The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Point of Interest Flags  (Read 446 times)

aragwen

Point of Interest Flags
« on: April 18, 2007, 11:13:58 am »
At this time when you find a flag and examine it, it merely states you found a point of interest or something and gives you the XP.

My suggestion would be that when you examine the flag you actually get the story behind the point of interest. Explaining why it is actually a point of interest. I think that would provide quite a lot of lore and information regarding a particular place or area.

Leanthar stated that this was his initial intention with these and asked that I log it as a bug report.

Acacea

Re: Point of Interest Flags
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 09:59:10 pm »
Nonono, don't tell the story, why would it do that? Can you imagine some troop of girl scouts tromping around the Rift and the Deep planting cute little flags somewhere with stories so you can have a badge?

Maybe give it some atmosphere notes or say what it is exactly that catches your interest - the whole reason I like the system despite the weirdness of OOC flags waving around is that it gives exploring XP and allows PCs to learn the history of places from other PCs... it seems like having that done magically would leave those questions and interaction pointless.

:( See! Look at the sad piece of toast! Hehe

magnusarin

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 12:13:09 am »
    But it's kind of like when you go to a national monument (albeit the Grand Canyon isn't in the middle of a troll infested swamp). There are plaques and signs everywhere talking about it. Maybe just a brief write up about it so you can still try to get the PC interaction.

Acacea

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 12:22:48 am »
    That makes sense for some things, where such structures would be actually erected. I didn't even know the 'point of interest' flags were IC at all, as it seems more than passing strange that these flags should pop up all over the place, including the ones where you have to fight vicious creatures just to get to. How did the girl scouts get there in the first place? The "Grand Canyon in the swamp" thing is why I thought they were OOC presents for exploring and discovering places that were part of history, to intrigue PCs and make them ask around and stuff.

If there were actually supposed to be flags waving around in the Rift and the Underdark this whole time, could we change it to something other than these ubiquitous banners and instead put something more appropriate depending on the location, for the plaque and statue reference? For instance, the statue of Arenski at the Great Library is technically its 'point of interest' flag, right? Why would we have these monuments with actual plaques and have a little flag waving saying "this is a point of interest!" for tourists? hehe. It's just an example... just suggesting to make the statue the flag, if that makes any sense... something that is tangible IC.

Not sure that was any less jumbled *squints an eye*

Witch Hunter

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 02:45:17 am »
    Well I approached it more as "common lore" most people know, just like I, the player, know about the grand canyon or the himalayas... it's stuff everyone that was born and raised in the world of Layonara "should know"... and just like you gain self insight when you visit those places in real life and get all that whacky-nature-mumbo-jumbo experince... you get actual XP ingame!
     Although history would always be nice ^^...

anything