The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Annie Firefly is Now her Familiar  (Read 1280 times)

orth

Annie Firefly is Now her Familiar
« on: April 09, 2017, 06:14:27 pm »
Description: After the trip last night Annie Firefly was goofing around with her "sister", the pixie familiar Annette Firefly.  She summoned the pixie familiar, polymorphed herself into a pixie and the fly around, possessing the familiar back and forth.  Just noticed later last night that Annie Firefly's character sheet and server messages had changed.  She is now "Annette Firefly" according to the server messages and her character sheet!  Now both Annie and her familiar are named "Annette Firefly"Location: Character Sheet, NameVerified:Reproducable: I assume it could be.

The following users thanked this post: Acacea

Dorganath

Haha! This is pretty funny!I
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 10:07:15 pm »

Haha! This is pretty funny!

I checked into both the database and the character file. Both of them show your character as being named "Annie Firefly", so it would seem that the two most important parts of this equation show the character's name correctly. If you are seeing "Annette Firefly" in-game, what I can guess is that the server got confused with all your skin-swapping and is holding onto the wrong name somehow.

The good news is that means it will probably be cleared when the server is reset next time. Right now, there's nothing else I can try to "fix" besides that.

I'll try and get the reset done sometime soon. Let me know if this persists past that point.

Dorganath

I reset the server this
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 12:32:21 pm »

I reset the server this morning, so give it a look.

Let me know!

lonnarin

She still shows as Annette
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 09:26:53 pm »

She still shows as Annette

Iconoclastic

I'm having a similar problem
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 09:47:04 am »

I'm having a similar problem with my sorceress Jenna Gale.  In-world now she appears to me as Maeve... her pixie familiar's name.  One thing I did that could be involved: when I was possessing the pixie during a dungeon run yesterday, I noticed her (the pixie's) talk to the party was showing up as Someone, so I introduced her to everyone as Maeve. [=c introparty Maeve]  I'm checking with others of the part to see if they saw a change, but I didn't see myself renamed at the time.  On login today though, Jenna shows to me as being named Maeve.. the name over her head and on her character sheet.  A double-check logout showed me she is still Jenna Gale in the server vault.  I tried to use the above action to reverse the issue and get her named back to Jenna Gale, but it didn't work, so it may not be the actual cause.  I just thought it couldn't hurt to report.

Edit: some while later, after posting the above, I saw her name was back to Jenna Gale.  It definitely wasn't when I re-logged in.  Unless someone logged in as a DM and set it for me or something, when I wasn't looking, then it does seem to be changing from the above method.. but after some interval that I don't know what is.  Maybe a system auto-save or something.

Dorganath

Thanks for this info. It
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 09:31:48 pm »

Thanks for this info. It gives me something else to check out, as there didn't seem to be anything off about the OP's character file or database entries. The dynamic name system could definitely be causing that issue, though...which is to say I can see how it might happen. I would suspect possessed familiars were not considered when the system was implemented.

I'll give the naming data a check when I have a chance.

Dorganath

I cleared "Annette Firefile"
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 03:05:43 pm »

I cleared "Annette Firefile" and "Maeve" out of the custom naming database, so hopefully this helps the problem.

If it occurs in the future, it's probably enough just to reintroduce oneself when not in possession of a familiar.

orth

This was fixed, though rather
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 06:14:15 pm »

This was fixed, though rather hackish. You can't use the dynamic name system while possessed any more and since Party talk seems to be the only thing affected when a possessed familiar says something I've made sure to prepend the familiar's name to any Party talk.

anything