The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Forums/Web Site Moving  (Read 1406 times)

orth

Forums/Web Site Moving
« on: April 11, 2015, 03:14:32 pm »
Good afternoon folks,Just giving you the heads up that I'll be moving the forums to another server some time this weekend. I will have to take down the old server temporarily for about a half hour or so to transfer the latest db over to the new server. Once this is done the web site will be running concurrently on the old server and the new server while the DNS propagates over. If your DNS is slow to update then you will probably see a bit of a performance loss as you connect to the old web server which is interacting with the db on the new server.The new web server is faster and you'll notice a speed increase while browsing the site and forums. To summarize, you don't have to do anything, but you may experience some latency until your ISP recognizes the DNS change. At the most this should be 48 hours but in general folks should be fine very shortly afterwards.-orth

orth

I will be performing the move
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 12:07:06 pm »

I will be performing the move in about an hour or so.

If you want to force your DNS and you know how to or want to try by following guidelines like here: http://www.liquidweb.com/kb/dns-hosts-file/ then you'll want to add a line like so. 

199.188.117.229           layonara.com www.layonara.com

Don't do this yet though! Wait until I take the site down in an hour. But it's there in case you want to research it or cut and paste that line somewhere.

orth

Okay the server has been
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 02:12:46 pm »

Okay the server has been switched over. Trying to improve the speed in the case where people connect to the old one but not sure I'll be able to do that and they'll just have to manage until their DNS propagates or they perform the manual adjustment as indicated in my previous post.

anything