The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: IG play disrupted by my new all-in-one printer/scanner/fax  (Read 1307 times)

davidhoff

IG play disrupted by my new all-in-one printer/scanner/fax
« on: June 25, 2017, 08:58:30 pm »
Hey not sure this is the right spot but here goes.I recently installed an Epson Workforce 3640 all-in-one printer/copier/fax/scan.  Now my IG play on NWW is affected.  Everynow and then while IG, NWN's get's minimized briefly and goes to my desktop, and then right away it goes back to NWN; total downtime is about 15 seconds.  Also, while IG I feel like things are choppier now and almost like something is competing or monitoring NWN...like its sluggish.I've tried various things like shutting down all monitoring on the Epson etc.  I'm not sure but I think it's a wi-fi issue.  My computer has never been on wi-fi.  It's set up solely with an ethernet cable.  I do have wi-fi but don't use it for my computer.But, when I set up/installed the Epson I let it connect to my computer through wi-fi.  I think that might have messed up NWW.  I'm guessing NWN is now trying to connect throught wi-fi and its giving be the problems.Is there a way to command NWN to play off my land line?  Any other suggestions would be helpful.Thanks,Dave

Chuckles_McChuck

What OS are you using?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 09:31:05 pm »

What OS are you using?

davidhoff

Windows XP:)
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 10:37:41 pm »

Windows XP:)

Chuckles_McChuck

Lets see if this helpsIn
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 10:53:07 pm »

Lets see if this helps

In Control Panel select Network Connections

In Network Connections menu bar go to Advanced then Select Advanced Settings (if you don't see the menu bar press Alt + F)

Under the Bindings tab you should see your network protocol order which should have Local Area at the top.  If it doesn't you can use the arrow keys in that menu to bring it to the top.  You have to have administrator permission to do that.

Going to bed soon so it will be awhile before I can help further.

davidhoff

Thanks for the help; much
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 02:56:05 am »

Thanks for the help; much appreciated.  All this LAN and Bindings talk is a bit confusing and new to me so bear with me.  Under Advance Settings it has two boxes, one is for "Connections:", where the "Local Area Connection" is listed first and then Remote Access.  The second box if for "Bindings for Local Area Connection:", where there are four boxes to check in the following  order: File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, then a subset of that is Internet Protocol, then Client for Microsoft Networks, then a subset of that is Internet Protocol.  All boxes are checked.

If I double click on the Local Area Connection icon in the Network Connections screen I get some options.  Under the General tab I can click on Properties.  In Properties I can highlight Internet Protocol and click Properties.  From there under the General tab I can click Advanced.  Then I get four tabs: IP Settings, DNS, WINS, and Options.  I don't know what these mean, but under DNS and WINS I can "add" server addresses in order of use.  Wonder if that would help.

I'm gona go look through my NWN file and see if any of those files tell me where NWN is getting its internet connection.  Any help in this specific adventure would also be instructive:).

Thanks again

davidhoff

I loaded a Malwarebytes scan
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 02:32:49 pm »

I loaded a Malwarebytes scan and it found 8 dangerous items.  I think maybe the installation CD for Epson might be infected!  Hopefully this solves it.  I'll be in game in a bit...so we'll see....

davidhoff

This seems to have fixed it. 
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 06:31:45 pm »

This seems to have fixed it.  I'm embarrased to say I found an old post by me of the same thing...turns out the same fix worked before.  Probably my first experience with a corrupted CD.

Edit: I think the CD was ok, bc I just ran a scan on it; I think it's when they recommend you get the "latest updates" so it works "better" is when you get the virus from online downloads.

anything