The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Find Traps Effect does not match spell Description  (Read 980 times)

Dorax Windsmith

Find Traps Effect does not match spell Description
« on: August 26, 2012, 06:56:24 am »
Description:  The spell description for Find Traps says that the effect should be +10 plus 1 per 2 caster levels to Search skill and +5 plus 1 per 2 caster levels to Disable Trap skill.  Gunder (37 level cleric, therefore per the spell description should receive skill bonus of +28 to Search and +23 to Disable Traps) cast the spell on Vrebel and the skill bonus was capped at +15 to Search and +10 to Disable Traps.

Verification:  We tried the spell multiple times changing order of equipment and such.

Reproducable:  Attempted multiple times, but not in different locations.

Perhaps the spell is meant to be capped and just the description needs to be updated in Lore and on the Character Spell Description pages in game.

Thanks for your consideration.

The following users thanked this post: willhoff

Dorganath

Re: Find Traps Effect does not match spell Description
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 12:12:31 pm »
The spell description is actually correct for the way it's scripted. There are no limits coded into the script.

What could be happening is that you're running into some caps on bonuses from the engine itself.  I've been trying to look for (with no real success) whether or not the fact that these two skills are cross-class for Gunder affects how much of a bonus applies from the spell. Other things that could affect things are additional equipment, spells, curses or conditions that drag down skill checks and/or ability modifiers.

Also, are you basing your +15 and +10 on the character sheet or on an actual skill check?  You may not be able to do a Disable Trap check but you should be able to do a Search check.

LordCove

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 12:46:52 pm »
I vaguely recall the Open Lock and Disable trap abilities being capped at +15 for those people without either of these two abilities as their class skill. In other words to go higher, you need a Rogue class.
I think this was done to avoid the same ... Wizards and Clerics suddenly gaining the skills of rogues of equal levels, ensuring some areas required group travel ( needing to bring a rogue ) and could not be solo'd.

Not sure if its actually true, but seems to fit.

Dorax Windsmith

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 01:16:43 pm »
Sounds like what you are saying here for if Gunder was casting on himself who doesn't have any levels in rogue, but this was Gunder casting on Vrebel who does have rogue levels.  

Would the spell have a different affect if the person casting the spell has rogue levels?  Would it have a different affect if Gunder had a skill point in Disable Traps?  (Gunder has no skill points in Disable Traps)

I didn't consider having him actually try a trap to see if the mechanics were different than what the character sheet said.  We were just going by what the skill sheet said on his character sheet.

Thanks for the responses.

Dorganath

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 01:44:31 pm »
Couple things:

Keep in mind there's a +50 cap to skill modifiers from equipment, spells, bardsong and the like.

It's not necessary to actually try a trap to see if there's an effect. You can do a skill check using voice commands or using the DMFI dice bag widget.

Dorax Windsmith

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 07:20:30 pm »
Update:  When I cast the spell on myself I get the full benefit from the spell description.  

Is it a bug then that if I cast it on someone else they only get partial?

Dorganath

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 10:27:49 pm »
*laughs*

OK, not so much as you describe, meaning it doesn't differentiate between caster and target to decide whether to give a greater or lesser benefit.  

However, since you asked that question, I did find a bug.  Looks like it was using the target rather than the caster to figure out the bonus.  So clearly, this would result in a lesser result on most targets Gunder may cast this spell upon.

This will be fixed...soonish.

Iconoclastic

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 02:20:49 am »
What you are talking about seems to match what I was seeing in game - the spell just giving bonuses to skills.  The description of the spell scrolls I had though said that it would make all traps in the area known to the caster - and disarm them.  Which it didn't do...

Chazzler

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 05:20:15 am »
That's the standard Bioware (D&D) version of the spell scroll.

Quote from: Iconoclastic
What you are talking about seems to match what I was seeing in game - the spell just giving bonuses to skills.  The description of the spell scrolls I had though said that it would make all traps in the area known to the caster - and disarm them.  Which it didn't do...

Dorganath

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 08:24:19 am »
We can't change the descriptions on the Bioware default scrolls without making a completely new and redundant set of scrolls, which we're not going to do.  As a general rule, the descriptions on LORE for any given spell works for both the spell and the scroll.

anything