The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Calender issues again  (Read 1142 times)

Pibemanden

Calender issues again
« on: November 10, 2007, 08:00:24 pm »
This time time conversions, I found out that the time conversion is working rather odd. I have my timezone set to (gmt) Western europe time, London etc. . However when i post events and view events the time is set wrong since it displayes the time as it actually is for me since I live in GMT+1, I don't know what is causing this but I suspect it has something to do with DTS which I have set to automaticly detect, it makes things rather confusing since some events might list a time in the generated time and one in the describtion which is wrong. I would really much like to know if this issue can be resolved since I am unsure at which time I should post my events since the time calculated doesn't match the actual time it should be at.

Dorganath

Re: Calender issues again
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 08:31:23 pm »
Have you reviewed this?

http://forums.layonara.com/forum-discussion-post-login-problems-here/114584-how-use-calendar-proper-times.html?highlight=calendar

For what it's worth, I always use GMT to set calendar events, as it never changes. I also post times in several time zones to alleviate confusion.  I highly recommend doing that.  If time zone math isn't your thing, try this site:

timeanddate.com

Since the forums try to compute the right time for the viewer, the best thing you can do is to follow the instructions in the first link and make sure that you are doing things properly.  If someone has their time set wrong on their local machine and/or forum profile, there's not a lot you can or should do about that.  Taking that extra step of posting times for other time zones will further help in reducing errors.

Pibemanden

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 01:41:09 pm »
I tried checking the links and I can surely make my own times for the events but I saw something odd as I changed my settings. I have the GMT setting as default, and the who dunit was listed as 2am thursday, I changed to GMT+1 and the quest was still listed as 2am, then I changed to GMT+2 and all in a sudden it was at 4am, none((Edit; actually the gmt+1 time is correct but that seems strange still)) of these times are correct as the quest started at 1am GMT according to the forum clocks, I can post some screenshots to document it later.

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 01:49:12 pm »
I don't want to discourage you from investigating and/or determining the cause of things at least on your end, but there is a rather low likelihood that we will be doing much to affect the way the calendar operates. The few who know enough about it AND who have the access to do it simply don't have the time.  

My suggestions above are the best I can offer at the moment, for you and everyone.  I know the calendar's own mechanics are a little confusing, but some of that confusion I'm sure is due to people having things set incorrectly  and/or making assumptions about how it all works.  Posting additional time zones in the calendar description entries will go a long way to curing the remaining problems and time confusions.

Pibemanden

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 02:01:19 pm »
Well I know people are busy but it seems that the calender is putting GMT time one hour off for some reason, I tried setting GMT-1 and got the correct time of 12am in that zone, so really it is rather odd and yes it can be countered by posting times in the describtion instead but it is just rather sad that the nifty feature isn't working correctly.

Pibemanden

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 08:22:24 pm »
Okay, I think I might have determined the cause of this. I kow that it is highly unlikely to be fixed, but it seems that setting your settings to GMT actually sets them to GMT+1, and posting your time in GMT posts it in GMT+1. Without knowing anything about the code of the forums I would suspect that the setting event posting time and setting own time is somehow linked to the same bit of code which is currently doing something that accidently sets the time to GMT+1 instead of GMT as it should be. The reason why I suspect this is that I read in the bottom of the pages that
"All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:13 AM." while I had my timezone set to GMT. It might be an error in what happens when we change to winter time which means that it will be alright in some months when we change back, but I guess this is as far as I can go without knowing how the actual code works, but it is just a suggestion for a future fix should it ever be possible for someone to do it.