The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Suggested Changes to the Character Submission Wizard  (Read 706 times)

darkstorme

Suggested Changes to the Character Submission Wizard
« on: July 31, 2009, 02:48:16 am »
First, minor point - the link to the Character Submission Guidelines is no longer valid, as those guidelines have been replaced.  It should be replaced with a link to [noparse]http://forums.layonara.com/character-submissions/225662-character-submission-approvals-policies-new-players-start-here.html[/noparse].

Now, the other issue (the one I've been meaning to mention for some time), is that of the class choice fields.  I think that all Prestige classes save Weaponmaster, Duelist, Undead Hunter and Battlerager (those that can be approved on submission) should be removed from the option list, to spare new applicants confusion.

Several times we've heard the complaint "but if you can't be approved for them, why are they on the list?"  While I think that new applicants ought to read the rules, it does make things more confusing than they need to be.

Anyway, my suggestions for improving the tool, long overdue.

Cheers!

The following users thanked this post: Drizzlin, lonnarin, miltonyorkcastle, Hellblazer, geloooo

darkstorme

Re: Suggested Changes to the Character Submission Wizard
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 05:46:57 pm »
Bumping this thread, as it's still a problem.

We (that is, the character approvers) shouldn't have to say "Please remove X from your class split, as it is not approvable on submission."

Again, it would spare us one more thing to call new characters on, and would spare confusion for the players of those characters.

Thanks!

Dorganath

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 09:17:20 pm »
Sorry this was missed.

The original submission wizard was done by Talan, who has been absent for some time. If you or someone else has PHP experience, I'm sure it can be arranged to get the code supplied so that these changes can be made.

Short of that, I recommend contacting orth or OneST8 directly (e-mail is best) as I don't think they frequent the forums enough to catch this particular request.

darkstorme

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 09:26:06 pm »
Tons of PHP experience.  I can correct that anytime you want.  (Or I'll e-mail orth or OneST8.  Either way.)

Dorganath

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 10:08:44 pm »
Great!  It's probably good to contact one of them anyway then, since they'll have to provide the source code for the page.

orth

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 12:12:11 pm »
If you want to grok your way through the template and the form submission code, I've attached them.

I've already updated the link to the guidelines but didn't do the work for the dropdown selections.  You might want to remove the half races too?

Dorganath

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 12:29:18 pm »
Half-races are still valid, assuming they're old enough at submission time.

darkstorme

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 06:35:12 pm »
Aasimar and Tiefling are not, however, so they've been removed.  Working on it.

darkstorme

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 01:19:10 pm »
Changes made to both template and background code.  Untested, obviously, but it should work.

(Long overdue, of course.)