The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Dark Elf issue  (Read 353 times)

Link092

Dark Elf issue
« on: July 20, 2008, 09:06:01 pm »
I've noticed that sometimes when it is daylight, my penalty doesn't show up for Sion.

And I found it odd that I was mauled by deer... and a skunk on sight. Just thought I might point that out, just to help with the realism.:D

Thanks!

darkstorme

Re: Dark Elf issue
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 09:22:53 pm »
Does the penalty not apply, or do the icons simply not show up?  In some cases, both buffs and penalties fail to appear as icons in the upper-right corner of the GUI, and are simply applied.  You can check by looking at the bottom of your Character Sheet.

As for the skunk - have you ever faced a skunk in real life?  They're nasty little critters.  :)

(And, in fairness, you're talking about a world where centipedes have a challenge rating.  Everything's bigger, meaner, and tougher than you'd expect... except, of course, for those people who you're trying to defend from the bigger, meaner, tougher creatures.)

In addition, you're a Rogue.  Rogues aren't the big, tough armoured types that'd have no trouble dispatching a skunk or a buck.  They're the type that the skunk can blind and bite, and the buck can gore.  Trust me.  That skunk was a serious threat to my character until level six or so.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 09:59:40 pm »
Quote from: darkstorme
That skunk was a serious threat to my character until level six or so.
Jeez, you could handle them at level six? Took me nearly to level ten before the things stopped murdering me.

Acacea

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 11:19:00 pm »
Welcome to the organization of Rogues Against Skunk Violence.

Link092

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 02:13:17 pm »

As for the skunk - have you ever faced a skunk in real life?  They're nasty little critters.  :)

I have, but I was to quick to notice it's reaction... I think I made a local speed record. :D

And thank you Acacea, I hope to be a chairman one day. ;)

jan

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 04:46:09 pm »
Trust me.  That skunk was a serious threat to my character until level six or so.

Only level six ...*sighs* I'll need to go back to training skunks ...they should be deadly up until level 12 , maybe some expertise ........ ;)

vgn

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 06:02:26 pm »
On the dark elf penalties.... one thing to note is that the blindness is only noticed/added when crossing a transition. So if it is night and you are sitting on a bench in hempstead and dawn breaks, you don't all of a sudden suffer the blindness. However if you were to cross a transition after dawn broke everything would go dark and you'd have the temporary blindness. The next time you cross during the same day though you won't be blinded.

What I'm not sure on though is if the penalties are noticed/added without crossing a transition or if those wait as well.

darkstorme

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 06:06:58 pm »
I suspect (though I don't know for sure) that the penalties are applied by "On Enter Area".  There's no universal "onDawn" trigger, and "onHeartbeat" would be too expensive, processor-wise.

And @jan - Barion's been training skunks?  That explains the smell! ;)

Dorganath

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 06:23:50 pm »
Yep.  They're applied when one enters an outdoor area.

Link092

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 07:37:35 pm »
Ok, Ok... just making sure.

Eight-Bit

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 03:05:21 pm »
Quote from: Acacea
Welcome to the organization of Rogues Against Skunk Violence.

Skunks prevented me from getting sand at that lake with Key until I got knockdown. I can attest that they're tough buggers in real life too. It took three shots from a police officer to take down a rabid one in my backyard.

anything