The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: BoB Rank clarification  (Read 1644 times)

Masterjack

BoB Rank clarification
« on: May 16, 2007, 03:34:34 pm »
This is the info I have on BoB ranks

All Brothers of Battle will replace their last name with the given title of the rank. If the PC has no last name the rank title will be used as the last name.

Initiate: Level 8 Title: None
Required: Vorax as your Deity. Give up all weapons, Leather Armor & Shield if used, and any Helm of any type. After creation of HoA2 do not use it and give it to a GM as soon as possible. Declare wanting to become a Brother of Battle in Bio and RP with current Brother of Battle or a Battle Priest of Vorax.

Brother of Battle
Required:
Deity: Vorax
Class: Monk Only Min. Level = 12
Race: Any
Alignment: LG
Skills:
Tumble Rank of: 15
Feats:
Weapon Finesse in Unarmed Strike
Circle Kick
Improved Critical in Unarmed Strike
Diamond Soul

CDQ 1, Title "Stone Soul"
Added Abilities via Cloak "Vorax’s Blessing"

CDQ 2, Min. Level 16 Title "Stone Will"
Added Ability via belt "Girdle of Vorax”

ECDQ 1, Min. Level 20 Title "Stone Foot"
Added Ability via boots. (name & abilities TBD)

ECDQ 2, Min. Level 30 Title "Stone Palm" Optional Title for Master of Order: "Stone Fist"
Added Ability via gloves “Fists of Vorax” (abilities TBD)

My question is, to get the level 20 rank do I need to take a WLQ? The list is old and required an ECDQ for level 20. Is it possable to do a CDQ for the level 20 rank and not get all the powers and privilages of a world leader? I just want to know so I can develop my character in the right direction.

Thanks
Masterjack

EdTheKet

Re: BoB Rank clarification
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 09:26:29 am »
The list is old, and I'm also not sure it's entirely correct.
Where did you get it from?

Masterjack

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 03:57:45 pm »
It was PM'd to me by Zen (AKA Garnet Stonesoul). It is also in the following link

http://www.layonara.com/closed-disputes-grievances-requests/103732-garnet-name-change-bob-rank-gained.html

Masterjack

EdTheKet

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 06:02:43 pm »
Ah right, as I never okay'ed that list, in any event, I'd lean towards a WLDQ for the Stone Foot rank, but maybe not.

Masterjack

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 06:32:46 pm »
I'll aim for a WLDQ, since it has the more strict guide lines. I'll go with the above list until I'm informed of an approved one.

Thanks
Masterjack

Masterjack

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 01:55:33 pm »
I have a player that is asking me questions about the BoB because he is looking to make one. So I went through all the past threads to gather some official info for him. It seems to me that there are few things that still need to be clarified and updated.  

They elf issue needs to be made public. I have a PM from ED saying that elves are not allowed to become a BoB (roughly speaking) but nothing public has been mentioned. (Copy of PM added to bottom for reference)

We have a problem with circle kick. I have asked repeatedly about it in this thread but no official answer. http://forums.layonara.com/layonara-server/224862-attn-characters-circle-kick.html

There is no official word on wearing of helms. The only post I have found is one that states that ZEN (aka Garnet Stonesmitty) decided on his own that they should not wear them. Nothing official has been said. http://forums.layonara.com/development-related-topics-drt/96972-brother-battle-restrictions.html

It needs to be mentioned in the organizations thread that the BoB are separate from the official Church Of Vorax based on this. http://forums.layonara.com/ask-gamemaster/229662-ask-loremaster-vorax.html

I know your busy but it would be nice to have an approved list of requirements made and a bit more detail added to the description. To me it just looks and feels like the BoB are a big question mark to the general population and a few GMs.

Quote from: EdTheKet
Hi,
I've thought it over a bit.
Generally speaking, I don't see how a dwarven order like this would accept an elf (regardless of who that elf is).

In this particular case, the fact that two monks respect him is still not sufficient I think, as it's not them he needs to convince, it's more the whole church of Vorax. Which would then be no mean feat and if (if!) we'd allow it it'd have to be the result of several CDQs and maybe a WLDQ.

The fact that he is alrady lvl 20 doesn't influence it, it's his being elven.

Quote from: Masterjack
I know an elf named Krysthalien he worships Vorax. He is an accomplished fighter (level 20 Monk). He has approached Beli Stonewill and Garnet Stonesoul to become a Brother of Battle. Both think he is worthy of becoming a Brother.

My question is...Does him being an Elf and already level 20, effect him in any way from becoming a Brother of Battle? If so how?

Masterjack

EdTheKet

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 03:42:05 pm »
Apologies for the delays.

I've answered in the circle kick thread.

Regarding helmets, we'll allow the wearing of a helmet, but they would prefer cloth hoods, bands and the like (real ones, not metal helmets customized to look like a hood or headband). Else they'd limit movement too much I think.

It needs to be mentioned in the organizations thread that the BoB are separate from the official Church Of Vorax based on this.

I've added a few words to the BoB page: LORE: Brothers of Battle

Hellblazer

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 11:30:03 pm »
So they would be allowed the helmet of armor 1 & 2, and what about the orcish helm?

I was wondering from reading the lore of vorax, that human are accepted as Voraxian and I guess BoB, what about half elf?

Masterjack

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 08:06:47 am »
Personally I'm going to only let Beli wear something that goes with the original description. So far I've seen 5 different types of words to describe head gear. You have Helmets, hoods ,visors, circlets and headbands. In my opinion, out of all those only Helmets are limiting in movement.

That's just my opinion though.

Edit P.S.
You could RP that the enchantment on the helmet was on the liner. Remove the liner and sew it into a hood.  It just that a monk needs all the help he can get in a fight. They have a hard time hitting things at higher levels, it same as a rogue in that respect.

EdTheKet

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 08:48:00 am »
Personally I'm going to only let Beli wear something that goes with the original description. So far I've seen 5 different types of words to describe head gear. You have Helmets, hoods ,visors, circlets and headbands. In my opinion, out of all those only Helmets are limiting in movement.

I would agree.

Unless the visor looks like this one  which is more a helmet, but still called a visor.

Medieval visors are often just helmets with a movable part to cover the face, you can't compare them to modern visors like these that serve to keep the sun out of your eyes.

lonnarin

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 09:22:25 am »
I would agree.

Unless the visor looks like this one  which is more a helmet, but still called a visor.

That Viking helm doesn't look like it restricts movement much; the neck still has full range of motion.  It looks more ornamental aside from the rare deflected arrow though, looks like it needs a chinstrap to keep from falling off in any meaningful combat.  Now the kinds of helms that a fullplate wearing warrior might wear might as well be soldered onto the shoulder pads with a 15 pg instruction booklet and can opener for the user to take off after battle. THOSE would certainly restrict movement along the lines of Iron Man's mech suit.

EdTheKet

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 09:55:02 am »
Quote from: lonnarin
That Viking helm doesn't look like it restricts movement much; the neck still has full range of motion.  It looks more ornamental aside from the rare deflected arrow though, looks like it needs a chinstrap to keep from falling off in any meaningful combat.  Now the kinds of helms that a fullplate wearing warrior might wear might as well be soldered onto the shoulder pads with a 15 pg instruction booklet and can opener for the user to take off after battle. THOSE would certainly restrict movement along the lines of Iron Man's mech suit.

You still have a couple of kilograms of metal on your head with that thing.

I think I made my point with medieval visor helmets versus what is called a visor in modern times.

Hellblazer

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 10:45:24 am »
Alright, just so there is no more confusion. You can wear theres IG rewards as long as they are not in the shape of a helmet. So you get one, but don't wear it until you have changed the appearance?

Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Quote from: Hellblazer
I was wondering from reading the lore of vorax, that human are accepted as Voraxian and I guess BoB, what about half elf?

Also still waiting on an official word about half elf.

EdTheKet

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 11:05:59 am »
Alright, just so there is no more confusion. You can wear theres IG rewards as long as they are not in the shape of a helmet. So you get one, but don't wear it until you have changed the appearance?

Not correct:

Quote from: Ed
Regarding helmets, we'll allow the wearing of a helmet, but they would prefer cloth hoods, bands and the like (real ones, not metal helmets customized to look like a hood or headband). Else they'd limit movement too much I think.

Emphasis added.

Also still waiting on an official word about half elf.

While not totally impossible, it'd have to be a very humanized half-elf and even then it'd be a pretty tough entry into the ranks (read: significant CDQ failure chance).

EdTheKet

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 05:00:03 pm »
My current thinking:

Brother of Battle
Required:
Class: Monk Only
Race: Any, except for Brownie, Goblin, Half Elf*, Half Giant, Half Ogre, Half Orc, Orc, Wemic or any Elf.  
Alignment: LG, LN
Skills and Feats required to join:
Tumble Rank of 15, Weapon Finesse in Unarmed Strike, Blind Fight, Improved Critical in Unarmed Strike

Will join as Initiate, no CDQ required if initiated by existing Brother of Battle.
Any further ranks must be gained through CDQ.
Ranks:
Stone Soul (needs: Diamond Soul feat)
Stone Will
Stone Foot
Stone Palm (needs: Quivering Palm feat)
Stone Fist (Master of the Order, WLDQ required)

Notes:
*Half elves will only be allowed if they have renounced their elven heritage. Half elf characters wanting to join the Brotherhood will need a CDQ to attain Initiate rank.
** The wearing of a helmet is allowed, but severely frowned upon. They would prefer cloth hoods, bands and the like as those are light (real ones, not metal helmets customized to look like a cloth hood or headband or something else. These are still metal helmets.)

lonnarin

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 06:23:12 pm »
what about the orcish helm?

Voraxian Chamber Pot.  Neither Vorax or Dorand worshippers would dare be caught wearing one of those!  I think the orcs that make those particular helms and the orcish axes are specifically Grand worshippers, so they'd probably destroy such items on sight.

Great write-up, Ed!  When you finalize this and add it to LORE, might want to make another similar update for the Adamantine Brotherhood back-to-back with it.  Can't wait to see what you have in store for the Path of Strength and the Path of Wisdom.

Masterjack

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 08:39:34 pm »
My current thinking:

Brother of Battle
Required:
Class: Monk Only
Race: Any, except for Brownie, Goblin, Half Elf*, Half Giant, Half Ogre, Half Orc, Orc, Wemic or any Elf.  
Alignment: LG, LN
Skills and Feats required to join:
Tumble Rank of 15, Weapon Finesse in Unarmed Strike, Blind Fight, Improved Critical in Unarmed Strike

Will join as Initiate, no CDQ required if initiated by existing Brother of Battle.
Any further ranks must be gained through CDQ.
Ranks:
Stone Soul (needs: Diamond Soul feat)
Stone Will
Stone Foot
Stone Palm (needs: Quivering Palm feat)
Stone Fist (Master of the Order, WLDQ required)

Notes:
*Half elves will only be allowed if they have renounced their elven heritage. Half elf characters wanting to join the Brotherhood will need a CDQ to attain Initiate rank.
** The wearing of a helmet is allowed, but severely frowned upon. They would prefer cloth hoods, bands and the like as those are light (real ones, not metal helmets customized to look like a cloth hood or headband or something else. These are still metal helmets.)

So two questions come to mind. Will each rank get an item to reflect the rank like before and does the last name still change?

Hellblazer

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 06:54:16 pm »
There has been quite some time that has passed since MJ asked his question here, and it is something that I would like to know myself. Not that it would change anything to Xian Shu, but as a "nice to know" kind of thing, since Xian Shu will be illegible for his first BOB cdq next month.

EdTheKet

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 09:06:48 am »
So two questions come to mind. Will each rank get an item to reflect the rank like before and does the last name still change?
I don't think we'll be doing the item thing as we're not outlawing any items (even though helmets are frowned upon we won't outright say "Can't use them").

We won't do the last name change either, as we're also not adding any titles to names of PCs that join other organizations/churches/etc.

Hellblazer

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 02:04:34 am »
So if I'm understanding this right, BOB wont receive the cloak upon getting their first rank (or which ever rank that cloak was for) and such anymore?

anything