weakened by your compassion and sympathy for your enemy. It will go away with time. After all, a warrior that knows his only weakness, has none." Tyde was walking away now. I looked over my shoulder unable to follow. Without even turning around, he said "Welcome to the Crimson Blades, Jet. Your first raid is tomorrow." I slowly began to follow him...

Thinking back on this I feel that I acted out of cowardice. i should not have followed tyde, not after he killed Saern. I knew he was a murderer at that point, but I procceeded with my initiation anyway. i had no where else to turn... but this will not happen again. I have friends now. I have people who care about me, people who love me. I cannot let them down. I cannot allow myself to be haunted by Tyde any longer. I must find him. I must defeat him. I have never been more sure of this.

The time has come. My final test awaits.

Ne'er

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 02:14:00 pm »
I have not had the chance to reflect upon my training in awhile. Other matters have distracted me, issues that I should not have let bother me, but yet they do. Many of my friends are engaged, and I am glad that they have found Ilsare's blessing. Friends have come and left, and others have changed from  who I thought they were. I hope I am beyond those issues now, as my training now requires absolute focus.

Brigg has been training me here on Krashnir, and he is indeed the finest swordsman I have ever seen. His technique is near-perfect, and his only limitations are his age and his injury. Already I have learned much from him, and I feel I am growing closer to both him and his daughter Danyalla. They feel like family to me, and I do find myself enjoying the times we are not training out here.

Brigg's main goal for me is to get me to focus and to cast off my emotions completely in battle. I still have trouble with this, but I am willing to learn if it will help me to defeat Tyde in the end. He is showing me a way to concentrate all my power into a single blow, as well as many different stances with the blade that I was unware existed. By the time my training is complete, I feel i will be ready enough to battle with Tyde.

Ne'er

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 04:00:00 pm »
I could feel it today.

I felt the unity with my blade, I felt the blade as if it were not an extension of myself, but rather that it was myself. It felt awkward at first, but I have finally learned how to unify wyself with my blade. It takes energy, energy which I do not have enough of at the moment, but I will grow stronger with practice. I felt the full force of my body behind my blows, I felt the blade glide around my enemies protections as easily as it was for me to walk. I felt the unity of myself, and my blade.

Brigg's hard training clearly brought me to this point. The months we spent training in Krashnar have paid off, but I still have a long way to go. Drouge and Tyde would still like to see me dead, and they would not care whether or not I have mastered my blade. So my training will continue, now even harder then before. My goal is in sight, and now I must put forth the effort to bring myself there. The next months or even years will require intense training, but it will all be needed to face Tyde in the end. I must prepare both body and mind for this.

This battle is inevitable. I must just be ready when it comes.

Ne'er

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 09:03:00 am »
It has been too long in between my reflections. My progress with the blade is slow, but I am becoming more skilled as the days go on. I am practicing new moves and stances, and soon enough I feel I will be ready to master some of these.

I have come to Dregar, a land that I was warned was filled with danger. The warnings were not false, and there are many beasts here that are dangerous. I have become fond of the desert though. There is no better place to lose yourself. Nothing around for miles, nothing but the sand and the rocks. I do like it here. It is reminds me of Lar...

But this is not my reason for reflecting. I finally feel as if Ilsare has blessed me. I feel love for another and it is returned. It is a feeling that people have lived for, and people have died for. I know what Vivian always speaks, even more so than ever. I feel my prayers becoming stronger, and my dreams become more pleasant. I will have more time to think here, and I plan to stay here for awhile, at least until a large progression in my training has been made. Love, war, and training occupy my thoughts. And I have been thinking more... more about my life.

I am a killer. I make the tools for killing. Without war, I have no livelyhood. So until I die, I will be killing. It is something that I need to accept though... I just need to find out how.

Ne'er

Re: The training of Jet
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 06:29:47 pm »
**a gust of wind blows the sand off the tip of a dune. Jet glances up for a second then returns his gaze back to the sky**

Lying here, things feel different. Things are different.

Never had I seen things turning out like this. Nine years... it seems like so long ago. Nine years ago I would have imagined myself working as a dock hand or maybe signing on to the crew of a ship. Either way, I would have been living quietly, living in peace, and possibly having a family. But times have changed. Instead I am hear, in the desert, alone in person, but never alone in spirit.

It makes me wonder though... would i be as happy as I am now if it hadn't been for Tyde? If Tyde hadn't put me through hell, would I have been able to find this heaven? First I discovered what love is, and now love itself. But in order to get there I needed to find hate....

Ten years ago, would I have pictured myself lying in the sand in Saudiria, looking up at the night sky? Would I have dreamed that I would have seen a large portion of the world, and fought alongside some of the most well-known people in the world? COuld I have ever imagined that I would fall in love while I was still in the process of training to face the man I hate more than anything else?

My life has been almost like an ongoing battle. At first there was no hope, no dreams, just constant fighting against it. It seems I had to only be wrapped in the darkness for awhile before I could truly know what the light was....

**the wind blows by again, this time kicking up a large amount of dust with it. Jet leans up and looks around, deciding it would be best for him to return to the town of Saudiria before the duststorm got bad**

Ne'er

Re: The training of Jet
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 11:28:53 am »
**Jet stands overlooking the area that was once Stone. He looks over the carnage then wanders away from the town where he came across Jade**

"Jet... was Stone reclaimed?"

"No, we managed to rescue the survivors but in the end we could not hold out against the reinforcements."

"Oh. THat is unfortunate. Thank you for the update, Jet.
"

**Jet then wanders back up to look over what was once Stone**

Why Stone? Such a small, out of the way town. I had passed through it many times, paying little mind to its presence. But then it was attacked. Then things changed for all of its inhabitants. But... why would someone want to even attack the town? A base to launch further attacks? Was there something important that was in Stone? The gnomes we saved knew nothing...

It was a harsh battle, one that nearly claimed all of our lives. I have seen beasts more powerful than I had thought possible. And these creatures are merely servants for another, greater power. It only shows that together the fight will be difficult, but alone it will be impossible. We have to work together. We have to fight the same way we did at Stone.

So what happens next? Will Blood and Milara strike elsewhere? Of course they will... and we will be there to fight them. We haveshown them we are not going down without a fight, and we will fight to our last breath. Even in Stone there were those of us who were willing to fight the reinforcements, were willing to face whatever would come our way. I would have fought if my comrades chose to. I would have stay until the end.

While it may have been the end for Stone, it is only the beginning. The lesson learned from Stone will hopefully inspire others to take action, to step up and face Blood and Milara. And, hopefully, we can end this all soon.

**after taking one final look around, Jet slips away from his spot and heads back to Point Harbor, careful to avoid any patrols along the way**

Ne'er

A new lesson...
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 12:51:14 pm »
**Jet reaches the top of the peak, and a cold wind blows by and then down into the valley. He looks over the small town of Lar. For a time he called this place home. Now it was simply a memory, a place that he used to go. It had been so long since he last had visited. He sets his pack down beside him, and removes a small rose from the pack. Jet then stares at theflower for some time...**

Love. So long ago I was told it would be the cause of my downfall. That it would be my fatal flaw, and that one day I would let love and my other emotions get the better of me in combat. I did not believe it at the time, and as always I stubbornly refused to listen.

And then I was told that my love was a virtue, a virtue that would set me aside from the other warriors. Warriors that killed without a second thought. Warriors like my old comrades. I quickly embraced this. I followed my hope that this would be right, and believed wholeheartedly that my love would guide and control me.

**another cold wind blows by, and the rose sways in the wind**

Today I see the flaws in both concepts. If I only listened to Tyde, I would have followed only raw combat instincts. I would not fight for a purpose. The lives that I would take would have no meaning. I would have no reason behind my actions. In the end, I would be no worse than those that I have escaped from, and I would be abandoning those that I wronged so many years ago.

But... at the same time I cannot fully ignore Tyde's lesson. I cannot let my emotions control. Vivian's lesson was one meant for a fairy tale. I cannot let my emotions control myself, and I cannot let love be my sole factor for making my descions. Survival has its merits, and without the ability to survive and right the wrongs I have committed then I would also be abandoning those that I did not help when they needed me most. I would be useless in the end. I realize now that no one is going to save me but me.

As of today I say good-bye to that dream-world I once thought I was in. Today I have taught myself the lesson, instead of relying on guidance from others. Today I emerge as a man not shaped by others will, but instead having made his own decisions.

**He tosses the rose to the snow-covered ground**

This will be a new start for me. A new way for me to find my redemption, and my peace. It will be another battle, another struggle, but in the end I will prevail.

Tyde will meet my blades yet, and when he does he will be facing a warrior that is not one who has been shaped by him, nor one who has rejected him. Instead he will be facing a warrior. One who is ready to be done with his vendetta, and one who has shaped himself into the warrior that he wants to be. There will be no fear in my eyes this time, Tyde. There is no place left in me for fear.

**Jet slowly turns around and begins his decent down the mountain as the rose is gradually covered by snow.**

"Good-bye"

**As Jet leaves sight of the rose, it continues to be covered with snow. Finally, the rose dissappers, erased by the snow, as if it was never truly there. All that is left is the wind howling**

Ne'er

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 06:09:29 am »
**After several days of trudging through the Greypeak mountains, Jet finally stops and nearly collapses to the ground from exhaustion, landing on a snow covered hillside. He lies staring off into the darkening sky, and again finds himself reflecting on and remembering the days of his training**

"Stand"

It was the only thing Tyde had told me that morning. I did not know what to expect. Iric had fetched me from my bunk that morning, before teh sun was even up, and told me I would see Tyde in the training hall. I remember the hate for me in Iric's voice. He had never had any love for my prescence in the camp, and had it been up to him I would have been killed on the very day I was meant to be.

Tyde held up a cloth. "Put this on." He wasn't even looking at me. I was unsure what his intentions were that day, and I hesitated. "Put the blindfold on, Jet." He repeated again. This time I took the blindfold and wrapped it around my head.

"Now" he said "Stike me. Strike me before I strike you."

I reached for my sword, but I was nervous and I fumbled with it. Tyde could have been anywhere at this point, and i looked around frantically, as if I had hopped I would be able to see better if I looked around more. I struck out randomly, and then returned to a defensive stance, only to feeling a pain in my back.

The pain burned in my back, and it was followed by a sigh and Tyde's voice. "Remove the blindfold Jet." So I did.

"You rely far too much on your sight Jet. Far too much on your ability to see and know your enemy. A true warrior will rise above that dependance. Instead they fight as if they have transcended their senses. Sight and sound do not matter. They will be able to almost feel the prescence of an enemy. They will feel their movements, and anticipate their actions."

I simply nodded.

"Your mind is filled with doubt, I imagine. All you're life you have been able to see, and you have become dependant on this. As with your other emotions, you must through doubt to the winds, Jet. It is a weakness, one that will kill even the strongest of men."

"Then what do I rely on? Faith?" I replied.

"No, faith too is a weakness. You cannot hope that your swords will hit their target, just as you cannot doubt that they will. Instead, you must know. Rely on your skill and your stength. Leave nothing to your emotions, as they will betray and leave you far sooner than your skill will."

He then grabbed the blindfold from me, and put it on his own head. "Feel the enemy, Jet. And then strike at them." He then entered a defensive position, and I followed his lead, entering one as well.

I began to circle around him, and he followed my movement exactly. It was amazing, in its own sense. I then moved around the other way, hoping to through him off. Tyde simply stopped and held his position straight ahead. I knew I had him, he could not tell where it was I stood. I lashed out, attempting to land a blow in his back, similar to the one that he had given me.

But the blow never landed. Tyde spun himself around as fast as lighting, deflecting the blow with his blade and following it up with a kick into my chin. The force of the blow knocked me back several feet onto me back. I could here Iric laugh from the other side of the hall. Tyde walked over to me, still blindfolded.

"Feel your enemy. Forget your doubt. Otherwise you will be killed." He then removed his blindfold and left the hall. I was left lying on my back, winded from the training.

**Jet sits up at this point, and digs through his backpack, pulling out a strip of cloth. He then placed the blindfold around his head and stood up, still tired from his trip. For the next few hours, he found himself training, and mastering a technique that Tyde had tried to teach him 9 years ago.**

Ne'er

Return from the Mountains
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 05:00:59 pm »
**The door to 109 Hlint bursts open again, and slowly in walks an older, more mature figure. His red armor is no stranger within this house, yet it has not been seen in a few years. The town is different, yet the same. A lot has changed, yet the people continue on as they have always. The man collapses to the bed in his room, removes the plates on his armor, and simply lies there. The air is cold on his flesh, but the feeling of cold is different for him. He has felt cold, and no more does a simple chill bother him.**

It has been sometime since I have seen the walls of Hlint, the walls I once called home and sought protection and shelter within. It's interesting... I can hardly recall my first steps within these walls. I hardly remember that day. The blood-soaked armor, my broken sword, and the wounds I still carry today. The start of a fight I still fight, and the reason for my retreat to the mountains...

Rumors had begun to surface about the Crimson Blades, a sign that something was wrong with them. After all, the secrecy they used was key to their success in their plans. These rumors still remained vague, with few names and places mentioned. But nonetheless, they were a start.

Despite what others had promised me, I knew that I was alone in this search to face Tyde and the others. The battle was mine, and mine alone. I vowed that I would defeat him, and I would not fully rest until I did so. Perhaps that sounds bloodthirsty, perhaps a childish goal. But he is my opponent, and I will defeat him.

As strange as it seems though, it was not rumors of the Crimson Blades or Tyde that lead me out of the towns and into the mountains. In fact, I had heard talk of a man named Iric Corvalant... a name I had become familiar with.

Iric was a favorite of Tyde... or at least he was until I came along. Iric had no kindness in his heart. He would kill any and all who stood in his way. He kept mostly to himself, but it was only through chance I had once heard him brag about his family background, that his father was a prominent slaver working out of Saudiria. I later learned that the slave industry his father ran had been broken up and destroyed in a slave revolt. This was likely his reason for signing on with the Blades. He had connections with the slavers, and he had the killer instinct to fight like a true Blade.

Iric was apparently still sing his old influence to get things though. It was again by chance I had overheard something in Saudiria about the old Corvalant kid coming and making large orders of goods to be delivered to Dalanthar. Curious, I took a look into this myself. I found that Iric was, indeed, moving goods through the mountains near Dalanthar, not far from the Great Rift itself.

I set up a camp for myself within the mountains. I could not bring others with me; I did not wish to endanger those that I cared for. Already I had created a living hell for others without my meaning to; I refused to allow that to happen again. My hope was to monitor what Iric was doing and perhaps perpare a good ambush to catch him off guard and learn Tyde's location, in hopes that this feud could end once and for all.

I withstood the weather and survived the wildlife for those few years. And while the summer was perhaps tolerable, the winters were brutal and many times I considered leaving my course and allowing Iric to get away. But I held my ground, and dealt with the harsh storms and bitter cold of the winter. I wanted to end it so bad, I could taste it.

After what must have been three years of cold, storms, and eating the few plants and animals I could find, a great storm hit the mountains. The snow was piled high, and I found many of the old passes were now blocked. Iric's trail was gone, and I was left in the freezing cold. Defeated, I returned to Dalanthar.

The townsfolk said I looked dead... and perhaps I did. I cleaned myself up and set back towards that place where this had all began. I needed a fresh start. So again, my training starts, and my hunt enters its next chapter. Perhaps I am no closer than before, but my determination, my spirit, and my hope remains as strong as ever. And when the moment comes, that is what will make the difference. If Tyde is not yet scared, then perhaps he should be...

**Jet rolls over on his side, glancing briefly at his red plate armor, and then at his sword... the soft red glow illuminated the room. Perhaps a day would come where that armor would be a memory, and not a promise to himself. Perhaps Jet would prove himself to be the warrior that Tyde had tried to build him to be, yet he would be the man Vivian, Ireth, Rose, Derrick, and so many others had taught to be. Again, Jet rolled over, but this time with a different intention. Jet closed  his eyes, and for the first itme in three years slept in his own home again.**

anything