The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Valanca Jatyiram - "Snippets from my life"  (Read 549 times)

Nehetsrev

Valanca Jatyiram - "Snippets from my life"
« on: August 17, 2009, 08:15:01 pm »
[SIZE=32]Valanca and the Art Thief[/SIZE]

[SIZE=18]Chapter One[/SIZE]
 [SIZE=18][/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE=16]Janra the 24th of the year 1378 seemed to start much like any other day since I'd left home so far behind in Hlint. I found myself within the walls of the rather seedy port-city of Fort Vehl. Rain came down in sheets from the grey and turbulent looking clouds above, and ten-foot swells battered themselves against the dockside shores. Perhaps Mist was perturbed at one sailor or another whose ship set anchored in the bay. It wouldn't be the first time, Mist being a goddess of fickle temper as She is. I didn't mind the rain, for the sky in all it's states seemed a beauty to behold to my eyes as far back as I can recall.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]I entered the crypts of Fort Vehl to test myself against the hosts of undead resident to the dank, dark burial chambers beneath the coastal city. Only Ilsare knew perhaps what fate I would encounter that day. Yet I, in my ignorance of the events forthcoming, strode boldly deeper. Okay, so maybe the unusual absence of the hosts of undead I just mentioned made me a little uneasy, like the calm before a storm, but I still went deeper.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]In the next room I found the remains of a single skeleton, and bent a moment to pluck the remaining knuckle-bone from an otherwise shattered hand. I pocketed it in one practiced move of my hand to the pouch hung form my belt, saving the valuable reagent for use later in a potion that might heal wounds, should Ilsare give her inspired blessing to me to create such an elixir.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]At last I stepped into one of the larger chambers in time to see a figure encircled with a ring of fire, and wielding a flaming sword. Blow after blow the fiery figure struck against the skeletons clamoring around him, sending broken and charred bones scattering in all directions. As the last of them fell before the figure whose visage seemed in my eyes to burn like that of a demon lord from the deepest pits, or at least how I imagine one might look, an empty-eyed skull came clattering across the cobblestone floor to rest a hands-breadth from my feet. For a moment the chamber became silent as the tomb it was meant to be as the imposing figure turned to regard me.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16]In a voice calm and collected, strong and certain, he spoke, "What a nice surprise." [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]Even though I could see his stance relax, and that he likely meant no harm to me, I confess my fingers trembled where they clung to bow-grip and arrow-shaft knocked against taut string. This was an adventurer before me, and no one to be trifled with.[/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]With what strength of will I could muster and praying I didn't sound at all as frightened as I truly was I answered with false bravado, "With all that fire about you, one might believe you to be a demon risen to cause torment."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]In response his hearty laugh broke forth, bringing to me at once relief and perhaps a touch of admiration, and then again touched my ears in tiny echoes having played itself across the far walls of the chamber and returned once more. He followed the laughter up with friendly, mirthful banter, saying, "No demon here...but I appreciate the comparison!" He paused to consider me again for another moment and continued, "You look out of place...a forest maybe better suited?"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]My thoughts were in a flurry inside my head on how best to answer this fellow, who had now sheathed the flaming sword, when after what seemed was too long to me, but was only the space of half a breath, I said in return, "Mhmm...well, as long as your wrath is upon the undead and not good people like myself, I wish you the best of luck." Then my mind caught up with his second statement. "Forest? Why do you say that?," I asked.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]I thought I could detect a hint of mockery in his next words, but perhaps that's just my imagination, but he replied, "The bow...and your casual attire...you seem better placed near a big oak."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]Now it was I who could not help but to laugh. My own familiar laughter, a cheery sound not unlike the wind-chimes caught in an early evening gust. Okay, perhaps I try to make it sound better than it really does, but can you blame a girl for trying? In any case, after laughing I responded thus, "Well I doubt that! Perhaps a quiet shrine to Ilsare though."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]It was at that moment the circle of flames about the mysterious adventurer suddenly evaporated away, leaving us in only the light of torches hung from the chamber walls. "Woops! There goes my demonism," he said jokingly, and then continued only a tiny bit more seriously, "I hunt the mighty skeleton knuckle. There are many in these parts."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]Now more at ease with the fellow I decided to at once tease him and reward him for making himself less threatening to me. "Ah, well you missed one back in the second chamber," I told him as I stepped forward to close the distance between us.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]He seemed surprised, "I did?"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]"Yes. The skeleton lay on the floor in pieces... knuckle still attached," I said as I handed him the knuckle just withdrawn from my belt-pouch.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]His tone was grateful, and maybe respect for my honesty laced it as well, "I see...then I do have a weakness. Oversight."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]"Or haste," I smiled as I looked at him now face to face, and for the first time noticed the unusual blue-green coloring of his hair. It was plain he was Elven as I was from his stature and slightly pointed ears, but that hair was a curiosity to me. Was he of Sea-Elven descent? I didn't know, and wouldn't ask.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]"Yes that too," he went on, "Add it to the list I imagine. I am Tralek...mighty skeleton hunter." After saying that he made a bow as though the situation of the introduction required such formality .[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]Still wary of this relative stranger and obvious adventurer, a type of person I had been taught to avoid or at least mistrust most of my life, I pondered whether to give my own name and decided to hold off for now. "Well, you're welcome to the knuckle, it was your err... kill," I said, hoping to divert his asking me who I might be.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]Tralek merely said, "I thank you," but there was something about the way he said it that tickled me somehow inside my heart for just a moment. I, of course repressed the feeling, such bothersome flutters of velvety butterfly wings had brought me more heartache in the past than I cared to chance receiving again. He continued, "More enchating oils for me."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]"Aha. So that's what you use them for," I feigned ignorance of my full knowledge of the uses of skeleton knuckles. I'm not sure why, but perhaps it was to aid my internal parries against those niggling butterflies. It seemed to work.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]He studied my bow for a moment, I could tell from the way his eyes flicked to it for the briefest of scrutiny. He asked me, "Yes....what kind of bow is that?"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]The question caught me off guard only a tiny bit, but enough to cause me pause to answer, "A simple longbow. Made of hickory." I regarded him before me, so close I could feel his breath distinguishable from the other currents of air moving in the crypt. Those velvet wings tickled inside me again, and I almost felt my feet begin to tip-toe to raise my eyes level with his own, but I resisted, and they didn't. I took a step or two back instead.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16]Tralek either didn't notice, or deftly ignored my movement without showing he did so, "You make it?"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]My tongue wagged almost of its own accord, and I wondered why I should be telling this stranger such a detail, but I did anyhow, "No, this one was a gift from my mother and father."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]Perhaps he caught my discomfort, as next he said disarmingly, "Now that's what I call a nice gift...I hate when they give clothes."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]"It's seen many years of use, though, so I'm considering buying one made of oak," I heard myself drone on rather distractedly. It was then I heard movement from behind, and Tralek seemed to notice at the same time. We turned to regard the newcomer in unison.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]"Well hello there," I offered in friendly sounding greeting after realizing the new presence wasn't another undead out to kill us.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]Almost at the same time Tralek said, "Hello."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]I was nervous again, but tried to hide it with an amused tone as I spoke, "It seems we have company, Tralek, Mighty Skeleton Hunter."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]The man who had come upon us, standing there dressed in grey robes that hid much of his form, answered, "Oh! Hello! Never saw you there. Are you going there?" With that he looked back the way he had come, toward the hallway that would lead back to the entrance to the crypts. Something about his posture, tone and eyes suggested that something back that way was causing him to be quite nervous.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]"Hmmm...back out...not quite yet," Tralek answered as he looked the man over.[/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]The grey-robed person seemed to understand our purpose in the crypts. Quickly he stammered out, "Skeleton hunters, eh? Well you likely have nothing to fear! Yes! Good luck in all your hunting...I had better be going!" He began to move past us, deeper into the crypts.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]I tried to ask him, "Is there something wrong?"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]At the same time Tralek told the fellow, "The bowmaster here and I are going deeper."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]The grey-robed man paused briefly to reply, "Ah, I see." He paused to look deeper into the dark corridors that lead to the bowels of the crypts then looked back, "Further eh? Well I wont disturb you...or the skeletons." The last three words came out quietly, as if not meant for us but for himself.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]Tralek rebutted the man, "You do not disturb."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]I'd looked back to Tralek and waited for a chance to interject, feeling a bit perturbed that he had presumed to speak for me about going further into the crypts, "Well... I hadn't so much as said I was going further in.."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]Tralek didn't even look back to me as he said, "Where'd he go?" I could hear his own confusion and dismay in his voice.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]I looked for the grey-robed fellow myself and saw that indeed he was no longer within sight. I reasoned he might've been a mage, and shrugged as I answered Tralek, "Maybe a spell of invisibility?"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]"I can see past that...," he answered me, still at a loss, "He vanished."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]"Oh. Can't some mages do that though? Teleport?," I thought out loud, [/SIZE][SIZE=16]rather at a loss myself. My thoughts were interrupted as yet another presence came from the tunnels leading back to the entrance.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]A new, unfamiliar, but distinguished voice began, "Okay...Ah! Got yourself a friend, eh?" There was the slightest pause before the new man's voice resumed, "One with a bow too."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]I whirled about to face the source of this second interruption who followed so closely on the heels of the first...[/SIZE]

The following users thanked this post: davidhoff

Nehetsrev

Re: Valanca Jatyiram - "Snippets from my life"
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 09:58:06 pm »
Chapter Two

"Who are you good sir?," Tralek demanded in even tones.

The man before us both now stood dressed in garments of a multitude of bright colors. A determined look creased the wrinkles of his forehead over his eyes as he faced us looking much like an angry badger beneath a set of bushy silver brows. With equal purpose he spoke again, "Well ...seems we have a stand off..." He peered at us as though ready to pounce into a fight.

I had to try to diffuse this situation until we could find out more about this fellow before things came to blows. I tried to ease the tension, "Well hello. Seems these crypts are a high traffic area today."

The man continued to glower mostly at Tralek. He spoke again, a bit of confusion creeping into his words for a moment, "Hey! You've changed!"

"Changed?," I tried to divert his attention to myself with the question, to get him thinking of something other than fighting.

Tralek also spoke up, "What do you speak?," he asked the fellow.

I glanced at Tralek, and he glanced back at me as we exchanged glances that seemed to carry our intents clearly to each other. Turning my attention back to the brightly clothed older-looking Human, I stated, "He looks the same to me as when I arrived."

The man stammered, finally beginning to understand that we weren't who he'd first thought us, "I mean your...I am Islak, bard and adventurer..." His introduction of himself was clumsy, true, but very forgivable given the circumstances.

Tralek gave the man gentle words that breathed forgiveness for the confusion, or at least that was my perception of them, "Islak...well met."

I sensed an urgency in the situation, and guessed at what had caused Islak to approach us as he had. "Were you in pursuit of a fellow in a grey cloak?," I queried of him, "Or robes?"

Islak was not one to shirk his manners, it would seem. He continued first to offer us apology. "Ilsare forgive my ill manner I took you for another," he spoke to Tralek before addressing my questions, "Ah yes! The robed thief! You have seen him?"

"He vanished before our eyes a moment ago," I offered in response.

Tralek added, "I'm Tralek... Yes, he was running and yes, vanished."

Quickly Islak probed, "He is fast of foot and prone to the shadow! Sure enough sounds like him... He went past you?"

I and Tralek each answered in turn. My words of, "Yes, I think so," before Tralek's confirming, "He ran behind us...further in I think. Do you pursue him?"

"What is it this alleged thief stole, may I ask?," came my next query for Islak.

"By the bow, I do not think this meeting ill fated now at all! Indeed, the power of prose within me shouts out... "Here! Here! We have heart and soul solution!"" Islak's words were touched in my ears with tones of genuine hope and rejoicing. I could not help but to grin, and even Tralek seemed to smile with amusement.

"Well this is more of an encounter I expected... How pleasing to meet you, sir," Tralek said with a continued to smile.

As Islak began to explain, I couldn't help but to feel I must listen, and lend aid if I could. He seemed a charming fellow as he went on, "Hmm, yes, indeed alleged it is. He holds the painting from the noble, Castleon. Not three minutes off ship it was taken from his person and the fellow ran directly here... He must still have it!" Islak looked to us pleading, "I implore you to look for him and it in the name of all that sparkles brightly on a drab day in Vehl!"

I commented my thoughts, "It must be a small painting. I saw no item of bulk upon the fellow... unless he stashed it somewhere?"

Tralek offered his own comment on my thoughts, "Maybe wrapped and tied and under his cloak."

Islak exclaimed, "Stashed it! By the foul tricks of Shadon, you may be right! It is a small canvas rolled up and of our patron Ilsare!"

With that announcement, I knew I had no choice but to lend my aid fully in the recovery of the painting. High art was to be treasured, and an image of Ilsare herself, even if only an artist's own perception of what she may look like, was holy in and of its own right. Caught up in excitement I gasped, "Oh my!"

"I daresay it would not impinge upon his otherwise distasteful outline in the passing, but please watch he has not cast it carelessly aside," Islak again beseeched us.

Tralek lent his agreement to the cause, stating, "I am no prosecutor of crimes...but if we see him we will have words I'm sure."

I began to confirm my own convictions, "It'd be a crime for any art to be stolen and treated so roughly! But an image of Ilsare herself you say!"

"I do indeed Miss," he said as he looked more closely upon me, "Ah but you bear the mark and," he nodded politely and went on, "blessed be the lovers of art." Islak again regarded us, perhaps reconsidering his plea as he measured us in his eyes. "Can I rely on you fine fellows to help with the search? I will hold the corridor here and ensure his tricks do not free him from our cunning plan."

I said, agreeing once again with conviction, "Yes! I'll do what I can to recover the art."

"Yes we can search for him...," Tralek spoke up again as well, "He kinda was a bit rude now to think of it."

Turning on my heels I began to rush onward, deeper into the crypts, searching for the art thief and the stolen painting of my beloved Ilsare. I called back over my shoulder, "Time's wasting, we'd best be in pursuit!"

I could here Islak calling to Tralek who now followed behind me, "Rude! I'd say rude is a generous description, and no mistake! No! Give me time and I shall have a verse that fully describes the lowness of this one..." and his voice was soon lost behind us.

Realizing the old adage that haste makes waste I slowed my pace. It wouldn't do to overlook the painting if it was stashed aside someplace, while the thief sought to lead us on a goose chase. My Elven sight probed each nook and cranny as Tralek and I progressed down the hall to the next chamber.

Tralek could be heard to comment as we moved, "Don't see anyting..hmm."

We went on like this, searching and noting to each other in phrases like, "No.... not here." Eventually we came to the last chamber before the descent to the lower level of the crypts. There we fought the usual compliment of undead before making a sweep of the chamber for signs of the painting or thief.

Some rubble lay in a heap on the floor and I approached it muttering, "Hmm.... he may have stashed it among those rocks." But nothing was to be found among the rubble, not even sign of the thief's passing. Not so much giving up as moving on I stated blandly, "Nothing here... we should move on."

Finally our search found us staring at the stairs leading down. We looked to each other again for a moment and Tralek offered, "Shall we go further?"

I wanted to be sure that the thief had indeed gone down further before we decided to go down there ourselves. It wouldn't do for us to waste time below if he had simply out-smarted us and doubled back out of our sight in the shadows. Though I could see no sign, so I said to Tralek, "Hmm.... I see no footprints... He may not have gone down."

Somewhat bemused he replied, "Footprints on the rock floor...your sight is better than mine. He was quite light on his feet."

I explained, "Well, it is a crypt, and a bit dusty... If someone had passed recently, the dust would be disturbed, would it not?"

Tralek must have decided my argument bore weight, because I saw his eyes narrow as he bent to look again himself. A moment later he smiled and said, "Look at that. You're right."

I wanted to be sure, "So, you've found sign someone went down?"

He pointed out his findings to me, "Foot print there where he swung from the bars and jumped down. He has gone this way for sure..."

I breathed in tentatively, "Well then, down we go." At least, I thought, the butterflies hadn't been tickling my insides since the arrival of the grey-robed thief.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 10:32:06 am »
Chapter Three

"Many doors," Tralek's voice rang out beside me as we reached the bottom of the stairs, and the top of the raised platform they spilled out onto from above.

I didn't want to miss a single clue, so I encouraged him to help me search by saying, "Can you see if there's any sign of more footprints leading off in any particular direction?"  Meanwhile I squinted my own eyes down at the floor, straining to see any new indication that the thief had come this way and which doorway he may have moved through in leaving this chamber.
 Tralek searched diligently as well, circling slowly about the area with a penetrating gaze.  He seemed to focus on the ground, looking for more footprints, but with as many adventurers and do-gooders as make their way into the crypts to do battle with the undead as there often are, we couldn't distinguish new trail from old.

The four urns standing around the bottom of the stair caught my eyes.  A rolled up canvass could easily be placed into one to be hidden, and I voiced my thoughts as I began to look into each, "Well... I'm going to check these urns... they'd make a good place to hide a rolled up canvas."  Stopping to light a torch so that I'd be able to see inside, a slung my longbow across my back to free my hands for the task.  There was nothing in the urns to be found however, save an accumulation of dust, dirt, and cobwebs.

Tralek had finished his initial scan of the area surrounding the stairs up.  He sounded almost bored as he said, "Lets look around...not seeing anything right here."

Without thinking much about it I cautioned him, "Be careful... the undead may be on the prowl as well."  After I had to wonder if those tickling wings were starting up again, but if they had, they'd stopped once more.  I focused myself back to the task.

"Door number one?," he asked, stopping before one of the numerous sets of barred gates that lead off into one of the burial chambers.  He finished, "Maybe he hides amongst them?"

I heard movement from the other side of the doorway as Tralek opened it up.  The slow shuffling sound of heavy, mushy footsteps came forth and touched on my ears.  I quickly moved up along side Tralek, dropping the torch which sputtered out, and taking my bow in hand once again.

Tralek commented, "Yes, deaders," confirming that which I'd already surmised.

My eyes quickly adjusted to the lower lighting after the torch went out on the floor at my feet, but even had they not I knew I could sense the positions of the walking dead by the sound they made, at least well enough to put arrows in their direction with a good chance of hitting.  I released arrow after arrow, hearing the wet thunks they made when they found their mark well, or the sharp impact and wooden clattering against stone when I missed.  Tralek strode into the midst of them swinging his flaming sword in arcs that blurred with trails of amber light in my sight.  It didn't take us long to bring them all down, and after we searched the tomb for signs of the thief or painting.  Again, however, there was nothing to be found.

I shook my head in irritation and commented, "Not here, I don't think.  Let's check the next chamber."

So, the two of us went back out to the room the stair came down into and moved counter-clockwise to the next door.  Again, as we entered the chamber we could hear the movement of walking dead.  Something arced out of the darkness to explode at my feet with a terrible, "BOOM!"  My ears rang and I found it difficult to even hear my own voice as the fighting started and a exclaimed, "Ooh!  That was loud!"

As the first of these new foes moved into clearer view and Tralek strode toward them, I had the uneasy feeling these weren't the usual zombies I'd faced before when coming here.  Perhaps it was in the way they moved, or the slightly different tinge of coloring of their rotting flesh.  I just knew they were something worse, and I called out wanring to him, "Look out!"

After that the fight ensued for some moments.  My ears continued ringing for the duration, and I could see Tralek's sword cutting a swath through half-rotten limbs and gory undead ichor.  I filled one of the walking corpses with at least a dozen of my own arrows before it fell.  Staying well back from the melee I worried as I noticed the blows that made it through Tralek's defense to strike him soundly.  I even thought at one point I might've heard the snap of a bone breaking, but perhaps it was that of one of the zombies, or whatever they were.

Finally, the fight ended, and looking rather worse for wear Tralek said nonchalantly, "Hmmm...those guys were kinda tough."  He tended his own wounds before I could offer healing prayers to Ilsare, wrapping a bandage around one bleeding gash on his left leg where a steel-toed boot, or something of that nature, had hit him low.

Wounds tended we began to search the room, but I held little hope of finding thief or painting after facing such foes as had guarded these graves.  After looking behind one of the sarcophagi, Tralek called me to himself, "Come near me."

"Hmm?," I hesitated, and could feel those tickly wings again moving in the pit of my stomach, before I complied and moved toward him.
 He cast some sort of spell I was not familiar with, intoning to me, "Just in case."

I hoped I wasn't blushing visibly in the dim light as I replied, "Oh.  Thank you."  Was I being a silly nit?  Or did I really see the hint of a smile?

"Welcome," he said as he turned to searching the room some more.

"Let's go on.  He's got to be around here somewhere," I urged our search on to the next chamber.  There we fought again with undead, but nothing as dire as the last bunch we'd faced.  Again as well our searching turned up no clues and I said as much, "Nothing."

"See him in that open coffin?," Tralek sounded hopeful as he asked from across the room, "Nope?...Good place though."

"No, I did not!," he'd already answered for me, but the words tumbled out past my lips in any case.

At last we came to the last door leading form the stair-way chamber.  For those who know the crypts, it was the one that enters into a long hall before leading into the next burial chamber through a second barred gateway on the left.  I stopped to look at the handle on the door, but before I could see whether the dust that might've been on it had recently been disturbed by the passing of the thief, Tralek put his hand to it and opened it.  I shrugged as I looked at him and followed through.

He must have realized my disappointment as he commented, "Messed that up..."

I tried to re-assure him, "He probably did come this way though... since we haven't seen him elsewhere."

"Well this is his last avenue," he said to me as we continued down the hallway to the door at its other end, "Wana check this one?"

"And we can still check this door," the words came out on top of his own.  I looked ot him and nodded.  He simply grinned back with an air of shared mirth.

As I bent to examine the door-handle for recent disturbance, he questioned, "What was your name again?"

Those lousy butterflies stirred again!  Was he actually taking real notice of me now?  I pushed the imaginary insects back down to quiet with a comment meant to divert my own attention more than his, "It must be busy here often with all these tracks!"  But, it would have been rude not to answer at this point, after we'd gone through all we had together, so I added, "My name?  Valanca, though I hadn't given it 'til now."

With that we entered the next room through the door, fought its occupants to peaceful repose, and searched it as fruitlessly as all the prior rooms we'd been through.  Neither of us talked until from the back end of the room I turned to head for the next doorway leading deeper still and said, "Hmm... not back here."

In the next room, we were greeted by another unusual contingent of undead.  This time, bodiless spirits of some kind that my arrows couldn't harm until I'd prayed for an inspired blessing of Ilsare to imbue all that left my bow-string.  Tralek's fiery blade seemed to cut through them well enough though, and soon the spirits were undone.

Taking a breath after the last of them vanished into a cloud of black vapor I remarked, "Yikes!  Those were some dark spirits!  I've never seen their like before!"

Tralek didn't sound quite as impressed with them as I was, but said nonetheless, "Critters...Wow, yes."

"And still no sign of the presumed thief and painting," I said as we searched the room quickly

Tralek pointed to a pile of rocks in the back of the room, "Wait...  Let's check back here too.  Okay?  Just to make sure."

Diligently I checked the rocks he pointed out, but wasn't surprised to come to the conclusion, "Nothing."  I gestured to the next doorway which lead into another long hallway, "After you."

We went down the final hallway, turning round a bend to the left and proceeding onward.  There were only two chambers within which the thief could still be, assuming we hadn't missed him in our searching thus far.  We stopped at the barred gate about half-way down the hall on the left.
 Tralek looked it up and down saying, "Guess we try this one too."

Surprise, surprise.  More of the usual zombies and a ghoul greeted our entry.  We dealt with them swiftly, leaving gruesome remains heaped on the floor where they fell after receiving the attention of sword and bow.

Since the doorway entered the chamber roughly midway along its length I suggested, "You search right, I'll take the left." We split the room in half to go about our business searching.  I surveyed the darkness looking carefully when I heard Tralek shout from behind, "Here!"

I heard a rustle of movement as the thief jumped form his cover and sprang for the door, Tralek giving chase in close pursuit.  Still processing everything I called out myself, "Did you?!  Hey!  Where'd you go?"

They spilled out into the hallway, my gaze just barely catching sight of Tralek's back, and I quickly moved after them.  The heat was on and there was no way I was going to let the thief escape!  Tralek caught up with him first and slowed him with a blow from his sword that rocked the man nearly off his feet, but he kept trying to get away.  I knocked an arrow myself, letting if fly and catching the man in the calf right where I'd aimed to hit.  I wanted him alive, if possible, not dead.  Unfortunately, the hit to his calf caused him to stumble so that Tralek's next swipe with the sword caught him in the neck, and the thief crumpled to the ground quite dead.

Perhaps there was disappointment in his voice, but Tralek said, "He looked thiefish to me."

I closed the distance and knelt down to search the body, still warm and oozing blood.  I feared the painting might have been damaged by one of the hits from the sword during the fighting.  As we looked the man over together we both wondered if he was really our thief as well, because his dress seemed different than we'd remembered from our previous encounter with him.  In any case we both came to the same conclusion at the same time.

Tralek spoke a moment earlier than myself, "Different than the monk?  Hmmm...no painting on him."

I nodded, "This fellow had no painting... I hope he wasn't a fellow skeleton hunter."  Still, something of the man seemed familiar.  He had the right height and build of the thief.  I presumed it was the same man, but still had a tiny bit of doubt.  "Never the less... perhaps if he was our thief he hid it back in that room?  Where did you spot him first?"

Tralek announced, "I'll show you," and lead us back down the hallway to the chamber the man had sprung from.  He pointed to a darker area of the room, near a pair of sarcophagi and stated, "Bout here."

I looked over the area, seeing several places that might make good hiding holes for a rolled up canvass.  Breathing a sigh I directed, "Right...  let's begin our search here then."  I moved to a corner first, where stood a statue of some sort, covered in cobwebs and surrounded by shadowy nooks that I might've chosen myself had I wished to hide something there.  I looked it over once, but couldn't see anything.  So, I slung my bow over my back again and pulled out a torch which I lit.  Again, with better light from the torch I inspected the corner while Tralek looked elsewhere.  Still, there ws no sign of the painting to be seen.

"Hmm...  I don't see it," I said as I turned my attention to the first of the two sarcophagi.  Noticing Tralek busy scanning the other corner in his own search I bent to the task of looking over my next chosen sight.

"Hmmm," he hummed, but in such tones that I didn't think he'd found anything yet.

"Maybe we should take care to look over everything a second time....  I just don't trust my eyes in this light," I stated, beginning to become impatient with our thus far fruitless search.

Tralek moved on from the corner he examined, saying, "I'm gona look over here too."

I gazed at the heavy looking lid of the sarcophagus, "Think he could've lifted the lid off this sarcophagus and stashed it within'?"  And then my gaze touched upon the corner of a bag, half-hidden behind the second sarcophagus.  I rushed over, exclaiming with excitement, "Wait!  I see something here!"  But evidently, either consumed with concentrating on his own search, or just out of earshot of my voice, Tralek didn't seem to hear me.

No matter, I stooped to carefully open the mouth of the bag and peered within.  There is was!  A rolled canvass, packed inside along with a few True and what looked to be a set of tools wrapped in a cloth roll, much like those thieves are known to use for picking locks.  I withdrew the painting with care and awe.  I couldn't resist taking a peek, and gingerly my fingers worked to unroll it without causing damage, thankful for all the years I'd spent painting myself that I knew how to handle such a delicate work.

Tralek returned as I tried to memorize each and every stroke of the depiction of my Goddess Ilsare.  It was indeed a beautiful work, and I was almost tempted to keep it myself.  But, that wouldn't have been right.  I reasoned that hopefully the noble merchant Castleon to whom it belonged would be sure to share it with those who would appreciate it as should be done with such art.  My thoughts were interrupted as Tralek asked as he approached, "Find anything?"

I looked up to him from the painting and he looked back, seeing I had indeed found it.  "Well why didn't you yell over?," he complained.

I ignored the question at first and began, "Yes!  This is it I believe!"  Pausing, I asked, "You didn't hear me?"

He grumbled, "Had me looking and lookin...guess not."

"My apologies," I offered, hoping he wouldn't stay upset for I had called to him.  I went on, "I'd thought my voice may have carried better in here."

"Oh well...we got it," he seemed to calm as I'd hoped, and then asked, "It is it, right?"

I began to smile again and began explaining, "Yes.  There were a few coins and some tools in the bag as well.  The sort of tools a thief might use."

He caught my thought and concluded, "Not just another random painting from another thief," a grin spreading across his face.

"Evidence enough, you think?," I asked.

"Oh yes...definitely circumstantial," he agreed in good humor.

I didn't bother to hide my own smile as it came to me, "Well, at least the painting appears to be safe and sound.  We should return it, I suppose..."  I looked at the painting again before carefully rolling it up once more, again tempted to keep it and bring it back to the temple to be sure it would be displayed in a fitting way for the world to enjoy.

Tralek's wonderings brought me back from my thoughts, "I wonder if that fellow we cut down was the same we saw earlier?  Didn't get a good look at him the first time..," his voice trailed off a moment and then he added in answer to my suggestion, "Oh yes, I agree."

To allay his doubts I gave him my thoughts on the man we'd chased, "He looked to be the same size and build.  And given his proximity to this when we first saw him, I think it likely he was our man."

He seemed content with my analysis and urged us to move again, "Yes, let's find the wordy fellow.  I think you most deductive."

Retrieving and extinguishing my torch, I took a moment to switch back to having my bow ready in case more of the undead should rise to confront us as we headed back up.  A smile still warmly spread beneath my pretty little nose, I commented, "Who knows, perhaps we'll receive a reward?"

Tralek agreed, "Would be nice."

"But seeing this image of Ilsare really is reward enough for me I suppose," I said with sincerity.  The thought didn't ring quite as true for him, and he coughed.  I continued regardless, "The artist really had a beautiful talent."

Evidently he hadn't paid as much attention to the painting as I when it had still been unrolled in my hands, he asked, "Was it intact?"

"Yes," came my simple answer.  I noticed movement ahead as we went, and snapped off a single shot to bring down a loan skeleton priest.

"Nice shot," Tralek remarked.

Those lousy bugs rose up again, darn them!  But I answered cheerily, "Thanks for that!"  My thoughts strayed over the recent memories of this unusual day as we continued through the crypts together, and I couldn't help thinking to myself that we seemed to compliment each other well, as a team.  Feelings made me glance at him, just for a moment, and I hoped he hadn't caught the glance because I knew it would have shown my thoughts.  I subdued those wretched butterflies and their silken wings once more.  That was a path I couldn't allow myself to travel again...  At least not yet.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 11:28:37 am »
Epilogue

We finally approached the place at which we'd left Islak the bard.  We could see that several guardsmen dressed in the livery of the kingdom of Co'rys stood now with him.  One, a marksman, judging from the fact he wielded a longbow and seemed to know how to wield it well, called out, "Here comes someone!"

I quickly answered, to avoid becoming a target, "We found it!"

Tralek also chimed in, "Hail!"  I smiled broadly as he added, "Yes, we did."

Islak questioned fervently, "You did!  Intact, with all the fair lines etched in eternal delight I hope?"

"Most certainly!," I continued to grin and Tralek hummed, "Mhhmm," in support.

With a touch of glee Islak returned, "Ah, splendid!"

By this time we had closed the remaining distance and I proudly presented the rolled canvass to Islak, bowing my head slightly and smiling the whole while.

One of the guardsmen, presumably their captain, offered his congratulations, "Well done you two.  There is a reward offered by the merchant for this paintings return."

I turned to him and explained further, "With it we found some tools, the sort a thief would use."

Tralek added in, "Sorry to say that some fellow near it...had to be put down."

The guardsman turned, asking, "And the thief?"

I responded first, "We think he was the one we killed."

After me, Tralek also said, "Yes...he ran from that direction...seemed to be him or one of his accomplices."

The guardsman sounded well pleased and went on, "Then by Rofirein you will have another purse too!"

Now it was Tralek who seemed pleased, "Very good...glad to help."

Thinking to myself, who wouldn't be pleased to receive any reward for catching a thief and recovering a valuable painting, I also added in concurrence with Tralek, "Yes.  To preserve such a beautiful work is an honor."

Cheerily Islak regarded us both and said, "Ha!  What a well held couple you will make.  Spend it wisely, spend it flippantly, but spend it Red, eh?"  His last words for me, I guessed with the reference to my own red hair.  I couldn't' help but wonder if some of my secret and self-protested admiration for Tralek had shown on my face in these moments for Islak to see, or if he had just guessed on his own by some whim of his thinking.

"Red indeed," Tralek said and looked at me.

I curtsied to Islak with a smile then, if only as a measure to try to hide the blushing I felt as blood flowed into and heated my cheeks.  Tralek offered him a bow of his own.

We were lead finally into the light of open skies as the sun worked its way up in the east to bring a new dawn to Fort Vehl.  After that we were brought to file the appropriate paperwork and identify the body of the thief that had been recovered by the guard, and in due course we each received one thousand Trues as our reward.

Stepping out of the guard station with the heavy bag of True in hand I turned to Tralek, almost wishing deep inside not to part company, "Well, I think I'll take the man's advice and go spend my reward."  I smiled at him, "Will you be continuing your hunt?"

"No I"ll head out too...," he trailed off for a moment, but something made him add, "Made me feel good."

"For certain," I said, trying to peer into his eyes now in the light of day and measure his thoughts.

He seemed to be smiling inside, I thought, as he said, "Yes, truly a good day."  He paused momentarily and added, "Thanks."

What else could I say but, "You're welcome."

He began, "Well...Valanca..."

I interrupted in answer, my voice leaping out before I could harness it and hold it back, "Yes?"  My eyes flicked back and forth between his own as I waited to hear what he'd go on to say.

"Nice rescuing the paiting with ya," came his next words.

Happilly I smiled back, "Indeed!  A fine adventure."

He seemed to need to say more, and I listened, "I haven't felt this noble in a while."

This was something I hadn't expected.  I probed for more, raising my eyebrow in a thoughtful quirk, "Why not?"

"You were a fine investigating partner," he began and went on, "Guess I'm not usually doing good deeds...but I try.  I might start doing more...feels pretty good actually."

An opportunity to encourage him was mine to fill, so I did, "Hmm.  Perhaps you should develop a passion for doing them.  They suit you well."

I could see him actually thinking over my suggestion.  Had meeting me and working together begun to work a change in this man?  I wondered about him, still really a stranger he was, but I hoped one who was beginning to be inspired for goodness.  He finally announced, "Might be right," with all seriousness.  Then he changed the subject to say, "Well...guess I'm gona go take a nap...  Then get up and start brewing these skelies," indicating his bag of skeleton knuckles.

I offered a blessing to this man who somehow I felt stirred by inside myself, "May Ilsare set her inspiration in your dreams then, Tralek."

"Oooh, that sounds nice...I hope she does too," he answered.  I couldn't tell exactly what his thoughts or emotions had been behind the words.  Did he think to dream of me?  Or was he just being polite, or even perhaps mocking?  I felt at least it wasn't the last of those things, and those darn butterflies seemed to be indicating that they wished it were the first of the suppositions.  He spoke again, "Hope to see ya soon Valanca....take care."

Smiling, I answered perhaps a bit too enthusiasticly, "You too!"

And then I swear I saw him wink to me as he turned to walk off and I stood there frozen like a deer spotting a wolf nearby.  I finally regained my tongue to call out after him, "And never lose your fire for living!"

I stood there a minute or two longer, watching his back as he roamed further into the morning crowds of market shoppers in the streets of Fort Vehl.  At last I wrenched my gaze away, or maybe it was I lost sight of him and came to realization of it like waking from a daydream.

I remembered my reward money and set off for Port Hempstead, there was a set of new armor waiting for me there, and now I had the coin to pay for it.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 08:26:59 am »
Valanca and the Stolen Bag

These events began in the month of Seplar of the year 1463, as far as I can recall.  I really should not have taken so long to write of them, but writing has never been one of my stronger art forms.  Hopefully my memory still serves me faithfully and I will not have forgotten too many of the details to make a fair accounting here.

(more to come...)

anything