The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Tome of the Scarlet Hawk  (Read 975 times)

Olme

Tome of the Scarlet Hawk
« on: September 12, 2005, 06:11:00 am »
Tome of the Scarlet Hawk - The Journal of Jharl

* A worn and battered leather bound journal.  All the writing has been penned in a neat and careful script. It seems that the writer is either very new to this skill or being very meticulous ..or both*

I have arrived and entered this settlement called Hlint. It is a confusing place with all manner of people about. Such large crowds..and these buildings.. it is all so complicated, but with all these strange folk about there may be much lore to discover here.
I set up camp in some woods north of town, near a great stone tower. The first night I was set upon by an orc warparty.. they exist no more. The Orcs are numerous here as well so I have moved my camp to a more remote location.
I heard of a bounty offered  by the Quartermaster to go skin some goblins that harrass the town . The quartermaster seemed bored by the whole thing..it has been going on for so long it seem...the orcs and goblins are a common sight right up to the gates of town.
The town also has a crypt where they consign the bones of their fallen. Apparrently the dead inside are restless and sometimes become a problem.
I have met many warriors and such of all type but have not befriended any as yet. Some have looked at my hide armor and mumbled something about .."only a bar..bare ee en".. they did not say it with the honor a warrior deserves.

*another entry several days later*

My journey has become a little eaiser now that I remember my voice. Now more often than not, I quietly sing to myself when working, be it chopping wood or just traveling.
The old song of the hunt, and the work song.. They truly make my pack seem lighter and help my spirits.
I have begun to chop wood so that I might be able to craft a fine bow.

*another entry*

I have today met another 'bar bare ee en".. but not from any tribe that is in our lore. Her name is Sy'Ravenne . She has made a long journey to Hlint from across the sea, a place called, I think Dreager. She was summoned from her people to Hlint by a dragon.. I did not tell her I had the same vision. She has been here for many moon cycles.
I had a long talk with this warrior clad in strange rainment. She wields a fine curved sword that the locals call a scimitar. She spoke of  learning yet another strange blade called a katana. Her eyes were on fire as she spoke of being able to wield such a weapon ..could it be that powerful ?
 Later when another came to greet Sy'Ravenne, I began to quietly sing our tribal song of greeting. Sy'Ravenne asked if I were a bard ..I said no, I was a warrior, but one that had a fair voice that I hoped to use to inspire in war and toil. She thought that this was very noble I think, and said I should seek out one called Geir. He has great skill in this.
Sy'Ravenne then enlisted me into a war party . We entered a cavern near to Hlint that has become the home of goblins. There are far fewer of that vermin in there now. It was good to be back on the hunt again, although my new companions fight in strange ways with strange weapons.
One of the members of our war party had black skin and white hair and wielded a great longbow. yes ..it was a drow ..the lore is correct: they do exist and they are more than a tribal legend now. This drow walked openly in Hlint and told me she was friendly..as the Scarlet Hawks always do, I told her that I held no prejudice but would make my personal judgment on her actions. She fought as hard as the rest of the party and this drow, as far as Jharl is concerned is steadfast.

Olme

RE: Tome of the Scarlet Hawk
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 06:45:00 am »
I met a traveller today by the name of Ifion Witseeker. Ifion said that he is a bard. Ifion came to Hlint from a place named Calishan... across the sea somewhere.  He has, he said, travelled all through Mistone, collecting information in the service of a diety. He is also a wielder of magic of some sort. He seemed eager to learn of my background and even summoned a hawk when I told him of my clan. A most interesting character.
He also has had the dream of the dragon and told me that many others about Hlint have also.. even if they will never talk about it openly or at all.
Ifion also brought evil tidings though. He said that Sinthar is returning to Mistone with his minions of evil and that strange events were already in motion ...could this be related to the woes that have beset my clan ?
I have also found my voice getting stronger. I found myself singing the 'Song of the Scarlet Hawk' in the midst of a chance encounter with some vermin of the woods. I think that my song made my defense easier...could this be ?.

Olme

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 10:20:00 am »
A bad moment today. while travelling through some woods I was set upon by a spider and ettercap. I quickly killed the ettercap, but the spider would not succumb to any of my blows. I was able to get away and seek some help from some other travellers. They told me that the trouble was mot with my fighting prowess, but that I would need to find a smith who could inlay my weapon with iron. I do not know why this may be, but they seemed trustworthy enough.
 I must seek out a smith and perhaps avoid spiders until I can sort this out..

Olme

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 06:25:00 am »
I have met two people recently that I must make note of. The first is a man from, I think Spellguard named Samir. He is a man of magic, one that the locals would say ‘is in touch with the Weave’. I have traveled with him to far distant Ft. Valensk in the south of Mistone.  He has practiced his arcane arts to my benefit by casting spells that have enhanced my combat abilities and other useful protections. Samir has earned my trust and respect and it is good to know that one with those abilities is behind me when confronted with enemies.  In return , I have provided Samir with little other than companionship and a  song of inspiration. It is good to have company in  journeys as all trips are perilous and the rumors of strange events and sightings continue unabated.

Katrien Hommel is the second person of note. I commissioned her to craft me some rings that might enhance my warrior skills and she did do exactly that at a fair price. But she is more than a mere merchant, she is an accomplished master of all manner of crafts. While examining the rings that she had fashioned for me, I began to sing very quietly, as I often do, “The Song of the Red Hawk.” She was I think, most surprised and wanted to know if I too were a bard. I explained that no, I was a warrior, but that I liked to sing. I also told her I might one day be what my clan calls a Skald, but only if I can learn how to inspire others with my song . I expected scorn or laughter but instead this magnificent woman handed me a mandolin.  “A gift from one performer to another.”  She explained how I could use this instrument to help practice and enhance my voice. This left me speechless, but after she showed me how to work the strings I again found my voice and sang a song as I slowly tried the  mandolin. I think the song was not so good but with time it I  will improve it. Katrien was kind enough to play a beautiful tune on a silver flute. Very inspiring.

In the realm of combat my greatest asset has been when I focus my mind and energy on the task at hand: swinging this fine warhammer of iron at my enemies.  Others have said that at these times that “I fly into a rage”, but to me it is all just a part of  battle. I have also found that many times I can hurl insults at my adversary with good effect as it very often leads to their doom.

A thought. Until now I have always used my singing to put my mind at ease and, in combat, to help in some small way inspire myself and my allies.  I think that I have had some success in this. I wonder if I might also learn to use song to cause my enemies to lose confidence and strike fear in their hearts. This I must explore.
My voice: So powerful whether in a song of inspiration, or taunting my foes. An asset that all have or my gift from the Scarlet Hawk ?

Olme

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 08:20:00 pm »
Nothing startling to report. I have somewhat adjusted to life in these 'civilized' lands. I have been able to use my foraging and hunting skills to good advantage to aquire goods for trade. I have done a bit of mining as necessary although I do not enjoy these dark pits and caverns that always seem to have goblins or kobolds or worse  lurking within.
My fighting abilities are what is keeping me alive..and a song to bolster my morale when needed..and it is needed often. Are all these lands so dangerous by nature or is something more sinister afoot ? After all everyone in Hlint (and all of Mistone) is on edge. Daily rumors of Sinthar and his minions up to no good.
It looks perhaps that the fate of the Scarlet Hawks may be bound up one and the same as all of the peoples of Mistone and beyond.
I must redouble my efforts to secure friends and allies and also to aid the cause of good. If I can inspire warriors through song and deed that may be but a small thing.. but then are not big things made of small things ? Can not the world be made better by these small deeds ?  That is this warriors place.

Olme

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 05:11:00 am »
I have discovered the 'secret' to brewing ale. Lots of recipes to try. This is fun.

Olme

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 05:09:00 am »
Becoming quite skilled at brewing. A major draback to this endeavor is the tendency to immediately consume what has been produced. Occupational hazard I guess.
I have toiling in the dreary mines gathering ore so that I will have material to fletch some fine arrows or bolts. I need to decide which weapon I feel more comfortable with. A bow is nice and light and well suited for those archers but I wonder if I would be better to train on one of those crossbows. They seem to have more power. And on the rare occasions that I use these weapons I'd like each shot to do a lot of damage. Well... try them both I guess.
I have also begun to work with a greatsword. Time will tell if I am suited to this weapon.
I found a diamond on an orc that attacked me. A wizard in town gave me a hefty price for that bauble.
Miss Acacea, a jewel of a person, was kind enough to arrange to have a wizard friend of hers fashion an enchanted amulet for me. It has aided my travels greatly.

Olme

Friends gone away
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 05:30:00 am »
Well a fine longbow it is. I feel very comfortable wielding this bow I fashioned from oak that I harvested myself. A fine bow deserves some fine arrows but the merchants sell only junk. Therefor I have  become quite self sufficient at fletching my own. These I can rely on. Not bad for an occasional archer.
I have also been experimenting with various melee weapons. I have traded in the greatsword I was using and replaced it with something called a falchion. I like this big sword. I can hit hard with it. I have also taken to training with a scimitar. It is a good backup weapon for use when I have need of my shield and must get in close and it is not a big burden to carry. My hammer does not go without use, it is my weapon of choice when confronted with undead.

On a different note, Katrien has left on a great and perilous journey to I know not where. She could not or would not tell me a lot of details about it but I could sense that she was very concerned so I did not trouble her mind further with long explanations. I helped her as best I could, as a friend should, to gather useful supplies for her journey. I do know that her journey is of great significance and that she travels with stalwart companions. I tried to find her before she sailed with a last minute gift but I was too late. I have implored the Spirit of the Scarlet Hawk to watch over her and her companions.

I also got involved with some slave runners. A fighter of small renown around Mistone named Jet has had some of his past catch up with him. A chance encouter with an old man on the waterfront of Port Hampshire led to us tracking down his daughter who was sold into slavery by an evil bandit named Tyde. I helped as I was able to and there was a great need at times to resort to swordwork. A low point came when we were ambushed by a huge group of bandits on Rilara. The Soul Mother did me some permanent harm I fear, but it was for a righteous cause and in the end we rescued the girl, Danyella. Jet has now gone into hiding, I know not where, to further his training under the old man's tutelage. May the Scarlet Hawk aid him as well.

Another person of note that I have met is a student of the weave named Sophia. She, I think, is destined to possess a true mastery of the arcane arts. I enjoy her company. I can on occasion use what she called a cantrip, but I know that when I am able to invoke these 'cantrips', it is a gift of the Scarlet Hawk. Sophia can go way beyond ny meagre abilities. She understands this magic while I know not why. She spent a long time trying to help me be able to make sense of some scrolls. I appreciate her help greatly but I was not able to progress much I think. She also showed me about Pt. Hampshire. It is a massive city and is fascinasting although I feel a bit uneasy here with these crowds of people. Sophia though moves quite gracefully through this city. (but then she always moves gracefully.) To me she seems as much at home here as I do in the wild. I would like to travel with her if possible, if only to see her unleash some of her magical powers. It would be quite a spectacle I am sure.

Olme

Chance Encounters
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 04:55:00 am »
Lots of mining to do. I have decided to wear the Cougar Leather that Katrien made for me a while back. It is a lot easier to wield a pick wearing this instead of the chain.
As I headed through Hlint I happened upon beautiful Sophia near the well. I finally remembered to ask her of this wand I had aquired. She studied it carefully and explained every symbol on it..apparently it is a fairly powerful wand of acid arrows. I know I could wield but I also know I wont. I still trust more in my weapons than things arcane. I left the wand with her to study further or possibly even use.
Next out of nowhere Samir shows up ! The three of us went off to see what Sielwood could offer up for our use. It was a humbling experience. Those two have lots of abilities at their command and I felt a bit of a burden. I even acted foolishly and took on a Render..not the smartest thing to do in light armor.
But it all turned out well in the end despite some terrible moments...and I learned a lesson..stay within your own abilities. They are both good company.

Later in Hlint I was able to sell another batch of ale to someone named Brisbane.  Must get working on some more..
I accompanied Miss Acacea to the crypts to make sure some young fools weren't part of the attractions there. Acacea got to them and healed them just in time. I had to step in and deal with a bunch of the zombies.. Acacea is no one to trifle with it combat. She carrys a nasty looking blade and is smart about tactics. She just needs to remember to bring food and bandages but then.. who plans a picnic in the crypts ?

Olme

On Drow
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 06:44:00 am »
On Drow

Even in my boyhood I heard what little lore my clan possessed concerning this race. When old Thrandor would speak of the drow it was always with a genuine dread and revulsion. Many in our clan dismissed it all as the ramblings of an old man who’s tales had grown with time within his own mind. Indeed it was easy for some to dismiss this, after all Thrandor had never claimed to have met or even seen one and many human generations had passed in our tribe even during his long life...

But I think differently. Lore is preserved for a reason even if one may not perceive why. In such a harsh life in the remote wild, with immediate danger ever present a tale of unimportance would be long forgotten, yet there remained this legend of obsidian elves that Thrandor said were a great evil.

I admit that although I took Thrandor's words seriously it was still only a legend as were the tales of dragons.

But now I have met a dragon and conversed with drow.

I was in Hlint but a few days when I met a drow and as I have already scribed in this journal, even hunted with one. It is not that I disregarded Thrandor's words ...indeed they were foremost in my mind. I may have hunted with one but this hunting trip was different. I had never been so wary of a companion in my life.

The Scarlet Hawks have always had a culture of acceptance. Indeed although I am half elven there was never a stigma attached to being other than human.  Each warrior does his duty and is loyal to the tribe. If ever a judgment is needed it is on this loyalty that it is based. Should not I judge these drow the same?

I think perhaps not. I have met many others in Hlint and throughout my travels of Mistone and every group has their own tale of drow spawned evil. I have even heard whispers that drow attacked Hlint in the recent past. But are not even these folks, who seem to be good by nature, tolerant as are the Scarlet Hawks?  Even now drow walk the streets openly and unchallenged except for some occasional harsh exchange of words.

I recently witnessed such a confrontation firsthand. An elven priestess of the goddess Lucinda named Tia confronted one who thought to travel with a group we had assembled. Tia was uncompromising and unwavering. I perceive that there is great wisdom in her although I know not the specifics of her hatred of drow. Is it personal or dogmatic? Does it matter?

I will implore the Spirit of the Scarlet Hawk for guidance.

Olme

Odds and Ends
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 02:58:00 pm »
I traveled to Ft. Valensk to a meeting of something called the Mistone Alliance. While waiting for the meeting a party of gnomes appeared with some sort of infernal machine that it seems they struggled to master. I am still not sure what they were up to but when their contraption malfunctioned they managed to alter the looks of several of us who were nearby. For a short period I looked like an oversize dwarf. They apparently made some adjustments and soon I was back to my normal appearance. Strange people, these gnomes.

Tia’sar’ru, the priestess, shared a tale of a great venture she is part of.  She has been sent on some expeditions to gather lore that might help in the struggle with Sinthar. She was able to help more than she ever thought possible.   Lucinda has chosen wisely in granting her favor on Tia .

Jet has returned. He looks well if a bit more grim. He has, I think, mastered those Katana he wields.  I witnessed his deadly power with them on a trip to Haven. The trip was not pleasant though as Jet seemed preoccupied and grumbled all the way about Acacea tagging along. I though enjoyed her company in that grim cavern.

Olme

Strange Tidings
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 03:03:00 pm »
Upon my return from Haven, I was approached by a woman that I have not seen before. She had a look of elegance about her and an air of self confidence, yet, at the same time she looked weary and care worn. She told me that we must speak in private and discreetly showed me a small package of documents. A small package sealed with Katrien’s signet.

We headed off to a remote corner of the tower north of Hlint where we could converse. The woman told me that her name was Jacee and that  Katrien had told her where I might be found. I then broke the seal on the package.

It was a most startling piece of news that I read. Katrien had given birth to a child before her departure three long months ago. Katrien had named her child Lisse and even as I read Katrien’s words, Jacee cradled the babe in her arms. Lisse is hauntingly beautiful and bears the likeness of Katrien but is more than human. The child is half-drow.

Jacee’s face said it all. to me it appears that she is no stranger to hardship and adversity. She is strong but clearly worried. She tells me how she saw Katrien off and expected her back long before now. The tearful goodbye as mother left daughter.  So now she has come to me as Katrien had bid her to.

I read on… Katrien says that Lisse has a  gift of sound, music and implores me to help with that. “Sing to Lisse” her words urge. Can I do no less?  So I sing…. I do my best with an old lullaby that I had thought long forgotten. Lisse is clearly moved by this and it even brings the glimmer of a smile to Jacee’s face.
Jacee tells me of further ominous possibilities: Lisse might even be in grave danger from drow or others.  Katrien even kept the birth secret from her husband, a drow named Lar. She tells me that there are others we can turn to for help if the need grows urgent. I am so stunned  that I fail to notice the second scroll. It is Jacee that points it out.

With trepidation I open this second scroll, what news does it contain? But no, not news, a sheet of music that has been carefully transcribed. The text appears ancient and not of a language I can comprehend…most strange.  As I study this sheet further a most amazing thing happens: this music seems to teach itself to me,  infusing  itself into my mind. I can’t explain it but I now KNOW what this music does. As sung,  more of a strange chant than a lilting melody. And then I  understand. Katrien has handed me a weapon. A most powerful weapon. This song has the power to blunt an enemy’s sword, to break a foe's  will, to even kill. This is music of power that I must master. Oh Katrien.

I look up to see Jacee studying me. She is puzzled by the smile I have. I try to explain the power in that melody to her but it is clearly beyond her ken.

But what now? What desperate quest would take a mother from her newborn? What of Lisse and Jacee? Are we all in danger? Can we up live to Katrien’s trust?

So many questions. No answers.

Olme

Waiting
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2005, 06:01:00 am »
Waiting

The time slips by, day following day, and still no word from Katrien.  I am truly worried, but what is to be done?  I go, as often as possible, to sing and play the mandolin for Lisse’. The child seems delighted as soon as I arrive and even now, only months old, seems to anticipate the music. She devours all I can provide and I think that she is making me a better singer. What great gift might this child possess?
 I think Jacee is also happy to see me, to have a break from this great burden she bears. I have true admiration for this woman that I know so little of. She is so ever protective of Lisse’ and provides well for the child.  Katrien chose wisely.

I do not travel far these days, but instead use what time as I find free to work with this mandolin. I have made an occasional trip to Pt. Hampshire out of necessity to buy supplies and escort friends along those perilous roads. I also made a trip to Leilon for a gathering on a holiday.  Kali, of the Leilon Arms, delighted us all with a grand performance on her violin. We then played an impromptu duet, her on violin, I on mandolin. She was kind enough to help me with some new music.

Spellguard

Made a trip to the beautiful city of Spellguard in search of a fine gem that would remove this skin of bark when not needed.  I had the honor of being escorted by one of Lucinda’s chosen which made the trip meaningful. Without my guide, I would have been lost in the crowded marketplace and probably would never had dared to approach the Temple or High Tower. As it was the gem was found in the great Lady’s temple. We then went to tour the beautiful grounds of The Tower. As we relaxed in a quiet garden, the hours slipped away as my guide regaled me with the history of this great tower and city and the sad times it endured at the hands of the drow. I also learned much of Lucinda. My companion worried that I was bored but she misjudged. I was truly fascinated, although I could not fathom how treachery and evil could have marred this great city of Lucinda. All too soon this trip had to end.

Back in Hlint.
Some music to fascinate little Lisse’.
Jacee still has no word.

Waiting

Olme

Reunion
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2005, 09:37:00 am »
News

A few days back as I sat practicing my mandolin, I noticed some faces in Hlint that I have not seen in quite some time.  First Connor and then the one I know only as Syn walked past me. I must have been lost in my music, because it took me many minutes to remember that they had traveled with Katrien.  I was able to locate Syn and he told me the news I had hoped for: Katrien was on her way home. I think I left him so quickly that I did not even say goodbye.  I made my way to Jacee who confirmed what I had heard. She had the situation well in hand and had already made some very practical arrangements.

[Some notes of unimportance here concerning travel arrangements, ship docking schedules, supplies to be purchased etc.]

[More entries scrawled here. They are almost illegible and appear to have been hastily penned.]
Near disaster Greypeaks   Better route?
Bard named ‘Ozy’…Shadison .. Milara …Weave ripped ?  Dungeon of the Eye
Blackford… missed meeting / picnic /get wine
Leilon Arms

Reunion

Katrien and Lisse’ reunited. A wonderful sight that I longed to see for so long. The resemblance of mother and child is striking.  Katrien looks a bit gaunt and exhausted but at the same time serene, content.

It was a meeting of strong emotions than ran the gamut from joy to despair. So much to talk about and so much Katrien felt she wanted to share with me. We talked of the past, the present and even the future. Hours raced by, seeming like mere seconds, as she recounted the harrowing tale of her recent journey. This woman is truly a bard. She can spin words as well as music in a tapestry that envelops you. By words alone, she was able to make me feel as though I was on that journey along side her. But yet I know in my heart that could not be, for all her magic with words, only those who were there could truly understand.

What a great honor she does me, to spend precious time recounting all this to me when she has so much to attend to, so many burdens to bear.

If they need help I will be there.

Olme

Inspired
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2005, 09:58:00 am »
Perhaps Katrien’s saga was the inspiration…

I have set to music some words.
The lyrics are a poem I learned many years ago:

Don’t Quit

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you’re trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit—
Rest if you must, but don’t you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of sometimes learn,
And many a fellow turns about,
When he might have won had he stuck it out.
Don’t give up though the pace seems slow ---
You may succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than
It seems to a faint and faltering man;
Often the struggler has given up
When he might have captured the victor’s cup;
And he learns too late when the night came down,
How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out ---
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
 It may be near when it seems afar;
So stick to the fight when you’re hardest hit,
It’s when things seem worst that you mustn’t quit.

[-- Author unknown]

I am sure Katrien can make it sparkle when she has some time.

---------------------------------------------------------
Rilara. So many supplies I need that can be found only there. I think I must go there soon though I don’t look forward to it.  It can be such a long, lonely journey.

Olme

Rumors of War
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2005, 06:05:00 am »
I now have regular lodgings at the Leilon Arms. It is most strange to have a roof over my head and an actual room to call my own.  I have signed on to help there  by tending bar, brewing and maybe a bit of entertaining. Quin, Kali and especially Derrick have been most kind to me.

Lisse’ is thriving  now that she is back in her mother’s arms. Katrien has all the right words and song ..it is well, amazing. I visit as often as I am able to and send small gifts when I travel.  They are never far from my thoughts.

Mistone has gotten most dangerous of late.  Strange reports of sharp, violent encounters with powerful forces are reported daily. The population is in panic. I answered a call to arms in a desperate defense of Ft. Velensk. The town held but at a dear cost in lives. I have heard also whispers and rumors of troubles in the heavens themselves thus I guess that we can expect no peace while the gods themselves quarrel.

I also fear I have embarked on the most dangerous expedition of my life. I answer this call to adventure as eagerly as I brandish my ax at foes, but in this arena, all my weapons are useless, for I have found passion with one, and yes, even love, and it terrifies me. It was certainly a lust for adventure that dragged me from the Greypeaks, but in that I had some measure of preparation and skill with hammer to deal with danger.  I have no such advantages here. For what can be more dangerous to a man than a woman ? I think it is easier for one to discern the mind of an Umber Hulk than for a man to truly  understand a woman. Provocative, Menacing, Charming. She has long since broken down all my meagre defences. I am honored when she tries to share her goals and aspirations with me, but I think she is dismayed when I counsel caution. My advice comes from the heart though, and is no doubt tainted with the the poor judgement that Ilsare imparts in these matters.

Olme

Events both Great and Small
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2005, 05:06:00 am »
Well all of the worlds’ troubles now seem a lot closer. There is genuine fear and tension throughout the populace of Mistone as rumors of Sinthar and his war machine spread to all quarters.  The Queen has placed all forces on alert and soldiers are now a commonplace sight. The government is collecting supplies for war and I have answered that call by supplying several fine bows I have crafted.

And yet I think it is much worse than we all can know.

Several days ago ..it felt like an earthquake..one moment I was in Hlint, the next at a strange tower with  many others. I was heartened to see Katrien there amongst the group.  A wraith appeared to us and some of us saw four visions. I think we all saw the same visions and that we were seeing four possible futures but I cannot be certain .. Many of us later returned to this tower to converse with this wraith ..He is known as ‘Shifter’ and had some messages for us. Several in the group could converse with him in his language and he warned us of great peril. He showed us yet another vision. ..Sinthar taking control of Roldem.. it was happening as we were seeing it. The Shifter promised us help if we could free his soul .
The key to this is apparently to locate an ancient artifact that seems..well ..out of reach.  After a long heated debate, as to the correct course of action, we set out to go to Roldem to recover another artifact..a soul ..  related to shifter perhaps, that may yet play a part in history. I know little of the lore concerning this but I do know we went at great peril and recovered it only by the narrowest of margins. I think if Connor had not been so resolute, the trip would not have been made and all would have been lost.  Nevertheless, this is far from over and all may yet still be lost.

Yet, despite all this a certain normalcy.

Work at the Arms is steady.  Ale always sells well be it peace or war.
Several minor expeditions around Mistone, managed to get trapped in Haven mines for a bit. Those mages…
I assist Katrien as I may; visit Lisse and Jacee as often as I can.
I have seen little of the one who stole a piece of my heart. Perhaps ..well ..

[several jumbled and hastily scrawled  ..seemingly meaningless notes appear here .. and a poorly drawn sketch of a rainy island]

Tia sent word to me that she had an opportunity to purchase a house. I have agreed to help her in this endeavor. I can live just fine on the land, but she needs a roof and a place to pursue her devotions to Lucinda. There will also be room for that halfling and the mage. Tia has experience in these matters and will run a fine house..no .. not house,  home.

My stock of coin may now be low but I am far richer with good friends.

Olme

Musings
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2005, 05:29:00 am »
Anira ela amire laaneca il tyeanya eo sa irailman acywala sa E aneln. Laira tycilala iram vilsa ameanir iram wmeam. E sylaan fa tyilanealan. Amal laira ela mailwa, aniral ama  seviran anevaaniram  queymlaa  el tyillalaeel illw ill a’tycemilaneel eo ilcc anirilan ela ameaneny.  E oailm ean lean fyan wmilam laanmalvanir  omes anira anireyviran. Iream synyir faananam  ean seviran fa. E oailm lean anira tycaillayma lem tyilel. Weala laira ?

Olme

New Faith
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2005, 08:34:00 am »
An expedition to a local cavern has claimed my ax. Some innocuous looking creature came at our party with hostile intent.  I took it down with one blow but watched in horror as my ax dissolved into a useless pile of rust.
Because of this incident I have gone back to the carpentry bench. . My skill in this has now grown such that I have been allowed to start using the master hall. It is a goal that I have long strived for. access to this hall has allowed me to work a fine staff of imported mahogany. It is lightweight and a good backup weapon, and will not rust.

New faith

Life has settled into some new rhythms.  The home in Leilon grows more comfortable by the day.  She made an excellent choice. The convenience of the port is proving its worth and I am also near the Arms. Tia has taken great pains to help me learn to write in elven. I struggle mightily with this task but her patience seems boundless. She has much on her mind as she seeks to move closer to Lucinda. She has explained to me her chosen path and I think it will not be long until the Lady rewards her faith and grants her more power. I look forward to seeing the joy on her face when this occurs. I will give her the gift I have prepared at that time.

I have decided to become a follower of Lucinda. My reasons are many but I think sound. Katrien, Connor, Samir, and of course Tia all profess this faith. Tia has answered all my questions and helped me immensely in my understanding of how even I might be useful in Lucinda’s service. In this regard, I recently journeyed once more to Spellgard to learn more and promptly got involved in another adventure.
On my tour of Spellgard, I found myself drawn to the Tower just as a dispute broke out. I noticed Connor, Katrien and Acacea were there with a group of several others and I of course joined them. There is, apparently, a need to investigate an old legend concerning some long ago strife between Ilsare and The Lady.  Apparently that foolish, arrogent priestess of Ilsare had dug some flowers from the Tower grounds. As usual, she acted with no tact or consideration. Her reasons for doing so were clear only to herself.  Must controversy and ill-will ensued as a result. After many threats and accusations, the only thing that could be agreed on was that the group had must go deep into the High Forest to get some answers. My only contribution in this endeavor was to lug a drunken goblin wizard halfway across Mistone on my back. Acacea had given him some ale and, well, it did the poor fellow in.  I’ve never been one for goblins but this fellow seemed likable enough and he certainly has command of the weave. I was beginning to think this was a waste of my time when some strange and disturbing things began to happen.
First, Acacea remembered a song that transformed and generated enormous power. It was an apparent bond with a flower of blue. An attempt to meet with the same effect with a flower of red just did not work. Strange.
Second, a drow of our party has taken on a fixation with Connor. She has, as Acacea might say, the look of the lovesick or brainsick, in any case obsessed. Her fascination with Connor is, however accompanied with a deep animosity toward Katrien. She has intentionally hurt Kat twice in a minor sort of way and apparently cursed her in drow. I know Katrien can take of herself, but, I will say, I am watching this drow.  Katrien is dear to me, and if she harms Katrien, I will put my ax to work.
We eventually made it into the high forest and spoke to the caretaker. The leaders were able to get more information but also many new questions. We will press on.

[notes about accounts to settle ]

[ brewing recipes and lists of ingredients needed]

Laira irilla nyesa filnyn oe sa. Amemwla nyaillean walanymefa iream lenya ean ela ane irecw iram ilvilel, ane oaac anira tyillalaeel, anira amilmsanir eo iram nelala, anira irailan eo iram fewa. Eym anesa anevaaniram amilla ilcc anee ocaaanelv, anee laireman, aaan E amilla malaamaw, milnyirilmvaw. E we lean nleam amirilan tyilanirla E seviran anmilelac  ameanir iram fyan E amecc ameccelvca anilna aniras ilcc. E irilela synyir E amelair ane lairilma ameanir iram illw walaemala ane a’tycema. Tyillalaeel. Aseaneel. Silveny.

Olme

Fa Ausir'la Ceviran
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2005, 09:54:00 am »
I have had time to work on a song.

The words have been with me for awhile, but now I have had the inspiration to couple them with an appropriate melody. Although it is more difficult for me, I think it sounds and flows better in elven and so it will be.

Fa Ausir’la Ceviran

Laira nyesala ane sa el anira wilmn eo leviran.
Irilem lae laeoan, aaala lae fmeviran.

Iram eleenya, iram laseca fa Ausir’la ceviran,
Anirama nyeycw lean fa il oelam laeviran.

Laira laawynyala sa ameanir il ceen illw nelala.
Il silveny anesa E ameycw lean selala.

El iram ilmsla eanla fcelala E oelw.
Nyelanalansalan, tyailnya, ameanirel sa selw.

Laira anilnala sa ane il latyanyeilc tycilnya,
Faaelw ilcc anesa, faaelw ilcc latyilnya.

E nyilma oem iram faaelw ilcc maillael.
E’w amilcn ameanir iram el illa laaillael.

Iream celv seviran anirela tyillalaeel cillaan ?
Ameanir lymanymil, ceela, le laaw ane illan.

I hope she will like it.