The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: CNR - Silver Enhancement - Slashing Dmg  (Read 862 times)

Talan Va'lash

CNR - Silver Enhancement - Slashing Dmg
« on: May 06, 2005, 12:04:00 pm »
The damage bonus vs undead and shapechangers given from the silver enhancement is Slashing damage.

I was thinking it should at least be bludgeoning as undead are notorious for having slash/pierce resist and this is supposed to be their special weakness.

But, as silver is the magical weakness of undead and shapechangers it should probably be magical damage.  I realize that magical damage is more powerful as nothing has resistance to it, but, since this is their weakness, it seems like it should bypass all of their resistances.

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
RE: CNR - Silver Enhancement - Slashing Dmg
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 04:20:00 am »
I agree with that, sometimes the damage is just absorbed, making the silver enhancement somewhat less useful, perhaps if the type of damage could be changed to either bludgeoning like Talan suggested, or positive damage would be better.

ZeroVega

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 05:03:00 am »
  I talked about this with Talan before he posted, and the point that we came up with was. You're coating your blade in silver. If a Wearwolf inhales silver powder, it's going to hurt him via magic from the curse. Same with a vampire and garlic or whatever. Adding bludgneon damage doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, and since magical has no immunity, and it pretty neutral (Ie: Positive, Negetive, Divine are more specific) it would just seem to fit.

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 05:09:00 am »
Magical seems more appropriate, indeed, but i just thought of the other types as a suggestion, as silver is often associated to a good-aligned use, and as such, either divine or positive damage would be best suited... at least from my point of view, heh. ;)

freemen2

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 08:52:00 am »
How can a coating add bludgeoning damage to a sword or slashing to a mace...I mean a weapon is a weapon and those kind of damages are weapon dependent not magic...least the way I see it.
Am for positive or divine if possible ;)

lonnarin

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 06:01:00 pm »
Holy damage vs. undead/lycanthrope would be a nice change for it.  Silver is thought of as being so effective against lycanthropes and undead because alchemists envision it to be a symbolically "pure" metal, both in physical composition and supernatural essence.  In this context, "purity" is interchangable with goodness, as impurity is likened to evil.  I would doubt that a weapon coated with silver could ever do lasting damage to a supernatural being of pure goodness like a celestial or goodly god.

orth

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 02:57:00 pm »
Leanthar, what's your say on this?

IDii

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 09:35:00 am »
I say keep it slashing. For balance reasons pretty much. Becomes a bit too powerful if it's magic or divine as hardly anything has DR against those. Silver can be added to something that already has an elemental damage enhancement and divine or magic there would just be a bit too much. Also the crafting recipes have been with silver not being super powerful in mind.

Reventage

• Followers of Ilsare
    • Followers of Rofirein
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 09:50:00 am »
Or could simply change it so that it does bludgeoning versus undead and slashing versus shapeshifters. The reason for this would be that undead usually have resistances against other than bludgeoning and shapehsifters have resistance against bludgeoning.

This way the damage would be appropriate if you consider it's target races without going to the too powerful damage types like holy or magical.

Leanthar

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 09:54:00 am »
For balance reasons it needs to stay as it is now.  I hear your thoughts and I definetly agree with what you are saying but at this point in time I am not willing to go back through 1700 custom creatures and make changes here and there, not to mention we can't make changes to default creatures.
  Also as IDii stated, silver can be added to something that already has an elemental damage enhancement and divine or magic there would just be a bit too much.

anything