The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Greater Magic Weapon & Eschew Materials  (Read 562 times)

Asmodean

Greater Magic Weapon & Eschew Materials
« on: July 17, 2005, 08:39:00 am »
When I try to cast Greater Magic Weapon, it says the spell fails since I do not have any Powdered Carbon.  However, I have the Eschew Materials feat, so I should not need any material component for the spell.  Seems like the other 3rd level spells I have function alright.

Zhofe

• Followers of Ilsare
    • Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
RE: Greater Magic Weapon & Eschew Materials
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 08:42:00 am »
If the spell is of a higher level for another class then it will not work ... or something like that.

Asmodean

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 08:53:00 am »
It is a 4th level Cleric spell, so for that reason Eschew Materials won't work for it?  I took that spell when I leveled, thinking I would be able to use it without components.  Hopefully it can be fixed to work for the class level of the caster.  Is there another thread that discusses this issue?

Rayenoir

• Followers of Rofirein
    • Followers of Xeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 09:35:00 am »
Look for what it says the "Innate Level" is.

Dorganath

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 09:53:00 am »
It's a known thing, Asmodean.  It has to do with what level NWN thinks it is vs. what level it might be for the class.  At least that's how I remember it being explained.

You need Eschew II for GMW.  On the bright side, Invis, Fireball, Mage Armor and a few others no longer need components, so there's some positives! :)

IDii

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 10:03:00 am »
It's what we want it to be actually. The innate level would be 3 but it's reasoned by GMW being mostly used by clerics really and it's lvl4 for them.(guessing 97% of the time it's cast it's a cleric).

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 01:41:00 pm »
Whenever theres a spell that is used by two different classes eschew take the higher level for which eschew feat it needs.

Otherwise there would have to be three seperate eschew feats for each caster class.

Powdered carbon is one of the cheapest components though (cheaper than powdered silver which is used for a lower level spell.)

Its only 6gp or so in some places, and every stick of charcol can be transformed into 2 powdered carbon by using its charges.

You can make charcol with hickory in the cooking oven too, so its pretty easy to get.