The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Location Thread: Hurm  (Read 3343 times)

Gulnyr

Jennara narrows her eyes
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2016, 02:06:32 am »

Jennara narrows her eyes slightly and holds up a finger. She waves over a guard and asks her to assign an escort for the robed Rofireinite with whom she had previously been talking. Then she returns her attention to Vrebel.

There are rumors that you may bear some responsibility for this trouble. There are people in positions of authority that believe that information and have placed warrants for your arrest. You cannot escape whatever Justice is due for your actions, whether good or bad, but the trials awaiting you at the hands of these governments can wait for now; you will be more help here than in a dungeon or the stocks.

I expect news soon, and after that I may have more direct ways for you to help. For now, you have an interesting advantage: you are not a follower of the Lord Protector. Certain people may speak more freely around you, whether by talking directly to you or gossiping nearby, than around those of us who are recognizably devout. You may hear things that we may not. You may find access to certain quarters easier. This is not an invitation to behave contrary to the law, only an observation of the nature of the world.

There are also various tasks here and around this section of the city that would help the healers and the citizens. You appear to have already been doing some of these tasks. These are not glamourous tasks. They simply help ease the burdens. Even a small assistance is a boon.

I can always find work for able hands. See me regularly and I will tell you what is needed.

 

willhoff

He listens to the Commander
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2016, 10:32:02 pm »

He listens to the Commander with intent eyes and ears but appears a bit distracted by something she said regarding trials and justice

"Aye Commander my thinkin' exactly.  I'll see what I can hear round town and talk to some folks that maybe you all woudn't have a chance with.  Bars, taverns and back alley ways would be a good start."

He waits a little longer for the guard she sent for an escort to get some distance from them

"I thank ye for not lockin' me up.  I agree I won't be much help holed up in a jail cell.  Specially if them blacks start attackin' town.  I'll keep up my chores and do whatever you think can help yer cause here and report to you regulary like."

He offers another salute

"I'm glad I found ya and hopefully this thing don't go south anymore than it has."

 

 

 

Gulnyr

Jennara nods once and glances
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2016, 05:33:42 pm »

Jennara nods once and glances off toward the south for a moment. She looks back at Vrebel again.

Please return to whatever task you had been assigned. Every effort counts.

 

willhoff

He nods back to the Commander
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2016, 08:17:00 pm »

He nods back to the Commander and picks up the pile of oak branches he was carrying and heads off. 

Sometime after he can be seen heading into the local tavern to see if his bartender has returned and has any information.  Otherwise he'll ask around in the seedier places of Hurm for any information about goings on regarding the plague or things out of the ordinary.

 

Dorganath

Over the course of the rest
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2016, 11:09:44 pm »

Over the course of the rest of the day and well into the night, whether from keeping his eyes and ears open or from some carefully-placed words among the right (or wrong?) people, Vrebel does start to pick up a couple of common themes:

  • Disasters are very good for business
  • It is presently a lot easier to get rid of a body

 

 

Acacea

The evening has given way to
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2016, 08:48:59 pm »

The evening has given way to the night by the time Acacea hunts down Jennara back in the central district. Her sleeves have been untied at some point, showing the winding spirals of scripts and stylized wind patterns up her arms above the belled bracelets. Trust me, she's waiting to hear back !

 

Gulnyr

Jennara approaches quietly
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2016, 09:36:13 pm »

Jennara approaches quietly from the left, nods to the guard, and motions for Acacea to follow. She leads the way to her tent.

 

Acacea

As she enters, she remarks,
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2016, 10:06:22 pm »

As she enters, she remarks, in case you wondered, nobody answered because only one person was left that wasn't dead or missing and she's just a little praybaby! She lets the opening fall closed and gestures while singing quietly; the sudden absence of sound from beyond the tent only highlights all the noise that has become usual.

 

willhoff

Vrebel wanders by on one of
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2016, 12:13:30 am »

Vrebel wanders by on one of his watches and stops to listen in the tent hearing the famliar singy voice and banter

 

Gulnyr

Vrebel may be surprised at
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2016, 01:14:01 am »

Vrebel may be surprised at the lack of sound coming from the tent, as if no one were inside at all. Suddenly, Acacea can clearly be heard to mention that she would "almost definitely be back tomorrow" and would be taking a nap.

*yawns* Sorry I did not return with a magical spell of reversal...

...

It is?

... and reverse and reverse... 

... *sniffles*

*quietly singing a common tune with uncommon words* Dnihi ed dni bcesi znihi ecc hyetm liid
Wehiziccm dy mea ert zurtm dy khiid
Cyrk zi behd, ert weh zi dhefic
'duc dni dnhietm yw Wedi orhefic

...

... What is done is done. There are things to be done now so that things are better later.

There is a visitor to attend. Enjoy your nap. Be safe, and I will see you tomorrow.

The tent flap flies open and Jennara nods once to Vrebel.

Hello. How can I help you?

 

willhoff

"Howd'y Commander hope I'm
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2016, 05:27:07 pm »

"Howd'y Commander hope I'm not botherin' you."

He offers a quick salute and a smile as he wipes some sweat off his brow

"Just stoppin in to report about what I've heard.  Seems business has picked up around here since this whole plague thing started.  Folks go missin' now and no one's the wiser is what I've heard."

He tilts his body a little to see if he can catch a glimpse of the inside of the tent trying his best not to appear obvious

"Let me know if there's any new chores you want me to see about.  Say you haven't seen Chimes runnin' bout have you?  I heard she's been seen round."

 

Gulnyr

Jennara nods a little to the
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2016, 07:12:53 pm »

Jennara nods a little to the report.

The plague is a cover for many evils. The unscrupulous find fewer hindrances. What may have been a rough mugging becomes a murder. Even those who only imagined such acts in the heat of anger may now idly consider the elimination of a neighbor with a coveted possession. The community is weakened. The world is dimmer. Darkness is winning.

She shrugs slightly. It is often easier for those who serve chaos and destruction, for it is easier to destroy than to create. A young child can topple a tower of blocks before she is able to build such a tower herself. She looks around. This all seems so very petty. So many have died, and for what? To demonstrate power? Her eyes lock with Vrebel's. I could have killed all these people. Not as quickly, perhaps, depending on the method I chose, but they would be no less dead. Does that make me powerful? The ability to kill? Her head shakes side to side slowly. Even mice kill. Being larger just makes it easier, physically speaking. If it were an army of veteran soldiers, slain in their ranks on the battlefield, one may consider it a powerful display. There is no honor or respect to be gained by being able to kill farmers and shop keepers and children easily. The weak are a coward's targets. I would expect better of such ancient beings.

Jennara pauses and looks around again. These people already feared the dragon. What was gained? What was lost?

She looks back. Those who create, those who preserve, those with discipline, those with restraint and patience, those who give rather than take -- they have more work than before. It is always the harder path, but victory is possible.

Jennara's brow furrows slightly.

There is nothing interesting to be seen within. I suspect you may have heard Acacea singing, at the least. Is there a message you would like me to deliver?

 

willhoff

He blinks a few times and
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2016, 08:43:13 pm »

He blinks a few times and nods once Jennara is finished with her sermon

"And the way these dark beasts are doin' the killin' ain't brave either.  Meet us in battle.  Show yourselves at least."

He eyes the tent momentarily

"I don't really have some important message for Chimes cept that I'd be willing to help you all if you need it.  If there's nothin further I'll go back to helpin' around here doin' me chores.  Maybe we can meet up later when you have more information."

 

 

 

 

Gulnyr

I told her so. I expect news
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2016, 09:00:30 pm »

I told her so. I expect news soon.

Thank you for helping.

 

Acacea

Acacea staggers out of
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2017, 11:55:00 pm »

Acacea staggers out of Jennara's tent a couple days (hehe) later despite not having been seen or heard entering it. She rubs her eyes and mutters something profane when a brief shift of wind sends the smell of the pyres her way. O traitorous stomach, that is the stench of burning disease, not bacon... She hits a few bars and labor lines looking for Vrebel...

 

willhoff

Vrebel can be found toward
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2017, 04:37:55 pm »

Vrebel can be found toward the end of the day back at Pirates Cove Tavern.  His outside table is littered with empty ale stines, boots propped up on a stool enjoying the fresh salt breeze coming off the water

 

Acacea

After poking around
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2017, 06:26:22 pm »

After poking around halfheartedly the halfling gives up and heads for the Pirates Cove, hoping a bongo player or two is still alive. She brightens upon seeing what crazy random happenstance has led her to Vrebel's current haunt! 

Such weather we are having, hey? she announces. What's the chant, Rebel? 

 

willhoff

He tries turning around
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2017, 08:22:45 pm »

He tries turning around almost sliding off his stool upon Chimes announcement.  Most days he would hear her jinglings from far away but the ale and breeze (probably more the ale) had dulled his senses.

Chimes!  I knew youd find me here!

He has a glimmer in his eyes that hasn't been seen in a while.  Spinning around he greets her with smile.

I'd hug you but I smell like stale ale and rottin' flesh.  And the chant I think is a bit more morbid these days....apparently folks don't like me much anymore.  Not like they ever did anyways.

He offers a quick smirk but his eyes seem serious

What you been up to?

 

Acacea

Har! I have had enough of
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2017, 12:31:39 am »

Har! I have had enough of that for another lifetime, I think, so I will pass on the hug. That said, in Derrick's day half the Arms smelled like this place does, now! She winks at the embellishment. As for liking, so I hear! Welcome to the world of unintended consequences! I will tell you sometime how I helped plummet the world into volcanic winter for a double-tenner. Her tone is light but she rubs absently at her shoulder at the words. As for up-to'ings,

The bells at her wrists chime as she gestures, then in mid-sentence sings a snatch of melody before continuing talking as she'd never paused. It takes a second to register that their surroundings have fallen silent. hunting for information, of course! At some point people may have to be jaunting rather far away for ingredients, I am thinking, but I am waiting to find out more, still. In the meantime, I've been picking up some ugly chatter on things going on... from fear turning to appeasement and people who looked the wrong way at someone last Freas ending up in a pyre without a whiff of plague. Not to mention I'm not sure what few supplies are left are even getting to the right places. 

She pauses and cocks her head. Does this city have soldiers? Are there any peoples being locked away from regular sorts and eating high on the drake? That's not how that goes. Never mind. I don't want to see any burnings, again.

She rattles her keys together absently. I was hoping to help at the shrines 'til I hear back, but I wanna know if there's anything bigger going on, city-wise... And with you having a real reason to be avoiding authorities she coughs I thought you might help! 

Not sure how much time we got. 

 

willhoff

Right.He nods trying his best
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2017, 05:20:02 pm »

Right.

He nods trying his best to appear like he's digested everything she's  said

I've been askin round a bit and word from the street is folks are using this plague to balance their ledgers if you know what I mean

He winks a bit and places a good amount of coin on the table sitting up

Not sure about the soldiers but the town appears well fortified as far as the structure is concerned.  I'll look around and figure out their numbers and whether their worthy of holdin' a blade and get back with you in a few days.  Shrines sounds like a good change from what I've been doin' lately so I'm in!  Lets meet up in a few days at the shrine of yer choosin' and I'll fill you in on what I've learned about soldiers?

 

 

 

 

anything