The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Suggestions for Forums  (Read 649 times)

Hellblazer

Re: Suggestions for Forums
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2007, 08:07:10 pm »
Quote from: minerva
Thanks Orth, the other forums gave us the option to reply to the sender without the quote, which was why I asked.

nt sure if this has been adressed, but I had seen a check box where you could specify, do not add quote in your reply. For the pms.

dont see it anymore so I'm probably wrong.

Laldiien

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2007, 06:17:56 am »
Quote from: Laldiien
I think so, but I noticed the option for "Instant email notification" was not available.  I have subscribed to the forums and I had to option of daily email notices, but I have my default on my profile to Instant.  With luck, my profile will over take precedent.  If not, hey, I have more now than I did this morning.  Thanks!

I think THIS is what we had on the last forum.  The description looks right.
Description

Very simple, it adds instant email notification for forums. If you are subscribed to a forum using instant email notification, whenever a new thread is posted you will be sent an email containing the details and the thread text.
Now, I have no clue if we have the plugins, or the widgets that this makes use of.  If we don't we don't.

orth

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2007, 06:54:22 am »
Thanks for pointing that hack out, it is possible and not very difficult but I'm gonna have to think about this though.  

I'm not sure I want our email servers to start sending out 15-20 messages with every new thread.  With that said it introduces a nice medium to send text ads.  I think we'll do it but hold up until the new servers are running.

Hellblazer

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2007, 07:45:20 am »
I can tell you that you probably dont want it. I had subscribed to receive email notification on the old forum. Every day I would receive close to 80 new messages as it was sending me notification for new post in threads and not new threads only.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2007, 07:48:21 am »
A couple of things...

1) I've already made this suggestion, but just to put it where everything else is... Could we have a "Jump to Top" button with the Thanks, Quote, Multi-Quote, and Quick Reply buttons in each post? That was one of my favorite features of the old forums.

2) Themes would be nice, but no big deal. As a suggestion, the colourscheme of the old site would likely be a hit.

3) I actually liked the "X Days/Hours/Minutes Ago" stamp. Could we have an option to choose which we preferred? I found it a bit more intuitive when I was scrolling around for new posts.

4) We need a feature that will allow us to press a button and make apple juice come out of a spout on our monitors. Yeah. I'm really thirsty. <3

RE: Hellblazer

Two suggestions.

a) Get Gmail. Then it just piles all the new notifications into one email. (Kinda.)

b) I think that a lot of people DO really want it. I know I do, especially for quest and guild forums.

Laldiien

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2007, 08:01:49 am »
Quote from: Hellblazer
I can tell you that you probably dont want it. I had subscribed to receive email notification on the old forum. Every day I would receive close to 80 new messages as it was sending me notification for new post in threads and not new threads only.

Actually, that is specifically what I want. I don't have the time to sit on the forums, but I do have time to check email as it comes in. Granted, there are forums I would not subscribe to, just as there are forums now I never read. CDT's, character submissions and diety requests are examples for me. But having everything in General, my guild forum and Layonara Server would be useful.

Admitedly, it's of limited utility and I don't know how much use it got on the old forums, but as a side note, I got your post emailed to me and am replying via my wireless.

anything