The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Malware issue  (Read 1866 times)

davidhoff

Malware issue
« on: May 01, 2019, 02:07:46 pm »
Hi,

I tried to download Ubuntu so I could burn it to a CD (trying to get EE going this way).  Well, I think I may have downloaded a virus.  I have this folder on my desktop labeled ubuntu and if I right click the properties it shows the file size growing very rapidly with no stop in sight (goes from 1.7gb to 3gb in about 15 seconds).

If I try and delete it, then after sometime it says the recycle bin can't handle the size, so it give me an option to permanently delete it; then I do that and it warns me it contains system files that may damage my computer.

I ran avast, malwarebytes, ccleaner and one other I can't recall AMG? (I think it's avast with another name).  None have found this file or deleted it.  I can't open system restore at all; I tried in safe mode also an nay.

Any ideas on how to get rid of this file or clean my computer or maybe get system restore working?

Thanks

PS I'll try and get on discord later this afternoon when I have more time

orth

Re: Malware issue
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 02:23:33 pm »
Hi,

I tried to download Ubuntu so I could burn it to a CD (trying to get EE going this way).  Well, I think I may have downloaded a virus.  I have this folder on my desktop labeled ubuntu and if I right click the properties it shows the file size growing very rapidly with no stop in sight (goes from 1.7gb to 3gb in about 15 seconds).

If I try and delete it, then after sometime it says the recycle bin can't handle the size, so it give me an option to permanently delete it; then I do that and it warns me it contains system files that may damage my computer.

I ran avast, malwarebytes, ccleaner and one other I can't recall AMG? (I think it's avast with another name).  None have found this file or deleted it.  I can't open system restore at all; I tried in safe mode also an nay.

Any ideas on how to get rid of this file or clean my computer or maybe get system restore working?

Thanks

PS I'll try and get on discord later this afternoon when I have more time

This makes not very much sense to me at all I'm afraid. It doesn't sound like a virus. It sounds like when you right clicked properties it was counting up the size of the iso when extracted which is going to be large and going to take time to count up.

I don't know why you aren't allowed to delete it. If you could take a screenie or picture of what it tells you that might help.

If it warned you it contained system files that might damage your computer but then wouldn't let you delete it that seems double weird.

The following users thanked this post: davidhoff, willhoff

davidhoff

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 04:41:36 pm »
Ok I was able to delete the file.! I think I was in "freakout" mode last night because it was so big and growing...I was afraid that deleting it was a trojan type thing that was eating out my insides and laughing.  Anyways, thanks for the help and confidence boost to let the delete run its course.

I still need to download ubuntu.  I will try and find a safer source...I think the download I got was off a post in the Unbuntu forums.  I had to go there because Ubuntu doesn't currently issue a 32bit download anymore, so I found that one on their forums.  I'll try and look for a better source..any suggestions?

Oh also I read that when you download Ubuntu you shouldn't use winrar or other zip programs and that's exactly what I used (winrar) the last time.  It didn't create an ISO image, so I had to try and find a way to make the downloaded folder/file into an ISO image...pain.  What program should I use to download Ubuntu as an "ISO image" on to my desktop so I can burn it?  Any help would be welcome!  gona go eat lunch

Thanks Dave

orth

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 04:48:11 pm »
Download and burn the iso from this page:

This is the page:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/16.04.6/

You want 32-bit PC (i386) desktop image

This is the direct link
http://releases.ubuntu.com/16.04.6/ubuntu-16.04.6-desktop-i386.iso

You should not need to extract an iso at all, your burner program should know what to do with an iso

The following users thanked this post: davidhoff, willhoff