The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: xp scale in spider cave  (Read 307 times)

Falonthas

xp scale in spider cave
« on: May 07, 2009, 02:01:45 pm »
took drogo in for a look to see what all the fuss was about, and had a fun lunch trip

the question is why the xp levels are so far off from level one to level 2 of this place

if a baby dire gives 3 xp at 17th level and papa dire gives 5 xp at 17th, why wouldnt a much more deadly version the bloodback give more then 5 xp

takes 5x the amount of damage then a dire and has magic

the black and darks i saw on level 2 seems to be more in line with what should be earned

repoduceable: yes both coming in and out upon respawn for level 1

make a tweak to make the level 1 ones who use strategy as well as magic worth the time it takes a rip em up and have them for lunch

just a stone cats two true

Dorganath

Re: xp scale in spider cave
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 03:30:37 pm »
The difference between levels of the cave is nothing more than to give a scaling experience the deeper you go. The top level is for lower-level characters. The next one down is intended for mid-level characters and groups. The bottom level is intended for the mid-to-high level range.

Keep in mind you're also probably seeing the new minimum XP system at work as far as the rewards go. I don't believe that there are any creatures in the spawns on that first level who are above CR 7, but I'll verify that later.

Falonthas

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 05:07:41 pm »
went and took a gander at the other dire infested cave on mistone and their the dires give 7 xp at 17th

if the bloods arent rated higher then 7  they sure are harder to kill then dires

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 06:48:43 pm »
Awful lot of work for 2 XP, don't you think? ;)

Anyway, having had some time to look into this, I don't see how they could be any different.  The Dire Spiders in both locations are the same creature, and there's no special "XP scale" for the Silkwood Spider Cave.

Falonthas

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 06:55:39 am »
ive always liked hunting spiders, but to have to score tons of damage on the bloods doesnt make killing them worth the effort, when the other cave has other tasty goodies inside too

Dorganath

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 08:44:07 am »
So is this more of a gripe than a bug report?  

I'm sort of confused what you're trying to tell me here.  If you don't like the added effort, which is arguably less for Drogo with his poison immunity than most other characters, then don't go there. Plenty of other people do, especially to the lower levels. The top level wasn't even designed for someone of 17th level, so the "reward" of going through there is going to be on the low side.

Funny thing is, the two spiders are nearly identical, with the same properties skins and the same creature attacks, though the Bloodback does have lower stats and fewer hit points.  I didn't see anything last night that would make them significantly more difficult than the Dire Spiders. In any case, there's nothing "wrong" with them, and so I don't see a reason to change them.