The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Bard spell - Amplify  (Read 331 times)

Skywatcher

Bard spell - Amplify
« on: July 19, 2007, 04:45:33 am »
Description: I cast this spell with my newly created bard and hoping to be able to overhear a conversation and it had no effect.  It says it adds +20 to listen checks but there was no difference on my listen check or on my screen that shows the skills.

Verified:

Reproducable: Yes

Marswipp

Re: Bard spell - Amplify
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 01:10:16 pm »
Did you try rolling the check?
Playing D&D 3.5e, D&D 5e, Pathfinder, and exploring Starfinder through a VTT

Acacea

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 06:02:49 pm »
That's strange, I've been using the spell for a couple years or something in Layo without problem. It lasts for a very short time - maybe it simply wore off before the check got rolled? What level is your bard? It only lasts 6 seconds per level. I know it sounds like we look for all the dumb answers first...sorry, I just know I use it frequently to good effect.

Skywatcher

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 06:55:47 pm »
Well it may be that it wore off.  She is a new bard and is only 3rd level.  I thought I did the check right after I cast it but maybe I waited to many seconds.  I'll check it out again.

Skywatcher

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 05:42:04 pm »
Yep you were right.  It just wore off fast.  Sorry for being so dense.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 08:55:49 pm »
I've Always thought it was odd how amplify and clairvoyance/clairaudience were such short duration compared to all the spells that have more of an impact on game mechanics. While amplify and clairvoyance/clairaudience do have a game mechanics purpose it's very weak compared to say, true seeing, which serves the same purpose and is just better (though higher level.)

True seeing's duration is 10x longer per level than ampify and clairvoyance/clairaudience. I wouldn't mind them being longer duration as they are more in the realm of rp spells.

AeonBlues

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 08:37:49 pm »
Just for clarification.  If a character has a high listen skill, then they can hear characters speaking far away, and the other characters couldn't hear the one with the high listen skill at said long distance?

AeonBlues

anything