The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Valcion's Reflections  (Read 93 times)

Ne'er

Valcion's Reflections
« on: August 17, 2006, 06:34:02 pm »
I find myself wandering still, still searching for my place in the balance, still hoping that my words will inspire some others to hold at least a little more respect for nature and its many bounties.

This time, after wandering in the Sielwood Forest for roughly a week I find myself within the small town known as Hlint. The place seems to be quite poplar and rests on a well-travelled road in the central area of Mistone. Overall the town seems quiet enough, and many of those present in the town seem rather ignorant of their actions against nature. However, a few do seem to hold proper respect for the natural world and it is good to see like-minded people in the area.

There is one building in the town that stands out among the others. There is a crypt, one that houses undead abominations. Local adventurers seem to make a habit of 'cleansing' these crypts, when in fact it appears they do no more than destroy the undead for practice and loot the bodies of the dead. I will admit that it is not against my own interests, as the undead are destroyed, but I find it interesting what the true motives for many of these adventurers is.

My own belief is that the crypt should be torn down and opened once again to the sunlight and the air. The unnatural aura in that crypt will then fade and the dead will likely cease to rise up again from the grave. But I fear for now my plea may fall upon deaf ears, as many of the towns folk find themselves engrossed in their money-pouches and want for trade, or in their own personal affairs. I shall have to take my time with such actions, I suppose. Nothing in nature is instantaneous after all.

Unfortunately the town appears to be plagued by parasites on different ends. Goblins make their homes outside the town and kobolds live in caves not far either. The two races are little more than parasites, sucking the life from the world and simply growing and breeding until a place cannot support them any longer and then they move on. I worry that one day we humans will become nothing more than parasites on this world. Hopefully we will catch ourselves before that time has arrived, and hopefully whatever damage we do will not be beyond repair.

I can only hope.

Ne'er

RE: Valcion's Reflections
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 05:28:07 am »
**Valcion rests under a tree in the Sielwood Forest. He pats a squirrel on the top of the head and hands it an acorn. The squirrel thanks him and runs off with its friends, leaving Valcion alone with himself**

It saddens me that people do not seem to understand my actions.

I travel with a group of people to a cave in Sielwood under the impression that it was infested with a group of kobolds. I intended to see for myself, however I said I would only travel with them so long as they agreed not to harm the wildlife in the forest. They happily agreed, stating that there was no reason to harm them.

We arrived at the cave, confirming the rumors of the kobold and bugbear infestation. Both creatures are no better than the goblins. They are just leeches, taking from nature's bounty, leaving nothing and returning nothing. They are a type of scum that needs to be controlled in order for other creatures to better survive, in order to maintain a sense of balance here.

Yet the creatures were not alone in the cave. A large gelatinous monster, a type I have indeed seen before, roamed the floors of the cave. Those I travelled with attacked it without any prejudice, and ignored my warnings. Such creatures help break down the bodies of the fallen, as well as the waste that would have populated the area. It is a shame that such a helpful beast, albeit mindless, is instantly considered a monster because it is unfamiliar.

While within the cave I encountered another druid, an elf by the name of Drogo it seemed.  He moved around in the form of a cheetah, communicating with me through a sequence of growls and purrs. We identified each other as fellow servants of the Oak, and I informed him that it was good to find others concerned about the well-being of the natural world. He travelled with us for a short time, speaking only in the elven tongue or to me via his cheetah form. He appears to have mastered a form of shifting, at least the ability to take the form of simpler and more common animals.

After the others had retrieved their gold and the necklace that someone had lost there, they set outside again. However, they wandered into a nest of spiders and recieved several grievous wounds. I refused to aid them in their battle with the spiders, as I felt it was the spiders own right to fight against them. It had been them that wandered into the spiders home, and I am almost certain if one of them had broken into a man's home and was attacked, it would not be considered proper to aid the intruder. Indeed, if anything the spiders deserved the aid in that battle.

But none of the others saw this event as I had. Even Drogo did not. They claimed that they would not sit by idly and let the spiders kill their friends, and that I should be no different. They are quick to assume these people are my friends. I had only met them mere hours before and we barely spoke of anything other than that we had reasons for wanting to visit the cave. If they wish for me to truly consider them a friend perhaps they should spend time at it, and maybe next time I will at least protect them from the spiders or heal them after the fighting has ended.

Only one seemed to hold a similar belief as me, surprisingly a heavily armored man. He was angered as he had warned the others of the spiders nest, yet they wandered into it anyway. Which leaves me with no doubts in my mind that what I did was indeed correct. They knowlingly entered the nest, and deserved any consequence that would result of it. My conscience will remain clear today.

Needless to say I do not believe I will be travelling with them again if I can recall all their names and faces. They broke their promise to me when we entered the forest, and they seemed to be blinded and deafened by their own ignorance of the world. I doubt the rest of them will rush to seek out my aid as it is, since I am sure more than one of them was angered by my inaction. Such is the way things are.

With luck, not all of the intelligent races have become as blind as these people.

**Valcion sighs and stands, looking as far into the forest as he can. He smiles faintly to a chipmunk resting near him. He grabs his walking stick and sets out into the forest, unsure of his next destination**

Ne'er

Debates and a Glimmer of Hope
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 12:58:30 pm »
I find that very few around will pay heed to my advice ad warnings. Some have simply ignored what I have said, and others mock my very idealology. It is sad really. It continues to perpetuate the feeling that hope may yet be lost.

Even with another druid I found myself in disagreement. He told me that if I wished to truly serve the Great Oak I should wear the hide of other animals. I denied his offer of his hide armor, stating that I would not were the skin of a once living and breathing animal for my own protection or comfort. My robes would serve me as they are. It resulted in the a long debate over how we must all serve the oak that we should all be prepared for battle. I told him that my strength was in my words, and that my fighting ability was only as a last resort. Nature would aid me if it felt I was a good servent, and I hope that when the worst began my connection with the natural world would be strong enough to protect me.

The debate was inconclusive, neither side budged on its beliefs, and the two of us must have scared the life out of the merchants of hlint, growling like cats in there prescence. Although with what I have seen in that town it is possible they are used to it.

On a different not, I am pleased to say that the half-giant, half-human named Bog has restored some hope for my cause. He too sees the world similar to how I do. He claims to be too 'stupid' to understand most things, but he is far more intelligent than he lets on I believe. He too asks the animals for help and lives off of the land. I was impressed by this. Although I should expect little else from a man of giant heritage. The more common giants are usually quite respectful of the lands they inhabit.

Bog told me his story, and it was a sad one indeed. It appears the corruption of civilization and their ways of handling problems have led him into the life of a wanderer. It is sad to see a good person as himself reduced to this state. Although a lesson may be taught in Bog's story, a lesson that perhaps I can use in the future.

With luck and with perhaps the right places to look and the choice words to say I will discover more people with a deep respect for nature. My hope is not yet lost, and perhaps we can help get the people of the world back on the right path before they have wandered to far to ever find their way home.

anything