The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Skunk Walkpaths - Remove them  (Read 81 times)

Leanthar

Skunk Walkpaths - Remove them
« on: September 20, 2005, 01:14:00 pm »
They are causing various other problems....
    Posted by Talan in some other thread and copied to here for reference........
  About the skunks... those are just weird and having them in weird places doesnt neccissarily mean someone lured them. All the skunks on west are weird because of the skunks that walk the waypoints at the lake north of hlint east outskirts. All skunks are drawn to that area as they try to make their daily pilgrimage to skunk mecca as demanded by their religion. The ones in haven probably decided it was faster to go through the desert and north and around to get there (since the intra-area pathfinding is often weird, I'm betting the inter area path finding can get really weird) and then got distracted by all those tasty chickens or something *shrugs*

Dorganath

RE: Skunk Walkpaths - Remove them
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 02:10:00 pm »
You want me to have them random walk to wander the area freely?

Leanthar

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 02:14:00 pm »
Hmmm... Naw, lets just remove the waypoints and make them stationary. We have seen a cpu spike by creatures that walk randomly in the forest (pathing issues).

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 10:31:00 pm »
I assume these scripts have creatures with X tag walk the waypoints (since you cant just asign them to specific creatures since they die and respawn, thus being different creatures technicaly.)

Is it attached to all skunks to walk X waypoints, or is it attached to the waypoints to call all skunks?

If it was on the waypoints it might be possible to make the call only areawide to all skunks.

Anyway, thats all a hypothesis as I've never tried to script way points for spawning creatures like this (as opposed to placed creatures.. which don't really work for a PW.)

-TV

Dorganath

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 06:05:00 am »
I -think- (meaning I haven't looked yet) that there are waypoints in that "Skunk Mecca" that have tags of the form WP_ where is the tag of the skunks themselves.  The NWN engine looks for tags like this when telling creatures what to do, where to go, etc.  This is a semi-automatic feature designed to make it easy to construct walk paths for creatures and NPCs of a certain type.
  Again, going off of memory there, so don't quote me.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 07:46:00 am »
oh, huh.  That makes sense.  No idea what to do about them then other than nuke em. ;)

-TV

Edit: that is unless you want to create a new creature with a different tag thats the same as a skunk but only use it for that one area so that it only tells those skunks to walk.  But.. I'm thinking the cost/benefit just isnt worth it.  Though the skunks patrolling the elderberries bring back many fond memories for me... just ask lal about them. ;)

Leanthar

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 08:12:00 am »
Yeah, we could create a new creature with a new tag... We just have so many creatures already it sort of makes little sense to do it.

Dorganath

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 06:27:00 am »
Fixed in the next update